• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Is there any possible way I could run this game on any settings, even low, with these specs?

Nvidia Geforce 310M
Intel Core i3 CPU M 350 @ 2.27GHz
4 GB DDR3 RAM
1280 X 720 resolution

I really doubt it will run well, but I just wanted to check.

seldead

just wondering if anyone else has a similar problem, i have a retail copy of the game and when i press "start the witcher 2' it no longer proceeds to open up the launcher, nothing happens. the only way i can play the game is by going straight to the witcher2.exe and this means i can't change my settings and that i may possibly not get updates in the future.
so yeah, any advice?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
seldead said:
just wondering if anyone else has a similar problem, i have a retail copy of the game and when i press "start the witcher 2' it no longer proceeds to open up the launcher, nothing happens. the only way i can play the game is by going straight to the witcher2.exe and this means i can't change my settings and that i may possibly not get updates in the future.
so yeah, any advice?

have you patched with 1.2 patch?

you can do it without autoupdater.

seldead

Yep, this only started happening as of today, though i haven't played the witcher 2 in a while with steam sales going on and such.
Perhaps i should just reinstall?

subversus

seldead said:
Yep, this only started happening as of today, though i haven't played the witcher 2 in a while with steam sales going on and such.
Perhaps i should just reinstall?

hm, I don't know, but you can try. Probably you should do a clean install and install patch 1.2, but it's a very strange problem.

seldead

Hmm things have taken a turn for the worse. So on reinstalling the game I'm greeted with this message not long after inserting the second disk and the installation is completely aborted.

Trying again achieves the same results, and now i can't even delete the witcher 2 folder filled with half the files because i apparently dont have permission to remove the movies folder. HELP??

Mithos

Gold Member
seldead said:
Trying again achieves the same results, and now i can't even delete the witcher 2 folder filled with half the files because i apparently dont have permission to remove the movies folder. HELP??
The majority of programs if not all, have problem with C:\Program Files\ and C:\Program Files (x86)\ only way I have fixed it with as little pain as possible is running every program that need access to those locations as administrator.

Oh, and if you can't delete a file or folder, Unlocker is a great tool to force it: http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/

seldead

The funny thing about that is i ran the install as an administrator to see if it would fix my previous problem of the launcher not appearing, perhaps its a coincidence but I didnt get this error when i didnt run it as admin.

subversus

seldead said:
Hmm things have taken a turn for the worse. So on reinstalling the game I'm greeted with this message not long after inserting the second disk and the installation is completely aborted.

copy files from DVD to HDD. Also go to the official site, there is a support section, there is a more detailed solution for this problem.

Gvaz

Banned
seldead said:

Why don't you go back to a normal admin and turn UAC on if you're going to install files to program files? You'd make life easier for yourself.

Unless you already are? It doesn't sound like it though...

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So, does Vergen have the worst performance in the entire game? I think I remember reading that, because I did *something* and now it's not an unplayable mess. It also seems to run way smoother when it's not raining and foggy. If this is as worst as it gets then I can finally continue but if it gets worse, I won't

seldead

Gvaz said:
Why don't you go back to a normal admin and turn UAC on if you're going to install files to program files? You'd make life easier for yourself.

Unless you already are? It doesn't sound like it though...
I am most definetly a normal admin and UAC is most definetly still on, so that couldn't have been the problem.
But yeah I ended up fixing it by deleting the folder in safe mode and reinstalling the game not as admin. Thanks for the help guys.

GSR

Just popped into this thread since I noticed the game wasn't running as well as it should on my computer. Now I sort of want to wait for 1.3, since I'm using a 1280x1024 monitor. No ETA, though?

(Also, I take a sort of satisfaction in having done the Dragon part of the intro first, now that I see they'll remove that option in 1.3.)

jackdoe

GSR said:
Just popped into this thread since I noticed the game wasn't running as well as it should on my computer. Now I sort of want to wait for 1.3, since I'm using a 1280x1024 monitor. No ETA, though?

(Also, I take a sort of satisfaction in having done the Dragon part of the intro first, now that I see they'll remove that option in 1.3.)
Haha. I did the Dragon part first pre-patches. Got my ass handed to me as I didn't know any of the mechanics.

I thought this was interesting.

I upgraded my CPU from a Q6600 to an i5 2500K and it looks like the Q6600 was holding me back a shit ton. The game averages between 50-70fps now compared to 30-50 most of the time before.

Here are a couple of shots in the exact some location to illustrate the difference.

Game feels so much smoother now, I'm tempted to play it again for a 4th time.

Vandervecken

Neo Member
toasty_T said:

I upgraded my CPU from a Q6600 to an i5 2500K and it looks like the Q6600 was holding me back a shit ton. The game averages between 50-70fps now compared to 30-50 most of the time before.

What's so much better about the i5 I wonder?
Same number of cores, the only real difference I see is in the clock speed.
Does Witcher 2 take advantage of more than 1 core on a quad-core?

Gvaz

Banned
toasty_T said:

Here are a couple of shots in the exact some location to illustrate the difference.

You should convert those pngs to jpg

I'm really tempted to get The Witcher to "stress test" my new rig. I'm wondering how well it will run on i5 2500k, EVGA GTX 460, and 4GB Ram. Does anyone with a similar system have any idea?

subversus

Vandervecken said:

because i5-2500k kicks ass. I'm in the same boat. A dramatic difference.

Nekrono

toasty_T said:

Vandervecken said:
subversus said:
because i5-2500k kicks ass. I'm in the same boat. A dramatic difference.
Indeed the 2500k is a total beast, I was running a Core 2 Duo at 2.2Ghz with a 6950 and I was getting around 15-20 FPS in Floatsam (I think that's the name of the first big town), now after I upgraded to a 2500k at stock I'm getting 45-60, amazing, I'm really looking forward to playing this I just need to beat the first one.

subversus

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
I'm really tempted to get The Witcher to "stress test" my new rig. I'm wondering how well it will run on i5 2500k, EVGA GTX 460, and 4GB Ram. Does anyone with a similar system have any idea?

The Witcher 1 won't stress your rig because it uses only one core. TW2 will do this but you'll find that's also a good game.

Nekrono said:
Indeed the 2500k is a total beast, I was running a Core 2 Duo at 2.2Ghz with a 6950 and I was getting around 15-20 FPS in Floatsam (I think that's the name of the first big town), now after I upgraded to a 2500k at stock I'm getting 45-60, amazing, I'm really looking forward to playing this I just need to beat the first one.

I'm happy I listened to the advice suggesting I spend a little more to get Quad instead of Dual Core. I feel like I've easily extended my builds life by doing so. Now if I can just get it all setup tonight!

subversus said:
The Witcher 1 won't stress your rig because it uses only one core. TW2 will do this but you'll find that's also a good game.
Sorry, I meant to say The Witcher 2. I'm really interested in the game, truthfully there is a whole slew of PC only games from the past half a decade that I've never been able to play, but now I will be able too with max quality. The best part is I'm used to 15-25 FPS on crap low settings, so honestly get 30 FPS at 1920X1080 with Ultra High Settings (according to one chart) is fine with me!

subversus

so honestly get 30 FPS at 1920X1080 with Ultra High Settings (according to one chart) is fine with me!

you'll get more than that in most locations.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Vandervecken said:
Witcher 2 is multithreaded, so yes.

Horns

Any differences in XP 32 bit vs. Windows 7 64 bit performance? I ask because GTA IV performed much better on XP then 7 for me.

Right now I meet the very minimum requirements with my graphics cards. My rig: Windows 7 64 bit/XP 32 bit (dual boot), 4MB ram, 2.3 quad Phenom and two 512MB Radeon HD 2600 crossfired. I get slightly under 30 FPS and some areas stutter a bit, but nothing deters from the fun the game is.

subversus said:
you'll get more than that in most locations.
Cool. The specs I saw were done during patch 1.1, so I figured there is a chance they might have improved since then.

I swear though Eastern Europe seems like a hotbed for the best graphics engines, but requiring God Tier Machines and tend to be great, but buggy games.

Hawk269

My friends rig has the same memory, gpu, but a lesser cpu than you and it runs the game really well? To better answer your question thought, you need to tell us at what res you are playing.

Horsemama1956 said:
The lighting looks a lot different in each shot as well, like they are different settings.
That might me true. I ran ultra (no uber of course) in the more recent one compared to the tweaked one in the older pic. I'll check again a bit later.

Oh and sorry about the pngs. Too used to the screenshot thread lol.

demolitio

Easy_D said:
So, does Vergen have the worst performance in the entire game? I think I remember reading that, because I did *something* and now it's not an unplayable mess. It also seems to run way smoother when it's not raining and foggy. If this is as worst as it gets then I can finally continue but if it gets worse, I won't
By far the worst performance in the game for me. Normally it's still way above 30 there but when the rain and fog come toward the end, I get like 20. It made the last section a mess for me, but nothing else in the whole game hurt my FPS like it did there.

I changed the settings to mimic what I think the original was using. Only reason I'm stuck with this pic is because it's one of the few I took with the fps counter on.

The jpeg compression is hideous.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
toasty_T said:

Yep! I did that same upgrade back in March or April and the difference was huge. I figured similarly clocked quad core processors wouldn't perform too differently, but damn was I wrong.

Gvaz

Banned
what settings can I expect to run on with a ati mobility radeon Hd 5650 graphics card that has a gig of memory plus four gigs of ram? Oh and my processor is an Intel I 5 clocked at 2.4 I'm sure that factors into it as well.

Hawk269 said:
My friends rig has the same memory, gpu, but a lesser cpu than you and it runs the game really well? To better answer your question thought, you need to tell us at what res you are playing.
Sorry for the delay in getting back.

It will be both 1920X1080 (40 inch Samsung TV) and a 20inch 1080i TV of which I'm not sure of the resolution, I think its ~1440X???

Does knowing the refresh rate matter? I'd have to check for that later.

I've heard the combat is a lot better in 2 then in 1, so I'm tempted to not get 1 now and just skipped to 2 even if it is more money. That said 49.99 for a new game again is nice. :)

subversus

Sorry for the delay in getting back.

It will be both 1920X1080 (40 inch Samsung TV) and a 20inch 1080i TV of which I'm not sure of the resolution, I think its ~1440X???

Does knowing the refresh rate matter? I'd have to check for that later.

I've heard the combat is a lot better in 2 then in 1, so I'm tempted to not get 1 now and just skipped to 2 even if it is more money. That said 49.99 for a new game again is nice. :)

don't forget to check textures in ini file. Sometimes launcher fails to set them to 2048-4096.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I apologize if this has been covered already, but any time it rains in the game, shit gets really weird and glitchy for me. I am running on a GTS360 graphics card and an i7 processor, ASUS RoG laptop, High settings at 720p.

Could someone post an optimized user.ini settings for this machine?

Core 2 Duo @ 3000 (unOCed)
Radeon HD 4850 512mb
4gb RAM

When I played through the game, I set it to ultra and then tuned down the settings, eventually turning off most effects but blur fx (not motion), rain, decals and sometimes light shafts. Up till Flotsam or maybe earlier with bloom, too.
Bah, I'll post a pic so you get the idea.

qyy1av.jpg

Thing is that I got playable fps (most of the time) sometimes even "high" fps (name it fourty-ish with a fifty-ish ceiling), but lots of stuttering when running (or even walking). I guess that could be somewhat addressed with an optimized user.ini and that's why I ask now, because I'd like subsequent playthroughs when I'm done with the books (and the first game (And the papercrafts lol)).

Thanks and feel free to add this config description to the OP or whatever!

Oh, and I could perfectly do with playing on a 1440x900 window, that boosts about 5fps!

Thank you, will do! But I feel like those settings are way too much for my poor 4850. SSAO+DoF+AA+vsync! That's crazy, I'll have to go without that all, probably.

Drazgul

So what's the latest on 1.3? Hopefully it won't be delayed because of the DRM legal mess? Been meaning to finally start this but if the patch is just around the corner - well I'm in no real hurry.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
demolitio said:
By far the worst performance in the game for me. Normally it's still way above 30 there but when the rain and fog come toward the end, I get like 20. It made the last section a mess for me, but nothing else in the whole game hurt my FPS like it did there.
Awesome :). Vergen used to run like absolute shit, 17-20 FPS range, but a few driver updates later it's 24+, stable 30 in some locations, 35 when indoors. So that's amazing to hear.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Drazgul said:
So what's the latest on 1.3? Hopefully it won't be delayed because of the DRM legal mess? Been meaning to finally start this but if the patch is just around the corner - well I'm in no real hurry.

I dont think its been dated yet.

Top Bottom