• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, the battle system is shit. Dodging sucks, sometimes you hit the wrong target even though I'm locked on. Good thing that this game has a great story or I wouldve shelved it.

The dodge works very well imo.
Try not to use lock on to see if it works better for you.
Don't mash buttons, wait for openings to attack, use signs, parry against enemies that allow it.

Damn, Axii has become essential to my fighting repertoire. Stunning enemies to open them up to attacks has been key in helping my destroy all manner of nasty creatures, especially werewolves...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Lock-on is basically terrible, don't use it.

I like it. Keeps the camera centered on the enemy I'm trying to kill. It might be more trouble than it's worth if you're fighting a large group, but I often use it even then. Just have to keep switching targets as appropriate.

(snip) I'm surprised at how many different battle themes there seems to be, I suppose it varies based on where you are. (snip)

Me too. I think it varies by location, and maybe by monster type too? (Different songs for monster/human enemies maybe?). Really love the variation though, as, combined w/ the different environments, it really gives individual fights quite different feels.

Damn, Axii has become essential to my fighting repertoire. Stunning enemies to open them up to attacks has been key in helping my destroy all manner of nasty creatures, especially werewolves...

Yeah. I love Axii. The first upgrade that stops enemies from moving toward you made it even better for me.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I really should have invested ability points into signs or bombs. Investing into strong style adrenaline rush points is boring. =/

Forkball

Ok, the battle system is shit. Dodging sucks, sometimes you hit the wrong target even though I'm locked on. Good thing that this game has a great story or I wouldve shelved it.

Don't lock on, except for maybe single enemy boss fights. Dodging is really useful against monsters, just try to time your dodge so you can go completely behind them. Also don't forget that you can roll out of the way. The hitboxes can be questionable, but I am loving the combat in this game.

Also, don't do the Mysterious Tracks quest at level 15, even though it will turn green. It is a level 20 quest and man, they mean it.

I love accidentally discovering places only to find some amazing rewards. I freed some guy from some bandits and it turns out he was a swordsmith. Who cares right, I already have Hattori. However, he sells the crafting recipe for the Superior Griffin Steel Sword. That was a surprise. The last dude I saved was a barber (why would you kidnap a barber?). I also accidentally found almost the entire Superior Ursine set diagrams in a random cave. Speaking of caves, I wandered into one only to find two guys hiding out. They were trying to escape a monster, and I immediately got a new witcher contract. It's great that they're not all tied to sign boards. Speaking of monsters, I've encountered several brutally tough ones that are way above my levels. I saw a cocatrice harassing sheep, a level 22 fiend guarding some chest, a gargoyle who looked easy but yet somehow has the ability to jump fifty feet in the air and throw rocks at you, a lone golem in a cave THAT WOULD NOT DIE etc. I like how enemies change their look when they get to a higher level. Drowners get fins, nekkers get these skull helmets, ghouls get ghoulier etc.

Right now I'm level 15 and rocking the entire enhanced griffin set. Looks like I'll stick with it for a while, since my other crafting recipes are several levels above. At first I didn't notice merchants leveling up with me, but some in fact do. Especially Hattori. At about level 14 he sold the blank runestone diagram and is now selling greater runes for outrageous 1000+ coin prices. YOU OWE ME A DISCOUNT.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Game will probably look a bit more aliased/sharper/grainier on foliage and textures as they've added TextureMipBias=-1 to the config.

Torraz

Are there quests that do not give xp?

Just finished a lvl 15 main quest
the one with the treasure and torture of triss
and got no xp, at least for the later steps.

Majukun

so..tried it for a moment after the patch....hairworks still sinks the fps considerably...i don't remember precisely how much i had before..by memory i can say i got maybe 3 fps more..but at the same time when talking to the herbalist and her gorgeus dark mane,fps plunged to 40..i don't think it did that last time

also geralt's hair now look more "fluffier"..don't know if that's just me since i played for so much withoutm hairwork

for people worried about gwen cards..you find them from the same guy who sells the temerian armor

SomTervo

Coming from the souls games, this is amateur at best.

There was a huge discussion about this very topic c. 100 pages ago!

Basically, this isn't an arcadey action game. It's not Souls, it's not Batman: Arkham, it's not Ass Creed.

TW3 uses ingredients from these systems (instant block/counter and instant item use of B:A/AC/SoM, quick-step dodge from Bloodborne) but instead turns it into a 'simulation' action game rather than 'arcadey'. Geralts moves take precious seconds to set up (him to build momentum), dodging and blocking is the only quick movement, 60% of whether you'll win a fight or not is if you're using the right oils/potions/bombs/signs. Positioning and gear are often more important than skill.

And Signs are basically the game-winner. Quen all day long, Yrden or Axii fast/ethereal enemies, and check the Bestiary for enemies weaknesses'.

When it starts clicking, this game's combat is the shit.

If Batman/SoM's combat is Mario Kart and Bloodborne's combat is Project Gotham Racing, The Witcher 3's is Gran Turismo.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I can't seem to find a picture of it, do you have it?

Enhanced feline

Harborside.jpg
Velen.jpg

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
a4On1S7.jpg

Just ventrued up some ruins in a mountain in Skellige. Oh man what a view. Got chased by a Cyclops lol.

Are there any shops that happen to sell monster eyes? lol

If you have of eyes from monsters you can have them dismantled into a monster eye.

Especially Hattori. At about level 14 he sold the blank runestone diagram and is now selling greater runes for outrageous 1000+ coin prices. YOU OWE ME A DISCOUNT.

Yoo, is there any combat in his quest? It's recommended for lvl 24 or something but i really wanna open him up as a vendor. I'm level 14.

Jolkien

Hmm how come I don't see patch 1.04 on gog galaxy ?
Edit: Nevermind I don't see in in galaxy but when I launched the game I'm on 1.04

Do we have any estimate on when the patch will be released for PS4 ? What's the usual time it takes ? I imagine people have noticed from other games that were released for both PC and PS4.

nbraun80

So have they ever said what the rune that all types of it, lesser and greater, adds 0 attack damage? Assumed it was a bug, but thought it mighta been patched by now.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Now that I am over 30 hours into the game I'm starting to realize what my actual biggest complaint with this game is.

It's not the combat because despite all of its faults signs are still extremely fun to use against opponents.
It isn't the movement, though it can be frustrating it hasn't screwed me over really.

What it is, is the goddamn map.

It's lacking so many features. It doesn't even tell you the name of regions within novigrad, and I don't think oxenfurt is even named on the map it's just known as "western gate" because that's the name of the fast travel point in it.

Navigating novigrad without having an active quest for the location is horrible.

Want to find the place where Triss is chillin at? Good luck. Want to find the putrid grove again to talk to the vendor there? Better retrace your steps from that tailing mission. Want to know what the red light district is? Hope you opened your map during that quest and memorized it.

Also I wish that you could see just a bit more information. For example all your quests should show up on the map, but only the one you're tracking should be a way point.

Do we have any estimate on when the patch will be released for PS4 ? What's the usual time it takes ? I imagine people have noticed from other games that were released for both PC and PS4.

A week at the minimum usually, both Sony and Microsoft have a rigorous approval process that takes a lot of time. Developers even have to pay both companies for the update too.

Kama_1082

Banned
There was a huge discussion about this very topic c. 100 pages ago!

Basically, this isn't an arcadey action game. It's not Souls, it's not Batman: Arkham, it's not Ass Creed.

TW3 uses ingredients from these systems (instant block/counter and instant item use of B:A/AC/SoM, quick-step dodge from Bloodborne) but instead turns it into a 'simulation' action game rather than 'arcadey'. Geralts moves take precious seconds to set up (him to build momentum), dodging and blocking is the only quick movement, 60% of whether you'll win a fight or not is if you're using the right oils/potions/bombs/signs. Positioning and gear are often more important than skill.

And Signs are basically the game-winner. Quen all day long, Yrden or Axii fast/ethereal enemies, and check the Bestiary for enemies weaknesses'.

When it starts clicking, this game's combat is the shit.

If Batman/SoM's combat is Mario Kart and Bloodborne's combat is Project Gotham Racing, The Witcher 3's is Gran Turismo.

Sorry, 30 hrs in and I really dislike it. No clicking here, not even a flicker.

gaf i need help, went on a gaming binge this whole weekend. i cant stop playing, i cant stop myself of picking up every note/stranger on the road quest under the heavens.

im already level 11 on march difficulty, i have like 60% left to discover of Velen (jesus this is a big map). damn it all

on a side note, i remember there is item scaling, IF i craft a level 32 sword, will all the benefits stay but the damage is gonna scale to my level? also, i can craft it again for when im level 32?

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Man, I'm having a great time with the combat in this game. Comparing it to the Souls games it absolutely silly, they are completely different types of games and combat styles. This game has its own idea of how combat should flow, and it does it well.

void666

Banned
I love the combat too.
It's a bit like dark souls without a shield. You're not suposed to get hit, so dogde a lot.
I played through witcher 2 using nothing but quen and it's boring. So i'm avoind using it this time.

I have a lot of fun fighting large groups. Attacking, dodging, using signs. It's like a dance.
Blood and broken bones difficulty by thew way. I'm considering switching to death march.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I wonder if we're going to see complaints about the combat not being as good as Bloodborne in every game thread moving forward.

Nameless

I'd been chugging along with the Disglair silver sword, but some how an Addan Deith found its way in my inventory which does +96 more damage. Easy mode unlocked for the time being...amazing weapon.

KingKong

Now that I am over 30 hours into the game I'm starting to realize what my actual biggest complaint with this game is.

It's not the combat because despite all of its faults signs are still extremely fun to use against opponents.
It isn't the movement, though it can be frustrating it hasn't screwed me over really.

What it is, is the goddamn map.

Absolutely agreed, ill add
- Needs ability to zoom out on minimap
- why doesnt it always show the found markers? I remembered where the weaponsmith was in Oxenfort but for Novigrad I guess I just have to run through the city

cheezcake

Anyone know of a way to remap controllers? I wanna put light/heavy attack on RB/RT instead of X and Y, having to keep your thumb of the right stick makes controlling the camera awkward.

ironcreed

Banned
I love the combat. *shrugs*

Same here. It has a wonderful rhythm to it as long as you take your time, quick-step and dodge. The animations look beautiful as well.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Souls series, but I am kind of getting sick of all the comparisons. This is not a Souls game and I don't want it to play like one. They have made great strides since TW2 and it has it's own feel to it that I absolutely love now.

Bloodborne is like top tier in combat, but it's scope and what it tries is so limited in compared to Witcher 3 is doing, I dont think comparisons are exactly fair. Now comparing the combat to other games of its kind, I find Witcher is better then, fallout, skyrim, or Dragons age personally, but of course I can see why people would have issues with input delay and weight. It's not for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom