• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
As much as I love your screenshots, can you please blur out quest tracker?

My bad, sorry. You get that one super early though, so no spoils.

So annoyed I bought this, lesson learnt.

And outside of my inability to understand most of it, the frame-pacing is super noticeable now, makes me nauseous after an hour or so.

hbkdx12

Have you been using the O / Circle sidestep maneuver. Rather then the diving dodge? I have found it's actually more useful especially on enemies that do lunging attacks like Wolves and Ghouls. Basically the sidestep positions yourself to where the enemy just slips past you and you can do an immediate back attack.

Yeah I use the circle dodge. I generally avoid rolling unless i'm being massively crowded or i'm dealing with a huge enemy that AOE attacks.

hemo memo

Gold Member
witcher32015-05-2116-rpsxx.jpg

What does that mean?

illusions

you'll get an item that breaks them in the main questline

Go up near the gate and use the little stone fence to separate them. Use Yrden too

Don't target when fighting multiple enemies. Yrden works pretty good against them. Just try to separate one from the pack and take him on.

Hunting monsters, muddy swamps, stormy weather. Yep, this is a Witcher game alright.

8ZD4sE4.jpg

Glad I'm not the only one.
Past the first part easily but the second part is still bullshit.

SomTervo

I need advice for the botchling quest. Fucking wraiths are so annoying with their double attacks. And they thought it would be a great idea for the player to fight multiple wraiths with this shitty targeting system.

Yrden and Quen + spectre oil

Make sure you keep attacking, but if two are near you roll away.

[edit: also remember to use efficient combos. Eg starting with Strong is bad - mix it up with Light-Strong-Strong etc. lets you move faster while dealing high damage. This technique pretty much won the fight for me.

Also DONT USE LOCK ON AGAINST MULTIPLE ENEMIES]

When one teleports away, get ready to roll away from your position as theyll probably appear behind you. THEN they'll do their double spin attack, and this is pretty formulaic, so roll away then wait for the last swipe then strong attack in

This fight took me a full 90 minutes or so to get down. The thing that realky kills it is the terrible checkpoint back before you meet the botchling. I'd call this game a masterpiece if it werent for a few encounter design missteps like this

Anung

Un Rama
Damn, Witcher fasion is expensive. Had 4k gold saved up but just went on a spending spree and I'm down to 1,700 gold D: New stuff is decent though.

Newman96

There is a old lady cry on the side of the road in the village of Lindenvale in Velen. She gives you a quest called The fall of the House of Reardon. If he isn't dead you will see him. During a fight he asks you to stay out of ot, if you don't and kill the others of he joins you in Kaer Morhen.

I've done that quest and didn't see him, gutted. :(

Tenebrous

How far in are you? This is just silly. The side content rivals the old days.

20 hours. I've done
all the content for the Baron
, and that was pretty enjoyable as far as modern main quests go, but I've not been asked to do anything special by random NPCs around the world to date. Just
look for my husband by his traps
look for my brother where the battle was
, etc. Throwaway 10 minute side segments which I won't remember next week, never mind in years to come.

And I'm still not enjoying the overall dependance on Witcher Senses. Not only because to FOV hurts my head, but because it's seemingly the answer to everything slightly mysterious.

jasonmb17

The signs are a key part of combat and make things interesting but unfortunately they just add to the tedium given the fact that to switch you have to pull up the radial wheel. There really should have been some kind of quick swap between your last 2 signs to keep things more fluid and on the fly

When holding the parry button, you can hit right or left to quickly switch between signs.

pakkit

Banned
What are y'all favorite signs? WIthout having buffed too many of the spells (I'm going for a sign/light swordsman build, but I'm only level 6 right now), I really like Yrden (It wasn't that great in W2), and Quen, of course, is still the crutch to lean on in harder difficulties. Yrden, especially after its duration is increased, is great against almost everything. Those drowners that keep charging? Slow 'em down. Those bears? With more reaction time, their attacks are clearly telegraphed. Those wraiths that can dissipate at will? Get up close and personal and finish them off before they can react. My magic build in Witcher 2 used Heliotrope sign (effectively a large-range Yrden) a lot, so it's nice to see it translated into W3.

Quen is still the beast it was in W2. I especially like that you can see an enemy in the distance, cast Quen before entering combat, and then have another sign at your fingers before the first blow has even been landed.

Igni is only really useful when in the bogs, or if there's an explodeable barrel nearby. Although, early White Orchard tip for the herbalist:
Igni burns down the beehives, allowing you to farm all the comb you need and then sell it back to the herbalist. If you wanna really abuse the system, turn off the music in game...you'll hear the bees in the open world ~15 feet away. Then, if you want to invest in crafting, go to the herbalist, sell enough comb until she is broke, then buy all the crafting materials you need off of her (refilling her bank) and the sell more comb to her to get your money back. In effect, you're getting crafting materials for free.
I wish Igni was more reliable, for example, drowners are supposedly extremely susceptible to fire, and yet they don't consistently go up in flame. Considering they're so fast and cumbersome at lower levels, it can be a waste.

Axii seems to have improved quite a bit, but I've never really liked it as a spell. I usually use it when I'm down to one enemy and feel like ending the fight quickly. I also appreciate that Axii as a dialogue option seems to have more negative potential than it did in W2. With a couple of exceptions (literally two), Axii was a "win" option in dialogue in W2. Now it can breed contempt, which is more in line with its use in the books.

And Aard is nice especially since the world seems much less physically tied down, but I wish its knockdown rate was a little more obvious. Still, using Aard in a cave with breakable stalagtites...or on a bog where the water ripples out...such a sweet effect. I was disappointed when I tried to use Aard on some deserters on a hilltop in White Orchard, seems like only Geralt can fall to his death.

So it goes:

1. Quen
2. Yrden
3. Igni
4. Axii
5. Aard

SomTervo

It assumes a core understanding of the mechanics from other games in the genre.

But that's my fault.

It doesn't I'm afraid. All the controls and many of the mechanics have been very revamped or are entirely new.

Some strategic concepts - potions, sign systems - are unique to the series but the game teaches you how to use them.

Read through all the tutorials and the manual maybe. I know a lot of non-Witcher players who are doing fine with this.

If it just doesn't gel with you, though, then fair enough

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
So far as the wraiths go, have you upgraded your silver sword at all? The one you have at the start of the game is going to drag things out.

I have some basic light armor + cat school + viper sword + thunderbolt + specter oil + a few points in light attack & they just kind of fall apart.

Just keep moving so you can't get mobbed

Yrden and Quen + spectre oil

Make sure you keep attacking, but if two are near you roll away.

[edit: also remember to use efficient combos. Eg starting with Strong is bad - mix it up with Light-Strong-Strong etc. lets you move faster while dealing high damage. This technique pretty much won the fight for me.

Also DONT USE LOCK ON AGAINST MULTIPLE ENEMIES]

When one teleports away, get ready to roll away from your position as theyll probably appear behind you. THEN they'll do their double spin attack, and this is pretty formulaic, so roll away then wait for the last swipe then strong attack in

This fight took me a full 90 minutes or so to get down. The thing that realky kills it is the terrible checkpoint back before you meet the botchling. I'd call this game a masterpiece if it werent for a few encounter design missteps like this
I'm heading to the second part again. Hopefully I don't die and restart the entire encounter again.

It doesn't I'm afraid. All the controls and many of the mechanics have been very revamped or are entirely new.

Some strategic concepts - potions, sign systems - are unique to the series but the game teaches you how to use them.

Read through all the tutorials and the manual maybe. I know a lot of non-Witcher players who are doing fine with this.

If it just doesn't gel with you, though, then fair enough

gameplay is drastically different in both previous games.

Guys. He said "genre" not "series." He's running into trouble because he's never played any RPG other than a couple hours of Dark Souls.

Sifl

Stuck on a scavenger hunt quest.
I can't figure out how to get into the ruins by the lighthouse for the Griffon gear.
Anyone know what to do?

Seems the new patch broke the no weight limit mod. Is there a fix out? Also heard its pretty easy to fix yourself, someone who might wanna provide some help? I'm a filthy hoarder and i can't control myself.

RK9039

I can't figure out how to get into the ruins by the lighthouse for the Griffon gear.
Anyone know what to do?

Swim
, watch out for the drowners.

And also watch out for the
Wyvern
, you may need to shoot him down and then go back down yourself to fight him.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Anyone know what to do?

This one took me a while.

Underwater passage near the place of power

Einbroch

Banned
Started playing, and yeah, I can't play this game on my TV, the text is microscopic. I had to move it to my office and play on my monitor.

My eyes actually started hurting trying to read it.

Werewolf on death march. Omg. Heals for 52 health per second. My sword did 100 per swing. Igni kept failing to ignite and I used my poison bombs prior to the cutscenes. I was horribly under levelled for this bit.

As a side note. Just crafted an item and I was really happy to use it. Only 20 levels before I can. Fuck level limits. If I've toiled my ass to grind some of these rare ass ingredients at least let me have a slight advantage!

aravuus

What are y'all favorite signs?

1. Quen
2. Yrden
3. Igni
4. Axii
5. Aard

Yup. Agree with you on all fronts, and I'm also aiming for a light armor + sword + signs build. Quen alone is worth all the points put into the signs tree since you'll most likely be regenerating stamina real quick later.

Don't even know how many times I would have died already if Quen wasn't there to back me up. I love you, Quen.

Anyone know what to do?

I jumped across and did some weird geometry shit and somehow got behind the gate. It doesn't seem like there's a way to get it down from the other end. Spent like 15 minutes there before I got it.

bbd23

so im doing the "towerful of mice" quest

are the items on the ground supposed to move and make this much noise? shit is spooky man but I feel like my game is glitching xD

hbkdx12

When holding the parry button, you can hit right or left to quickly switch between signs.
Is this one of those nuggets people just happened to find out about like the hold start to go straight to the map or was this advertised somewhere and i missed it? That may make all the difference for me in terms of warming up to the combat although i'd still pretty a quick swap between the last two recent signs

What are y'all favorite signs? WIthout having buffed too many of the spells (I'm going for a sign/light swordsman build, but I'm only level 6 right now), I really like Yrden (It wasn't that great in W2), and Quen, of course, is still the crutch to lean on in harder difficulties. Yrden, especially after its duration is increased, is great against almost everything. Those drowners that keep charging? Slow 'em down. Those bears? With more reaction time, their attacks are clearly telegraphed. Those wraiths that can dissipate at will? Get up close and personal and finish them off before they can react. My magic build in Witcher 2 used Heliotrope sign (effectively a large-range Yrden) a lot, so it's nice to see it translated into W3.

Quen is still the beast it was in W2. I especially like that you can see an enemy in the distance, cast Quen before entering combat, and then have another sign at your fingers before the first blow has even been landed.

Igni is only really useful when in the bogs, or if there's an explodeable barrel nearby. Although, early White Orchard tip for the herbalist:
Igni burns down the beehives, allowing you to farm all the comb you need and then sell it back to the herbalist. If you wanna really abuse the system, turn off the music in game...you'll hear the bees in the open world ~15 feet away. Then, if you want to invest in crafting, go to the herbalist, sell enough comb until she is broke, then buy all the crafting materials you need off of her (refilling her bank) and the sell more comb to her to get your money back. In effect, you're getting crafting materials for free.
I wish Igni was more reliable, for example, drowners are supposedly extremely susceptible to fire, and yet they don't consistently go up in flame. Considering they're so fast and cumbersome at lower levels, it can be a waste.

Axii seems to have improved quite a bit, but I've never really liked it as a spell. I usually use it when I'm down to one enemy and feel like ending the fight quickly. I also appreciate that Axii as a dialogue option seems to have more negative potential than it did in W2. With a couple of exceptions (literally two), Axii was a "win" option in dialogue in W2. Now it can breed contempt, which is more in line with its use in the books.

And Aard is nice especially since the world seems much less physically tied down, but I wish its knockdown rate was a little more obvious. Still, using Aard in a cave with breakable stalagtites...or on a bog where the water ripples out...such a sweet effect. I was disappointed when I tried to use Aard on some deserters on a hilltop in White Orchard, seems like only Geralt can fall to his death.

So it goes:

1. Quen
2. Yrden
3. Igni
4. Axii
5. Aard

I use quen a lot. I haven't upgraded it to get the bubble shield yet but im interested to see if it's worth it (any thoughts?) I upgraded the alternate ability for igni but i hate it with a passion and feel like i wasted hard earned points upgrading it which is why i'm a bit skeptical about upgrading quen. I've upgraded axii to where i have the alternate ability but i feel its not as effective as i'd want it to be and some enemies it just doesn't work on. I'm assuming because they're a bit higher than me in level. I invested in it more for the dialogue options moreso than the combat although i haven't run across a lot of dialogue that even lets me take advantage of it. I don't use aard at all unless i'm forced to really.I like the idea of yrden but i don't like the idea of feeling like i need to bait things into the circle or maneuver in such a way that keeps them there.

So for me: Quen>Axii>Yrden>>>>>Igni>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Aard

Honestly this is my favorite part of his characterization and is really keeping me involved in the plot.

Yeah, at first I wasn't sure about the whole "Witcher senses" thing, but it really adds a lot, and I think Geralt's English VA really sells the whole "I'm a fantasy detective" thing well while he muses over his findings.

I do wish it was easier to find stuff in the environment when *not* using the senses though. I find myself spamming it all the time just to make sure I don't miss stuff.

RK9039

Yup. Agree with you on all fronts, and I'm also aiming for a light armor + sword + signs build. Quen alone is worth all the points put into the signs tree since you'll most likely be regenerating stamina real quick later.

Don't even know how many times I would have died already if Quen wasn't there to back me up. I love you, Quen.

Quen, attack, Quen, attack, Igni (ah fuck, missed) Quen, Quen, Quen.

Quen is better than Triss and Yennefer combined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom