• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artanisix

DA:I is complete shit. I refunded it after 2 hours.

Witcher 3 is so, so much better, in literally every way.

Also where can I get a fuckin haircut.

boy this mission where Geralt has to stay in a tiny circle to protect someone and if he steps out of the circle it hurts sure is fun

Whose bright idea was it to make this kind of mission in a game where the main character starts flipping the fuck out every time you touch an attack button?

One of the greatest video games ever™

thatJohann

Do yourself a favor and turn down the Right stick sensitivity for camera. World of difference.

Go to options, control settings, right stick sensitivity - camera, turn left till you reach .80

Hooks

boy this mission where Geralt has to stay in a tiny circle to protect someone and if he steps out of the circle it hurts sure is fun

Whose bright idea was it to make this kind of mission in a game where the main character starts flipping the fuck out every time you touch an attack button?

Haha I just did this last night, Honestly thought I had to reload my game, Ran out of health pots :(

Enjoying the game so far after around 10 hours in, and while I'd say I enjoy it, there are definitely things that bother me. I should start by mentioning that I didn't play the previous games. I did my best to read up and watch videos, but I've still been somewhat confused by some of the story material. Obviously, i can't expect to cater to me entirely, since is the third entry in the series, but I do think something more could be done to give context, aside from the glossary.

With this is in mind, I think the devs could've done a better job with the fundamentals to ensure that newcomers DO have a somewhat decent experience with the game.

Movement/Controls: Even after adjusting the right stick settings, I'm still a little frustrated with the controls. Sprinting and jumping can feel awkward, looking/examining takes a confusing amount of precision, and just getting on my horse was a challenge starting out. Like others have said, something just feels off.

Menus: I get that this is an RPG, and PC has definitely influenced the layout of the menus, but I still think navigation can be confusing. The game obviously has a lot of depth to many of its systems, but even with tutorials, it can almost seem too much.

Open World: I find that the world is very nice to look at and the atmosphere is very nice, but I think the enemy leveling can discourage exploration. As one of my friends put it ", why am I getting level 20 quests from areas I barely got to at level 3. I'll probably forget the dialogue when I finally do the quest". I hate to compare the game to Skyrim, but I think it did a much better job of creating a challenging environment without inserting your ability to access it.

I'll still play more of the game, since I do enjoy some of it, but in my opinion, I don't think it deserves as high of praise as it's been given so far, and a lot of that sentiment isn't even motivated by my lack of experience with the story.

I know it's still earlier to form an overall opinion regarding Witcher 3, but how is it compared to Dragon Age: Inquisition in terms of fetch quest and other things?

Was not the biggest Inquisition fan :(

I'm still struggling at fighting drowners, especially when they attacked at the same time. Igni doesn't help that much. I had to lure them one by one if possible.
2nd hardest difficulty, by the way.

Drowners are the worst. I'm playing highest difficulty and it is brutal. Definitely have to lure them one by one. The Quen spell usually helps, but it's still tough.

thatJohann

I keep trying to really like this game but man sometimes it's just so damn overwhelming. So much loot. I don't understand any of the alchemy and custom armor etc. just a mess. I'm just hacking and slashing to enjoy graphics and level up. Can't even find a blacksmith lol

Where can a fella in Velen go to get a shave?

I know it's still earlier to form an overall opinion regarding Witcher 3, but how is it compared to Dragon Age: Inquisition in terms of fetch quest and other things?

Imagine the scale of DAI combined with actually interesting and well designed sidequests.

Dragoshi1

I find myself easily outmatched a lot, just got done speaking with the one fat lord guy about his wife and daughter, and started roaming, low on funds, and find myself being hit hard by lowly things like Wolves and Ghouls, playing on normal difficulty too, and new to the Witcher.

However, I do enjoy roaming and solving simple problems for people.

Like the frying pan one, that was weird.

God, the lock-on and time before combat starts can be completely awful at times.

I've died a couple of times before Geralt even gets a chance to pull out his sword.

Hopefully we get a fix for that pretty quickly.

Edit:
That doesn't sound good. I'm playing on medium and will be facing him shortly.

Depends on the player really. I downed him on the first try on Death March. Not a particularly difficult fight with good usage of Quen.

I'm in the mood for an RPG and I own an Xbox One. So far my options are The Witcher 3 or Dragon Age Inquisition. I have no prior knowledge in either series, but I like the whole idea of creating a custom character more than getting stuck with a character.

DA: I is on-sale for only $35 right now so I kind of want to go for it instead of The Witcher 3. I thought I'd ask for some opinions here first though, since I'm assuming a lot of people here have played both games and NeoGAF tends to have good opinions on games.
I would get Inquisition first.

benzy

For new page...

PS4 version: slide up or down on the touch pad to open map. Click on touchpad to return to game without having to hit circle twice. Hold the touchpad down to access inventory.

Awesome, thanks. Now if only there was a quick button press to switch off/on the HUD.

It's an RPG so you will be going to get things for people from time to time. However unlike DA:I these quests actually have some proper story to them that fill out the world further. They don't feel like fetch quests even if that's what they are, at least certainly not in the sense that it was and DA:I where it was basically do this for power. In The Witcher you'll do it because the story behind it is what you're after.

drotahorror

Does anyone know what it means when a trophy says - Trophies can be turned in for a reward ?

I have a couple and wouldn't mind turning them in.

bede-x

DA: I is on-sale for only $35 right now so I kind of want to go for it instead of The Witcher 3. I thought I'd ask for some opinions here first though, since I'm assuming a lot of people here have played both games and NeoGAF tends to have good opinions on games.

Do you like Ubisoft Game? Lots of pointless collectables and repeating the same quests endlessly? If so, DA: I is the game for you.

If not, go with Witcher 3.

Jolkien

I never played witcher 2 but now I'm being asked questions, how should I answer them?

There's no wrong answer, it's to simulate a save file from witcher 2 since you told the game to ask you about it and not use the default world state.

There's a video in the OP that explains each choice.

vwluke

Neo Member
Hey guys not sure if this is a coincidence but it seems like turning off map rotation and npc chatter seems to improve fps on PS4 quite a bit

Jolkien

Does anyone know what it means when a trophy says - Trophies can be turned in for a reward ?

I have a couple and wouldn't mind turning them in.

You can sell them. Vendors offer you different price for them if you don't want to equip them for the stats or abilities they bring you.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
There's no wrong answer, it's to simulate a save file from witcher 2 since you told the game to ask you about it and not use the default world state.

There's a video in the OP that explains each choice.
Right now I'm on kindle and the op takes too long to load so if could post it for me I'll be thankful

Drowners are the worst. I'm playing highest difficulty and it is brutal. Definitely have to lure them one by one. The Quen spell usually helps, but it's still tough.

Getting the ability that makes Quen 'explode' when broken has also been helpful in my experience (also on Death March difficulty). Without it, you can easily get into a situation where one enemy breaks Quen and another takes a huge chunk of your life immediately afterwards. And with fast enough enemies, a single one may even break Quen and still have time to get another hit in before you can react (or hitstun or blockstun or whatever). It does't really pushback enemies though, it's more like a mini-stun that gives you time to cast another spell, or more often, roll backwards.

This stutter or whatever it is I'm experiencing for the first time in any AAA game that I can remember is completely distracting and disorienting. Pray that it's patched.
PS4

not sure if it's been mentioned but if your galloping and if you just hold X and let go of the thumbstick your horse will follow the road on its own. It makes races so easy.

Also I am loving the side quest I haven't even done any main quest after the prologue. I've just been doing quest and getting items. Anyone know where the best shops to sell items are at?

cheezcake

I had one major assessment for university today and one more tomorrow, its taking all my damn willpower not yo play this game. Sitting there all nice and preloaded in my steam library as well =(

Kaversmed

Tried to go in "guns blazing", so to speak, but got hammered hard! Combat is great when you get a hang of it, you really need to be patient and methodical even when you're fighting low level grunts. Often I find it better to dodge (O on PS4) instead of rolling (X) and then a quick slash with the sword. Rinse and repeat... but don't get swarmed, keep your distance!

Xtyle

Is this just my PS4? My Witcher 3's trade screen and the various UI screen like items, characters, alchemy, etc, has a very splotchy background that looks just like screen artifact...uh, kind of like super low res background image or movie...

Tried it on my computer LCD too and got the same thing.

Jobbs

Banned
Should I start this game one difficulty up from normal, as the Gamespot review suggested, or just play normal?

I like to be challenged but not tortured. I also get bored if something is trivial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom