• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

terrdactycalsrock said:
what settings can I expect to run on with a ati mobility radeon Hd 5650 graphics card that has a gig of memory plus four gigs of ram? Oh and my processor is an Intel I 5 clocked at 2.4 I'm sure that factors into it as well.

Im just re posting my question since a new page opened up. I know its a question most pc gamers hate, but I havent been into pc gaming that long. So I want to know what to expect.

sflufan

Banned
I have a feeling you'll see the 1.3 patch relatively soon now that Valve has updated Steam so that you'll no longer have to download the WHOLE FREAKIN' 9 GIGS of TW2 each and every time CDP released a patch!

Minsc

Gold Member
terrdactycalsrock said:
Im just re posting my question since a new page opened up. I know its a question most pc gamers hate, but I havent been into pc gaming that long. So I want to know what to expect.

There's a couple of youtube videos you can see if you just search google for "5650 witcher 2". It leads you to believe somewhere around medium/high at 15-30fps, though I'm not sure I'd expect that much. At the very least it seems you could probably run it alright with some degree of lower settings, but a 5650M is not too fast a GPU.

i try to copy some of the configs to my .ini but i cant save them.
says its not permitted... what am i doing wrong that i cant even use notepad right??

knitoe

Templar Wizard said:
i try to copy some of the configs to my .ini but i cant save them.
says its not permitted... what am i doing wrong that i cant even use notepad right??
Make sure the file isn't "Read only". Also, run notepad as administrator.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
en_c6fd3dd7.png

Patch 1.3 is here! July, 20, 2011 The long-awaited patch 1.3 is finally here. We apologize it took so long, but we had to make sure that all of the issues were addressed accordingly. The update includes a plethora of fan-requested improvements, including difficulty adjustments for the game’s Prologue, support for a variety of aspect ratios and a host of other gameplay tweaks and fixes. Next to the long list of changes, this update also brings along free DLC - a quest called “A Sackful of Fluff”. Steam patch will become available at later time.

http://en.thewitcher.com/patch1-3/

Salsa

Im amazed at how GPU intensive this is. I installed my new card today (gtx 560ti) and the game runs perfectly fine with ALL settings on the highest possible (didnt tried uber) and im using my old ass E7200@2.5ghz

Cant wait to see how it runs once i install my i5 2500k

Nekrono

SalsaShark said:
Im amazed at how GPU intensive this is. I installed my new card today (gtx 560ti) and the game runs perfectly fine with ALL settings on the highest possible (didnt tried uber) and im using my old ass E7200@2.5ghz

You're in for quite a surprise!

I was running the game with a 6950 2GB and a Core 2 Duo @2.2Ghz which is somewhat similar to your setup and man when I got my 2500k I went from 15-20 FPS to ~50 in the first big town which is pretty demanding from what I hear.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Ah, the Steam peasants still wait for the new patch.

It took me around 2 minutes to install it. Another 10 gig patch? How unfortunate.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
SalsaShark said:

I'm wondering what areas you're running because the game can run like absolute shit on my E8500 @ 3.16ghz regardless of settings.

Edit: I thought Steam's new content delivery would allow for small Witcher 2 patches?

Leonsito

Item storage has been added. Players can now store items from their Inventory at inns. To leave items in storage or collect previously stored items, talk to innkeepers.

A ‘Junk’ panel has been added to the Inventory to provide greater clarity in item classification.

A new menu option has been added under ‘Extras’ – this enables players to view in-game animated sequences (flashbacks, memory flashes, dreams stolen by harpies) outside of the game.

Nice

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
SalsaShark said:

Nice. I might buy by a 3GB GTX 580 prior to my impending upgrade. I'd tried playing the game with my current lowly HD 5750, but as I'm sure you can imagine the experience wasn't particularly pleasant. There was Triss' hi-res tits and bush and... that's about it.

Edit: I'm currently running an E6420 @ 3.2GHz and 2GB DDR2-800, FWiW. I've posted in this thread before asking what benefits an upgrade to a GTX 580 would bring.

Hmm, when I try patching I get error message, "installed game version is invalid or incomplete", retail disk, how can you tell which version you have?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
dreamer3kx said:
Hmm, when I try patching I get error message, "installed game version is invalid or incomplete", retail disk, how can you tell which version you have?

same here.
damn these people can't get the third patch right.

Otheradam

1.3 broke some of my controller controls. I can't select spells and items or meditate. D pad doesn't work. Wonder if its because of a mod I installed.

Edit: yup. it was the map and targetting mod.

JaseC

Zzoram said:
So will the Steam patch be properly sized or what?

I imagine the updated content server delivery system is being gradually patched into servers servicing an equally gradually increasing amount of games/files. So, the answer is, wait and see.

Minsc

Gold Member
I suppose it would be important to emphasize this:

thewitcher.com said:
NOTE: Please keep in mind that all of the fan-made modifications are incompatible with the newest update. Make sure to uninstall them to avoid in-game issues. We apologize for the inconvenience.

So when you update, make sure to remove any mods and wait for newer versions that are compatible with 1.3.

Coldsnap said:
Also does the camera spin around after walking through doors for anyone else? I'm using the controller.

Its always done this for me, so it wouldn't necessarily be unique to 1.3.

ss_lemonade

Coldsnap said:
Also does the camera spin around after walking through doors for anyone else? I'm using the controller.
They should fix this. I really have no idea what the reasoning is behind the 180 camera spin when opening nearly any door.

Horns

In response to:
thewitcher.com said:
NOTE: Please keep in mind that all of the fan-made modifications are incompatible with the newest update. Make sure to uninstall them to avoid in-game issues. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Does uninstalling mean deleting the files?

Crap. I'm in the middle of Chapter 2 on my Ivoreth playthrough with the no weight limit mod. My weight is probably disgustingly over the limit. Should I just sell everything I don't need? Do crafting components, diagrams, herbs etc. have weight? Or is it just equipment? What's the typical weight limit for a level 20 character?

Easy_D said:
I'm wondering what areas you're running because the game can run like absolute shit on my E8500 @ 3.16ghz regardless of settings.

Edit: I thought Steam's new content delivery would allow for small Witcher 2 patches?

Isn't the E8500 a dual core? I've read that the Witcher 2 runs somewhat terribly on dual core CPUs. One of the few games optimized for quad core CPUs. My older Phenom quad doesn't go above 70% running the game on high/uber settings.

Kyaw

Sell all the junk items. You can buy back the crafting items if you need them back.

Don't sell the rare ones though, you will need it in the next chapter or so and you won't be able to buy it back because the merchants are changed.

JaseC

Easy_D said:
dit: I thought Steam's new content delivery would allow for small Witcher 2 patches?

It does, technically. But the rollout will be gradual. It'll be some time before every Steam-distributed item will be delivered via the new system.

Complistic

GillianSeed79 said:
Crap. I'm in the middle of Chapter 2 on my Ivoreth playthrough with the no weight limit mod. My weight is probably disgustingly over the limit. Should I just sell everything I don't need? Do crafting components, diagrams, herbs etc. have weight? Or is it just equipment? What's the typical weight limit for a level 20 character?

Can't you just drop everything on the ground, save, then come back for it after the patch?

Top Bottom