• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraXzy

It's a random, minor thing to note.. But I absolutely love the design of the main menu. It just looks great. The layout of them, the icons, the faded background images that appear when you move between the options. Love it :3

KorrZ

Finally got out of White Orchard after doing every side quest and checking out all the points of interest. About 8-10 hours I'd say? I'm not sure how to check your time played. Pretty damn good for just the tutorial area though!

Arrived in Velen and holy shit it's so big and somehow even more beautiful. I made it to the first town Inn and
came across some bandits who were giving me a hard time. I played it cool...until one of them started bragging about how they'd raped a little girl. I brutally slaughtered their whole crew. Innkeep was none too pleased, but fuck him for harboring these scum

Why does the soundtrack remind me of Mass Effect?

I thought the same with one particular track. The chord structure is extremely similar and so is the rhythm. I'm guessing we're thinking of the same soundtrack since it's the only one which stuck out in that way. The soundtrack is consistently fantastic too if you've enjoyed what you've heard so far.

pushBAK

The only thing the highest difficulty changes is how much damage you take and dish out. Its pretty fucking tedious and makes the game a pain in the ass.

Cool thanks to the two replies above, and also the pair of replies on the other page. (Stealth edit: and the one above me that I just saw though I think I'll give it a whirl because I was a bit underwhelming by medium difficulty damage though I can always change it back down after if it gets annoying). We'll see how it goes. I think I'll restart on Death March or whatever it's called tonight after work. Also going to try keep the Minimap turned off.

Fittingly enough, I've been listening to the Tactics Ogre soundtrack all day for mood, and I just realize that my favorite track (basically of any video game) is Tactics Ogre's Notice of Death. Fitting song and name to have on repeat for Witcher on Death March, I think.

LOLCats

Banned
God damn it, looks like i bad ps4 disc got an unreadable error and it keeps spinning up then down. Other games are just fine. Did the uninstall/reinstall power down stuff same spinning up and down and loading reallly slow....

PrawnyNZ

Finally got out of White Orchard after doing every side quest and checking out all the points of interest. About 8-10 hours I'd say? I'm not sure how to check your time played. Pretty damn good for just the tutorial area though!

I'm about the same, loving the sidequests. The bit that worries me (although will be good for repeat plays) is not knowing if all the sidequests are done. I thought I was done, then randomly talked to someone in the middle of nowhere and got a new one
about a missing frying pan.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I think second boss spoilers (main quest)... looking for some help:

How do I defeat the golem in the cave with the witch that's helping me?I'm doing, like, next to zero damage.

Bumping. Can anyone help me with this? Seriously, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm rolling, I'm dodging. I'm using Quen and Yrden or whatever. I feel like I'm missing something HUGE. I've yet to even deplete half his health on normal difficulty.

Dubz

Tiny font is my only gripe for now, but it's a major gripe. Having to get closer to the screen every time I loot something and want to see what it is is not fun.

Game runs great on my PS4 so far. I like the combat, and I want to see what's going to happen next. This is one huge world....omg

zkorejo

That's in Novigrad, not Velen. I'm not sure if there's a barber in Velen.

There is one. In Claywich.. but you have to find him in a bandit camp first.. the bandit camp is a bit west from Claywich. Long hair Geralt looks amazing in his starting armor. But all other fat belly armors make him look like an out of shape grandpa. I need a good looking armor soon.

All the diagrams I have, most of them are around level 16 and above.

I have no idea how to play gwent lol.

Have a bigger number than the other guy twice, though not necessarily in a row. It's ultimately about managing your ten cards wisely to either overpower the enemy or feint them into burning their cards while you bide for the next draw. It's a really clever game, and the four factions, heroes, and myriad of effects add a great deal of possibilities for each match.

Keep in mind that you'll find more cards to play in your travels, and changing a few cards in your playing deck can dramatically change your strategies. It's really cool.

DrSlek

Level 1 Geralt...level 7 wraith...Blood and Broken Bones difficulty. That took a minute or two but I really wanted that place of power.

I came back at level 3 and stomped it but I'm pretty confident I could have done it at level 1 now. Just need to know how to deal with it. Liberal use of Yrden.

tuxfool

Banned
The combat is the worst part of the game by a mile. After doing the tutorial I was super impressed with it. But it doesn't seem to work that well out in the world. The combat system is awesome when its 1v1 but multiple enemies at once its just shit. Feels like it's damn near impossible when every single encounter is 3+ enemies attacking you at once.

You have to learn to approach encounters tactically and manage crowds. You just can't expect to rush in and come out unscathed against mobs. What difficulty are you using?

Edit: Also contrary to the other person, I'd say lock on of any kind is a terrible idea for mobs. Do parry mobs when possible, but try to manage them so that your back isn't exposed (which you do with dodges and rolls), it is all about positioning.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm not 100% on this but I'm pretty sure that different foods give you a different rate of healing during the same duration. Like water for example seems super slow.
That's weird then...how do you know whether food is going to be good or bad before you try it? You just have to experiment or wiki everything before you know if a certain food will be useful? :p

Also still looking for information on whether I'm missing something:
Blizzard said:
I couldn't find any information on this in the last 15 or so pages. Is there any sort of stash, or do you have to do loot runs to sell junk? I'm guessing my inventory will fill up pretty quick.

Also, do weapons stop doing damage, or break completely, once they reach 0% quality?
One of my friends said the weapons just lower in damage a bit, but I don't know if anyone has gotten a 0% quality weapon yet.

Sora_N

Skipped the tutorial ? It's pretty simple just follow the tutorial and you'll get it in no time, it's pretty fun.

Have a bigger number than the other guy twice, though not necessarily in a row. It's ultimately about managing your ten cards wisely to either overpower the enemy or feint them into burning their cards while you bide for the next draw. It's a really clever game, and the four factions, heroes, and myriad of effects add a great deal of possibilities for each match.

Keep in mind that you'll find more cards to play in your travels, and changing a few cards in your playing deck can dramatically change your strategies. It's really cool.

I might have pressed a button to skip it yeah.

Might just try it again later, not feeling it right now.

Starviper

I'm a little confused here.. Is the open world aspect of the game limited, in that you're on a map in a county // area, or does the game open up further once you've hit a certain point?

I beat the griffin and left that area, before anyone asks.

Jolkien

I'm a little confused here.. Is the open world aspect of the game limited, in that you're on a map in a county // area, or does the game open up further once you've hit a certain point?

I beat the griffin and left that area, before anyone asks.

It's giant zone, just look at the world map. White Orchard is pretty small compared to Velen.

zkorejo

I think its R2 when in inventory menu. It shows all the stats of the player.

What? Why? What a stupid bug :/

Where do I change the actual haircut in-game?

It's not actually a bug, it's intended functionality. According to the devs it wouldn't make sense if you opted in for a certain style and it grew out. It's kind of annoying I agree. Unfortunately I've still not found anywhere to actually get a haircut in the game either and I've been keeping eyes open for a place.

You have to learn to approach encounters tactically and manage crowds. You just can't expect to rush in and come out unscathed against mobs. What difficulty are you using?

Edit: Also contrary to the other person, I'd say lock on of any kind is a terrible idea for mobs. Do parry mobs when possible, but try to manage them so that your back isn't exposed (which you do with dodges and rolls), it is all about positioning.
Even on medium difficulty, fights against a lot of enemies felt so non-tactical because enemies just swarm you and spam attacks on you, so it felt like instead of slow methodical using-space-defensively, you're just spamming evade, quen, food. The biggest difference for me was switch to the area-effect fire spell. It really helped me control crowds and keep them at bay a bit, and I think there's a small crowd control 'burning' effect. So I think a huge part to maybe getting more enjoyable tactical fights will be approach encounters slowly and using area-effect or crowd control more because of the sort of 'aggresive swarming' nature of the AI. It's hard to be slow and methodical when all the enemies just bum rush your face mindlessly, but you can slow 'em down with CC I think. Dunno how that'll work out in the end and maybe spamming quen could just end up being better, but I'm going to try invest a lot more in spells/potions that have AE or CC effects to really try slow down battles into a more controlled slower affair. We'll see how that goes if I just revert to mostly Quen :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom