• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
What's a good place to get a good silver sword? I still have the starting one and I'm at Velen with these stupid ass mob monsters on Death match. I'd rather avoid drawn out battles.
Find schematics and craft them

I had my original silver sword for the first 15 hours, then found a schematic for one that added like +70 attack

Nameless

258926EEi1t6L.jpg

Here. Sorry I can't be more specific right now, as I don't know the town's English name. So yeah to the right of the Red Baron's fortress, the litte town with a red square around it is the home of an amazing sidequest.

It's not the quest with the
Wraiths
is it? That's the only one there I've found so far.

Is anyone else having issues with the camera auto panning while riding? I'm loving the game so far except every time I ride my horse after a few seconds the camera starts to pan itself above me so I'm staring at the ground and can't see where I'm going. I'm having to constantly reset the camera angle every 5 seconds or so and it's just a huge pain in the ass.

Edit: on ps4

10 hours in not a freeze yet. Something must be wrong with your rig.

Possibly. But I just played Witcher 2 to completion at 1440p maxed with zero errors. GTAV, Project Cars, and many other games work absolutely fine. There are hundreds of others reporting the same issue for W3 though.

This is what it says:

Hearts of Stone, with an estimated ten hours of new content, will set Geralt off into the wilds of No Man's Land and the back alleys of the Redanian city of Oxenfurt as he struggles to complete a contract given to him by the mysterious Man of Glass. Blood and Wine will tack on another 20 hours of game-time in the new region of Toussaint, a land untouched by war but hiding "an ancient, bloody secret." Both expansions will add new adventures, equipment, enemies, and "characters both new and dearly missed."

Thanks! That actually sounds pretty reasonable for the price, especially compared to the crap we get a lot of the time now for stupid prices. Probably going to grab that pass soon I think.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Anyone playing without the minimap? I feel bad playing this beautifully detailed open world game following bread crumbs and icons from a heafs up map rather then navigating by landmarks and the map. How do you do it? Does the game provide enough direction to find your way without the minimap? How about quests where you are directed to specific areas to search for clues, are those even possible without the on screen map?

My system froze 2-3 times when I started the game, but I haven't had single one since. I think it had to do with one of the graphical options because I was still tinkering to see what I could run the game at and it all stopped once I set everything to medium.

Pearock

Neo Member
It's not the quest with the
Wraiths
is it? That's the only one there I've found so far.

Nope. If you want me to get more specific
There's an old lady who need your help to kill the monsters roaming her mansion, the quest isn't on the board it's one of those exclamation marks on the minimap. I don't know if it need to be triggered though, I encountered it after Velen's main missions.

Exentryk

Anyone playing without the minimap? I feel bad playing this beautifully detailed open world game following bread crumbs and icons from a heafs up map rather then navigating by landmarks and the map. How do you do it? Does the game provide enough direction to find your way without the minimap? How about quests where you are directed to specific areas to search for clues, are those even possible without the on screen map?

I am not far yet, but you can hear people shouting and calling you out if they have something to say. With headphones, you can even pinpoint which direction the voice is coming from. There are paths on the ground that your horse can automatically follow. And you can then open up your main map to pin point a bit more if required. So, the game is completely playable without the minimap. The minimap is more of a compass, and is sometimes useful for finding herbs if you want to go collecting.

leng jai

Man fighting 4 wraiths at a time is annoying as hell. Trying to dodge properly when they're teleporting all over the place is ridiculous.

Dead

well not really...yet
Just 2.
Also - if the game suggest level 5 for a quest, should one follow that advice or just go fir it anyway. On the Story and Blood-difficulty.
Get to 3 and leave. If youre level 3 you should be able to take on anything marked til Lv 7

void666

Banned
So, what am I doing wrong? I'm about 8-10 hours into the game, and I seriously can't get past anything... even easy is giving me trouble.

Spoilers at the ~8hr mark: "Wandering in the Dark" Quest. Any input is appreciated:

1. So, the golem. I watch a Youtube video after dying 20 times in a row. Okay... use Yrden to slow the monster down. Use that enhancement for your sword by clicking down on the d-pad. Hit, roll, hit roll, hit roll... .... but the golem takes ONE swing, and half my health is gone. Two mistakes (getting caught on a rock, for example), and I'm dead. I bump it down to easy, and defeat him on my second try.

2. I get to Nithral. Again, on normal, I die a solid five times. Like... I'm doing no damage. I use Quen, which helps. But otherwise, seriously, I hit him with the fast attack and after 15 hits, I've barely scratched his health. Yes, I'm using the silver sword. So I try the strong attack as recommended elsewhere... and I get hit mid-swing pretty much every time.I get him on my first try on easy.

3. I'm CONSTANTLY poor. I feel like my armor is weak. I feel like my weapons are weak. But honestly, just by the time I repair what I have, I'm out of gold.I'm looting like crazy. I've gone on 3 or 4 sidequests... nothing crazy, but I'm not completely skipping them.

4. I'm BURNING through food in battle. I'm constantly out of bread and steak and whatnot. I meditate whenever I can... but in battle, I just can't keep my health up. One mistake, and I die... especially tough even in small encounters if there are multiple enemies.

I love the game! I just feel like I'm doing something REALLY wrong. The second game didn't give me near the same amount of trouble. I try to be slow and methodical, and it's just not helping.

Well,
i had the witch with me and she was constantly stunning them. I used quen a lot and i only used strong attack. I only attacked the golem from behind.

Don't you have potions (swallow)?

ACE 1991

Man, that griffin fight was fairly tough, took me several tries on blood and bones (I think that's the name of the difficulty setting one above normal?)

TheRed

So, what am I doing wrong? I'm about 8-10 hours into the game, and I seriously can't get past anything... even easy is giving me trouble.

Spoilers at the ~8hr mark: "Wandering in the Dark" Quest. Any input is appreciated:

1. So, the golem. I watch a Youtube video after dying 20 times in a row. Okay... use Yrden to slow the monster down. Use that enhancement for your sword by clicking down on the d-pad. Hit, roll, hit roll, hit roll... .... but the golem takes ONE swing, and half my health is gone. Two mistakes (getting caught on a rock, for example), and I'm dead. I bump it down to easy, and defeat him on my second try.

2. I get to Nithral. Again, on normal, I die a solid five times. Like... I'm doing no damage. I use Quen, which helps. But otherwise, seriously, I hit him with the fast attack and after 15 hits, I've barely scratched his health. Yes, I'm using the silver sword. So I try the strong attack as recommended elsewhere... and I get hit mid-swing pretty much every time.I get him on my first try on easy.

3. I'm CONSTANTLY poor. I feel like my armor is weak. I feel like my weapons are weak. But honestly, just by the time I repair what I have, I'm out of gold.I'm looting like crazy. I've gone on 3 or 4 sidequests... nothing crazy, but I'm not completely skipping them.

4. I'm BURNING through food in battle. I'm constantly out of bread and steak and whatnot. I meditate whenever I can... but in battle, I just can't keep my health up. One mistake, and I die... especially tough even in small encounters if there are multiple enemies.

I love the game! I just feel like I'm doing something REALLY wrong. The second game didn't give me near the same amount of trouble. I try to be slow and methodical, and it's just not helping.

Not sure but definitely something cuz I haven't had nearly that much trouble on death March difficulty in anything and am about 30 hours in. Maybe go on on more low level sidequests to get xp and to get loot. Crafting is how I've gotten some good armor if you have the diagram and loot for it, try crafting stuff. Also alchemy you should make swallow, it heals good and when you run out just meditate to refill as long as you have certain types of alcohol in your inventory.
Combat wise I guess make use of signs and dodge a whole lot and even roll against enemies with longer reach, I almost never make use of parry except again some humans.Always put a Quen on yourself before going into a fight and switch to igni or whatever you want to use. Not sure what else could be causing you trouble.

Not sure but definitely something cuz I haven't had nearly that much trouble on death March difficulty in anything and am about 30 hours in. Maybe go on on more low level sidequests to get xp and to get loot. Crafting is how I've gotten some good armor if you have the diagram and loot for it, try crafting stuff. Also alchemy you should make swallow, it heals good and when you run out just meditate to refill as long as you have certain types of alcohol in your inventory.
Combat wise I guess make use of signs and dodge a whole lot and even roll against enemies with longer reach, I almost never make use of parry except again some humans.Always put a Quen on yourself before going into a fight and switch to igni or whatever you want to use. Not sure what else could be causing you trouble.

At hour 30 what level are you?

This game has been great so far. However, Geralt's movement just sucks, both in combat and when wandering around the environment. Trying to climb is a real pain in the ass because the ledge-grabbing mechanic only seems to work about half the time, and what's up with the atrocious fall damage? If you fall even a few feet, you lose a ton of health (at least at low levels.. perhaps as you level up this becomes less of an issue?).

Yeul

This game has been great so far. However, Geralt's movement just sucks, both in combat and when wandering around the environment. Trying to climb is a real pain in the ass because the ledge-grabbing mechanic only seems to work about half the time, and what's up with the atrocious fall damage? If you fall even a few feet, you lose a ton of health (at least at low levels.. perhaps as you level up this becomes less of an issue?).

Oh this definitely was a huge pain for me too. I've finished the end of the game and am now doing remaining sidequests but the fall damage still sucks and doesn't get any better even at the higher levels. I've died so many times by accidentally falling off a mountain, ledge, or whatever else.

Anyways, I thought Ciri gameplay was amazing and totally suited her. Especially once you get to the end of the game you realize why they make her so OP.

Ghost23

What you can kill her ? I just sent her to Kaer Morhen without drawing my sword. Those dialogs branches are bananas.

It escalated really quickly even though I didn't want it to and all of the sudden we were fighting. Whatever I'll take my mistake and move on. It would feel like cheating to go back and save her with an earlier save.

xezuru

Why does using the BladeStone to have a sword buff black out the screen and load shit?
I'm literally in an infinite load because of it for no reason and probably lost a bit of progress.

Also don't know if spoiler but in Velen arc doing a quest for K
iera Metz............
I went into a
tower and did stuff in it, but there was literally an invisible woman where I could see nothing of her but a necklace that I kept bumping into, no dialog, nothing, disapeared later i think, pretty sure was unrelated to the quest, maybe the beta version of that specter.

KingKong

The second area is so massive that it's overwhelming. I had to remind myself that doing every sidequest and going to every question mark is what leads to the 200 hour game time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom