• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Any tips for beating the Wyvern at the Lighthouse in the Griffin School gear/armour quest? It's a level 14 while I'm a 7. I'm using it's weaknesses against it but still struggling.

Best to leave it and level up along with better armour?

Red Hood

Banned
Anyone noticing some performance issues (~ 10fps drops) after installing the 1.03 update? Or maybe that's a coincidence since I just entered Velen which maybe is a little more taxing than White Orchard?

Normal shouldn't even exist as an option. It's only slightly harder to play than a screensaver.

Um... So? If dude is obviously struggling on hard, why should he be kept from enjoying the story and world?

Don't be so elitist. There's nothing wrong with playing on normal or easy mode.

Forkball

More witchin' today. Taking a break at the Wandering in the Dark quest. If you're hurting for armor, I recommend buying recipes from blacksmiths. A lot of them are fairly easy to make when you have the crafting recipe. I just made one that was like double my current defense.

Also there are some definite "don't go here yet" areas. I was exploring and found a treasure guarded by a level 15 creature when I was level 4. I lost. I WILL HAVE MY VENGEANCE BILGE HAG.

Any tips for beating the Wyvern at the Lighthouse in the Griffin School gear/armour quest? It's a level 14 while I'm a 7. I'm using it's weaknesses against it but still struggling.

I was level 9 but I beat it without getting hit once including my quen shield. Is it a red skull for you? Just dodge to its flank and you'll be fine. All its attacks are in front of its face.

Yibby

I really enjoy the detective like preparation Geralt does at the beginning of a quest, especially since it can add to the dialogue options depending on what you find.

Haha, that's really great in this game. Everytime i do this, i feel like a medieval Batman ^^
BULOoH8.jpg

dedhead54

I feel like I am underpowered in terms of armor and swords. I have done a ton of exploring and I have a couple of weapon diagrams but they are for level 1 swords, although one seems to be pretty cool
Viper silver sword, but one of the things I need to craft it costs like 500 coins
. Same with armor, nothing that is close to what my level is (7).

I have gone out of my way to look for stuff but just feel like I haven't found it. If anyone has any suggestions here, I am all ears. Am I actually underpowered? At level 7 my stats are like this:

silver sword 180
steel sword 155
armor 70

Has anyone with a GOG Copy played it through the Steam Overlay? I noticed when I tired that, that it broke the "last played" time in GOG Galaxy, which is fine, but I was worried that it also screwed up achievements, which I don't really care about, but would like to see at least.

Can anyone confirm they're using the Steam overlay and still getting GOG Galaxy achievements?

roytheone

Man, that completely optional story by that hunter guy in white orchard about
how he was driven out of town because he was gay, and that his lover committed suicide soon after.
Has nothing to do with the quest or anything, just some background story you can find, and it is a better story than 90 % of the quest story-lines in other rpg's. Amazing.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Normal shouldn't even exist as an option. It's only slightly harder to play than a screensaver.
I'm playing on Death March with minimal HUD, no points of interest and strict role playing and that's the perfect experience for me, but my work affords me a lot of free time so I can play as deep as I like.

My partner is lucky to spare a handful of hours a week for games so she's playing on Normal, as she has no time for frustration and wasted time when she's gaming. It's fun watching Geralt slice through enemies like butter (and oddly lore appropriate).

Options are a good thing. They make this beautiful world available for more people by allowing them to tailor the experience to their preferences.

On PC? Identical. Rock steady 30fps at 1440p/Ultra no Hairworks.

Anyone else find the side content lacking? Sure, it's head and tails ahead of shite like Skyrim, but there's nout memorable, and nothing lasting more than 10 or so minutes so far. Maybe it'll change further into the game, but I miss the days where RPGs had side quest-chains that'd rival those of a modern RPGs main quest.
How far in are you? This is just silly. The side content rivals the old days.

Is this safe to buy on Green Man Gaming now?

Its 27% off, so unless there is a better deal somewhere else, I'd like to save the money if I can

OmegaDL50

Just arrived in Velen and started hitting the notice boards, and then the ? marks started showing up all over the place.

I thought White Orchard was huge, I may have seriously underestimated the vastness before me.

And I knew the game world was basically 2.5x larger then Skyrim, but the impact of that is finally settling in.

And to think I haven't even visited Novigrad or Skellige yet.

What graphics card are you using? Do you have the GoG or Steam overlays open?

GoG Galaxy has an overlay?

Anyone else find the side content lacking? Sure, it's head and tails ahead of shite like Skyrim, but there's nout memorable, and nothing lasting more than 10 or so minutes so far. Maybe it'll change further into the game, but I miss the days where RPGs had side quest-chains that'd rival those of a modern RPGs main quest.

I think you'll be happy as you go on. There's a chain of 3 or 4 sidequests for a certain sorceress you meet early on that took me 2 hours or more to work my way through.

hbkdx12

Damn, that fight in the caves,
the one after the gollem. God dammit was that White Hunt guy though. After two deaths I figured it out (or cheesed it out?) when the witch attacks him I jumped in then backdashed. Had to keep at it. Loving the difficulty so far (even on normal, hey I am a wimp :p).

I recently completed that mission. I think it was probably the most tedious fight i've had thus far. It was literally: Activate quen>attack >dodge to the left>attack twice>dodge to the left>repeat. If i get hit, reactivate quen.

A lot of people seem to really like the combat and it's a bit lost on me. It's serviceable and by serviceable i mean AssCreed serviceable. The only thing it's missing is the "Hit triangle to counter/win" button.

It's a bit frustrating to watch Geralt do unnecessary jumps and twirls just to land a simple 3 hit combo. It makes the combat feel disjointed and tedious especially when your fighting monsters that will often jump out of the way after the first or second hit. So it's basically attack once or twice, have monster back away then either dodge/block when they lunge and then repeat.

The signs are a key part of combat and make things interesting but unfortunately they just add to the tedium given the fact that to switch you have to pull up the radial wheel. There really should have been some kind of quick swap between your last 2 signs to keep things more fluid and on the fly

Afrodium

Banned

First off, horrible spoiler tags. Second, if a quest is twice your level then you're probably struggling because the quest is twice your level.

tuxfool

Banned

There is so much of it...and the way that some of it integrates into the storyline is pretty neat

Ushay

This game is so good, my OCD will be the end of me though lol, I slowly took out a camp of level 10s while being a level 4 tonight, I think I spent an hour trolling them one at a time and carefully fighting them so I wouldn't die lmao! I really should attempt to go for the quest, but there's so much hidden stuff everywhere and also hardest difficultly ftw!

Haha, I do the same thing. I trolled a water hag that was 4 levels higher than me for over 20 minutes. Also playing on Death March and loving it. The challenge this game offers is great, even more so as its very rewarding as well.

Quick question; When you meditate and the bombs, oils etc restock. How does this work, does it use just alcohaust or other materials?

OmegaDL50

I recently completed that mission. I think it was probably the most tedious fight i've had thus far. It was literally: Activate quen>attack >dodge to the left>attack twice>dodge to the left>repeat. If i get hit, reactivate quen.

A lot of people seem to really like the combat and it's a bit lost on me. It's serviceable and by serviceable i mean AssCreed serviceable. The only thing it's missing is the "Hit triangle to counter/win" button.

It's a bit frustrating to watch Geralt do unnecessary jumps and twirls just to land a simple 3 hit combo. It makes the combat feel disjointed and tedious especially when your fighting monsters that will often jump out of the way after the first or second hit. So it's basically attack once or twice, have monster back away then either dodge/block when they lunge and then repeat.

The signs are a key part of combat and make things interesting but unfortunately they just add to the tedium given the fact that to switch you have to pull up the radial wheel. There really should have been some kind of quick swap between your last 2 signs to keep things more fluid and on the fly

Have you been using the O / Circle sidestep maneuver. Rather then the diving dodge? I have found it's actually more useful especially on enemies that do lunging attacks like Wolves and Ghouls. Basically the sidestep positions yourself to where the enemy just slips past you and you can do an immediate back attack.

Haven't gotten the combat down yet, but I've only played a few hours so far. Can still get my ass handed to me by drowners.

Dodging and rolling seems to work best for creatures, but when you're surrounded by a whole group it can get confusing.

I need advice for the botchling quest. Fucking wraiths are so annoying with their double attacks. And they thought it would be a great idea for the player to fight multiple wraiths with this shitty targeting system.

Facism

What graphics card are you using? Do you have the GoG or Steam overlays open?

660gtx stock. No overlays.

6th crash. Won't be able to progress because of the dialogue/scene heavy section i'm in. Can't get through it quick enough to any point where i can save.

Wish i could roll this shit back.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
w1s0be4.png

w25galt.png

Enough Witcher for one day.

RoKKeR

For those who have completed the "Wandering in the Dark" quest, how do you get past this rock wall/area? Picture in link:

http://imgur.com/ReTza0G

Can't figure it out. The symbol next to it looks like a sun. I've tried bombs and Aard, no luck.

I need advice for the botchling quest. Fucking wraiths are so annoying with their double attacks. And they thought it would be a great idea for the player to fight multiple wraiths with this shitty targeting system.

Go up near the gate and use the little stone fence to separate them. Use Yrden too

Don't target when fighting multiple enemies. Yrden works pretty good against them. Just try to separate one from the pack and take him on.

Hunting monsters, muddy swamps, stormy weather. Yep, this is a Witcher game alright.

8ZD4sE4.jpg

Beefy

How far through is this quest? Wondering if I'd missed it..
I'm playing through on a default World State so praying he's not dead

There is a old lady cry on the side of the road in the village of Lindenvale in Velen. She gives you a quest called The fall of the House of Reardon. If he isn't dead you will see him. During a fight he asks you to stay out of ot, if you don't and kill the others of he joins you in Kaer Morhen.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You guys are using yrden against the wraiths right?

finalflame

After playing a few more hours, I am convinced the entire team who is responsible for controls in Witcher 2 + 3 needs to be fucking fired. Geralt's clumsy and imprecise "momentum" and movement feels extremely janky and this was already a problem in 2. You'd think they would have fixed it. Nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom