• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
gdt5016 said:
Hmm, I have a 6770m, that's the same as this card (but apparently a little better?), and I'll be playing at 720p.

I'd love to see screenshots to see what I can expect more or less.
The 5770 = an overclocked Mobility 5870.

In other words, the 6770M is not even in the same performance ballpark.

the 6770M is as fast as a 9800 GT, and no more.

Minsc

Gold Member
Nolimit_SS said:
Should it be as bad at this, all other games up to this point worked on max/near max settings. Is my hardware that bad or is it optimization? I'm running latest drivers and cap profile as well.

I'll continue testing I guess but I'm really disappointed because I love this game so much already :(

A 4870x2 performing at a single 4870 definitely limits your performance, you should probably just wait a few days/weeks until you get a new driver and working CAP from ATI if you don't get any of the stuff from the OP working. Once there's a legitimate profile from AMD/ATI your framerate will hopefully double, allowing you to play the game on ultra.

Some people have SLI working but others use the same settings with no luck. The game needs official support and a patch or two.

Hixx

TheExodu5 said:
He's been pretty inactive this year.

He was getting abuse is some topics I noticed. Wouldn't blame him if he couldn't be bothered anymore.

Or he could just have more on his plate away from GAF :p

Salaadin

Solo said:
DennisK4 has disappeared too. Banned?

Last post I can find by Dennis was 5/16. Hes not banned. Hes probably just busy modding Bronze God Geralt into his game.

HixxSAFC said:
He was getting abuse is some topics I noticed. Wouldn't blame him if he couldn't be bothered anymore.

Or he could just have more on his plate away from GAF :p

Brain_stew is damn good, I love that guy. I always look forward to his posts especially when a new PC game hits. Hopefully he pops on soon and makes his way in here.

Just going to throw out some specs. I haven't benchmarked for FPS, but performance feels as though it's in the 45-60 range based on experience. Haven't experienced any slowdown or hiccups.

CPU: i3-2100 3.1ghz (dual core sandybridge)
GPU: 6950 2gb (oc'd and unlocked to 6970 shaders)
RAM: 4GB

Res.: 1680x1050
Turned on: SSAO, AA, highest texture settings + default high settings
Turned off: Blur, DoF

Minsc said:
A 4870x2 performing at a single 4870 definitely limits your performance, you should probably just wait a few days/weeks until you get a new driver and working CAP from ATI if you don't get any of the stuff from the OP working. Once there's a legitimate profile from AMD/ATI your framerate will hopefully double, allowing you to play the game on ultra.

Some people have SLI working but others use the same settings with no luck. The game needs official support and a patch or two.
Sure hope so, guess I'll complete witcher 1, halfway done, just wanted to test it and see how it works.

I have a 5850. Will the planned driver optimizations from AMD do anything to improve performance for single card solutions or is it only going to be beneficial for those that have crossfired cards?

Salaadin

Gully State said:
I have a 5850. Will the planned driver optimizations from AMD do anything to improve performance for single card solutions or is it only going to be beneficial for those that have crossfired cards?

The Catalyst dude on twitter said this:
We're looking at Witcher 2 for single and CF - will release hotfix driver as soon as possible
From the sounds of that, there will be something for single and CF.

The game runs well on my 5850 but I wont complain if they can make it run better.

Salaadin said:
The Catalyst dude on twitter said this:

From the sounds of that, there will be something for single and CF.

The game runs well on my 5850 but I wont complain if they can make it run better.

The reason I ask is that on my settings right now, the game runs at slightly under 30 FPS average (Ultra with uber off). If they can squeeze an extra few frames/second, I'd be golden.

Minsc said:
I have a screen in the OP where it looks better imo, in one instance anyway. There were a few people who posted certain areas would look worse without it too, but by in far, it seems most areas look better without it.
I was one of those, blinded by the sun rays. I no longer prefer it, especially in the woods. Turn that Bloom off people.

gdt

K.Jack said:
The 5770 = an overclocked Mobility 5870.

In other words, the 6770M is not even in the same performance ballpark.

the 6770M is as fast as a 9800 GT, and no more.

Daaamn. Oh well. AMD better tighten this shit up lol.

V_Arnold said:
This game will be GODLIKE in half a year, in terms of performance, btw.

Yeah. People keep saying TW2 is gonna be the new "but can it run..." game, but I expect the game to be pretty heavily optimized in the coming patches.

Mashing

I'm think I'm going to go ahead and purchase a new processor (sporting a Q6600 at moment), but I'm hoping my HD5870 will run Ultra.

mr stroke

Sullen said:
Just out of curiosity: What kind of machine can actually run this with everything on ultra and uber sampling and all that other nice stuff on?

Edit: by run it I mean at 25+ fps

currently nothing AFAIK(considering "maxed" means 1600p+Ultra+Uber)

Hopefully a patch and new drivers will change this

Salaadin

Mr. Snrub said:
Yeah. People keep saying TW2 is gonna be the new "but can it run..." game, but I expect the game to be pretty heavily optimized in the coming patches.
It feels that way. I hope it does.

Personally, I look forward to any future PC upgrades now and the thought of playing this on Ultra + Uber. Im already trying to decide if I want to just upgrade my GPU this fall or if I should grab a better PSU to handle an even beefier GPU. Probably not worth the cash but I like to think about it :p

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
My God this game feels like it needed 6 months more development time, it's just so sloppy in so many minor yet annoying ways, and some major ones too. If it had the polish seen in say, Nintendo games, it would have been the game of the forever for me, when it gets things right it's pure bliss. I'd hope they patch a lot of it but considering the state of The Witcher's so called Enhanced Edition I don't have high hopes for that. Maybe for The Witcher 3 if they focus on content and polish without having to build new technology all over again... I just got past the first town, loved the second boss fight there, yet the first one felt half finished and the cut scene before it had gone all silent despite all hell breaking loose, like they didn't even have time for sound effects and music, and the same happened again in another cut scene I just watched.... I love the game but god damn does shit like that get annoying. I don't know if it will even be my GOTY if it continues like this... Their talk of free DLC and paid expansions hopefully means they'll keep polishing things up, not just engine wise but also in the content and way gameplay handles a lot of things here and there, down to the indoor/outdoor transitions and the camera twitch...

Ultrabum

So I have a 1440 x 900 monitor, in the witcher 1 there's horrible bugs with that resolution. Any 1440 x 900 gamers playing the witcher 2?

Also, how's the 6850 do with this game?

iNvid02

mr stroke said:
currently nothing AFAIK(considering "maxed" means 1600p+Ultra+Uber)

Hopefully a patch and new drivers will change this

580 sli and 2600k 4.5ghz were getting 15-20fps on 1600p with everything on (i left aa on by mistake too with uber). i think 2x gtx 590 (basically 4 cards) could be very playable.

Nolimit_SS said:
Really disappointed in performance of my pc.

CPU: Q9450@ 3.2GHz
GPU: ATI 4870x2
RAM: 4GB DDR2
Resolution: 1920x1200
Location: First area you get when you're talking about morning with king.
FPS: 15-30, depending if it's low or high.

I tried dirt2 profile, compatafr, without them, different resolutions, low settings, high settings etc and I seem to be getting shit fps on all of them. Minimal differences except on low with all off it's around 20-25 and jumps bit higher when I stare at a wall or something. Auto detect puts things at high and I was very pleased when I saw that, but when I started it...

Should it be as bad at this, all other games up to this point worked on max/near max settings. Is my hardware that bad or is it optimization? I'm running latest drivers and cap profile as well.

I'll continue testing I guess but I'm really disappointed because I love this game so much already :(

P.S. Dirt2 profile for me makes it flicker so much it's unplayable.

Played with settings some more. Basically, dirt2 and compatafr give me same fps boost, alternate frame rendering also gives nice 5-10 fps BUT it also makes the game flicker like hell, without vsync it's unplayable, with vsync it's so tiring you couldn't play for more then a minute.
So basically try to find way around or wait for new drivers, hopefully soon!

knitoe

For now, going to lock at 30fps. Without doing that, my CF 6970s are hitting >90% load and 90C. It sounds like a plane is taking off. Hoping the new optimize CF improves performance while also lowers temp.

Truant

stabwound said:
That's most likely because of how vsync works, not the game.

Yeah, I have the same video card but a much better processor, and I can play smoothly ~30fps at all times on mostly medium-high settings at 1920x1080. The game does seem to be very CPU bound.
This was with vsync disabled.

jett

D-Member
Here's how it runs on a low-end PC: like shit. I'm not even gonna bother loading up fraps. I have a C2D 6320 and a ATI 4670, and in the time I've had it has ran everything from Crysis to Crysis 2, it has served me well. First time I classify something as unplayable. Also, with the settings it auto-detected, the game not only runs like shit, it also looks like shit.

Meh.

TheExodu5

Banned
jett said:
Here's how it runs on a low-end PC: like shit. I'm not even gonna bother loading up fraps. I have a C2D 6320 and a ATI 4670, and in the time I've had it has ran everything from Crysis to Crysis 2, it has served me well. First time I classify something as unplayable. Also, with the settings it auto-detected, the game not only runs like shit, it also looks like shit.

Meh.

The system is below the minimum system requirements. Disappointing, but not unexpected.

jett

D-Member
TheExodu5 said:
The system is below the minimum system requirements. Disappointing, but not unexpected.

Many games list requirements beyond my CPU, and yet I still run them fine at 30~ fps. I really don't want to hate on CDP...but fuck, man. This truly is The Witcher's sequel. Oh well, whatever. I have two free ps3 games coming my way to spend the time. One day I will play Witcher 2, but not today. :p

Alextended said:
My God this game feels like it needed 6 months more development time, it's just so sloppy in so many minor yet annoying ways, and some major ones too. If it had the polish seen in say, Nintendo games, it would have been the game of the forever for me, when it gets things right it's pure bliss. I'd hope they patch a lot of it but considering the state of The Witcher's so called Enhanced Edition I don't have high hopes for that. Maybe for The Witcher 3 if they focus on content and polish without having to build new technology all over again... I just got past the first town, loved the second boss fight there, yet the first one felt half finished and the cut scene before it had gone all silent despite all hell breaking loose, like they didn't even have time for sound effects and music, and the same happened again in another cut scene I just watched.... I love the game but god damn does shit like that get annoying. I don't know if it will even be my GOTY if it continues like this... Their talk of free DLC and paid expansions hopefully means they'll keep polishing things up, not just engine wise but also in the content and way gameplay handles a lot of things here and there, down to the indoor/outdoor transitions and the camera twitch...

This post is hilarious. Have you EVER played a truly buggy game? Witcher 2 has VERY minor bugs, it just needs performance optimization. Let me tell you some truly amazing RPG's which were buggy as fuck when they came out: Deus Ex, Arcanum, Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines, Witcher 1, Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Fallout 3...

Maybe you've heard of some of these games? Anyways, Witcher 2 is not nearly as buggy as any of these. Fuck, calling this game unpolished/saying it might never be optimized is just plain dumb considering:

a. it's been out for two days
b. we don't even have real drivers for it yet!

Gamers sometimes, I swear...

jett said:
Many games list requirements beyond my CPU, and yet I still run them fine at 30~ fps. I really don't want to hate on CDP...but fuck, man. This truly is The Witcher's sequel. Oh well, whatever. I have two free ps3 games coming my way to spend the time. One day I will play Witcher 2, but not today. :p

You're complaining about not being able to play a game you don't meet the min requirements for? Doesn't really matter that you've gotten away with it in the past...just means that CDP's requirements are honest.

Although the game is unoptimized ATM.

JohngPR

Compared to the first game, this game game has the polish of a game that's been worked on for 10 years. LOL

*waits for the guy that'll make a Duke Nukem Forever joke*

I just want to throw out that I'm running it on a laptop with a GTS 360M (so a pretty good laptop if this was 2009).

It auto-detected to medium and this game look gorgeous "for my computer." The framerate is a bit choppy when there are a lot of dudes, but otherwise it looks great and I still have a lot of settings to play with and turn off if I want smoother frames.

So anyone in my situation who was holding out, go for it.

BoobPhysics101 said:
This post is hilarious. Have you EVER played a truly buggy game? Witcher 2 has VERY minor bugs, it just needs performance optimization. Let me tell you some truly amazing RPG's which were buggy as fuck when they came out: Deus Ex, Arcanum, Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines, Witcher 1, Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Fallout 3...

Maybe you've heard of some of these games? Anyways, Witcher 2 is not nearly as buggy as any of these. Fuck, calling this game unpolished/saying it might never be optimized is just plain dumb considering:

a. it's been out for two days
b. we don't even have real drivers for it yet!

Gamers sometimes, I swear...

Gotta agree here...for a PC game, Witcher 2 is relatively polished. Most of the time, games generally are borderline unplayable the first week.

jett said:

Meh.

Make sure Uber is disabled. It auto detected mine to enabled and I only have an HD 4890. Game ran fine after I disabled it, even with everything else maxed out.

But I do agree with you... game looks great in stills, in motion :/ not so much. It's not terrible, but... was expecting more.

spritex

Ultrabum said:
Also, how's the 6850 do with this game?

So far I only checked it out until the start of real gameplay (gonna read all the manuals before I really begin) and it seems very promising, absolutely fine on Ultra sans Uber in 1680x1050 with 6850 and Q6600@3ghz. I expect the framrate to drop at some point but I didn't expect it to run so well to start with...

Alexios

BoobPhysics101 said:
This post is hilarious. Have you EVER played a truly buggy game?
Wonderful reasoning there. Something worse existed, so listing some of what's annoyingly wrong with this game, bugs or underdeveloped/polished features is hilarious. Great!

I don't care how long it's been out for. I bought it. There's absolutely no guarantee anything meaningful will be fixed. The Withcer 1 is still sloppy in all the same ways with mostly critical issues fixed and the rest left alone. If it will be fixed, great. Until then, I see nothing wrong with saying what I feel is wrong with the game. If you do, good for you.

Alextended said:
Wonderful reasoning there. Something worse existed, so listing some of what's annoyingly wrong with this game, bugs or underdeveloped/polished features is hilarious. Great!

I don't care how long it's been out for. I bought it. There's absolutely no guarantee anything meaningful will be fixed. The Withcer 1 is still sloppy in all the same ways with mostly critical issues fixed and the rest left alone. If it will be fixed, great. Until then, I see nothing wrong with saying what I feel is wrong with the game. If you do, good for you.

Sorry, but you sound like the epitome of the whiny, unappreciative gamers that plague the industry today. You sound like you truly lack perspective.

A CRPG comes out that's relatively bug free compared to any other CRPG that's come out in the past, and is truly a trendsetting, AAA title that gives a big middle finger to the 'PC gaming is dead lulz' bullshit...And you're going to say that it needed 6 more months in development and use the tired 'maybe in the next game they'll get it right' line because a couple of cutscenes weren't perfect? My head is spinning.

Also, about Witcher 1: Um yeah it still has problems, but those are ENGINE issues. The engine can't cope with the amount of stuff crammed into the game. Hell, they weren't even using the latest update to that engine.

Honestly, go cry in the main thread, or on another site. Maybe you'll find someone sympathetic there and you guys can go develop conspiracies about this being a console port. For anyone that's been playing CRPGs for years, this game is a godsend.

Alexios

BoobPhysics101 said:
Sorryt, but you sound like the epitome of the whiny, unappreciative gamers that plague the industry today. You sound like you truly lack perspective.
No, you sound like the epitome of the fanboy.

A CRPG comes out that's relatively bug free compared to any other CRPG that's come out in the past
Doesn't have a huge difference from Risen and Two Worlds II, imo. Most of the time the latter felt much more polished. Granted, Risen had an awful, awful ending section and Two Worlds II was fairly shallow but mechanically they were robust, in some ways better in others worse.

and is truly a trendsetting, AAA title that gives a big middle finger to the 'PC gaming is dead lulz' bullshit...
I don't care about that shit, glad to know your priorities.

And you're going to say that it needed 6 more months in development and use the tired 'maybe in the next game they'll get it right' line because a couple of cutscenes weren't perfect? My head is spinning.
It's called bringing up some examples, there's plenty more than a couple cutscenes that's all wrong. If you think it will all be fixed with future patches, in say, a few months time, what's wrong with me saying it needed that much more time in the first place? Derp?

Honestly, go cry in the main thread, or on another site. Maybe you'll find someone sympathetic there and you guys can go develop conspiracies about this being a console port. For anyone that's been playing CRPGs for years, this game is a godsend.
I've been playing CRPGs for years, neither Witcher has been a Godsent. Spiderweb's games are more so. Also, I'm not crying, you are because I offended your precious Witcher so much you couldn't let it go and had to tell me I'm oh so wrong because there are buggier games. Yay for you.

Minsc

Gold Member
Alextended said:

I had no significant issues with The Witcher 1. I could see how more sensitive people may have though.

"There's absolutely no guarantee anything meaningful will be fixed." is a bunch of BS though. You'd have to be an idiot to believe there will be no meaningful fixes between ATI/nVidia and CDP.

Alexios

I meant content/gameplay wise. Critical issues like crashes and things are almost always fixed, nothing special in that regard. I just don't see them going through the whole game and making sure things are more polished throughout as a whole experience because people are apparently willing to settle for janky stuff as long as they can brag about PCs. Even something as basic and everpresent as the main character's analog control isn't right, Geralt abruptly shifts from one angle to the next. Even games that use digital buttons only know to smooth out the animations. Minor things like this are jarring when added up (from character movement to battle animations and behaviour - for example Geralt jumping from one enemy to the next very inconsistently and unpredictably - to camera movement - as in door transitions, which Zelda has done smoothly since 1998 - to janky hit detection to enemies that don't play with the same rules you do - Letho spamming signs and shit - to whatever else, minor or major, it adds up) and set against otherwise beautiful graphics. I don't care about stills that can shame console peasants or whatever else, I care about the experience I get out of it and so far this doesn't feel AAA, it feels like a BBB studio bit more than they could chew, so yes, I do think Witcher 3 could finally hit the sweet spot without evident compromises. But hey if that happens you two can be absolutely pissed that they wasted their time with "polish" instead of have even grander design that they couldn't fully realise and didn't release 6 months earlier.

Minsc

Gold Member
Alextended said:
I meant content/gameplay wise. Critical issues like crashes and things are almost always fixed, nothing special in that regard.

Oh, i thought you meant crashing/performance stuff. I haven't played enough to know what gameplay related things need to be fixed. They did fix like 100s of major things in the EE, I think you'd have thrown up if you played The Witcher's vanilla edition.

Alextended said:
No, you sound like the epitome of the fanboy.

Doesn't have a huge difference from Risen and Two Worlds II, imo. Most of the time the latter felt much more polished. Granted, Risen had an awful, awful ending section and Two Worlds II was fairly shallow but mechanically they were robust, in some ways better in others worse.

I don't care about that shit, glad to know your priorities.

It's called bringing up some examples, there's plenty more than a couple cutscenes that's all wrong. If you think it will all be fixed with future patches, in say, a few months time, what's wrong with me saying it needed that much more time in the first place? Derp?

I've been playing CRPGs for years, neither Witcher has been a Godsent. Spiderweb's games are more so. Also, I'm not crying, you are because I offended your precious Witcher so much you couldn't let it go and had to tell me I'm oh so wrong because there are buggier games. Yay for you.

Ok, I stopped taking you seriously after you compared this game's bugginess to Risen and Two Worlds II. In addition It's painfully obvious that you don't seem to grasp how game development works nor do you understand the financial/time restraints that developers have. Plus you're shitting up a technical thread with your opinion of the game. This thread is for solving problems and measuring performance.

Alexios

BoobPhysics101 said:
Plus you're shitting up a technical thread with your opinion of the game.
No, I wrote a post and you shit up the thread to tell me my opinion is wrong, hilarious, or whatever, because there are worse, as if I said the game is bad and nobody should buy it (I didn't). I didn't comment on development processes at all and I'm pretty sure I know more about it than you do, considering what your conclusions about my ignorance are based on. And yes, Two Worlds II is far more consisted with its gameplay and presentation and whatever quality than The Witcher 2, and has far less prominent issues with many players not meeting anything especially jarring in their playthrough. Yes, Two Worlds II's story sucks, doesn't have alternate paths, etc, but that wasn't my point.

Alextended said:
No, I wrote a post and you shit up the thread to tell me my opinion is wrong, hilarious, or whatever, because there are worse games, as if I said the game is bad and nobody should buy it (I didn't). I didn't comment on development processes at all and I'm pretty sure I know more about it than you do, considering what your conclusions about my ignorance are based on.

Yes, somebody as knowledgeable as you definitely knows what they're talking about when they suggest that a (small) developer should delay a game that's been worked on for 3.5 years already another 6 months. That would be a really, really genius thing to do. I'm sure CDP has capital just flowing out of their asses and 6 months worth of development cost is a drop in the bucket.

Releasing Witcher 2 in the middle of the holiday gaming season would be a GREAT idea as well. You're a gaming development savant, you should market your skills as a consultant to as many studios and publishers as you can.

Alextended said:
My God this game feels like it needed 6 months more development time

That would fix everything!

Alexios

BoobPhysics101 said:
Yes, somebody as knowledgeable as you definitely knows what they're talking about when they suggest that a (small) developer should delay a game that's been worked on for 3.5 years already another 6 months.
Are you even reading what I'm saying? I didn't say they should do anything, I said it feels like it needed that, word to word, and said that hopefully it will be patched and hopefully Witcher 3 won't even have to be, to this extent. And you took such offense to that? Are you kidding me? Keep preaching, I'm done here. Just know, every time I play a more polished game, in any genre, on any system, I'll weep for you knowing you were crying for the last 6 months for being unable to play that same game before it was fully finalised, sitting there all worried about the developers who risked everything to do something so, in your mind, meaningless. Cheers. Go back to not taking me seriously.

Top Bottom