• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
Pardon me if this is a stupid question but is Novigrad the big city up north in Velen? Or is that its own area?

SaberVulcan

So I remembered someone asking whether or not you can find monsters that are stronger than you randomly out in the wild.

Yeah I am level 7 and I have come across several level 15-20 monsters. Managed to kill the level 15 after trial and error (and getting 2 shot many times). Also killed that level 7 monster near the level 1-2 area.

So, they exist, and are usually guarding something.

So I remembered someone asking whether or not you can find monsters that are stronger than you randomly out in the wild. Earlier I was just exploring stuff and I came across this hill. At the base of it was a level 14 Wyvern, and at the top was this thing which was level 19. I was only a level 11 when I killed it. For anyone that wants to know, it's a
Cyclops

I found this same spot, but at level 5. Considered running away, but I managed to pull a nifty little manoeuvre with that
Cyclops
by leading him around the little building he was protecting, then looping around the back to get at his sweet treasure. Good LORD he had some amazing stuff, but I don't think I'm going to be able to craft the gear from those diagrams for another thirty hours or so :p

Anung

Un Rama
Trying to rock that Virgil look

11058138_10153326019972392_2338953556846057950_o.jpg

Code:
[IMG]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/t31.0-8/11265631_10153326021277392_7929853575218456508_o.jpg[/IMG]

Shame you can't dye clothes/armour to change their colour.

I'm curious if there's repercusions for romancing both triss and yen. Seems like there would be.

I looked this up as I was curious too. Light Spoilers first to answer your question. Detailed Spoilers below. :)

There are. If you want to know what happens look below.

Sounds like what happens, is at the end of the game, the two ladies invite Geralt upstairs for what seems like a threesome, before they both walk out leaving him handcuffed to the bed. I'm not sure if the situation resolves itself by the very end of the game or if that leaves Geralt single, haha.

Okay just got to the Family Matters quest and I officially don't like playing the game anymore.

Having to repeat a quest 20+ times because of the poor camera and hitboxes is so frustrating.

The crafting mechanic is far too complicated, the weapon durability an absolute pain, and the combat isn't rewarding.

So disappointed, bought it digitally too.

Camera is definitely a problem, but one I managed to mostly fix by turning the camera sensitivity down. I'm not sure about your other complaints, especially the hitboxes and crafting ones. Hitboxes are fair and crafting is as standard as it gets. Get ingredients, make thing. I don't know how it could be easier unless they got rid of the ingredients part.

Kept dying in the second part, only had some meat for healing and the camera made it hard to see where attacks came from.

Are you using potions?? You should be using those for healing.

Why did you have to repeat the quest 20 times?

How is the crafting mechanic complicated? It's the standard. "Have enough of each ingredient" mechanic.

How often have you had to repair? I've had to do it 3 times in 15 hours, which is not bad.

Kept dying in the second part, only had some meat for healing and the camera made it hard to see where attacks came from.

Crafting I don't understand, there are so many items that seem completely useless.

Had to repair armour once, but couldn't repair my silver sword.

I also spent an hour trying to do a contract in a cave. Kept looking and looking for something, killed everything but nothing would happen. Go into the quest screen and up pops a warning that the quest is too high a level (22) to complete. Why offer it at all?

Tiops

Is there any site that contains information on where to gather specific resources for crafting? I have tons of recipes but almost all of them are missing components.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Damn, that fight in the caves,
the one after the gollem. God dammit was that White Hunt guy though. After two deaths I figured it out (or cheesed it out?) when the witch attacks him I jumped in then backdashed. Had to keep at it. Loving the difficulty so far (even on normal, hey I am a wimp :p).

Tenebrous

I just got the 1.03 update. How are people finding the performance post-patch?

On PC? Identical. Rock steady 30fps at 1440p/Ultra no Hairworks.

Anyone else find the side content lacking? Sure, it's head and tails ahead of shite like Skyrim, but there's nout memorable, and nothing lasting more than 10 or so minutes so far. Maybe it'll change further into the game, but I miss the days where RPGs had side quest-chains that'd rival those of a modern RPGs main quest.

I looked this up as I was curious too. Light Spoilers first to answer your question. Detailed Spoilers below. :)

There are. If you want to know what happens look below.

Sounds like what happens, is at the end of the game, the two ladies invite Geralt upstairs for what seems like a threesome, before they both walk out leaving him handcuffed to the bed. I'm not sure if the situation resolves itself by the very end of the game or if that leaves Geralt single, haha.
Thanks. Regardless I'm team triss all the way.

Crafting I don't understand, there are so many items that seem completely useless.

I also spent an hour trying to do a contract in a cave. Kept looking and looking for something, killed everything but nothing would happen. Go into the quest screen and up pops a warning that the quest is too high a level (22) to complete. Why offer it at all?

so you can plan and prepare for it. Dont do it then, thats not really a complaint, I like the fact I can see what quests I have to do before I am able to.

Does the game give you Weapon and Armour diagrams of roughly the same level you are when you find them, or are they fixed?

Life would be be better if durability didn't exist in games outside of limited use items

I can't seem to find the Moon Dust bomb Recipe... Can someone tell me where it is?

Also the Beast oil but that isn't much important right now. I cannot beat the
Jenny of the wood
without the bomb ;_;, at least not on Death's March.

Ok just beat the quest. I was lv 13 btw. Enhance weapon and armor nearby the village, go to fight place, apply spectre oil, use Wyvern Decotion(increases attack after each successful blow),use Yrden sign and hit it ONLY INSIDE THE CIRCLE.Took me a few tries and experimentations to figure it out.

And without the Moon Dust Bomb!

I don't really know how to answer other than asking if you've never played an RPG before? This crafting system is how crafting works in probably the majority of RPGs, it's one of the most basics versions of the system.

Likewise, many RPGs allow you to take on quests that are too high a level for you. I think the game should do a better job at surfacing the level requirement for the quest when you first get it, but it's all there in the quest log for you to look at before you commit to anything. Which is how a lot of RPGs handle quests.

You should be using potions for healing in combat. Or just meditate afterwards, unless you're playing on a harder difficulty.

I don't really know how to answer other than asking if you've never played an RPG before? This crafting system is how crafting works in probably the majority of RPGs, it's one of the most basics versions of the system.

Likewise, many RPGs allow you to take on quests that are too high a level for you. I think the game should do a better job at surfacing the level requirement for the quest when you first get it, but it's all there in the quest log for you to look at before you commit to anything. Which is how a lot of RPGs handle quests.

You should be using potions for healing in combat. Or just meditate afterwards, unless you're playing on a harder difficulty.

Playing on Blood and Bones.

Never played an RPG before outside of a few hours on DaRk Souls.

It just shows the quality of the game. I am taking my time exploring and doing side quests. I don't feel compelled rushing through the continent/main story.

The thing I appreciate the most about this game is that the world isn't ending (at least insofar as White Orchard), and there's no urgency underscoring the primary quest line. You're encouraged to live the day-to-day of a Witcher.

Vitor711

waaah where do folk find this stuff?!? so jealous

It's in the
Dragon Slayer cave found to the south-east of the bloody baron's city, in the forest over the river. It's near a questline that involves the witches, just above the orphanage.

Totally worth seeking out the armour it's baller as shit.

JambiBum

I found this same spot, but at level 5. Considered running away, but I managed to pull a nifty little manoeuvre with that
Cyclops
by leading him around the little building he was protecting, then looping around the back to get at his sweet treasure. Good LORD he had some amazing stuff, but I don't think I'm going to be able to craft the gear from those diagrams for another thirty hours or so :p

I've found quite a few different places now where I've had to just go NOPE and run away. Then I level some and go back when I feel ready. That monster was one of the harder ones I've fought just because he was faster than I anticipated. Once I got the timing down I managed to kill him. I also found a (monster spoiler)
Gargoyle
where I had to go back to fight later. The guarded treasure locations will usually have some of the more unique monsters attached to them.

The thing I appreciate the most about this game is that the world isn't ending (at least insofar as White Orchard), and there's no urgency underscoring the primary quest line. You're encouraged to live the day-to-day of a Witcher.

So much this.

So refreshing to play a game that is like this. Just explore, help people, loot people, and just take the world in. Rather than the need to rush through stuff to progress into the story.

Serrato

Ok just beat the quest. I was lv 13 btw. Enhance weapon and armor nearby the village, go to fight place, apply spectre oil, use Wyvern Decotion(increases attack after each successful blow),use Yrden sign and hit it ONLY INSIDE THE CIRCLE.Took me a few tries and experimentations to figure it out.

And without the Moon Dust Bomb!

Nice!
But how can you keep it from healing itself?

Lunar15

I like the implication that if Geralt drinks at night, he can drunkenly refill all of his potions, re-craft his bombs, and remake all of his oils.

cresto

Xbox One.

I have oil in inventory but can't select, do I need to craft it?

Bring up the wheel just like you would for spells (LB?) and equip on the of bombs. You can only do so one at a time. Then you use RB to toss the nade just like the crossbow. You can tap RB to throw the bomb at a selected enemy or hold RB to aim it. Best way to clear a bandit camp imo :D

Same goes for the torch. If you want to use it, equip it through the wheel, then hit RB to ignite the torch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom