• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
I'm about to either drop the game down to easy or give up. This fucking wherewolf fight is god damn impossible. FUCK

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
10 hours into the game so far and I've just started the first quest :p Really fun world to explore, enjoying go to all the question mark areas a lot and generally messing about.

K.Sabot

Booted game up on ps4 watched opening cutscene while downloading patch, finish cutscene and patch, patch, have to watch the cutscene again lol no skipping.

Phionoxx

Upgraded silver sword while still in White Orchard? Must have missed it. I found the schematic for the upgraded steel sword in WO but still was using the starting witcher silver sword.

HeelPower

So like..The first village in the game is every bit as detailed as locations like Flotsam.

The world is truly something else.

Riding the horse is a joy as well.

Furyous

About 30 minutes in and I'm already overwhelmed. So many button inputs, lol.

AND THE FUCKING TEXT IS SMALL AS SHIT. I'm with you fellow dudebro. Shit is overwhelming as shit, yo. You've got your alchemy menu for crafting items from your inventory. Then you've got your crafting menu for weapons then your crafting menu for armor. Then you've got to keep track of three different currencies.

It's tradeoff between asking for money and trying to get rewards later.

Is it normal to be constantly poor? I never have much currency.

You can ask the first guy you come across for 50 crown as payment, the healer gives you 50 crowns as well. The rest of the stuff I've got comes from looting animals, monsters, and selling herbs found in white orchard. This woman asked me to get her frying pan from her house. I went in and raided the entire place and gave her the can't find the pan yet speech while I ganked some more stuff.

What's a good strategy for dealing with monsters that gang up on me? Igni doesn't work as well as it should considering I'm level 1.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
tfw when you're trying to heal up on hard.

yh2xCLq.jpg

Robiin

Weird, one of the quests is telling me to "read the letter" but I don't have it!! maybe I dropped the letter by mistake?
Is it the one quest note you got after diving next to a bridge? Because it happened to me too. I ran back and forth a few times between that place and the wind mill and somehow it just popped into my inventory. It's supposed to be under quest items in your inventory.

NastyBook

Holy Eye Strain, Batman! Text in this game is a fucking nightmare to read unless you're right up on the screen. I hope they patch in a text size option, and fast.

Other than that, I'm enjoying myself.

JSoup

Banned
Let's say I've never played the first two games.
Is this one built in such a way that I'm not going to be completely lost, or are the first two required reading?

Mikeside

Holy cow I love this game.
I'm 7 hours in and just through the prologue (though I did a lot of the sidequests)

This is such a huge improvement on Witcher 2 in just about every way.

I'm thirsty for more, but I have to be up for work in 5 hours :/

Phionoxx

I noticed my potions and bombs replenished themselves. .. how?

If you meditate and have some type of alcohol in you inventory, 1 unit of alcohol will be consumed and then your potions / bombs / maybe oils? will be replenished. If you don't have any alcohol in your inventory it won't happen.

Codiox

Jesus been running through novigrad for an hour and can't find a fucking Smith for swords. This city is too big. Also to everyone who is overwhelmed by the first part of the map, wait till you get to no mans land. Hours and hours, men, hours and hours.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
So why isn't the free DLC up on the PSN store? I found it on the XB1 store last night, was hoping it would be added to the PSN Store with today's update.

DrSlek

About to fight the Griffin! Not sure if my level 2 is ready, but I'll give it a go.

There's a pattern to it. Use Aard to stun it, heavy strike then back/roll away until Aard is ready again.When it flies into the air and swoops at you, shoot it with the crossbow as it swoops to bring it back to the ground. Then repeat the process.

KingKong

Prep time m8, not meant to solve any problems.

it feels like they wrote down a big list of things open world games had that people disliked and decided to implement them poorly

- equipment degradation
- equip burden (I know you can upgrade it easily, so why even have it)
- huge fall damage
- stamina when running (which replenishes extremely quickly so seems especially pointless)

I'm still enjoying the actual game but all these things make it less fun to play and don't add anything to the experience

Saint9806

There's a pattern to it. Use Aard to stun it, heavy strike then back/roll away until Aard is ready again.When it flies into the air and swoops at you, shoot it with the crossbow as it swoops to bring it back to the ground. Then repeat the process.

Thanks! The only problem is I haven't even found the crossbow yet. Can I do that same process with the sword?

Enosh

I noticed my potions and bombs replenished themselves. .. how?
after meditation if you have enough alcohol for potions, no idea for bombs

Upgraded silver sword while still in White Orchard? Must have missed it. I found the schematic for the upgraded steel sword in WO but still was using the starting witcher silver sword.
think the viper one is the best (I think at least maybe there is some sword of doom hidden in some tree ^^), you get schematics for a green (iirc) quality silver and steel sword. it's one of the white ? points of interest, not 100% which one anymore

Jolkien

If you meditate and have some type of alcohol in you inventory, 1 unit of alcohol will be consumed and then your potions / bombs / maybe oils? will be replenished. If you don't have any alcohol in your inventory it won't happen.

It even tells you on screen. Lots of question in here can be answered with tutorials in the game, I guess people skips it.

Not a bad comment toward the person you helped or anything it's one of my first OT I follow really closely while also playing the game and it's amazing how many people seems to skip or just don't read tutorials.

anddo0

Do npc's come back from the dead?

The merchant in White Orchard died for no reason. His icon is still there, but his body is just laying there on the ground like he's dead.

Anyone?

And no I didn't kill him.

White%20Orchard_zpsjxs5ox1d.jpg

Also why is the herbalist door locked?

Seriously, the combat is such a disaster, no parry feedback, geralt moves like a boat, the soft lock and hard lock are all over the place. The AI can even be exploited to the point where they can't hit you back reliably. Man the combat really is shit, but it's like endearing how shit it is.

But goddamn the rest of the game is so incredible it makes it hard to stay mad at the game.

Yep, it is just like the Witcher 2. It is the kind of broken, shitty combat that forces you learn everything and exploit the hell out of it just because you are engrossed in the world and story.

I actually had fun beating the Witcher 2 (more like exploiting) on Dark difficulty with combat mod that makes quen useless; I didn't know about potions too. I had to use an A.I loop on
Saskia's dragon form (second phase)
. I liked the game in a masochistic way.

Anyway, the main issues with the Witcher 3 are movement, lock-on, stamina system and enemy moveset/running speed.

You are basically forced to do something in combat mode once you get in that horrible stance (you have to attack, block, dodge or cast) instead of using natural spacing against aggressive and fast enemies that want to STICK to your face and spam attacks (active frames on your face basically). Attacks are terrible too; instead of having fast attacks that you control as individual pokes, you have slow spinning shit that is kinda automated and tracks enemies around (horribly).

The Stamina is system is a NOT welcomed addition. What made Witcher 2 tolerable and exploitable was spamming and moving freely. In the witcher 3, you have to watch out for stamina and get FORCED to use the other horrible mechanics (dodge, attack, block), and using shift to move around consumes stamina. This system might be less of a concern once you level up, but it leaves the game as a mechanical mess at earlier levels; it is fundamentally broken.

As a suggestion, remove that dumb stance and make Geralt move around freely and fast enough, and give enemies stamina or something so that they don't rush your fucking face; a good addition is friendly damage for enemies or A.I patterns that makes them move around instead of sticking as a one group to your damn face. Also, REMOVE HYPER ARMOR from some enemies and reduce their startup.

I don't get how the developers think that you are the stationary target that does shit while enemies hit and run, even though they are much stronger than you; it works the opposite way.

Majukun

Anyone?

And no I didn't kill him.

White%20Orchard_zpsjxs5ox1d.jpg

Also why is the herbalist door locked?

i had the opposite..a character that was supposed to be mortlaly wounded that enters the room,looks at me and goes to the bed to position itself in the position it should be...

it feels like they wrote down a big list of things open world games had that people disliked and decided to implement them poorly

- equipment degradation
- equip burden (I know you can upgrade it easily, so why even have it)
- huge fall damage
- stamina when running (which replenishes extremely quickly so seems especially pointless)

I'm still enjoying the actual game but all these things make it less fun to play and don't add anything to the experience

That's mainly a combat thing. Both running and signs use stamina, which regenerates much more slowly.

I mean yeah they could have done it separately in/out of combat I guess but whatever, that's what your horse is for.

TimeLike

Holy Eye Strain, Batman! Text in this game is a fucking nightmare to read unless you're right up on the screen. I hope they patch in a text size option, and fast.

Other than that, I'm enjoying myself.

Agreed. Headache inducing amount of squinting required. Shit's ridiculous.

A lot of the atmospheric touches are so overdone that it's really starting to grate on my nerves. Obviously the trees being subject to gale-force winds are what everyone notices immediately, but I hear constant cracking of wood and brushing of shrubbery when in the woods. It's like someone is breaking sticks just out of eyesight and shaking a bush nonstop. I can't tell if it's something the game only does when there's a monster nearby or not, but it's way overblown audio wise. It should be quiet and slowly interspersed.

Jolkien

For those wondering why their damage gets lower and lower, under 75% durability you swords stats to have their damage reduced. For exemple a sword does 100-200 (-9) when it's at 74% durability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom