• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, the combat is such a disaster, no parry feedback, geralt moves like a boat, the soft lock and hard lock are all over the place. The AI can even be exploited to the point where they can't hit you back reliably. Man the combat really is shit, but it's like endearing how shit it is.

But goddamn the rest of the game is so incredible it makes it hard to stay mad at the game.

I'm not yet completely sold on the combat in this being as bad as part 2, but to your point - first rate "B" movies are the ones that try in earnest to be great, but just aren't. You can't fake that shit, just manufacture a "B" experience, it has to come from an honest misstep. These guys keep falling on their face with the combat in these games, but damn if the overall experience doesn't come across about as far from a cynical cash-in as you could reasonably ask for.

KingKong

That's mainly a combat thing. Both running and signs use stamina, which regenerates much more slowly.

I mean yeah they could have done it separately in/out of combat I guess but whatever, that's what your horse is for.

well they can tell what mode you're in I believe, so no reason not to. Again, its not a big deal but that little 2 second hitch when you run out and have to stop is still dumb and annoying

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Getting pegged with arrows but can't block... instead the game thinks I want witcher sense.

lol... god.

There should be some way to force him into combat mode. Even if I charge the group I still get hit will arrows because it takes him forever to switch to combat. And lock-on is pos in this game.

boy this mission where Geralt has to stay in a tiny circle to protect someone and if he steps out of the circle it hurts sure is fun

Whose bright idea was it to make this kind of mission in a game where the main character starts flipping the fuck out every time you touch an attack button?

jpd1408

Banned
Been playing for a couple of hours and was wondering if there is a way to quick save on the ps4? I don't like having to go to the menu after every small side quest I complete. Also should I sell weapons etc or just downgrade everything??

I can't get used to having to select the sign I want when I press LB, I want it to select when I release the button like in w2... Does anyone know if you can toggle this? I can't find it in the options.

Jolkien

boy this mission where Geralt has to stay in a tiny circle to protect someone and if he steps out of the circle it hurts sure is fun

Whose bright idea was it to make this kind of mission in a game where the main character starts flipping the fuck out every time you touch an attack button?

Are you talking about Velen quest spoiler
the brother in law you gotta protect for the shady guy with a pass ? You can be near no need to be in the circle it's just to indicate who you need to protect and where they are

I don't get what I'm doing wrong here. I'm doing tons of side stuff but my level is still usually lower than the main quests I'm trying to do.

It cannot be mentioned enough how jank this game really is so let me say it again.

psychotron

Did a bunch of side missions tonight and it's clicking for me much better. The stuttering on PS4 isn't horrible but it could be better. I slowed the camera movement speed down, which helped a lot. Geralt moves like a snail but the camera is lightning quick. Slowing it down makes things sync up better.

Text is way too small. I have a 60" TV and need to lean forward on my couch to read the shit!

Otherwise, loving it.

Where do you get saltpeter and calcium equum for grapeshot from? I'm level 5, and I still haven't found more than 2 saltpeter and 1 calcium equum.

Yeah. I'm in the same boat. I guess I'll just explore and do the easiest quests I can.

I am in this boat too. All my missions are for level 6, and I just only hit level 5.

Jolkien

Yeah. I'm in the same boat. I guess I'll just explore and do the easiest quests I can.

It's not the end of the world if you are a few level behind the ennemies, I killed with relative ease a monster lvl 7 when I was level 2. When they get a skull next to their level that's when you should run.

Main quest gives a lot of xp, killing monsters gives a bit. It's not a game where you level fast, I'm about aat 13 hours played and I'm almost level 5.

III-V

The game is great. Really happy with this title. Feels huge, I am still in the first area.

Could be better: Whoa motion blur on PS4 is insane, camera speed had to be slowed down, framerate, frame pacing can all be improved.

Guys anyone know if sidequests can be done after the story or not because there is a lot of them out here and i wanna do more story and don't wanna miss out on any of them

Phased

How are you guys healing without meditation? I'm out of food and money and have no idea how to progress.

I made a Swallow potion ASAP. It helps a ton, and auto refilling your potions if you have alcohol (which is plentiful pretty much everywhere) is a godsend. That feature alone takes away one of my biggest frustrations from Witcher 2.

thatJohann

Do yourself a favor and turn down the Right stick sensitivity for camera. World of difference.

Go to options, control settings, right stick sensitivity - camera, turn left till you reach .80

:)

Got the game on my lunch break and was wondering why the hell the case felt so heavy. I figured it must be the folded map because I figured the soundtrack was digital. Just opened it finally and wow! Thank you note right from the start, and a PHYSICAL soundtrack inside? That's some Atlus level shit right there. Haven't even installed yet and already impressed lol

M.W.

For new page...

PS4 version: slide up or down on the touch pad to open map. Click on touchpad to return to game without having to hit circle twice. Hold the touchpad down to access inventory.

Finaj

Damn, this game is hard. I'm on the easiest difficulty and I can't even get the griffon down to half health before it kills me.

MarkusRJR

I'm in the mood for an RPG and I own an Xbox One. So far my options are The Witcher 3 or Dragon Age Inquisition. I have no prior knowledge in either series, but I like the whole idea of creating a custom character more than getting stuck with a character.

DA: I is on-sale for only $35 right now so I kind of want to go for it instead of The Witcher 3. I thought I'd ask for some opinions here first though, since I'm assuming a lot of people here have played both games and NeoGAF tends to have good opinions on games.

I'm still struggling at fighting drowners, especially when they attacked at the same time. Igni doesn't help that much. I had to lure them one by one if possible.
2nd hardest difficulty, by the way.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
it feels like they wrote down a big list of things open world games had that people disliked and decided to implement them poorly

- equipment degradation
- equip burden (I know you can upgrade it easily, so why even have it)
- huge fall damage
- stamina when running (which replenishes extremely quickly so seems especially pointless)

I'm still enjoying the actual game but all these things make it less fun to play and don't add anything to the experience

Wow. It's like gamers don't want an economy, preparation, risk, or any real semblance of decision-making in their RPG's anymore. Just give me the best sword and whack my way through the cutscenes and occasional sidequests?

I love that shit you people hate!

Jolkien

I'm still struggling at fighting drowners, especially when they attacked at the same time. Igni doesn't help that much. I had to lure them one by one if possible.
2nd hardest difficulty, by the way.

They are probably the monster type that killed me the most so far. A huge pack of Nekkers is quite hard too.

I'm in the mood for an RPG and I own an Xbox One. So far my options are The Witcher 3 or Dragon Age Inquisition. I have no prior knowledge in either series, but I like the whole idea of creating a custom character more than getting stuck with a character.

DA: I is on-sale for only $35 right now so I kind of want to go for it instead of The Witcher 3. I thought I'd ask for some opinions here first though, since I'm assuming a lot of people here have played both games and NeoGAF tends to have good opinions on games.

Witcher 3 is a far superior game in almost every metric.

I still enjoyed DA:I quite a bit but if you can only get one, get Witcher

Audioboxer

For new page...

PS4 version: slide up or down on the touch pad to open map. Click on touchpad to return to game without having to hit circle twice. Hold the touchpad down to access inventory.

That map tip, game changer. Was getting fed up going to the map via 2 clicks only a few hours in lol. Even looked on the options screen for a map shortcut.

Amount of content on the map is OCD hell. I get anxious looking at it every time.

Corpekata

Banned
The fall damage threshold is pretty silly. I climbed a slightly high fallen arch segment and walking off nearly killed me. Couldn't have been much more than 10 feet in the air. Even I can do that Geralt.

Soriku

Just wondering, does this game allow you to skip any cutscene, or just some? How do they balance this with the choices you make?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

If I was forced to pick one, I'd go with The Witcher. So far, the side content is far more meaningful and I prefer the combat in a bit more despite most people hating it. That being said, if making your own character means a lot to you, then maybe DA:I is better for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom