• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

epmode

Man, idk..the longer I play this game the more bored I get. It's funny how they ragged on fetch quests, I feel like a lot of these quests are just fetching things with extended background details.

Virtually every RPG quest can be boiled down to fetching something for someone. The extra trappings and story stuff are important.

I found a book that basically says
the tree spirit is the mother of the crones. She went insane and the crones inprisoned her so she wouldn't destroy all of Velen

But yeah, either choice is
completely FUBAR. Do you free the spirit so she kills the crones then goes on to kill everyone? Or kill the spirit and crones eat 6 kids?

it kills the people that tried to kill her

KingKong

Virtually every RPG quest can be boiled down to fetching something for someone. The extra trappings and story stuff are important.

I think it absolutely gets worse in Novigrad, it felt like half the time I was just running from one place to another just to have a conversation or fight a handful of guys.

It was also a lot more following orders from random people compared to making decisions in Veleen.

It's semi side mission related, the griffon armor plans are in there on the roof of the castle, not the tower.

I jumped across it, there is a little ledge to the right of the bridge, if you sprint and jump you can land on the ledge and then climb over the castle wall.

Once inside I figured out this was not the intended way to do it but I'm still pleased with my method.

Haha, yeah I did the same thing XD

KingKong

On that note, I kind of wish my reputation was noticed more. It would be nice if say half way through Novigrad quests random bandits would run away from me instead of fighting

finally can take screenshots now (having to use Afterburner)

59wb.png

In what way is it the lesser of the two evils?

Kill the spirit and the crones kill the orphans and Anna loses her mind. Let the spirit free and it causes the inhabitants of the nearby village to murder each other, and Anna and the Baron end up dead. It's terrible that the orphans die, but even the village alderman in the other path tells you that the village murdered its own children in the tree spirit induced rage.

Really loving this game, it is so much better than the first two. I thought I had become bored of this fantasy setting, but this has proved me wrong. It definitely has problems, mainly the control of your character and design of the menus, plus random jank. The world is so realised though, I just get sucked in for hours. It looks incredible for a game of this scope too. Even my wife has been sitting down watching me play, she has only done this with a few games before.

JoeBoy101

Few things after a lengthy play session today:

- Goddamn, this game is good. Better than TW1 and TW2 combined, and better than most WRPGs of recent memory. Shits on the DA series from a great height and I liked DA:I.

- Despite having been playing GTAV and Skyrim w/ mods, and fearing open world fatigue, this game does the most with its open world. Putting enough in so you don't have wide open boring areas, but not so much that you can't get away by yourself or explore.

- Waypoint fast travel is the best fast travel.

- Roach is awesome.

- Just finished A Tower Full of Mice and that is also one of the best sidequests I have ever done in a game. Love the choices you are given with it and how the game rewards your exploration of the area.
That kiss.

- Mounted combat, especially horse-to-horse combat is fantastic. Remember, hold DOWN your button to strike for time to slow so you can line up your strike.

- Felt like the game looked decent with its graphics, especially close-up, but considered the wide ranging shots to be a bit weak due to the poor texturing on the distance foilage. The patch today has changed that for me. Game looks astounding now, especially using the more palette neutral SweetFX I'm running.

Neverfade

I need 4 nekker hearts. Anyone know of a good spot to farm them?

I'm going to venture a wild guess and say they drop from higher tiered nekkers. I farmed the giant group of basic nekkers below Devil's Pit for eyes and didn't get a single heart. Or maybe they're just fairly rare.

Shame, I need them as well.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Anyone have the weird hitching problem running at 60fps? Seems every second the game kinda stutters or m8sses a frame. I also have a strange screen tearing problem. Version says 1.04 so maybe the newest nvidia drivers wint cause so many crashes for me. Going to test it out, i guess.

Sifl

I've only done a few of them, but the sidequests in Skellige are some of the best in the game, imo. Novigrad was so boring, I was getting worried the game was going downhill content wise.

Just beat the game and did every witcher contract plus every sidequest I cared to do. Didn't do many question marks on maps after a certain point since I was playing on normal and already overpowered. Great fucking ride. I wouldn't have beaten it this fast if I wasn't obsessing though.

Pretty sure I got the best ending relative to the others. Honestly? This is now my favorite rpg. Amazing game.

Philtastic

It's just easier to press R1 to put away the torch. Swapping out to the menu and then switching to the white honey potion, using it, and then switching back to an actual useful potion is too slow.

Ok, the battle system is shit. Dodging sucks, sometimes you hit the wrong target even though I'm locked on. Good thing that this game has a great story or I wouldve shelved it.

Coming from the souls games, this is amateur at best.

Sorry, 30 hrs in and I really dislike it. No clicking here, not even a flicker.

I'm not saying the game is hard, I'm.saying the combat sucks. I'm playing on the hardest difficulty.

Lol, I dont know why you're trying to get me to go down on difficulty. The game being easier isn't gonna get me to like the combat anyore than where I'm playing at right now. And yes, I know how the game works, I've been at it for 30 hrs and I'm not having any problems beating enemies and bosses. I just dont like the combat, thats it.
I haven't played the Souls games nor Bloodborne because I don't have any consoles and didn't bother when they came out on PC, so admitting that what I say lacks the actual play experience, I've watched a number of videos on all of them, and the combat looks really slow. Monsters generally have large tells for their attacks and often have long recovery times which grant openings. The player moves in an arcadey fashion, however, which may make it feel a lot better than the more momentum-based Witcher 3. For that reason, I can see how someone might prefer Souls/BB since it possibly feels better to them.

That said, I really have to disagree with this being "amateur at best". Even though you've put 30 hours in and you're allegedly "not having any problems beating enemies and bosses", it sounds like you're playing in a very boring way which is probably super safe, stay back while you wait for another Quen, and only attacking when it's up. Then I could see why you think the combat sucks.

What I would like to see is a video of you in combat to see how you're playing and how it's apparently so bad to be amateur. Maybe we could help you out in terms of finding a more interesting play style because, even though I haven't gotten that far yet, I've found the combat quite exciting and seemingly much quicker and more dangerous than Souls/BB (again, based merely on impressions from videos) mostly because either there are multiple opponents or they don't have huge wind ups/downs. Here's how I've been playing early in the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IguE_LG3Rc

You can always take it slow play safe, but the monsters are too aggressive in groups, I can't count all the times when drowners basically leapfrogged off each other to keep me in a chain of dodges and rolls and did not leave me an opening until I had jumped out of their territory and they run back to their patrol spot.

I enjoy fighting wolves, nekkers, golems, ghouls, bears, normal wraiths, harpies, etc. Things that have weaknesses in their combat styles to exploit.

You need to make your own openings sometimes. You know how eg. drowners work so stop waiting for an opening and make one. Stop using Quen and use Igni/Aard to stagger the whole group which let's you basically kill or heavily maim one of them while momentarily CC'ing the rest which makes the fight easier since there's one less leaping at you.

Also, I'm seeing comments about the somewhat awkward camera. Don't use lock on unless it's 1vs1. If you're not locked on, it's pretty easy to adjust it to point the right way (unless you're indoors or in an enclosed space, in which case, I agree that it can be very frustrating). It also, whether intentionally or not, simulates a blindspot: don't get surrounded and you will never have problems with the camera. Keep all of your enemies in front of you. Positioning is actually important in this game.

In what way is it the lesser of the two evils?

I found a book that basically says
the tree spirit is the mother of the crones. She went insane and the crones inprisoned her so she wouldn't destroy all of Velen

But yeah, either choice is
completely FUBAR. Do you free the spirit so she kills the crones then goes on to kill everyone? Or kill the spirit and crones eat 6 kids?

Salaadin

I'm going to venture a wild guess and say they drop from higher tiered nekkers. I farmed the giant group of basic nekkers below Devil's Pit for eyes and didn't get a single heart. Or maybe they're just fairly rare.

Shame, I need them as well.
I think so. I just found a lone nekker warrior in a group of regular nekkers and only got a heart from the warrior

Wow, after an earlier discussion in here, I just went and messed around and realized Geralt's short dodge cancels out of his attack animations. 40 hours and I had no idea. Mind you, it won't likely change the way I play (quick measured strikes in between dodges/parries). I think that's a mark of how well they did at creating clear tells for each enemy's attack--I almost always know when it's safe to strike, and when not.

As a side note, after about ten hours in Novigrad, I'm amazed at how engaging almost every main and major side quest is. I keep waiting for a generic half-assed move-the-plot-along quest, but it hasn't come yet. Reminds me a bit of the heyday of jrpgs, when every new location, quest, and character brought new surprises and diversions. Something that's been sorely lacking in big rpgs of late.

Fjordson

Man I finished the quest for the Viper School swords, but now I'm missing an Emerald Dust. I know they drop from wraiths and I somehow spent or dropped the dust that dropped off the devil in the well Wraith. There's also supposed to be one guarding a place of power in white orchard, but I've been to it and there were only ghouls guarding it.

Are there any wraiths near the start of the second area after white orchard? Thinking about moving ahead story wise real quick just so I can get a dust and make one of these Viper swords then coming back and finishing all the white orchard side stuff.

So, how massive and sprawling do the locations feel? Can you walk into a forest and feel sort of lost?

I'm trying to think of Skyrim, but can't recall any sort of land mass that felt so sprawling and huge, at least not in the same scale as I'm imagining a game should be.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Been playing since about 9am this morning. I haven't played a game that has sucked me in this bad in a long long time. I'd venture to say this is in my top 5 games of all time. It just seems so perfectly suited to what games I like. I can get lost in gwent for hours alone, let alone doing quests. I have to get off for today. I have 35 hours in now, and I need to get some irl things done. lol

Stoze

Who can I sell Bolts to? Been forgetting about them since I never use my crossbow, but they're starting to take up decent space in my inventory.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Still finding new places and new monsters which I had no clue about. Monsters not pictured.

I don't suppose anyone has a link to download the OST?

Assuming you have the PC version due to your screenshots. You already own it, just go to your game directory and the OST should be zipped in there in both mp3 and FLAC.

Whoa, ran into someone from The Witcher 2; quest called Ghost of the Past.
Letho! Didn't expect him just like that in a random quest. It was really cool to see him. I followed along with him, but honestly the quest was kind of disappointing. I intervened in the end and the final scene was kind of silly and didn't really make sense. Also there were some really weird loading screens during one of the cutscenes in this quest. Some random out-of-nowhere loading screen every two sentences in one of cutscenes.

hlhbk

I won't spoil anything but holy shit at the weight of your decisions in the Witcher 3. I can't believe how
Red Baron
quest line just ended

Few things after a lengthy play session today:

- Goddamn, this game is good. Better than TW1 and TW2 combined, and better than most WRPGs of recent memory. Shits on the DA series from a great height and I liked DA:I.

- Despite having been playing GTAV and Skyrim w/ mods, and fearing open world fatigue, this game does the most with its open world. Putting enough in so you don't have wide open boring areas, but not so much that you can't get away by yourself or explore.

- Waypoint fast travel is the best fast travel.

- Roach is awesome.

- Just finished A Tower Full of Mice and that is also one of the best sidequests I have ever done in a game. Love the choices you are given with it and how the game rewards your exploration of the area.

- Mounted combat, especially horse-to-horse combat is fantastic. Remember, hold DOWN your button to strike for time to slow so you can line up your strike.

- Felt like the game looked decent with its graphics, especially close-up, but considered the wide ranging shots to be a bit weak due to the poor texturing on the distance foilage. The patch today has changed that for me. Game looks astounding now, especially using the more palette neutral SweetFX I'm running.

Did you finish DA:I? I felt fatigued with just about everything once I got to the stronghold chapter, and I am worried the same may happen here.

Yet I see people describe the open world and gameplay in a way that makes it never sound boring, tedious, or slowed down. I see lots of comments about GTA styled design, which is interesting to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom