• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

patapuf

It's funny reading some of the posts in response to what Gies said on RebelFM in this thread. Seems to me that some people are being just as inflammatory as Gies is said to be in an effort to balance the scales.

What sticks out about this game for me now that I've finally gotten to play it after listening to all the hype since it's PC release are the following:

-combat isn't anything to put up on a pedestal. It's decent but I personally think Dark Souls or Demon's Souls do the same thing but considerably better.

-the story is mature and definitely cool (imo) but the way it's strung together and edited can be clumsy. I don't think the overall quality of the story telling, pacing, etc is above and beyond that of Mass Effect, Fallout or New Vegas. Different, yes, more mature, yes. Deeper, maybe but it does have the advantage of coming from an existing book series.

-the game seems equally as glitchy as any other big RPG I've played. Just now (and this isn't the first glitch by and means) I lost the ability to save for a good 10 minutes. I thought that the game was designed that way until I died and then got booted straight to the main menu. I wasn't able to continue from there and thought that I'd lost all my progress. Quitting to the title screen got my continue option back but I'd lost 10-15 minutes of progress.

I am playing the 360 version so the glitches might be down to that.

Long story short I think it's objectively a great game (though subjectively I find it good, not great so far) but it's far from the godly level some people claim it to be (those same people seem to think that gives them the right to spit on the Mass Effects and Fallouts).

i don't think people hating on fallout and people hating on ME are the same people. And the main points driven against mass effect in comparison to the witcher is the dualistic nature of mass effect, dividing everything between strictly good and bad and providing little consequences for your choices.

that and gies just seems to be contrarian for the sake of it.

Thrakier

Fable with tits? Nice soundbite, but total nonsense. The Witcher games have nothing in common with Fable.

It's hilarious to even claim that. Hilarious.

Whatever.

I got a package in Floatsam from some guy. A package and a message. Had that in my first playthrough as well. I didn't get who the guy was I got the package from, don't know his name and can't fidn ihm in the journal as well. Also I don't know what was in the package. There is no item in my storage...the hell?

Solo

Witcher 2 is* Fable with tits.

*If Fable were one of the best games of all time and not the piece of shit it is.

deadlast

Toys R Us.com has The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (Xbox 360) for 35 bucks when you use the promotional code 952229. But you have to pay sales tax and shipping.

Berto

I got a package in Floatsam from some guy. A package and a message. Had that in my first playthrough as well. I didn't get who the guy was I got the package from, don't know his name and can't fidn ihm in the journal as well. Also I don't know what was in the package. There is no item in my storage...the hell?
The message was from Thaler, a Temerian spy Geralt worked with in Witcher 1. The package has formulas for potions, bombs and an armor i think.

There are swords and guys and girls in both games! Can't you see it's AAAAALLL the same? It even has magic!

I also understand he doesn't like Game of Thrones. After all, it's just Lord of the Rings with tits.

Here are some more soundbites for Gies. He can use them free of charge.

Rage - Fallout with cars.
Dead Island - Far Cry with zombies.
Skyrim - Dragon Age with snow.

Kolgar

I'm on the 360 version and the speech sounds horrible. The mixing is off and sometimes it sounds like it's being played back at like... 64kbps or some absurdly low bitrate. It just doesn't sound... all that good. :/

That's one of my complaints, too. These days, it would be nice if dialog that takes place "outdoors" sounded like it took place outdoors, and not at a mic table in some recording studio. That said, the mix here is particularly offputting, as some of the voices sound low-bitrate, as you said.

Just as bad, or even worse, is that there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of spacial audio here. In many games, conversations taking place way to the right or to the left of me seem to drift from that direction, and they're quieter because I'm not standing right on top of the speaker.

In this game, I've walked around a busy room with someone's disembodied voice droning loudly right in my ear, following my every step, and it's godawful obnoxious. Takes me right out of the game and reminds me of all the other ways this game is not yet, at just a couple of hours in, living up to the insane GAF hype for me.

anyway lets stop this. don't want this thread to spiral into into a really boring opinion argument. my opinion is more factual than ur opinion etc etc

how do you actually do the ordin question? i could never find him.

He's outside the cave entrance to the left exit of the camp when you walk through the front gates.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Can anyone upload an EE savegame right after that Geralt
lifted the curse?
I've encountered this bug:

http://h11.abload.de/img/witcher22012-04-2422-fqj5m.png

Wich is apparently caused by an incompatibility between a non-EE save and a EE playthrough. Problem is: I can't go on if I don't turn that damn wheel.

Now I don't know when a patch will come out (if it's gonna come out), so, I need a save... Must be a Iorveth path, and if I may ask, with all the optional mission completed... Maybe with a magic build, but this isn't very important. Thanks to anyone who can help me. :(
For pc obviously. :(

derFeef

This weekend is Witcher 2 time, finally gonna play it. A question I have - hopefully some can answer. I prefer playing complex RPG's in my native language, so how does Witcher 2 hold up in German? Do most of the characters lose all their flair/charm due to the lack of accents like in most German game dubs?

Salaadin

How am I supposed to defeat Letho in chapter 1?

Put a Yrden between you and him. Roll back and forth if he attacks from far away. Use Aard to eat away at his Quen shield.
When he gets close, make sure he walks right into the Yrden then roll behind him and use as many heavy attacks as you can.

Once he turns to face you, drop back and repeat the above.

You only have to drop him to roughly 50% hp so hang in there.

Dodge away, Aard, Heavy hit, Dodge away, Aard, Heavy Hit. Rince repeat was my tactic.

Put a Yrden between you and him. Roll back and forth if he attacks from far away. Use Aard to eat away at his Quen shield.
When he gets close, make sure he walks right into the Yrden then roll behind him and use as many heavy attacks as you can.

Once he turns to face you, drop back and repeat the above.

You only have to drop him to roughly 50% hp so hang in there.

Cool. It's just that whenever I try to use Yrden on him it fails although I'll keep trying it.

trw

After seeing the Giantbomb quicklook I'm really glad the pc version didn't get the lightning changes. It looks better in a couple of screenshots but seeing the game in motion and more than just a screen it looks way worse than the pc. It's just washed out and devoid of life for some reason. The woods in Flotsam seems to have less life and I really like the oppressiveness in the pc. So basically, I think the reason the lightning changed was not as much for an artistic reason but more of a horsepower one.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
This weekend is Witcher 2 time, finally gonna play it. A question I have - hopefully some can answer. I prefer playing complex RPG's in my native language, so how does Witcher 2 hold up in German? Do most of the characters lose all their flair/charm due to the lack of accents like in most German game dubs?

Someone said earlier that it is very good.

I keep reading about special items (armour?) on Dark Difficulty, but to the best of my knowledge I haven't encountered any. I mean, I guess I wouldn't know because this is my first time playing the game, but am I missing something here?

P.S. "Fable with tits" is the latest in a long list of reasons to stop paying attention to games journalists. Just stop. Let's have an end to their compromised, parasitic drivel. They give us nothing. There is no critical tradition, no insight, no sense. With a tiny handful of exceptions, journalists offer nothing that publishers and developers couldn't present and promote just as well if not better themselves, with greater transparency.

This is 2012. We can get more honesty and insight from the average post GAF than the average review on a games site. We do not need 'privileged' cultural curators/arbiters to tell us what is good any more, as if their opinions are in any way more informed or more insightful than those of our peers. They can't even write well. Stop paying them with hits.

Hammer24

Banned

I´m usually the opposite, normally I play my WRPG´s in english due to bad german dub.
But this game is OK, a rather competent job (and the obnoxiously repeated lines are in any language anyway).

I keep reading about special items (armour?) on Dark Difficulty, but to the best of my knowledge I haven't encountered any. I mean, I guess I wouldn't know because this is my first time playing the game, but am I missing something here?

I haven't done the Dark Difficulty, but I think you have to get the recipe from a blacksmith and craft it.

After seeing the Giantbomb quicklook I'm really glad the pc version didn't get the lightning changes. It looks better in a couple of screenshots but seeing the game in motion and more than just a screen it looks way worse than the pc. It's just washed out and devoid of life for some reason. The woods in Flotsam seems to have less life and I really like the oppressiveness in the pc. So basically, I think the reason the lightning changed was not as much for an artistic reason but more of a horsepower one.

Really? I just took a look on youtube and the lighting in Flotsam and the firest looks a lot better and more natural with a lot more shadows on screen. It's a shame the improved lighting hasn't been ported over.

Naito

In Dark mode, every Act offers you the possibility to craft a unique armor set
(Blasphemer, Oathbreaker, Kinslayer) and a pair of cursed swords with a HP drain effect (plus a foggy screen effect...).
The diagrams, for both armors and swords, are bought from the local blacksmith and are very expensive; you also need quite a list of materials to craft them.

But they're the best armors you can get in the game.

In Dark mode, every Act offers you the possibility to craft a unique armor set
(Blasphemer, Oathbreaker, Kinslayer) and a pair of cursed swords with a HP drain effect (plus a foggy screen effect...).
The diagrams, for both armors and swords, are bought from the local blacksmith and are very expensive; you also need quite a list of materials to craft them.

But they're the best armors you can get in the game.
Ahhh, thanks, I've seen those (I'm on Act 2), just haven't bothered with them. Honestly, Dark Difficulty hasn't been at all difficult since the
Letho
fight, so I can probably do without the extra help.

anyway lets stop this. don't want this thread to spiral into into a really boring opinion argument. my opinion is more factual than ur opinion etc etc

how do you actually do the ordin question? i could never find him.

There are two gates in the camp. Use the one by where you meet Mavrick instead of the one by Roche. There is a beach area connected to a cave.

Edit: and I was on the wrong page, so beaten. But I guess this is better than an empty post.

Grisby

Urg, that beginning fight in CH2 can suck it. Died way more times at that part then any other so far. I wish I could take out the mage's supposedly helping me because they're causing the most damage with their horrible AOE spells.

I spent a long time just shouting, "Friendly fire, friendly fire!"
Fable with tits? Nice soundbite, but total nonsense. The Witcher games have nothing in common with Fable.
I've been reminded of Fable more than once playing Witcher 2. All of it pertaining to the world structure though, how you have a main town and then some surrounding areas hooked on to it. Not a bad thing at all.

Naito

Ahhh, thanks, I've seen those (I'm on Act 2), just haven't bothered with them. Honestly, Dark Difficulty hasn't been at all difficult since the
Letho
fight, so I can probably do without the extra help.

I think they're quite overpowered - if you obtain Oathbreaker you can pretty much ignore every other armor.
Regarding the cursed swords, you can actually find better ones and
Forgotten Vran Sword
is probably still the best one.

Jin

I have always wonder why Geralt need two swords. Why not just use Silver sword on both monsters and humans? When it comes to humans I don't think it matter what type of sword they're cut with since they all hurt like hell.

ced

I have always wonder why Geralt need two swords. Why not just use Silver sword on both monsters and humans? When it comes to humans I don't think it matter what type of sword they're cut with since they all hurt like hell.

I don't care for the two swords either when it comes to gameplay, I assume they are staying true to the lore with it. Personally I think the two different weapons should provide two completely different combat styles, not just one for humanoids and one for monsters.

Des0lar

will learn eventually

I recommend playing in Polish with German subtitles. So good.jpg

Maybe he loses them often?

SRG01

Because silver is considerably weaker than steel???

In the lore, silver is supposed to have magical properties while at the same time it's soft and malleable. Just think of the silver sword as a magic sword if it makes it easier for you.

I'm playing on 360 and I'm new to the series so I have a few questions that have been bugging me. I've tried looking up most of them and found some answers but they weren't quite what I was looking for.

Mutagens? From what I've read they're essentially buffs but how do I use them? Can I only use them when I gain a level? Or can I go into the Character screen and add them whenever I like?

Also, Crafting diagrams. Once I acquire and read them do I have to keep them in my inventory to continue crafting them? For instance, the grapeshot. Can I sell the diagram to a merchant and still be able to make them?

guest1321

I asked on the previous page but I think it got passed over. Can someone check and see if there is a 3D option in the video settings?

patapuf

it does matter when you need to cut through armor to get to the flesh and if you want to do so often without having to sharpen the sword all the time. Silver is actually a very poor metal to make weapons out of, gold is even worse.

krishian

Mutagens? From what I've read they're essentially buffs but how do I use them? Can I only use them when I gain a level? Or can I go into the Character screen and add them whenever I like?

Also, Crafting diagrams. Once I acquire and read them do I have to keep them in my inventory to continue crafting them? For instance, the grapeshot. Can I sell the diagram to a merchant and still be able to make them?
I think you can add mutagens whenever you want. Just make sure you don't waste the few slots you have on lesser/basic mutagens because you can't remove them. There's also a skill in the alchemy tree that makes the effects stronger.

And you need to keep the diagrams/formulas if you want to craft those items.

Top Bottom