• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first witcher game and I gotta say....the fact you have to get prepared to battle a creature is so goddamn badass and satisfying. Took me a couple tries to beat the
werewolf in the quest Wild at Heart

Sora_N

Whats nice, at least with alchemy is you only need to make each thing once and then when you meditate you'll use up components(not sure which, might just be oils?) to refresh stock.

That sounds good, will there be a tutorial soon?

I just got to the army camp place.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Two things make me overwhelmed as hell so far.

Crafting
Alchemy

How much should I worry? Playing on normal.

You shouldn't worry. Those things are helpful, but not essential if you're only playing on normal. You can take your time learning them.

Thunderbolt and Swallow are nice potions to have, though, but you should learn both while doing early quests. Just find the require components shown in the glossary and grab all the booze you can find while raiding inns and villager's homes.

Just did the mission in Orchard where
the guy asks for your help to find his box. I watched preview videos where you dicover he's actually the killer and chase him down on the horse. I must've missed a clue because in my game he just gave me my reward and left.

Did you discover
the signs that he'd been shooting traders with the bow on his back? Maybe you just found the box and gave it to him.

Sora_N

You shouldn't worry. Those things are helpful, but not essential if you're only playing on normal. You can take your time learning them.

Thunderbolt and Swallow are nice potions to have, though, but you should learn both while doing early quests. Just find the require components shown in the glossary and grab all the booze you can find while raiding inns and villager's homes.

I skipped all the quests except the dwarf/smith one lol. I guess I'll go back after, I can right?

Grimsen

Just did the mission in Orchard where
the guy asks for your help to find his box. I watched preview videos where you dicover he's actually the killer and chase him down on the horse. I must've missed a clue because in my game he just gave me my reward and left.

Damn, missed that one. Gonna have to go back. :)

I'm having a hell of a time with this game. But I probably spent a bit too much time in Orchard tonight, trying to complete alchemy potions and crafting stuff. At least now I (kinda) understand it. It's not that fun, though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
That sounds good, will there be a tutorial soon?

I just got to the army camp place.

Relax. Look at crafting potions/bombs/oils almost like just upgrading your character. See materials required -> Acquire materials (many/most can be bought at venders) -> Craft bomb/potion/oil to add it permanently to your inventory. You don't need an alchemist to do any of this either; once you have the materials you can craft from the alchemy menu.

Swords/armour require a smith though, and are tiered based on smith skill level.

ironcreed

Banned
Wow. Here I was enjoying Keira and her quests,
only to end up having to kill her after the romantic evening. I told her that I felt used and hated two-faced serpents, then I demanded she hand over the papers and she attacked me and left me no choice.
What a gut wrenching twist. Incredible game.

HeelPower

what does the billboard in the town do ?
I took away the messages posted multiple times and they just keep respawning.Like,I thought taking one would add a quest to my quest list ?

Aeana

only to end up having to kill her after the romantic evening. I told her that I felt used and hated two-faced serpents, then I demanded she hand over the papers and she attacked me and left me no choice.
I like the different ways to solve this one.

I personally
let her know that what she was doing was stupid and that there was no way her desired outcome can happen. Sent her to Kaer Morhen and took the papers away from her.

tmespe

But sure if this has been covered already, but you can switch signs while parrying by pressing the same buttons for switching swords. Can make using multiple signs in combat more efficient.

I agree on the previous discussion of the combat. It's quite good, but requires one to be prepared and know the enemies weaknesses. I did not like the combat in 2, but it's heaps better here.

carlsojo

Two things make me overwhelmed as hell so far.

Crafting
Alchemy

How much should I worry? Playing on normal.

The sheer amount of ingredients is super overwhelming. What I did was pick out stuff I wanted (like Swallow) and write down what I needed so I knew what to look for. Fortunately like others have said you only need to craft anything once, and then it will automatically refill when you meditate (using up some booze.. I think).

Corpekata

Banned
Hah if you position someone between yourself and an archer the archer can accidently hit them (happened twice and both times were instant kills). Nice touch.

It's too bad I can only play for a bit at nights because of work. I'm 4 hours in, and I'm assing around Orchard looking for stuff to do and see. I absolutely love combat. Playing on BBB and completely loving how all encounters are to be taken seriously. Trying to achieve some fluid swordplay going on while weaving signs, dodges and rolls in and out of my sword strikes is something that fills me with joy. Season that with some pretty amazing sidequests (I've yet to find a fetch quest or MMO-like collect-a-thons), gorgeous vistas and random interesting stuff popping up left and right and I'm pretty much having a blast with this game.

I'm still Lv one and I jumped into a group of 3 and 4 drowners, cleared a deserter camp and kicked some Lv 6 bear hairy butt into oblivion (after a few tries, mind you).

I love this game.

The thing is
that it can go in the complete opposite direction if you hear her out. Once I did I don't think she had bad intentions at all and she just handed over the papers once I offered her an alternative. She was really desperate to get out of the swamp.

Both resolutions seem very satisfying

HeelPower

Playing on BBB and completely loving how all encounters are to be taken seriously. Trying to achieve some fluid swordplay going on while weaving signs, dodges and rolls in and out of my sword strikes is something that fills me with joy. .

Same.

Combat is demanding and interesting.Trying an encounter multiple times can yield very different results.

I didn't expect the combat to be this good,personally.But it really is.

Furyous

I'm using Keira strictly for the friends with benefits achievement.

Here are the choices I made that are not final because I didn't save the game at Velen:

Keep Aryan Alive
Help Lorveith
Lift Saskia's curse (assumed Letho saved Triss)
Kept the sorceress alive
Spared Letho

What role does Aryan, Lorvieth, Saskia, the sorceress, and Letho play in this game moving forward from where this option takes place?

I'm asking because I only plan on one play through for now and need to know how these decisions pan out. EatChildren and everyone else that finished the game, is farther than me, made similar or alternate decisions, please help me choose.

Saskia has cool armor that is why I let her live. Letho bet not kill Vas my comrade
but his mission was noble and apparently he worked for the Niilfs.
I motion Niilfs as the new name for the invading army.

Loving it! I'm progressing slowly as it is, now everything is going to grind to a halt! :/

witcher32015-05-2021-48-53-77.png
Thanks for The wallpaper.

zkorejo

I was moving through the Toll Bridge in Velen when the 3 guys standing there asked for Toll in order to pass. During the conversation I saw 3-4 drowners randomly coming near them from behind, Killed one and started attacking the one who I was talking to.

As soon as the dialog ended (I handled it non-violently) Drowners attacked the three poor bandit/authority wannabes. I tried to save them, but they died. I killed the drowners and loot all their bodies and passed the bridge. Lol. It was great seeing a totally random encounter out of nowhere..

Semper88

Overwhelmed as fuck.. All those mats n stuff.
Even had to take a break and do something else because i didn't know where to start haha.

Still dunno when i can make those swallow pots. I need something called dwarven elixir or whatever its called.

Noticed i got a bit handy in all the rolling and dodge stuff from Bloodborne.

ironcreed

Banned
I like the different ways to solve this one.

I personally
let her know that what she was doing was stupid and that there was no way her desired outcome can happen. Sent her to Kaer Morhen and took the papers away from her.

Amazing. Some of the finest quest structuring I have ever seen, along with the world building as well. All marks of a real masterpiece.

ironcreed

Banned
The thing is
that it can go in the complete opposite direction if you hear her out. Once I did I don't think she had bad intentions at all and she just handed over the papers once I offered her an alternative. She was really seemed desperate to get out of the swamp.

Both resolutions seem very satisfying

I love her character, I
just felt deceived. I sure as hell did not want to kill her, though.
Talk about choices and consequences, Jesus. This game knows how to push your buttons.

HeelPower

Talk about choices and consequences, Jesus. This game knows how to push your buttons.

My first moment of regret was
taking the arsonist to the blacksmith.They hanged him for it which wasn't really a desired or fair consequence.Taking his bribe seemed bad but this was unexpectedly far worse.

It stung me.

Skyzard

Banned
^
it was the smith's call really, and it's not like he didn't know what would happen. He didn't seem to mind either.

I really enjoy the game's combat. Seems that's not a popular opinion.

I hated it in 2, but im actively lookin for fights here. It feels good.

blood and broken bones also provides a light scratch on the monster hunter / dark souls itch. Clearly not even close to being the same but the fact that you gotta actually be careful and encounters have overall repercussions during and after them makes it hit some similar notes.

Yep, the combat is great on blood and broken bones. Sometimes he attacks slower than you'd like but I like how it's sort of resetting the action game damage done by batman and shadows of mordor who let you escape out of basically any situation. Need to be smart and get a good position at all times...just don't get trapped and need to jump...because as far as I can tell you can't in combat, unless you're riding a horse.

Also attacking with a horse is awesome, the slowmo when holding down x and approaching is pretty cool too. The animation or hit detect can be a bit iffy, especially if the enemy jumps when your sword connects with them but it's mostly fine and you can do big damage with single swings and cuts too.

Apt101

Put in three hours on the PC version tonight. I think the combat is fine. I'm also playing it on normal. Extremely impressed with high settings and default post processing with an i7-4790 and GTX 970 @ 1080. Gorgeous.

zkorejo

I regretted when I
Killed the whispering tree, I thought it was tricking me. Maybe If I saved the tree, I would have saved the orphans and Johnny.

Any level up tips? I'm level 4 and trying to do all side-missions on the notice board, but having trouble with a Level 10 side-quest where I fight
Jenny, The Wrath

Also, how to I level-up my persuasion technique to help change people's mind with certain dialogues?

Afrodium

Banned
Any level up tips? I'm level 4 and trying to do all side-missions on the notice board, but having trouble with a Level 10 side-quest where I fight
Jenny, The Wrath

You're having trouble because you're level 4 and playing a level 10 quests. Go explore and find some level appropriate quests.

npa189

That werwolf fight was bullshit, things hitting you for 500 damage is a little unfair.

I'm level 4 in the second area, is it just me or do you level too slowly? I can't find any EXP to bridge the gap between where I am and where I should be, should I go back to White Orchid? All these quest just want to kick my ass in this area.

Ghost23

Accidently skipped a cutscene in the Bog area. Could someone explain what happens?
It was when the three women witch people were explaining what happened when Ciri arrived at the swamp. I accidentally pressed square and missed what happened for most of it. Now I'm playing as Ciri trying to escape the swamp without knowing why.

Skyzard

Banned
Sometimes I don't take payment, especially with the seemingly poorer folk but it feels like I'm losing at the game by doing that, not for having less money but just because he keeps going on about the witcher's code and always charging...yet they keep giving you the option.

This is kinda driving me crazy,
I should be able to clear out this abandon site? But I cant find the monster nest or anything around that area to get rid of?

Yeah same question. Maybe a time related monster shows up there? Will have to check back later.

Come back at a different time, I went past that spot many times before clearing it (testing framerate near inbetween two locations there ha), sometimes there were enemies, sometimes there weren't (
drowners
iirc).

such a brutal world.

On second thought, I probably shouldn't have
turned him in. His town was invaded and he didn't kill anyone, just slowed their weapon productions. Smith was isolated and angry, he wouldn't have forgiven him.
Good thing it's only a game :]

Afrodium

Banned
That werwolf fight was bullshit, things hitting you for 500 damage is a little unfair.

I'm level 4 in the second area, is it just me or do you level too slowly? I can't find any EXP to bridge the gap between where I am and where I should be, should I go back to White Orchid? All these quest just want to kick my ass in this area.

If there's a gap between yourself and the main quest then the game us telling you to do side quests. If you don't have any in your level then just ride to every notice board and stock up on quests. You should also run into some on the countryside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom