• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpekata

Banned
Can someone talk me out of doing this? >_<

I'm up to the point in Witcher 3 where I've met up with
Vennifer
, and because I keep meeting these characters who talk like they know each other, it makes me want to go back and just play Witcher 1 and 2 already. I'm one of those people who just has such a hard time playing a story driven sequel to a game when I don't have the whole back story experience first hand.

A lot of the history isn't even in the games, but the books. It's just part of the "appeal" just dropping you in the middle of the world with an established story. And even then the books are generally full of this type of stuff.

Yennefer is mentioned in the previous games but not present. All of that history is from the books.

hlhbk

Not sure if this has been posted yet. To disable the message that a gamepad has been detected over and over again:

http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/36k02v/question_disable_the_gamepad_detected_box/

Go to your Witcher 3 folder location and go into this folder:

"...\The Witcher 3\bin\config\base"

Open up "hidden.ini" with notepad.

Change "LockControlScheme=0" to "LockControlScheme=2"

This will get rid of the annoying message box and will always show the controls for the controller. You still can switch to your KB/M whenever you want, but it won't display the KB/M controls on the hud.

Exuro

It seems most of the stuff in Witcher 3 wasn't in the previous games. Yennifer for example, a huge part of W3, wasn't in the previous games. Or the old man. Or Ciri. Just play the game and catch up with videos tbh
The old man? Vesemir? He's in the first game.

Citadel

Even though I have a pretty beefy PC (R9 290, 16GB Ram, i& 2600L @ 4.4ghz), I decided to pick it up on Xbone. (Yes, call me crazy, dumbass, stupid silly bastard, anything you want.)

It's installing and I'm ready to sink my teeth into this. Basically going in blind .. didn't like TW 1 and got bored of 2 quickly. I'm going to give this a chance. That being said, any Xbone users in the house? How does it run, and should I (or not) install the patch?

Also, damn, that Thank You message from CDPR was really nice. They really packed a lot of stuff (material and digital) into this.. Really impressed.

sTiTcH AU

The combat is the worst part of the game by a mile. After doing the tutorial I was super impressed with it. But it doesn't seem to work that well out in the world. The combat system is awesome when its 1v1 but multiple enemies at once its just shit. Feels like it's damn near impossible when every single encounter is 3+ enemies attacking you at once.

FHIZ

Granted, I know my TV is a bit too far from the back of my couch where I slouch into, but holy shit is a lot of the text in this game unreadably small. Even with my glasses (which are a pretty low prescription to begin with) I had to lean really far in to see what the hell anything in a store was. Sure, this wouldn't be a problem if I was sitting three feet away on a PC, but ridiculously tiny text seems to be a big issue with console games recently. It's like the Dead Rising problems people had when they still were using SD TVs, but text has just got smaller since.

Getting the ability that makes Quen 'explode' when broken has also been helpful in my experience (also on Death March difficulty). Without it, you can easily get into a situation where one enemy breaks Quen and another takes a huge chunk of your life immediately afterwards. And with fast enough enemies, a single one may even break Quen and still have time to get another hit in before you can react (or hitstun or blockstun or whatever). It does't really pushback enemies though, it's more like a mini-stun that gives you time to cast another spell, or more often, roll backwards.

Wow, I was wondering what you meant by 'getting the ability' for Quen. Short story short, I didn't realize there were other categories other than combat. So, uh, thanks for that! lol

dedhead54

You can always revert to a previous save (it keeps a few) and perhaps save the mission for a bit later down the line.

I ended up getting out and then I went to the quest page to see what level is suggested for that quest. 33. No wonder. I am level 4 still. I'll be coming back to that one a little further down the road haha.

This is my first CDPR game and getting a thank you note from them was awesome. I already like these guys :)

Same. The package as a whole just felt really, really nice. Map, soundtrack, "thanks for buying" note, stickers, slip cover. Seriously a fantastic package.

Maybe it's the keyboard and mouse controls... but Geralt is constantly running further than I want him to. He just ran off a bloody cliff and I died.

I've never had so much trouble controlling a character before. It just feels sluggish.

erawsd

Really? Neither Yen or Ciri are in the previous? they were the ones I was most interested in learning about, but if the previous games have nothing, that's kinda deters me.

You can read about them on the Wiki or something but its honestly not a big deal. Theres no important details or references you're missing out on by not knowing their relationship.

tmac456

everyone loving it so far? gonna throw it in and get the update downloaded and all that tonight, then dive into it tomorrow (ps4)

Maybe it's the keyboard and mouse controls... but Geralt is constantly running further than I want him to. He just ran off a bloody cliff and I died.

I've never had so much trouble controlling a character before. It just feels sluggish.

I wish he didn't have a turning circle. Reality aside, 0 turning circle is life.

For your mouse, be sure to enable hardware cursor in video graphics settings to get raw input

Wakka212

So I'm loving just about everything in this game EXCEPT the feel of movement outside of combat.

I can tell that generally traversing the environment will get frustrating because of how erratic and clunky Geralt's movement is. I wish they polished that aspect up so actually controlling the character as your exploring the world feels satisfying.

Otherwise I really have no complaints!

I'm loving the depth of practically all the mechanics in the game and the strategy required during combat (playing on blood and bones) keeps it very engaging. Music, graphics, and sound effects beautifully bring this world to life and I can't wait to delve even deeper this weekend. Good stuff!

Ok I'm about to be in trouble. I just woke my GF up at almost 4 in the morning laughing my head off at something I must have missed somewhere along the line. I'm guessing I'm headed toward mid game so spoilers here if you haven't done the Broken Flowers quest yet.

I was talking to a shopkeep who happens to enjoy cross dressing, power to him. But what I wasn't expecting was to turn around mid-dialogue between posting to GAF to catch nothing but the line "Vladimr sucks flacid cock".
Thanks for getting me in trouble CDPR, it was worth it!

So I have a sword with a 9% chance on hit to light people on fire. Watching people catch on fire from the sword and stopping fighting to put out the flames is pretty cool.

The combat is the worst part of the game by a mile. After doing the tutorial I was super impressed with it. But it doesn't seem to work that well out in the world. The combat system is awesome when its 1v1 but multiple enemies at once its just shit. Feels like it's damn near impossible when every single encounter is 3+ enemies attacking you at once.

I don't mind it, in fact I'd go as far as to say it's great when it works properly. The problem I have is that when you come across enemies that are jumping around all over the place, Geralt doesn't move fast enough, and so, you end up with a situation where you're flailing around while trying to get a lock onto several enemies flying all over the place.

Portugeezer

So I'm loving just about everything in this game EXCEPT the feel of movement outside of combat.

I can tell that generally traversing the environment will get frustrating because of how erratic and clunky Geralt's movement is. I wish they polished that aspect up so actually controlling the character as your exploring the world feels satisfying.

Otherwise I really have no complaints!

I'm loving the depth of practically all the mechanics in the game and the strategy required during combat (playing on blood and bones) keeps it very engaging. Music, graphics, and sound effects beautifully bring this world to life and I can't wait to delve even deeper this weekend. Good stuff!

True, movement feels clunky. Sometimes I just want to move slowly, but there is little leeway from walking to running.

Any impressions on Death March difficulty from folks? Mostly very challenging but satisfying-to-beat changes or are they more just tedious or poorly scaled? Specifically anyone already about 7-8 hours in and fighting some of the more varied monsters.

kamicowzi

Banned
Level 1 Geralt...level 7 wraith...Blood and Broken Bones difficulty. That took a minute or two but I really wanted that place of power.

suikodan

Granted, I know my TV is a bit too far from the back of my couch where I slouch into, but holy shit is a lot of the text in this game unreadably small. Even with my glasses (which are a pretty low prescription to begin with) I had to lean really far in to see what the hell anything in a store was. Sure, this wouldn't be a problem if I was sitting three feet away on a PC, but ridiculously tiny text seems to be a big issue with console games recently. It's like the Dead Rising problems people had when they still were using SD TVs, but text has just got smaller since.

Came to post this. Yeah, it's true that I'm "far" from my 46in TV but my eyes bleed trying to read something from this game. Everything is so small and it's worse than The Witcher 2.

Hopefully something will come out of it. To be able to actually read, I either have to
1- stand in front of the TV
2- use the zoom feature of the PS4

sTiTcH AU

I don't mind it, in fact I'd go as far as to say it's great when it works properly. The problem I have is that when you come across enemies that are jumping around all over the place, Geralt doesn't move fast enough, and so, you end up with a situation where you're flailing around while trying to get a lock onto several enemies flying all over the place.

I am up to a part where I am fighting a couple of wraiths and honestly against them I just feel hopeless.

CoLaN

Finally a game able to completely capture my attention for hours and hours. I couldn't find one for ages; im slowly progressing and exploring every inch of the map.

Trogdor1123

Im about to turn it on guys and its my first Witcher game. I hear the combat is pretty brutal(as in unforgiving), is it that bad in this one?

Wakka212

I had the same difficulty when initially dealing with multiple enemies but learned to embrace auto-lock on instead of manual. You can't be too aggressive, especially in the beginning, and have to rely on dodging and rolling more than the parry stance when many enemies are attacking. Also keep in mind the different signs you have available and actually use them after you roll away and gather yourself.

I don't think it'll ever be buttery smooth combat, but with time it gets better.

Jolkien

Any impressions on Death March difficulty from folks? Mostly very challenging but satisfying-to-beat changes or are they more just tedious or poorly scaled? Specifically anyone already about 7-8 hours in and fighting some of the more varied monsters.

It's pretty darn hard, but fair. None of my deaths have been cheap. I always made a mistake or got way too greedy.

Preparations is half the battle, just like in Witcher 2 on the highest difficulty setting (forgot the name)

Jsheldon

Even though I have a pretty beefy PC (R9 290, 16GB Ram, i& 2600L @ 4.4ghz), I decided to pick it up on Xbone. (Yes, call me crazy, dumbass, stupid silly bastard, anything you want.)

It's installing and I'm ready to sink my teeth into this. Basically going in blind .. didn't like TW 1 and got bored of 2 quickly. I'm going to give this a chance. That being said, any Xbone users in the house? How does it run, and should I (or not) install the patch?

Also, damn, that Thank You message from CDPR was really nice. They really packed a lot of stuff (material and digital) into this.. Really impressed.

The digital install if you've gone that route already includes the day 1 patch. I found the tutorial section to be smooth frame rate wise (I don't notice the "jutter") and I've loved every second. Graphics look pretty Damn amazing given HW limitations. Enjoy.

Dresden

Feels pretty manageable. Fights with multiple wraiths are terribly frustrating though.

Wakka212

True, movement feels clunky. Sometimes I just want to move slowly, but there is little leeway from walking to running.

On top of the wonky dead zones between standing still, walking, and running, Geralt tends to have quite the delay in response times when you want to change directions.

I understand platforming isn't the studio's particular strong suit, but fixing this aspect of the game would have done wonders for the overall feel.

Sotha_Sil

I had my doubts buf, as always, gaf blows the issues out of proportion. Every complaint I've read about I would file under nitpicking after I experienced them first hand.

Yup, the little I've seen (about two hours) has been great so far. Once I get a grip on all of the systems at play, it should be even better.

sTiTcH AU

I had the same difficulty when initially dealing with multiple enemies but learned to embrace auto-lock on instead of manual. You can't be too aggressive, especially in the beginning, and have to rely on dodging and rolling more than the parry stance when many enemies are attacking. Also keep in mind the different signs you have available and actually use them after you roll away and gather yourself.

I don't think it'll ever be buttery smooth combat, but with time it gets better.

Yes I am thinking of forgetting about the parry stance other than 1v1 encounters. I will try out auto lock on as well. Thanks for the tips. I think the game is really good and I really want to see everything in the world but the combat puts me off.

Sora_N

Oh god this is hilarious when I bump into NPCs, hahahaha. They scream like I stabbed them in the leg or something.

I think the problem is that Geralt is running by default, is there a way to set him to be walking instead?

DNAbro

Really impressed by the sidequests. Having a good time with it. Nothing's blown me away so far but for the start I'm really liking it. Combat is ehh though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom