• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? Why? What a stupid bug :/
About ten pages back someone posted a quote that apparently it's intended, and they thought players who chose haircuts would find it annoying to have to keep getting haircuts everytime their hair grew. Dunno. Either way, I agree. It wasn't up yet on my CA PSN but I won't download it I guess... I like that his beard grows over time.

If any of you want to disable the logos you see when you open the game:

C:\GOG Games\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\content\content0\movies\cutscenes\gamestart\bumpers

rename the file in there to bumpersOLD.usm

Working on finding the other cutscene now but this is a start :)

Some aspects of Geralt's animations are bugging me, I never feel like I'm fully in control of him sometimes .I've fallen off cliffs from just trying to turn around before cos of his mid run animation

tuxfool

Banned
Even on medium difficulty, fights against a lot of enemies felt so non-tactical because enemies just swarm you and spam attacks on you, so it felt like instead of slow methodical using-space-defensively, you're just spamming evade, quen, food. The biggest difference for me was switch to the area-effect fire spell. It really helped me control crowds and keep them at bay a bit, and I think there's a small crowd control 'burning' effect. So I think a huge part to maybe getting more enjoyable tactical fights will be approach encounters slowly and using area-effect or crowd control more because of the sort of 'aggresive swarming' nature of the AI. It's hard to be slow and methodical when all the enemies just bum rush your face mindlessly, but you can slow 'em down with CC I think. Dunno how that'll work out in the end and maybe spamming quen could just end up being better, but I'm going to try invest a lot more in spells/potions that have AE or CC effects to really try slow down battles into a more controlled slower affair. We'll see how that goes if I just revert to mostly Quen :p

Tactical doesn't imply slow and methodical. Tactical means understanding enemy movements and attack rhythms (they're fairly distinct from enemy to enemy) as well as managing positioning, using as items such as bombs and signs to help manage crowds. Also never be afraid of retreating to wait for stamina to regen etc.

BraXzy

When you loot something in someone's home, is that considering stealing in the game?

Obviously it is technically, but it doesn't seem to be registering it as such in-game. I saw a hint thing pop up at one point saying people will react if you do bad stuff like stealing, but I can pop into someone's chest and take their stuff right in front of them and nothing happens.

obin_gam

It's not actually a bug, it's intended functionality. According to the devs it wouldn't make sense if you opted in for a certain style and it grew out. It's kind of annoying I agree. Unfortunately I've still not found anywhere to actually get a haircut in the game either and I've been keeping eyes open for a place.

About ten pages back someone posted a quote that apparently it's intended, and they thought players who chose haircuts would find it annoying to have to keep getting haircuts everytime their hair grew. Dunno. Either way, I agree. It wasn't up yet on my CA PSN but I won't download it I guess... I like that his beard grows over time.

If I were to remove the pack... would the hair start to grow again?

KlotePino

Really liking the game so far, love the characters and story. However after having finished Bloodborne recently the combat feels like absolute shit to me. I was way underleveled to fight against one character but he got stuck on a tree and I was able to just keep on hitting him with him being unable to retaliate, as the other NPC was focused on some unkillable friendly NPC I was able to do the same thing to him afterwards.

It seems like the only combat strategy comes from fighting against multiple enemies which turns into such a mess that it's really hard to feel like I'm being strategical and smart as I'm just rolling around waiting 20 seconds for my apple juice to regenerate 1/4th of my life. I really wanted my GF to be able to play this but seeing some other people struggle on even the easiest difficulty (I'm playing on the 2nd hardest) worries me.

I was also really surprised by how quickly armor and weapons got damaged and had to be repaired for a hefty fee. Around level 4 I had to repair both my sword and the total repair price including armor was 400g, that's about 8 or more side-quests right there if you're not an obsessive looter like I am. There's just some outdated ways things work in the game that I think are not user friendly and don't add to fun or feel of the game either.

When you loot something in someone's home, is that considering stealing in the game?

Obviously it is technically, but it doesn't seem to be registering it as such in-game. I saw a hint thing pop up at one point saying people will react if you do bad stuff like stealing, but I can pop into someone's chest and take their stuff right in front of them and nothing happens.

It seems that it's only if you do it in full view of a guard that there are consequences.

Well, ethically it is, but technically it isn't. NPCs won't say anything when you steal from their houses.
However, if you steal from the guards, they'll chop you down and you'll lose some coin (about half of what you're carrying).

RoKKeR

About to turn in the final quest in White Orchard. Damn, really getting into it now and getting the feel for crafting, alchemy, preparing for battles, etc. This game is so damn good, and I've only scratched the surface! Think I left mostly no unturned stone in the area.

ha if you drink too many potions dark/black veins show up on geralt's face thats pretty cool

Noticed that cool, nice detail.

KorrZ

I like that this game lets you skip quest steps if you can find things on your own. Very cool, and something I've always appreciated. I skipped both instances of having to go talk to characters in the griffin quest by just stumbling on the next stage of the quest by exploring.

ufo8mycat

Do yourself a favor and turn down the Right stick sensitivity for camera. World of difference.

Go to options, control settings, right stick sensitivity - camera, turn left till you reach .80

:)

What does this help with?
I think I actually increased it for faster panning.

Sora_N

Seriously why does Geralt have to run all day errday? Lol....it really is bothering me when I'm in the town or whatever.

I have to light tap the stick, I guess I'm just gonna do that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I cant find an option to turn off auto centering of the camera when riding and boating. Boo.

KorrZ

I cant find an option to turn off auto centering of the camera when riding and boating. Boo.

It's not a big deal but it is slightly annoying. They give you the option to have your horse auto follow the trail, which is perfect for taking in the sights and then the camera won't stop centering lol.

Jedi2016

Combat's going to take some getting used to. I got into that first fight with the ghouls with Vesemir, and was like "Meh, they're the same level as me, have at you!!". Button-mash, button-mash, all dead, why is half my health gone?!? Later I saw some wolves running around and got all skittish, like "Man, those wolves are kinda big...". Whaling away on offense will get you nowhere in this game.

Haven't done much of anything yet, didn't play for that long tonight. Getting used to the controls and movement, wandering around looking at the sights. Anyone who thinks this is an ugly or "last-gen" game needs to have their fookin' eyes checked.

I like that this game lets you skip quest steps if you can find things on your own. Very cool, and something I've always appreciated. I skipped both instances of having to go talk to characters in the griffin quest by just stumbling on the next stage of the quest by exploring.

Yeah, it seems that every quests are designed to be tackled in different ways.
That's what made this game a great RPG.

Seriously why does Geralt have to run all day errday? Lol....it really is bothering me when I'm in the town or whatever.

I have to light tap the stick, I guess I'm just gonna do that.

Geralt do walk in indoor areas though, automatically.
There's also a walk/run toggle on PC.

dedhead54

I've played this game pretty much all day and feel like I've made no progress. I don't know if I think this is good or bad.

I feel like I have made some progress in terms of getting through quests (both side and main), but I feel like I know nothing about the equipment/crafting/alchemy stuff still. After probably, 9-10 hours.

Reebot

Tactical doesn't imply slow and methodical. Tactical means understanding enemy movements and attack rhythms (they're fairly distinct from enemy to enemy) as well as managing positioning, using as items such as bombs and signs to help manage crowds. Also never be afraid of retreating to wait for stamina to regen etc.

I get what you're saying, but the reality is most enemies are actually not distinct or rhythmic. There's very little difference in the attack pattern of a wolf, a wraith, or a drowner. They attack, back off, play an idle animation, then attack again on a timer.

It's clear you love the game; as do I. But we can't blind ourselves to it's faults.

Sora_N

Yeah, it seems that every quests are designed to be tackled in different ways.
That's what made this game a great RPG.

Geralt do walk in indoor areas though, automatically.
There's also a walk/run toggle on PC.

I wonder if they'll patch that in for PS4...probably not.

I can live with it I guess.

Do the places of interest (the question marks) ever trigger any interesting side-quests? Or are they marking things like bandit hideouts and monsters guarding loot?

Also, just left White Orchard. Holy shit, the map size! So many hamlets and villages! So many noticeboards!

Bytes

Just had a humorous battle against a swordsman and an archer where
the archer shot and killed the swordsman by accident while I was trying to fight him. Someone forgot to turn off friendly fire :p

Grisby

Think I'll be starting this up tomorrow. It's crazy how much extra stuff is in the retail version. CDPR is best, including a free soundtrack and all.

So whats the problems on PS4 atm? Read some issues of crashing on a page or two back? Saw that video with the camera stuttering and that looks annoying, but not super deal breaking.

KorrZ

Do the places of interest (the question marks) ever trigger any interesting side-quests? Or are they marking things like bandit hideouts and monsters guarding loot?

It's a lot of places of power, bandit hideouts etc. but in some of them you'll loot items that start side quests.

RoKKeR

Honestly my biggest complaint is repeated ambient dialogue from NPC's. Especially apparent with the kid who sings that dumb song about the emperor... that happens every time you walk past.

Also, just left White Orchard. Holy shit, the map size! So many hamlets and villages! So many noticeboards!

I think they're usually given some small measure of context through things like books and notes, but I've not yet come across one that started any side quest I'd call 'interesting.'

Yeah, I found a quest from a place of interest already.
I guess you can find notes from bandit hidehouts or monster-guarded treasure that give quests.

drotahorror

How do you craft glyphs and runes? It seems like there would be a way to, since a lot of armor/weapons have sockets for them. I'm level 4 and have only ever found one glyph after several hours of play.

Still trying to figure this out. I checked all blacksmiths in the first zone and the ones I had found in Velen and no one had any schematics. Very stupid to give you all these items with sockets and not be able to use them.

Prometheus Zero

Neo Member
OK so I've been playing the PS4 version and I just can't get past the (extremely weird) camera issues. The game seems to be running at an almost locked 30fps, and you can tell that frame consistancy ( pacing ) is holding by just walking in a circle, or strafing left to right as you get a nice 30fps double image. But, if you stand still and gently nudge the analog stick to pan around the environment slowly the camera movement is jerky and erratic.This looks like a frame rate issue, but really I think this is an input issue. Something seems really off about the way the game is handling its analog camera acceleration. Its almost as if the game is waiting to see when to switch its aggressive motion blur on and resetting the camera speed, witch seems like a stutter. The way I typically play these types of 3rd person style rpgs is by essentially aiming my character with the right stick and just pushing forward with the left, and then stoping to slowly sweep the camera around and take in the environment. As it stands, I just can't stand the feel and jank of the camera...I hope this somehow gets addressed via a patch or something.

What the heck do bears in the Witcher world eat?

Too dang big. D:<

You.

maxresdefault.jpg

Beaten.

Arcayne

Bought the game on a whim last night and played a bit just now. Absolutely blown away at the amount of detail in this tiny section of the world. I'm on PC with a mix of low and medium settings, still looks fantastic.

It's a lot of places of power, bandit hideouts etc. but in some of them you'll loot items that start side quests.

I think they're usually given some small measure of context through things like books and notes, but I've not yet come across one that started any side quest I'd call 'interesting.'

Yeah, I found a quest from a place of interest already.
I guess you can find notes from bandit hidehouts or monster-guarded treasure that give quests.

Thanks. I'll play with the markers turned on then. I don't want to miss any interesting quests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom