• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoze

Maybe it's just me, but the Blizzard potion feels like it does absolutely nothing. Is it supposed to make dodges easier or attacks faster?

Apt101

It almost seems impossible how good this game is. The farther I get, the better everything about it does as well. It tells story better than most single-player games, has a more immersive world than almost any other open world (I can't say this better than GTA V's yet until I get farther on), is about as impressive technically as they come, and even its weakest point - combat - is still better than most.

I have a feeling I'm about to wrap up the main story quests here in Velen, but I have so much left to explore. I am almost level 9 now with about 25 points of interest and several contracts to complete. Think one can reach level 12 before leaving Velen?

JP

The way I go about it is I start from the top, work my way down through the "levels", and then work my way up again. Check what I need to craft the sword/whatever, check if I can craft what I don't have, otherwise check if I can get the parts for crafting those parts by dismantling other stuff, etc. I never craft anything until I need it.
Thanks.

So it isn't as simple as one or the other but knowing what you need to craft a specific item and working towards that goal? I was hoping that I'd be able to take everything to one end or the other to keep things simple.

I really wish that there was an option to have the world map pop up instantly with a single touch of the DS4 touchpad. It's not terrible as it is but I find I refer to the map a lot so a single tap of the touchpad would be perfect for me.

erawsd

If you updated to 1.04 make sure you crank up the "Texture Quality" setting. For some reason new patches always reset it to "low".

What's with alchemy not letting me make a new potion/bomb unless I discard the empty icon from my inventory?

For example, if I used up my bombs, the inventory still shows the bomb but with 0/2 on it. Yet it won't let me craft anymore until I "drop" the 0/2 item.

Is this a glitch? I figured the icon would simply disappear after using them all.

Stoze

Why in the hell can't I apply oils during a fight? That is so stupid, you could do that in Witcher 2 right?

You could in W2.

I guess it's a balance thing considering you can get oils that give you %50 damage. Also the tiers for oils in the alchemy tree look insanely good as well.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
What's with alchemy not letting me make a new potion/bomb unless I discard the empty icon from my inventory?

For example, if I used up my bombs, the inventory still shows the bomb but with 0/2 on it. Yet it won't let me craft anymore until I "drop" the 0/2 item.

Is this a glitch? I figured the icon would simply disappear after using them all.

You meditate to restock bombs and potions, you don't need to re-craft them.

stu300189

Neo Member

Meditating refills all bombs and potions.

When you meditate, it refills using alcohol.

Salaadin

As long as you have Strong Alcohol on you (alcohest or dwarven spirit), meditating will replenish bombs and potions.

zonezeus

Every alchemical item is refilled when you meditate, provided you have some alcohol in the inventory. You only need to craft potions, oils, bombs etc. once, then they're automatically refilled during meditation.

Gaz_RB

Is it just me or does (returning character spoiler)
Vernon Roche and Ves
look nothing like they did in Witcher 2. They did a good job with the other returning characters faces, but idk about these two...

Leezard

Don't craft a new one. Simply meditate and you get it replenished if you have some alcohol.

Alpende

What loading times? Are you on PC or console? I can warp to the other side of the map in 2 seconds. Try that in Bloodborne and come back to me in a few minutes when it's done.

Those fast travel loading times are fine, but if you die and you need to respawn... that takes ages. Loading from a previous safe file takes a long time. I'm on console.

Yeah, just realized yesterday oils have to be applied outside of battle and I'm not a fan of that.
Fast travel loadings are fine but the loadings after I die are getting on my nerves (PC).

King_Moc

Banned
Those fast travel loading times are fine, but if you die and you need to respawn... that takes ages. Loading from a previous safe file takes a long time. I'm on console.

Oh, ok. Those ones are longer, but it's still not too bad on pc. Bloodbornes were hell, so I feel your pain.

SomTervo

The loading times are so long. Bloodborne's were shorter.

The bizarre thing is that fast travel is superfast.

Try going to a fast travel signpost. It'll take about 10-15 seconds to load a totally separate part of the map.

But if you die, and it has to load you about 100 feet away, it takes more than a minute.

I think what this tells us is that the save files for The Witcher 3 are absolutely huge. Clearly the game can load maps and spaces quite quickly when we aren't saving or loading character/inventory/story content – but then when loading after death or initial start up, when the game is building a save file and gathering everything it needs for a certain save state, it takes bloody forever.

Wonder if they can optimise that on consoles. The death/initial start up load is a fucking killer.

You meditate to restock bombs and potions, you don't need to re-craft them.

Holy shit I feel dumb.

I thought meditating was just a time-advance mechanic, now that it's no longer required for drinking potions like the last game. So I've used it like once and that was really early before I even crafted any potions or bombs.

Well at least I haven't wasted too many crafting items yet, since I've stolen more than enough free food to sustain myself.

Salaadin

Anyone on PC and getting crashes? Can you check your Event Viewer and go to Warning and then Display....do you have this message:

"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Every crash that I get is related to this Warning error. Nvidia has a guide up on their forums to troubleshoot it but they say it could be any of these:

-Incorrect memory timings or voltages
-Insufficient/problematic PSU
-Corrupt driver install
-Overheating
-Unstable overclocks (GPU or CPU)
-Incorrect MB voltages (generally NB/SB)
-Faulty graphics card
-A badly written driver or piece of software, but this is an unlikely cause in most cases
-Driver conflicts
-Another possibility that people tend not to like to hear, is that you are simply asking too much of your graphics card. What I mean by this, is that if you have your settings too high and the graphics card struggles and falls to very low FPS, then something graphically complex occurs, the GPU may not be able to respond and a TDR error may occur
-Some users have experienced TDR errors whilst browsing the web with the 280.xx, 285.xx and 290.xx drivers. Please head to this link to clarify if this is relevant to you - this is quite a specific issue which seems to predominantly affect web browsing as opposed to gaming. There are no categoric fixes but some users have found that changing the power management mode to 'Prefer Maximum Performance' has helped.

Im not ready to freak out yet as I know thse Nvidia drivers are faulty so Im hoping its related to that. Im just curious if others are seeing the same warning in Event Viewer.

Kama_1082

Banned
Ok, the battle system is shit. Dodging sucks, sometimes you hit the wrong target even though I'm locked on. Good thing that this game has a great story or I wouldve shelved it.

erawsd

This game has great battle themes. The exploration songs are good, but the battle themes are next level.

Song of the Sword Dancer is probably my favorite so far, best when it plays in a truly desolate swamp w/ crumbling ruins all around (a la Fyke Isle).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUCgYaUGdNA

Hell yes, this theme is awesome. I'm surprised at how many different battle themes there seems to be, I suppose it varies based on where you are.

Ok, the battle system is shit. Dodging sucks, sometimes you hit the wrong target even though I'm locked on. Good thing that this game has a great story or I wouldve shelved it.

Dont lock on.

SomTervo

Lock-on is basically terrible, don't use it.

The soft lock on (camera pulls back, adjusts slightly so you can see enemies) is 100x better. Fighting against groups is basically unwinnable when you lock-on. [Edit: with lock-on off you can direct your attacks at enemies far more easily, and the camera being farther back with wider FOV means your spacial awareness is hugely increased.]

And always remember - dodge against monsters, block against humans. (Unless they have a big two-handed weapon, in which case, dodge.)

If those are your only issues, these tips should make the experience way more enjoyable for you.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I love the feline look. Enhanced feline is better IMO but I like it all. I also just prefer playing with light armor in general.

I can't seem to find a picture of it, do you have it?

Are the English translations generally considered good? And are there different ones, or just the one in a few different editions?

Yes, they are excellent. Just one edition for all territories.

A weird thing... in White Orchard I found like 5 places of power and I am playing quite some time in the open region of Velen and havent encountered any.... I assume there are more right?

According to the guide there are
Places of Power in White Orchard and
(might have these flip flopped but close enough) so basically they are much, much denser and easier to find in White Orchard.

It's probably the slowest leveling I've ever experienced in an RPG (I'm playing on the highest difficulty), yes, but I like it. It makes each gained level feel like it's worth something, like you're on a real journey toward becoming more powerful. Sure, constantly getting new abilities can be fun, but this feels more rewarding. New upgrades are not just handed out like candy, you have to work for them.

Baldur's Gate 1 had insanely slow leveling (7-9 levels over a potential 75+ hours). I agree I really enjoy slow leveling myself.

Holy shit I feel dumb.

I thought meditating was just a time-advance mechanic, now that it's no longer required for drinking potions like the last game. So I've used it like once and that was really early before I even crafted any potions or bombs.

Well at least I haven't wasted too many crafting items yet, since I've stolen more than enough free food to sustain myself.

If you're on Broken Bones or higher it probably is handy to keep a small stock of extra ingredients until you have enough alcohol to not worry about running out as you can't replenish health by resting.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Oh Salma. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

We haven't even got 1.02 yet lol.

I've got 1.02 installed?

I've also got 1.02 (PS4), but I believe it's an EU-specific patch for localized DLC or something.

Thanks.

So it isn't as simple as one or the other but knowing what you need to craft a specific item and working towards that goal? I was hoping that I'd be able to take everything to one end or the other to keep things simple.

I'll admit I'm not that deep into the crafting yet, but no, I don't really think you can generalize it as "dismantle everything" or "craft everything into other things".

I really wish that there was an option to have the world map pop up instantly with a single touch of the DS4 touchpad. It's not terrible as it is but I find I refer to the map a lot so a single tap of the touchpad would be perfect for me.

Try swiping up or down on the touch pad. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom