• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I am over 30 hours into the game I'm starting to realize what my actual biggest complaint with this game is.

It's not the combat because despite all of its faults signs are still extremely fun to use against opponents.
It isn't the movement, though it can be frustrating it hasn't screwed me over really.

What it is, is the goddamn map.

It's lacking so many features. It doesn't even tell you the name of regions within novigrad, and I don't think oxenfurt is even named on the map it's just known as "western gate" because that's the name of the fast travel point in it.

Navigating novigrad without having an active quest for the location is horrible.

Want to find the place where Triss is chillin at? Good luck. Want to find the putrid grove again to talk to the vendor there? Better retrace your steps from that tailing mission. Want to know what the red light district is? Hope you opened your map during that quest and memorized it.

Also I wish that you could see just a bit more information. For example all your quests should show up on the map, but only the one you're tracking should be a way point.

yes, this is my biggest complaint honestly. i suck for directions in real life, this game wrecks me worse because of the lack of that.

Kama_1082

Banned
I wonder if we're going to see complaints about the combat not being as good as Bloodborne in every game thread moving forward.
Are we not allowed to compare and critize battle systems ? All I'm doing is explaining my dislike of the battle system compared to other action RPGs. And I feel that its not enjoyable for me because its not refined because of a broken lock on system, inefficient quick healing, cumbersome dodging mechanics.

Salaadin

I wonder if we're going to see complaints about the combat not being as good as Bloodborne in every game thread moving forward.
Probably. I don't understand why every game has to be like it from here on out but I guess people love it enough to want it everywhere.

I'm not thrilled with tw3 combat but it works now that I got the hang of it and have my ability points properly invested.

End game character spoilers(more about Witcher 2 characters that return or don't return)
I find it really frustrating that Saskia and the free pontar valley haven't been mentioned once(or the fact that I let dragon Saskia live). Where in the hell did Iorveth go? Why isn't Radrik's wife Anna from the Witcher 1 ever seen or mentioned? The game seems tailored to the Roche path(which isn't the save I imported) and I feel like almost nothing I did in the Witcher 2 was brought up. Very disappointing. Roche's return doesn't have much punch coming from the Iorveth playthrough where you don't see much of him and certainly don't bond in the same way.

The last two weeks have been extremely busy for me (busy time of the year for me personally) but tomorrow it'll wind down so I can properly sink my teeth in. Been playing a few hours now and then since release (mostly just finished up B
aron's
quest and K
eira's
and the odd contract.

So much still awaits.

Kama_1082

Banned
Bloodborne is like top tier in combat, but it's scope and what it tries is so limited in compared to Witcher 3 is doing, I dont think comparisons are exactly fair. Now comparing the combat to other games of its kind, I find Witcher is better then, fallout, skyrim, or Dragons age personally, but of course I can see why people would have issues with input delay and weight. It's not for everyone.
You deal with weight in the demons and dark.

But I feel if you put in a rolling and quick dodge mechanic in the battle system, its fair enough to be compared to other games that do have it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Thanks, it's a small thing but that's fantastic. Pressing the touchpad once it's open takes you straight back into the game too, really quick.

Yeah, it's nice. I just wish they had done more with it. Like, why not let swipes in four different directions open four different screens? Up: map, left: inventory, right: quests, down: bestiary. Or something. Or hell, let us map them to what we want. Having map on both up and down and nothing on left and right feels like a waste.

Forkball

Yoo, is there any combat in his quest? It's recommended for lvl 24 or something but i really wanna open him up as a vendor. I'm level 14.
There is combat, but you can kind of cheese it. Without spoiling too much, the dwarf fight can kind of be glitched out of since the goal is to escape, so you can run away, then when you come back it will trigger the next part. The final fight is easy since you have allies, so you can just throw bombs and signs from a distance. I did it at a lower level than you and many have done it below level 10. Look up a guide about it for more specifics, and I recommend having a few save states especially for the dwarf fight.

Zakalwe

Banned
Ok, the battle system is shit. Dodging sucks, sometimes you hit the wrong target even though I'm locked on. Good thing that this game has a great story or I wouldve shelved it.

Combat is great.

Target switching works perfectly for me too, not had a problem with hitting the wrong target.

Just takes some practise getting used to it. You can't just mash attack, you need to take your time and approach cautiously.

But then I much prefer the combat in this game to Souls so I may be a special case (Bloodborne is on another level, though).

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Over-Fucking-Burdened. I have +30 slots ATM, where exactly can I buy higher? I'm around Novigrad.

I love the combat too.
It's a bit like dark souls without a shield. You're not suposed to get hit, so dogde a lot.
I played through witcher 2 using nothing but quen and it's boring. So i'm avoind using it this time.

I have a lot of fun fighting large groups. Attacking, dodging, using signs.
It's like a dance.
Blood and broken bones difficulty by thew way. I'm considering switching to death march.

Yeah, exactly. Feels really good, and true to the character too. Now that I've learned to read enemies' movements, I'm a whirling dervish against monsters, and an adroit fencer against humans, constantly baiting them in and turning their movements to my advantage, seldom getting hit by non-bosses. Of course, I do get that people who are primarily action gamers would feel that Geralt's control is too slow/has too much momentum. But I like the planning and commitment required for fights at both the macro (research monsters, brew and apply oils, etc.) and micro (read attack patterns and pick your moments, don't get greedy) level.

Sifl

I'm pretty sure I have a glitched contract quest. Skellige Isles spoilers. For the contract
Muire D'yaeblen you're supposed to automatically get a alchemy recipe for Drowner Pheromones. I remember finding this recipe by exploring, but I was never able to make it. Now I can't complete the contract because the recipe in inaccessible.

Coketruck

I'm having storage issues. I'm constantly running up against my "overburdened" limit (currently at 90) and don't want to spend a ton on the +70 saddlebags. I know there's no permanent storage in the game. So, if I drop some stuff on the ground, will it remain there for me to get later, or will it disappear after a certain amount of time?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Over-Fucking-Burdened. I have +30 slots ATM, where exactly can I buy higher? I'm around Novigrad.

Putrid grove vendor minor spoiler
you have to be 2-3 quests into the meet with triss quest line
. In the putrid grove there is a vendor behind a glass door he sells saddle bags that give you a total of like 160 carry weight.

Costs 900.

Kosh

Are we not allowed to compare and critize battle systems ? All I'm doing is explaining my dislike of the battle system compared to other action RPGs. And I feel that its not enjoyable for me because its not refined because of a broken lock on system, inefficient quick healing, cumbersome dodging mechanics.

Who is "we." It's mosty just you. Everyone else has said that the combat clicks after a while. Comparing it to Souls is apples to oranges. Soul games are about combat, that's what the selling point is, where W3 is a story oriented game with combat in it.

Maybe you should turn the difficulty down a little, since it's not clicking for you on whatever difficulty you're playing on.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Personally I prefer Witcher's combat to Blooborne =/ (Please don't hurt me)

Not alone. I find the variety and options in combat far more interesting here than BB. Feels like I am actually tackling each enemy differently on death march, while in BB it's pretty much the same token strategy with chosen weapon for most of the game, just ensuring dodge and counterattack timing is on point. I like both, but I am amazed at the backlash W3 combat gets, really not sure some understand it.

aravuus

Sorry, 30 hrs in and I really dislike it. No clicking here, not even a flicker.

Haven't you already said this like three times in the past half an hour lol. It has its stupid moments, like the random long-winded light attack animations etc, but I think overall the combat is fine.

Anyway, gonna ask this here too:
Patch broke the weight limit mod again. I remember seeing a mod that didn't up the weight limit but dropped all weights to zero (or close to it) or something, that didn't get broken by patches, anyone got a link?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Should I leave White Orchard after killing the griffin or explore the question marks on the map first?

Do everything, lots of XP, loot and skill points to be had.

Kama_1082

Banned
Who is "we." It's mosty just you. Everyone else has said that the combat clicks after a while. Comparing it to Souls is apples to oranges. Soul games are about combat, that's what the selling point is, where W3 is a story oriented game with combat in it.

Maybe you should turn the difficulty down a little, since it's not clicking for you on whatever difficulty you're playing on.
I'm not saying the game is hard, I'm.saying the combat sucks. I'm playing on the hardest difficulty.

There is combat, but you can kind of cheese it. Without spoiling too much, the dwarf fight can kind of be glitched out of since the goal is to escape, so you can run away, then when you come back it will trigger the next part. The final fight is easy since you have allies, so you can just throw bombs and signs from a distance. I did it at a lower level than you and many have done it below level 10. Look up a guide about it for more specifics, and I recommend having a few save states especially for the dwarf fight.

my man, yes, thank you

Exentryk

I'm really enjoying the combat. I'll be enjoying it even more once I unlock more skills, as I really want to try out my planned build. (Playing on DM difficulty)

I'm only level 4 right now, and just started with the 2nd area of the game.

Zakalwe

Banned
Yeah, exactly. Feels really good, and true to the character too. Now that I've learned to read enemies' movements, I'm a whirling dervish against monsters, and an adroit fencer against humans, constantly baiting them in and turning their movements to my advantage, seldom getting hit by non-bosses. Of course, I do get that people who are primarily action gamers would feel that Geralt's control is too slow/has too much momentum. But I like the planning and commitment required for fights at both the macro (research monsters, brew and apply oils, etc.) and micro (read attack patterns and pick your moments, don't get greedy) level.

This is absolutely the problem people are having, imo. You need to refs he bestiary, approach each encounter with caution, plan your attacks and prioritise, prepare.

Enemies /will/ punish you if you don't and combat will feel like it lacks flow.

I'm not saying the game is hard, I'm.saying the combat sucks. I'm playing on the hardest difficulty.

It doesn't though. Combat is very fluid if you learn it properly.

Sure you can. Although most criticism I have seen so far is 'it is not Bloodborne so it's shit'.

Lock on works great for single enemy encounters, don't use it for multiple enemies, simple as that. Inefficient quick healing? I take it you haven't found White Raffard's Decoction yet. Cumbersome dodging mechanics? Dodging works great here, very fluid. Also playing at death march.

Kama_1082

Banned
Haven't you already said this like three times in the past half an hour lol. It has its stupid moments, like the random long-winded light attack animations etc, but I think overall the combat is fine.

Anyway, gonna ask this here too:
That was the reply to my first comment. But yes, I'm explaining myself about how I dont like it.

Kosh

Have you tried combat on the second hardest? Have you tried on Story and Sword? I'm just saying maybe the combat will be better for you on one of those.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
1.04 adds a negative mipmap bias of -1 which improves texture clarity, especially on fine leaf foliage, quite noticeably.

w1lcrrg.png

Zakalwe

Banned

Lock on isn't broken though. I know his for sure because I can manipulate it perfectly and never have a issue with it.

Quick healing isn't required. Back off and pp a swallow and bide your time while you regen. Use signs and bombs to CC or crossbow to whittle health from distance.

Dodging mechanics are not cumbersome at all either. Roll for covering distance or escaping in a tight spot, but don't over do it as it uses stamina.

Dodge at the very last moment to crate am opening for attack.

Evading in this game is all about timing. There are very specific windows for their effective use. If you don't take the time to learn them items going to feel ineffective.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Damn it...
free the tree spirit thing or not...

Unsure-Larry-David.gif

My advice here is to read whatever you can and make the decision you think and ignore what people here and elsewhere will say because that's role playing and whatever happens you need to live with your decision.

Ya dig?

Kama_1082

Banned
Have you tried combat on the second hardest? Have you tried on Story and Sword? I'm just saying maybe the combat will be better for you on one of those.
Lol, I dont know why you're trying to get me to go down on difficulty. The game being easier isn't gonna get me to like the combat anyore than where I'm playing at right now. And yes, I know how the game works, I've been at it for 30 hrs and I'm not having any problems beating enemies and bosses. I just dont like the combat, thats it.

erawsd

Of course we will, the amount of "Zelda should be more souls-like" posts I've seen already makes me dread those threads. Then when more games start using it people will get sick of it and talk about how there is a lack of ingenuity in the industry... just like whats happened with "arkham combat".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom