• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Forkball

Van Owen said:
Does anyone else know how to get rid of the weird lines on the faces? It sort of looks like you're looking at them through a screen door. I'm also not sure the user.ini settings are sticking even when I put it on read only...
I was wondering about this too. At first I thought it was something with my monitor but it seemed like it was part of the character model. Maybe Geralt sleeps on a screen door every night.

Andrea23

Forkball said:
I was wondering about this too. At first I thought it was something with my monitor but it seemed like it was part of the character model. Maybe Geralt sleeps on a screen door every night.

It's a side effect of sharpen filter, used to counterpoise the blurriness produced by MLAA.

AllowSharpen=0 (on user.ini) allows to remove it, but trust me... isn't a good idea ; D.

C2Q

Banned
This is really pissing me off. What the hell is up with this game and its under utilization of GPU. During battles it drops down to 8% usage and my fps is 8. What the fuck? I don't want to play a god damn slideshow...

gotee12

C2Q said:
This is really pissing me off. What the hell is up with this game and its under utilization of GPU. During battles it drops down to 8% usage and my fps is 8. What the fuck? I don't want to play a god damn slideshow...
Did you see my reply to your last post in this thread?

Rufus

TheDrowningMan said:
How am I supposed to get into Catalyst Control Centre to make changes there? I've installed it, but there's no sign of it anywhere.
Right-click anywhere on your desktop, first entry in the context menu. It's now called "AMD VISION Engine Control Center".

Rufus said:
Right-click anywhere on your desktop, first entry in the context menu. It's now called "AMD VISION Engine Control Center".

There's nothing there. I've tried installing it seven or eight times now and it doesn't work. This time I created a new folder to put it in and, lo and behold, the folder is empty after the "installation".

gdt

TheDrowningMan said:
There's nothing there. I've tried installing it seven or eight times now and it doesn't work. This time I created a new folder to put it in and, lo and behold, the folder is empty after the "installation".

I have the same thing. For some reason it's not there. It showed up after I updated my drivers, but then I system restored because the AMD killed my performance in this game. So, I don't have access to CCC right now.

Just wanted to say that I've sorted it out now. I was trying to install by my specific graphics card, but evidently that's the wrong way to do it on a Mac with AMDinstead having dedicated drivers. I was looking at it entirely from the Windows end of the equation and trying to install thus.

Doh.

Now, for AMD and Apple to get their acts together and release some newer drivers....

Edit: having not really PC gamed on recent years (at least not with anything visually intensive) I didn't know that the 5670 in my iMac is a mobility 5730. Downloaded the newest package for that card and all is even better. Running on medium with nothing adjusted and the performance has increased substantially. BIG improvement over the stock medium with the old drivers, in fact. :)

mt1200

Got the latest catalyst drivers with the hotfix, got the d3doverrider, forced triple buffer, disabled vsync. and still I have some random stuttering in some parts, how can I fix this?

Aurarian

alysonwheel said:
New nvidia beta drivers up now (275.50) -- anyone know if they contain the performance improvements for the Witcher?

Nope. It's supposed to be the 280.xx series from what I hear on the Nvidia forums.

So I will be cross posting this in the other thread, but I need some help. I backed up my saves for the game before wiping my HD clean and doing a fresh install of Windows 7. Everything went fine with the install, but now I cannot get my saves to load so I can continue playing. I placed all the files back where they are supposed to be, but still nothing. Has anyone else had this problem? Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

THX

Minsc

Gold Member
Str0ngStyle said:
So I will be cross posting this in the other thread, but I need some help. I backed up my saves for the game before wiping my HD clean and doing a fresh install of Windows 7. Everything went fine with the install, but now I cannot get my saves to load so I can continue playing. I placed all the files back where they are supposed to be, but still nothing. Has anyone else had this problem? Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

THX

From reading a bit about this online, consensus seems to be that it is not an uncommon issue, and is either (unlikely) your saves are set to read only, or something that got broken in the 1.2 patch. If you can get the game to run on version 1.1 somehow you probably will be fine. Otherwise, there's a chance that the upcoming 1.3 patch will fix this issue, but I haven't seen anything confirming such.

Hm. Odd thing. Downloaded Fraps to check the FPS, and it seems that most graphical settings have little or no effect. Tried the same scene, running around in floatsam, with these results.

1080p, maxed textures, bloom, some lightning. Everything else off. - avg 20fps.
1080p - same as above but without bloom - avg 22fps.
1080p with default low settings - avg 25fps.
720p with default low settings - avg 28fps.

My computer:
Laptop with CoreI7 720q processor.
Ati 5830
4gb Ram
Win7 64
Catalyst drivers vers 11.6

This doesn´t seem right. Games like Portal 2, Mass Effect 2 and the Total War games are running almost perfect on this computer.

knitoe

CecilRousso said:
Hm. Odd thing. Downloaded Fraps to check the FPS, and it seems that most graphical settings have little or no effect. Tried the same scene, running around in floatsam, with these results.

1080p, maxed textures, bloom, some lightning. Everything else off. - avg 20fps.
1080p - same as above but without bloom - avg 22fps.
1080p with default low settings - avg 25fps.
720p with default low settings - avg 28fps.

My computer:
Laptop with CoreI7 720q processor.
Ati 5830
4gb Ram
Win7 64
Catalyst drivers vers 11.6

This doesn´t seem right. Games like Portal 2, Mass Effect 2 and the Total War games are running almost perfect on this computer.
It's probably you are cpu limited. This game seems to be very demanding on the cpu.

knitoe said:
It's probably you are cpu limited. This game seems to be very demanding on the cpu.

Even so, putting everything I can to a minimum should be able to push the FPS 30fps, when 1080p maxed textures and plenty of other eye candy gives me around 20fps.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
CecilRousso said:
Even so,.

No really, that's the literal definition of being cpu-bound, if you get X fps with all the eyecandy on you'll most likely get the same even with all of it off, obviously depending on various degrees of cpu limitation.

coopolon

Wow. This game is unplayable on my C2D@3.6/5870. FPS just keeps dropping into low 20s with 100% cpu utilization. It just beats the hell out of my cpu. I'm surprised they even had dual core as the minimum because I have a pretty hefty dual core.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
coopolon said:
Wow. This game is unplayable on my C2D@3.6/5870. FPS just keeps dropping into low 20s with 100% cpu utilization. It just beats the hell out of my cpu. I'm surprised they even had dual core as the minimum because I have a pretty hefty dual core.

Yup

I used to get massive drops just running around Flotsam on my old C2D and thought maybe i should upgrade my gtx 260 sooner, but i got a good deal on an Phenom X6 with motherboard/ram combo and man did it make a difference.

Now i still average about ~30 fps on my gtx 260 @ high 1080p, but it smoothed out the frame drops in Flotsam big time.

coopolon

AwesomeSauce said:
Yup

I used to get massive drops just running around Flotsam on my old C2D and thought maybe i should upgrade my gtx 260 sooner, but i got a good deal on an Phenom X6 with motherboard/ram combo and man did it make a difference.

Now i still average about ~30 fps on my gtx 260 @ high 1080p, but it smoothed out the frame drops in Flotsam big time.

Yah, reading through this thread some people are reporting much better experiences though, as well at various random places I found via google.

Is there something I should turn off that is CPU intensive? I've tried with BoobPhysics low and medium custom .ini's and neither do anything to help. And this is just in the prologue I'm talking first 5 minutes of the game.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
coopolon said:
Yah, reading through this thread some people are reporting much better experiences though, as well at various random places I found via google.

Is there something I should turn off that is CPU intensive? I've tried with BoobPhysics low and medium custom .ini's and neither do anything to help. And this is just in the prologue I'm talking first 5 minutes of the game.

You know what i actually was able to smooth things out with the expense of texture quality.

Try putting everything on high, but put texture down scale on low. It smoothed out areas where i got massive drops on my C2D and the texture downgrade isn't too noticeable besides Geralt's face.

Let me know how it works out for you.

Edit: Try out this config i just tweaked. It should slightly downscale the textures of the environment, but not too noticeable and keep Geralt's face detailed during close ups.

[Engine]
CustomRenderingSettings=1
PerformancePlatform=1

[Rendering]
TextureDownscale=1
AtlasTextureDownscale=1
DetailTextureDownscale=0
MaxTextureSize=2048
MaxAtlasTextureSize=2048
TextureMemoryBudget=900
TextureTimeBudget=10
MaxCubeShadowSize=1024
MaxCubeShadowCount=2
MaxSpotShadowSize=1024
MaxSpotShadowCount=2
FoliageDistanceScale=1.0
MeshDistanceScale=1.0
CharacterLodGameplayDownscale=1
AllowBloom=0
AllowShafts=1
AllowAntialias=1
AllowBlur=1
AllowDOF=0
AllowDecals=1.0
AllowVignette=1
AllowSharpen=1
AllowRain=1
AllowSSAO=1
AllowMotionBlur=0
AllowScatterDOF=0
AllowCutsceneDOF=1
DanglesLimiter=1
ShadowQuality=3
ShadowedLights=3
Fullscreen=1
VSync=0
UberSampling=0

coopolon said:

I get more than fine FPS -- istr 30-50fps in Flotsam, 30-40 in chapter 2 -- with the following config on my c2d e7200@3.16ghz, 4gb, gtx560 system:

[Engine]
CustomRenderingSettings=1
PerformancePlatform=1

[Rendering]
AllowAntialias=1
AllowBloom=1
AllowBlur=1
AllowCutsceneDOF=1
AllowDOF=1
AllowDecals=0.5
AllowMotionBlur=0
AllowRain=1
AllowSSAO=1
AllowScatterDOF=0
AllowShafts=1
AllowSharpen=1
AllowVignette=1
AtlasTextureDownscale=0
DanglesLimiter=1
DetailTextureDownscale=0
Fullscreen=1
MaxAtlasTextureSize=2048
MaxCubeShadowCount=1
MaxCubeShadowSize=256
MaxSpotShadowCount=3
MaxSpotShadowSize=512
MaxTextureSize=2048
MeshDistanceScale=1.2
ShadowQuality=1
ShadowedLights=2
TextureDownscale=0
TextureMemoryBudget=700
UberSampling=0
VSync=1
That's at 1650x1080 with no significant loss of pretty, except for a bit of a reduction in ground LOD and no motion blur. Turning on the dangling objects limit and turning down decals made a difference to me I think, but that could have been wishful thinking on my part.

edit: html

coopolon

Thanks guys. Turns out my problem was actually GPU drivers. I assumed it was CPU since I was maxing CPU performance and it didn't improve with changes in resolution or dropping the render settings, but it must have just been some weird GPU thing. Updated to the newest AMD drivers and I am still using 100% cpu but am now getting consistent 40-60 fps in the prologue.

I'm really glad. I was trying to tell myself it didn't matter and I'd be fine just waiting for my eventual upgrade, but I was still pretty bummed.

Hm. The task manager shows at most 1% CPU usage on my Win7 64 bit machine with Core I7 720Q processor. That seems a bit strange (I´m really not up to date on how processors should behave nowadays).

kevm3

Just got the game today at Amazon for $37. I definitely need to play with some of the settings because it's a bit difficult getting into this game after the ultra smoothness of the Witcher 1. I'm going to have to play with some of these settings to boost up that framerate.

wilflare

despite pre-ordering the game from GOG, i'm still stuck on chapter one.

AMD Phenom II X2 550BE @ X4 3.5GHz w/ Noctua U12P
MSi 790FX-GD70
Sapphire HD5830 Xtreme
Team Elite 1333 DDR3 2X2GB
DELL 2209WA 1980x1050

running Ultra with Ubersampling OFF
doing well so far

coopolon

kevm3 said:
Just got the game today at Amazon for $37. I definitely need to play with some of the settings because it's a bit difficult getting into this game after the ultra smoothness of the Witcher 1. I'm going to have to play with some of these settings to boost up that framerate.

Haha, I guess that just shows how old my machine is, The Witcher 1 was not at all a smooth experience for me. I played it again just before starting the sequel and in the last act with the fire, and the second to last act in the fields I'd get some real choppiness.

Tom Penny

Finally got this game. I'm getting 30-40 FPS consistent on a GTX 460 and my 2500K at 4.0 ghz. :) I just shut off bloom , motion blur, uber sampling, light shafts and no vcync. The game looks incredible at 1080p I'm assuming the game gets way more demanding further in because that's way better than I thought.

Kambing

So i just bought the Witcher 2 today thanks to the Steam sale and am about 20 minutes in. So far i am very impressed by everything, especially the graphics. But one thing irritates me and i was wondering if any of you have found something around it.

Basically i am using the the Ultra+Config made by Boobphysics. I know the config works (already made the .ini file read only) because bloom is now not present in the game, however, i still seem to be having a lot of texture pop-in. Like foilage and characters pop-in during the first level. Is this normal?

Another thing that i seem to be experiencing is slow texture streaming during cutscenes. For example Geralt's face may look un-textured during the beginning of a conversation, but as the conversation switches from and back to Geralt, his face will then textured. I know Crysis 1 had a lot of texture streaming, but at least you could disable it. I tired looking at OP and could not find any info regarding this, so if anyone has any ideas, i would really appreciate it.

EDIT: I am adding a link to my steam profile in case anyone is curious to see what the texture streaming looks like. http://steamcommunity.com/id/kesucian/screenshots/

HooYaH

Kambing said:
So i just bought the Witcher 2 today thanks to the Steam sale and am about 20 minutes in. So far i am very impressed by everything, especially the graphics. But one thing irritates me and i was wondering if any of you have found something around it.

Basically i am using the the Ultra+Config made by Boobphysics. I know the config works (already made the .ini file read only) because bloom is now not present in the game, however, i still seem to be having a lot of texture pop-in. Like foilage and characters pop-in during the first level. Is this normal?

Another thing that i seem to be experiencing is slow texture streaming during cutscenes. For example Geralt's face may look un-textured during the beginning of a conversation, but as the conversation switches from and back to Geralt, his face will then textured. I know Crysis 1 had a lot of texture streaming, but at least you could disable it. I tired looking at OP and could not find any info regarding this, so if anyone has any ideas, i would really appreciate it.

EDIT: I am adding a link to my steam profile in case anyone is curious to see what the texture streaming looks like. http://steamcommunity.com/id/kesucian/screenshots/

Yep, there are pop-ins, even npc pops in cutscenes. Streaming textures is the norm in the game.

knitoe

Kambing said:

I haven't experience that extreme pop-in / texture loading, but then again, I have a pretty high end PC. What are your PC specs?

CecilRousso said:
Hm. The task manager shows at most 1% CPU usage on my Win7 64 bit machine with Core I7 720Q processor. That seems a bit strange (I´m really not up to date on how processors should behave nowadays).

You have a similiar spec to me. i7 M620 @2.67GHz w ATi HD5850. The CPU bottlenecks us, i don't know why, its more than capable going by the specs. Anyways, heres my config which allows me to play the game ~30fps-40fps. It only drops when there are lots of NPC's in towns but even then it should never drop below 25.

The task manager is showing that because the game is minimised i imagine, when its in that state it wont update or render thus not hogging the CPU.

Code:
[Rendering]
AllowAntialias=1
AllowBloom=0
AllowBlur=0
AllowCutsceneDOF=1
AllowDOF=0
AllowDecals=1.0
AllowMotionBlur=0
AllowRain=1
AllowSSAO=0
AllowScatterDOF=0
AllowShafts=1
AllowSharpen=1
AllowVignette=0
AtlasTextureDownscale=0
CharacterLodGameplayDownscale=0
DanglesLimiter=0
DetailTextureDownscale=0
FoliageDistanceScale=1.6
Fullscreen=1
MaxAtlasTextureSize=4096
MaxCubeShadowCount=2
MaxCubeShadowSize=2048
MaxSpotShadowCount=2
MaxSpotShadowSize=2048
MaxTextureSize=2048
MeshDistanceScale=1.6
ShadowQuality=2
ShadowedLights=2
TextureDownscale=0
TextureMemoryBudget=800
TextureTimeBudget=10
UberSampling=0
VSync=0

Also lower the res to 1600x900 or 720p. Hope this helps you enjoy the game. Also remove the FPS counter, itll drive you insane.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Tom Penny said:
Finally got this game. I'm getting 30-40 FPS consistent on a GTX 460 and my 2500K at 4.0 ghz. :) I just shut off bloom , motion blur, uber sampling, light shafts and no vcync. The game looks incredible at 1080p I'm assuming the game gets way more demanding further in because that's way better than I thought.

I was able to run the game in the mid 30s to 40s on a gtx 260 with Light Shafts and triple buffering enabled. Enable light shafts, they are glorious.

I'm sure since your specs are superior to mine that you can enable those settings and still get a really smooth experience. Also i think chapter 1 is a good way to gauge how the game will run for you in later chapters. If you can run around Flotsam and get decent frames then you should be set.

Kambing

HooYaH said:
Yep, there are pop-ins, even npc pops in cutscenes. Streaming textures is the norm in the game.

Thanks for the info. If it does occur throughout the game it is a total immersion breaker for me -_-

knitoe said:
I haven't experience that extreme pop-in / texture loading, but then again, I have a pretty high end PC. What are your PC specs?

PC Spec is:

- i5 2500k 4.6 ghz
- Stock GTX 570
- SSD
- 8GB RAM (1600mhz if i am not mistaken)

I don't seem to experience this problem in other games, but maybe it could be just my pc or how the game is built, like HooYaH said.

Gvaz

Banned
I beat the game with a lower spec computer and didn't have as much of a problem with it than you did.

It's got streaming everything though, that's why theres barely any loading screens. You can either stop or ignore it/deal with it.

I'd much rather take some minor pop in (this isn't Unreal 3 engine pop-in), than have a billion loading screens any day.

knitoe

Kambing said:
PC Spec is:

- i5 2500k 4.6 ghz
- Stock GTX 570
- SSD
- 8GB RAM (1600mhz if i am not mistaken)

I don't seem to experience this problem in other games, but maybe it could be just my pc or how the game is built, like HooYaH said.
With those specs, you shouldn't be having the problem. The user guide that you are using says should have at least 1.5GB of video ram. Your card only has 1.2GB. Maybe, try lowing the mesh and foliage settings. If that doesnt help, your overclock maybe not stable. Revert to stock and test. If problem persist, reinstall drivers.

Veal

Is there anything that can be done about the VO completely disappearing during the "Indecent Proposal" mission? I thought it come back after completing the mission, but it's all still gone!

Kambing

Gvaz said:
I beat the game with a lower spec computer and didn't have as much of a problem with it than you did.

It's got streaming everything though, that's why theres barely any loading screens. You can either stop or ignore it/deal with it.

I'd much rather take some minor pop in (this isn't Unreal 3 engine pop-in), than have a billion loading screens any day.

Yeah, i have come to realize this. I do prefer pop-ins as opposed to screen loadings but my biggest problem was probably the texture streaming which thankfully seems to have gone away when i edited the user.ini file.

knitoe said:
With those specs, you shouldn't be having the problem. The user guide that you are using says should have at least 1.5GB of video ram. Your card only has 1.2GB. Maybe, try lowing the mesh and foliage settings. If that doesnt help, your overclock maybe not stable. Revert to stock and test. If problem persist, reinstall drivers.

Yeah it's weird, i changed the vram budget in the config file from 1GB to 1.2GB and the texture streaming seems to have disappeared completely. Thanks for the help with trying to diagnose the problem, i really appreciate it =)

SOLDIER

Recently got this game on the Steam sale, and I used the second ini configuration (the Medium-High Performance Focused one), since I have a Radeon 5770.

I got a significantly better performance with it, but I was wondering: if I make any changes in the advanced settings, will it overwrite all the changes I made on the ini file?

And if I just want to use the ini to make further additions, does anyone have any suggestions on values I can increase without sacrificing the framerate?

For reference, these are my specs:

System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F5, 7/16/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.22 GB
Total Virtual Memory 8.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.67 GB
Adapter Description ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

jvalioli

After reading this thread I'm surprised how well the game runs on my laptop. I have a GT540M and I'm running between Ultra and High settings.

I've been reading up on SLI performance, and am still confused. Changed the SLI flag and got excellent performance but had the light issue. Without the SLI flag I can't even get 60fps lock (no uber) with GTX580 SLI and 4.5Ghz 2600k.

Is still the best course of action to do the SLI flag and change the frame render in the nVidia control panel?

LiK

weird, just went to GOG and they dont have the 1.2 patch in my library

edit: looks like i need to get it off the official site. dunno why they don't have it in my library

edit2: game not found so patcher quits. great.

LiK

edit: finally updated to patch 1.2

i only have one of the DLCs in my inventory. The Blue Stripe Combat Jacket. Where's the rest?

Helmholtz

I'm about to get back into this game after taking a break. I have an HD6870, and the settings I'm using right now are boobphysic's ultra+ ones. Should I stick with those, or are there better ones I should try out? The game ran pretty good with those but I wouldn't mind testing out some other settings as well.

Yaska

LiK said:
edit: finally updated to patch 1.2

i only have one of the DLCs in my inventory. The Blue Stripe Combat Jacket. Where's the rest?
check for gloves, pants. That's what I got atleast.

Top Bottom