• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I like that the Black Blood potion is in the game.

TheFatMan

The second area is so massive that it's overwhelming. I had to remind myself that doing every sidequest and going to every question mark is what leads to the 200 hour game time

I fully intend to do every side quest. I do ? events when I need money or I'm bored, or one presents itself easily (like being right next to something else.

For anyone feeling under geared or too broke to buy gear, do ? on your map. You will make a shit load of money. Also, make sure you are selling gear to the correct vendors! Selling your sword to the swordsmith can get you 20 crowns, while selling it to the basic merchant might only land you 4! Very important.

TheRed

At hour 30 what level are you?

Pretty sure I'm level 11, not sure if highest difficulty makes you level slower or not but I really like that levels take a good while to gain in this game. There's still so much to do. Most alive and filled with content game I've ever played. Also I've left the game running a few times so possibly am only really like 24-25 hours in really.

viveks86

Finally got photomode to work. Jim2point0 is a rockstar!

witcher32015-05-2020-58-30-78.png

TheFatMan

Pretty sure I'm level 11, not sure if highest difficulty makes you level slower or not but I really like that levels take a good while to gain in this game. There's still so much to do. Most alive and filled with content game I've ever played.

This seems right. I just hit level 12 and I'd say I have 27 hours put in (Can't seem to find anywhere to check my actual playtime on PS4). I'm playing on the default setting.

Find schematics and craft them

I had my original silver sword for the first 15 hours, then found a schematic for one that added like +70 attack
Grrr, I'm level 5 now. I'm going to start the Baron's quest but Velen has so many Hugh leveled monsters that can tear me a new one quickly. Still fun to explore this massive world.

Aces&Eights

Just landed in the "V" city and called it a night. Got through WO and all "?" stuff and whatnot. Griffen was pretty easy. I'm halfway though level 4 so I think I am appropriately leveled. Need better gear, though. Still figuring out the crafting as in where the hell do I get all the stuff. I keep getting these "recipes" but where do they go? Can I just now make the stuff if I have the right ingredients?

Game is awesome. Yes, he moves pretty wonky but hot damn, the world is awesome and big and gorgeous. Great dialect, great narrative, great side quests.

Herbalist, from White Orchards, please marry me. I said, Hot Damn, what a woman! HOT DAMN!

TheRed

This seems right. I just hit level 12 and I'd say I have 27 hours put in (Can't seem to find anywhere to check my actual playtime on PS4). I'm playing on the default setting.
Go to Character then hit player stats on R2 I'm using DS4 on PC and I think that's how to check, it'll be in the bottom left.

KingKong

you know how you can tell falling damage is complete messed up? when getting out of that Barons house and jumping the railing to land in the mud one flight down makes you lose half your health

I just played this thing for like.... 12 hours today. Thine eyes, they burn!

I did the same thing. Only stopped me was my body couldn't handle any more. I kind of wanted to play some more even then lol

Will have to wait till the weekend to dive in again.

you know how you can tell falling damage is complete messed up? when getting out of that Barons house and jumping the railing to land in the mud one flight down makes you lose half your health

I wonder if it's based on armour class (light/med/heavy) or encumberance or something, because I'm pretty sure I've fallen farther and taken less damage.

im doing quest for baron and does anybody know where to go
when it tells you to investigate all remaining clues to find the wife in velvin, but it doesnt give me a marker. I've already told the baron about his daughter not wanting to come back

TheFatMan

A Towerful of Mice is one of the best sidequests i have seen so far. Simple yet really well made.

Honestly after nearly 30 hours I have yet to do a side quest, or story quest, that didn't feel like it was important, or didn't matter.

CD Projekt did a fantastic job fleshing out every quest. Even the small ones.

Seconded, TheFatMan... though I'm not quite as deep as you. It's like they actually tried to design gameplay in their missions, rather than make the world itself the mission. Incredibly impressive all around, especially the small touches.
So, I hear if you roll when falling he doesn't take as much damage? Anyone confirm? Maybe it was roll right before you land?

It's true. Fall damage still needs to be reduced though.

Wow, what. That's a crazy thing to add.

Yeul

I saw this same thing and was like whaaaaaaaaat

I don't think I'll ever hit level 33 lol

Is it possibly a bug and it's supposed to say 3?

I can tell you that the suggested level for the final arc is like level 30 so you def have to do it out of order. I have had quite a few just sitting and now that I finished I can finally go and do them and not get slaughtered lol.

TheFatMan

im doing quest for baron and does anybody know where to go
when it tells you to investigate all remaining clues to find the wife in velvin, but it doesnt give me a marker. I've already told the baron about his daughter not wanting to come back

Go finish the Witch story quests, when you have done all of them you can finish that story line as well.

Mossybrew

Playing on PS4.

While I am enjoying the game, many aspects continue to underwhelm.

- Environment. Excuse me for comparing to the recent DA:I but so far the environments lack the kind of clarity found in that game. Surely W3 has welcome day/night/weather cycles, which are certainly in its favor. DA:I has the benefit of each environment tailored to a time of day, but all things considered Witcher's environments (so far! Exploring Velen now) have a samey-ness to them, and somehow seem low-resolution by comparison. Not that they are, but frequently just looking at distant trees, landscape etc, it seems to have an impressionistic style, it just doesn't look sharp. Maybe it's just me. Overall it all seems a bit muddy.

- Inventory. Why are we overwhelmed with so much crap so quickly? Which we have no idea when or why will be useful? I have a shitload of alchemy ingredients and have yet to craft more than one potion. I have armor schematics as a level 4 that I can't use until level twenty-something. Where there should have been a gradual introduction to this stuff, instead its, let's just throw all this shit at you and let you figure it out.

- Armor/weapon degradation. Shortly after starting my wanderings in Velen I got the onscreen notification that my sword was getting dangerously low. Where the fuck is a blacksmith in this new area? Who knows. Had to fast-travel back to the starter area to fix my shit. Again a poorly balanced annoyance.

- Yes text is too small. Known issue. Even the icons - look at your menu screen, all those tiny ass icons, then look how much black unused space surrounds that part of the screen. Why? This shit need to be doubled in size.

- Just to reiterate, why are we filling our bags with so much shit we barely understand right at the beginning of the game?

- Framerate noticeably fluctuates. Just doesn't feel smooth. I'm no expert on this kind of shit I just know the sensation when visuals get "choppy" and its a detriment to the experience.

- Why is looting/interacting with environment so damn finicky?

I dunno. I remember really liking Witcher 2. But so far I just feel like I'm playing Medieval Solid Snake minus the sneaking with sub-par performance and a lot of annoying little quirks.I keep waiting for this "OMG well thought out fantasy world, such experience" the glowing reviews paint a picture of, and I'm just not finding the meat of the experience yet I guess.

Verger

Banned
A Towerful of Mice is one of the best sidequests i have seen so far. Simple yet really well made.
It's really nice to hear all this positive word about the sidequests and exploration of this game.

I know people are probably getting tired of me saying this, but it's just such a nice thing to hear after the utter disappointment I had with Dragon Age Inquisition. I was so hyped and excited for that game to be honest, and when I began it made a great first impression, but after the first Act I realized I was not enjoying it. The quests were all the same and none of the lore and main story was interesting.

That's not to say things will turn out great when I start this game. But these impressions are making me optimistic. Plus I loved the first two games.

I've been playing it for a while now on PC, and while I'm enjoying the story, setting, and presentation I can't help but find the combat sucks. I feel like this is a game that wanted to be an action/adventure, but just couldn't loose enough of its RPG roots to make it work.

Geralt is supposed to be veteran Witcher from what I understand, yet in the early hours I ran across several groups of bandits that thrashed me simply because I hadn't leveled up enough yet. An experienced Witcher not being able to deal with a group of thugs breaks the sense of immersion the game is going for. This would be like an experienced Batman getting worked by some of Penguins henchmen. This problem arises from the fact that difficulty is arbitrarly gated in an RPG of this type. So while my sword and magic does almost no damage to those bandits, just a short while before I fought a giant bear and was able to stomp it. I can understand wanting to limit the players access to certain regions or items, but I don't think this was the right way to go about it.

I think the combat suffers not only from its RPG roots, but also overall poor mechanics. Geralt never moves with grace or power, a problem arising from both poor animation and a lack of combo variety. Geralt has access to either a fast attack or a power attack, but truth be told they aren't very distinguishable from one another. They also don't combo very well, again a problem of animation, and lack any form of context sensitivity. The Batman Arkham games handle this wonderfully, giving you a great sense of power, blending attacks with gadgets, but also connecting attacks to the environment for a greater sense of place. Large groups of enemies also expose another mechanical problem, target management. While one to three slow moving characters are not a problem, as soon as you have five or more characters that are fast it becomes annoying to deal with.

Overall, I just find the combat disjointed and poorly implemented. I keep coming back to the Batman Arkham games in my mind, and feel that this game with those combat mechanics would be so much better. I kind of wanted to go more in depth and compare the two games,bit I am getting tired now. I think they match up very well in this regard. One game just does something so much better than the other, and with GIFs as aids I think it would be pretty apparent. I may come back after I've fi ished the game to touch on that.

Nameless

PSA: Geese are a super easy way to farm raw meat and eggs as they respawn almost instantly. Sitting on 100 and 50 respectively after 20 or so minutes.

What did you end up doing?
I knew I should have pressed the ghost when she lied about being confined to the tower but I was so mindfucked about what had gone on there that I let it slide. Then when I went to Graham he kind of reiterated what the ghost said so I thought maybe everything was cool but it turns out she's a ghost that spreads plagues. I thought about reloading a save for a moment but that sounds to crazy not to see the consequences of

Darkman M

I've been playing it for a while now on PC, and while I'm enjoying the story, setting, and presentation I can't help but find the combat sucks. I feel like this is a game that wanted to be an action/adventure, but just couldn't loose enough of its RPG roots to make it work.

Geralt is supposed to be veteran Witcher from what I understand, yet in the early hours I ran across several groups of bandits that thrashed me simply because I hadn't leveled up enough yet. An experienced Witcher not being able to deal with a group of thugs breaks the sense of immersion the game is going for. This would be like an experienced Batman getting worked by some of Penguins henchmen. This problem arises from the fact that difficulty is arbitrarly gated in an RPG of this type. So while my sword and magic does almost no damage to those bandits, just a short while before I fought a giant bear and was able to stomp it. I can understand wanting to limit the players access to certain regions or items, but I don't think this was the right way to go about it.

I think the combat suffers not only from its RPG roots, but also overall poor mechanics. Geralt never moves with grace or power, a problem arising from both poor animation and a lack of combo variety. Geralt has access to either a fast attack or a power attack, but truth be told they aren't very distinguishable from one another. They also don't combo very well, again a problem of animation, and lack any form of context sensitivity. The Batman Arkham games handle this wonderfully, giving you a great sense of power, blending attacks with gadgets, but also connecting attacks to the environment for a greater sense of place. Large groups of enemies also expose another mechanical problem, target management. While one to three slow moving characters are not a problem, as soon as you have five or more characters that are fast it becomes annoying to deal with.

Overall, I just find the combat disjointed and poorly implemented. I keep coming back to the Batman Arkham games in my mind, and feel that this game with those combat mechanics would be so much better. I kind of wanted to go more in depth and compare the two games,bit I am getting tired now. I think they match up very well in this regard. One game just does something so much better than the other, and with GIFs as aids I think it would be pretty apparent. I may come back after I've fi ished the game to touch on that.

You sure that's not a problem on your end LOL?

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Enjoying on X1 so far, feels like Witcher 2 meets Red Dead Redemption. I ended up going to Velen pretty underleveled, so I'm back in White Orchard doing all the question mark stuff. It's been worth it, found a better silver sword.

Question, do you need a diagram to make the Swallow potion? I cant see it as an option to make in the alchemy screen.

TheRed

I'm about to rage quit at this Botchling fight. I clearly came in vastly undersupplied/levelled.
This was the hardest time I've had in the game on Death March I actually got frustrated.Fighting the botchling was impossible but it wasn't that it was the wraiths, groups of wraiths wreck so hard Quen can't save you from their combos. Took me over an hour just to beat those two fights and had to use specter oil for both and it was still insanely close in the end.

leng jai

This was the hardest time I've had in the game on Death March I actually got frustrated.Fighting the botchling was impossible but it wasn't that it was the wraiths, groups of wraiths wreck so hard Quen can't save you from their combos. Took me over an hour just to beat those two fights and had to use specter oil for both and it was still insanely close in the end.

Yeah I've got no specter oil....this fight is absolutely ridiculous.

Yes. Items degrade as their durability goes down - for both weapons and armour. Just check it out in the inventory screen if you want to see how degraded it is. The lost effectiveness is reflected (in red) in the item info blurb.

Armourers and weaponsmiths can repair items for a fee, and there are also usable repair thingies that can do it while out in the field (though the latter is vastly more expensive).

Ran into a really weird bug where Geralt suddenly stopped responding to any controller inputs and juat stood there while a ghoul ripped him to shreds. Wouldn't move, attack, nothing. Not a problem with the controller since the camera still worked. Fixed itself on the reload.

Loving the game, but I've had more bugs in my 20-odd hours than I had in my entirety of playing Skyrim, if you'll believe it.

AJLma

What's up with Geralts ridiculously twirly combat animations? They're the biggest problem with the combat system IMO. The game would be much more fluid if the first strike was a simple downward slash.

Spazznid

Combats perfect. Just keep fighting and you will either learn to fight that particular enemy in that sized group or you will quit. Witcher pulls no punches. Patience and forethought are key. Learn to tell the difference when an enemy is about to attack once, twice, or more. Wolves like to overwhelm you with numbers and speed and position. Downers like to confuse you and surround you. Each enemy must be dealt with very differently. I absolutely love the combat and hate it when I die. That's a good thing in my book.

Dresden

I had a terrible time with this until I started rolling instead of dodging when they flicker in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom