• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Courage

bF59ANH.gif

Kama_1082

Banned
I haven't played the Souls games nor Bloodborne because I don't have any consoles and didn't bother when they came out on PC, so admitting that what I say lacks the actual play experience, I've watched a number of videos on all of them, and the combat looks really slow. Monsters generally have large tells for their attacks and often have long recovery times which grant openings. The player moves in an arcadey fashion, however, which may make it feel a lot better than the more momentum-based Witcher 3. For that reason, I can see how someone might prefer Souls/BB since it possibly feels better to them.

That said, I really have to disagree with this being "amateur at best". Even though you've put 30 hours in and you're allegedly "not having any problems beating enemies and bosses", it sounds like you're playing in a very boring way which is probably super safe, stay back while you wait for another Quen, and only attacking when it's up. Then I could see why you think the combat sucks.

What I would like to see is a video of you in combat to see how you're playing and how it's apparently so bad to be amateur. Maybe we could help you out in terms of finding a more interesting play style because, even though I haven't gotten that far yet, I've found the combat quite exciting and seemingly much quicker and more dangerous than Souls/BB (again, based merely on impressions from videos) mostly because either there are multiple opponents or they don't have huge wind ups/downs. Here's how I've been playing early in the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IguE_LG3Rc

You need to make your own openings sometimes. You know how eg. drowners work so stop waiting for an opening and make one. Stop using Quen and use Igni/Aard to stagger the whole group which let's you basically kill or heavily maim one of them while momentarily CC'ing the rest which makes the fight easier since there's one less leaping at you.

Also, I'm seeing comments about the somewhat awkward camera. Don't use lock on unless it's 1vs1. If you're not locked on, it's pretty easy to adjust it to point the right way (unless you're indoors or in an enclosed space, in which case, I agree that it can be very frustrating). It also, whether intentionally or not, simulates a blindspot: don't get surrounded and you will never have problems with the camera. Keep all of your enemies in front of you. Positioning is actually important in this game.

While I do play it safe (much like DS1&2), wait for an opening and attack, that's how I'm successful through the game. I never button mash, I take it slow and that's how I usually work. I also rarely ever use any magic other than "slow", so I just stick with melee and such.

As for the vids, I'm not really that interested in making videos on youtube. All I really want to do is just get through the great story and put it away for the next game on the list.

For the record, while I like my combat like the Souls games (Demon and Dark), I never compared it or wanted it to be like Bloodborne. For some reason, that combat gets lumped in when talking about "Souls" games.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
There's not very much of a stat difference between the Witcher school armors, right? Been using Griffon but I want to switch to Ursine when I get the chance.

The weights compliment different play styles & each has a specific character perk (one point each) to enhance it further

Cat = light armor, fast stamina regen, less protection, more damage for criticals and fast attacks

Bear = heavy armor, slow stamina regen, more protection, more vitality and strong attack damage

Griffin = medium armor, balanced build, bonuses to sign intensity and stamina regen (not sure if this bonus completely offsets the medium armor penalty or not)

Ark

I just now noticed that under the right weather/time of day conditions you can see the lights of Novigrad from The Hanged Mans Tree. It was a pretty good "wow" moment.

Woah really? I might have to try that for myself. I thought the draw distance for GTAV was amazing, but TW3 has absolutely blown my mind.

The weights compliment different play styles & each has a specific character perk (one point each) to enhance it further

Cat = light armor, fast stamina regen, less protection, more damage for criticals and fast attacks

Bear = heavy armor, slow stamina regen, more protection, more vitality and strong attack damage

Griffin = medium armor, balanced build, bonuses to sign intensity and stamina regen (not sure if this bonus completely offsets the medium armor penalty or not)

As somebody who ended the game with bear armor let me just say that it looks awesome and it's also ridiculous good. I was bouncing off so many attacks with little to no damage. Though admittedly I was playing on normal.

It could be that Skyrim is First Person as that's how I played it.

The comparisons to Red Dead are also very apt. Its a BIG world, but you never have to travel far to find something interesting. Fast travel at any point killed Skyrim and Oblivion. In TW3, you can fast travel among signposts at important locations, but you have to be at a signpost to do it, and have discovered the signpost as well. They aren't that numerous.

As to the point on the world variety, right now its tremendous. White Orchard, Kaer Moren, and Velen all feel like separate locations, but have variety in themselves. This game does the best swamps as they don't feel like murk fests like every other game does, but forests where the water table has risen over the land and it all blends very seamlessly.

Edit: Nvm, you edited your last comment and answered most of this. Thanks!

Thanks dude.

I'm trying very hard to not get ahead of myself. I remember a lot of positivity for Dragon Age and the Hinterlands, and how there were so many quests and things to do. It was fun, but I got fed up eventually. It was tedious, meaningless, and I felt bored with the choices and characters, really.

The quests sound particularly interesting in Witcher, and I'm just wondering if once the "new RPG world" appeal wears off, if there is going to be more to keep me playing.

I dont know how I'd describe myself as a fan. I like RPGs but never finished Skyrim or Oblivion, despite playing a good deal of Oblivion. I loved Fallout 3, and everything else for me has been JRPGs, from Souls to Golden Sun and Dark Cloud 2.

I dont know if Ill down 80 hours in a week, but I can see myself chipping away at it for a few hours a day. I also have not played the other games and cant tell from impressions here who is a fan and who is new, or who is a casual RPG fan.

Sorry for sounding so indecisive, I dont mean to distract the thread direction, but I guess this is as best as I can describe my feelings. I didn't expect the hype from people to be this great

Denton

In 2015 we get open world game that is better written than most movies/TV shows/games while looking like this and running at 60fps constantly

witcher3_2015_05_25_2e8u4k.png

witcher3_2015_05_25_27nusy.png

witcher3_2015_05_25_250u74.png

witcher3_2015_05_25_2kpus6.png

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I was a fool for using the 5% XP trophy, the 10% dismember makes the game so much more fun! Lopping off limbs left and right, and it just never gets old. I really love just going from ? to ? doing all the POIs, it's just action on stop. I can't believe this game wasn't even on my radar until 4 hours before launch, it really is one of the best games ever made.

Faenix1

It looks better than any other armor they got in the game so far...

I'm using the superior feline school armor set

I'm on the trail of the Griffin set at present. The upgraded starter gear is probably my favourite looks wise so far, hopefully one of the witcher gears looks as good.

Did you finish DA:I? I felt fatigued with just about everything once I got to the stronghold chapter, and I am worried the same may happen here.

Yet I see people describe the open world and gameplay in a way that makes it never sound boring, tedious, or slowed down. I see lots of comments about GTA styled design, which is interesting to me.

I think what Witcher 3 has in common with GTA is that both games have a richly detailed and beautifully designed open world sandbox, but also really well-written characters and meaty story missions and side missions.

You seldom feel like one is being sacrificed for the other. It's quality and quantity.

Zeus7

So I was just doing a side quest in Novigrad when my game crashed to the main menu and was stuck on the please wait screen. I have done a hard reset on my Xbox and I have lost about 8 hours of progress, all my saved games from yesterday have gone :(

Kiraly

So I was just doing a side quest in Novigrad when my game crashed to the main menu and was stuck on the please wait screen. I have done a hard reset on my Xbox and I have lost about 8 hours of progress, all my saved games from yesterday have gone :(

I would fucking cry :(

Kama_1082

Banned
Did you finish DA:I? I felt fatigued with just about everything once I got to the stronghold chapter, and I am worried the same may happen here.

Yet I see people describe the open world and gameplay in a way that makes it never sound boring, tedious, or slowed down. I see lots of comments about GTA styled design, which is interesting to me.

I don't feel the same with TW3 like I did with DA:I. I don't feel like I ever have to do any side quests in order to advance the story due to grinding. I hated that I knew I was close to finishing DAI only to have to do 5 hours of bullshit side quests to grind power.

I know the feeling bro, you think the game would actually auto-save your progress. But nope..

Tacitus_

Doesn't he basically admit to it if you let him live? I haven't done that yet, but did read a bit about it while working on the quests to determine his guilt or not.

IIRC he got plausible deniability. He might've had a hand in it, but there's no concrete proof as you discover who carried out the plot.

Moaradin

The game warns you about this in one of the tips. It autosaves when you progress a quest enough but it only then and encourages you to manually save.

It's pretty annoying playing on a gamepad though. I tried to bind F5 to my PS4 controller but the game doesn't seem to recognize it.

Question about a later side quest for a returning character
anyone else's Roche quest An Eye for An Eye bugged? I arrive to the Hanged Mans tree and the marker is there but no Roche anywhere. Am I fucked.

Nordicus

I've overlooked Yrden in Witcher 1/2 outside of when it was necessary (was it in Witcher 1? I guess, but I can't remember it). After using it a bit here I must say it is an amazing sign, much more useful than I thought.
Yeah. In 1v1 bossfights, if the boss is even somewhat slow, Yrden slows them even further down to a point where you're virtually untouchable

ViciousDS

Banned
Just got to the country side by novigrad....such beautiful scenery and a much appreciated change to the swamps and marshes of the south. This game is just amazing.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know the numerical order that all the side quests for White Orchard, Velen, Novigrad and Skellige should be done in? And if so, can you please post it?

I don't think that I can access the Dirty Funds side quest at all since I completed the Deserter Gold and Temerian Valuables quests already in White Orchard.

I wan't to do all the side quests and can see that im going to have to start over or re-load if possible in order to not miss any quests.

On a related side note...im not happy that certain quests disappear if not done in a certain specific order. It's very aggravating and frustrating.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I'm starting to think this game has TOO much content. I'm getting to the point where my quest backlog is just getting out of hand. I fear that doing everything will make me outlevel the main campaign content, thus removing all of the challenge.

Right now I'm level 8. The last campaign mission recommended level 5 and gave me 0 challenge whatsoever. I guess I should try and pace myself with side content, but... I feel like I'm missing out on interesting gear if I don't do everything.

Maybe I'll gimp myself by only using armor that looks good. Then I'll be stuck basically using the starting armor all game long :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom