• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeelPower

Yeah, you should have barely hit level 4 after completing Wild Orchard. Tracking is fine, as you can focus on one quest without getting distracted. "?" should definitely be off tho imo.

Are you playing on PC, or consoles? And what build are you planning to go with? Sword, Magic, Alchemy, Hybrid?

Playing on PS4.

About the build,I am very undecided ,but I could say that I'm going with Magic.That's what I put my points into so far.The versatility is amazing.

What about you ?

not gonna lie, this game is fucking amazing. the quest and lore, so good. just did the Fyke Island quest for Keira (sp?) and damn, craziness.

cant see anything else dethroning this as my game of the year, and maybe one of my favs of all time.

Exentryk

Playing on PS4.

About the build,I am very undecided ,but I could say that I'm going with Magic.That's what I put my points into so far.The versatility is amazing.

What about you ?

Well, I initially decided to go with Sword primary and Signs secondary, but now thinking of going more Signs primary with Sword secondary lol.

It's hard to decide until you've tested and tried things out in battle. That's why I'm not really pleased with the idea that you cannot learn all abilities. How do I know I want that ability if I haven't even used it? Since you can only slot 12 abilities, they should have let you learn everything and experiment. I might mod that later to test things.

Well, I initially decided to go with Sword primary and Signs secondary, but now thinking of going more Signs primary with Sword secondary lol.

It's hard to decide until you've tested and tried things out in battle. That's why I'm not really pleased with the idea that you cannot learn all abilities. How do I know I want that ability if I haven't even used it? Since you can only slot 12 abilities, they should have let you learn everything and experiment. I might mod that later to test things.
Well, you can always respect.

jet1911

Is the first loading screen after the intro (the one with the dude beheading a horse) supposed to be long? It's been 5 minutes already...

HeelPower

You can't go wrong with signs.

I think they're most interesting because they enable you to take on more overleveled enemies.

Good luck and happy witchering in this crazy game! XD

Drake

70hrs in, just sailed to skellige, dis game

Dear god. I played 37 hours and I thought that was a lot.

I pretty much put my entire life (except work) on hold for this game. This happens every few years for me. It happened with Skyrim, it's happening now and it'll probably happen when Cyberpunk 2077 comes out. I usually have a pretty good balance when it comes to this stuff, but if a game is THAT good it usually gets the best of me.

I'm about 8 hours into the game and the combat is just... destroying me. I almost have to do every fight 3-4 times, lots of consumables and potions to even make it work.

Anyone have tips that can help me out? Its gotten to the point where I pretty much dodge and parry so much every fight takes like 10+ mins.

Halp!

dragn

i just used a trainer to get every skill, can only use 12 anyway

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I'm about 8 hours into the game and the combat is just... destroying me. I almost have to do every fight 3-4 times, lots of consumables and potions to even make it work.

Anyone have tips that can help me out? Its gotten to the point where I pretty much dodge and parry so much every fight takes like 10+ mins.

Halp!

Are you using Quen a lot?

phierce

Halp!
Use your resources. Potions and oils make a huge difference. Read your bestiary. Use signs.

Use your resources.

Faenix1

Quen is the best sign, IMO. Saved my butt many times over.

Roach is just really bad his ai needs sorting.

Does your Roach tend to stop in the middle of the road for no reason? (Stamina is full so it can't be that)

I've started to fast travel and run on foot cause of the annoyance of the horse AI

Exentryk

Halp!

Lower the difficulty?

Before you go in to battle, put up Quen. Then, while still being outside of battle, ready another Sign (Igni or whatever). It'll charge really quick as you are outside of battle. Then rush in and take out what you can. Don't button mash. Hit once or twice with your sword and then dodge out. Observe enemy actions. Some enemies attack twice, so learn their patterns and dodge accordingly. If they are trying to surround you, you have to back out and think. Use the signs like Yrden and Axii to your advantage. Axii is great against humans. If a group is overwhelming, try to lure enemies out and pick them off one by one. Use potions like Tawny Owl (Stamina recharge for faster spell use) and Swallow (for health regen).

You can also check out some random fights in Death March difficulty in an early area while I was still learning the game. It might give you some pointers.

Maaaaaaaaaaaan the music in this game is so damn good. Riding around Ard Skellig, with only the sound of the wind and this incredible track...

it goes so far in showing just how well crafted this world is. Ard Skellig looks just damn stunning, and it's so peaceful just riding through it. The way the wind shakes the trees, everything is done to make you feel like you're a part of this beautiful world. I wish I didn't have to do life things so I could just wander around and explore that island all day.

Jarrod357

Neo Member

Halp!
I was having the same issue with the combat. I started using quen a lot to keep that extra layer of protection. Also use side step instead of roll. It giveg it gives you quicker movement that sets you up for better critical attacksattacks.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
No, I mostly use Igni and Aard.

Early on I used Quen and Igni a lot. If you focus points and get the alt Quen you can use it to heal, a lot of stuff are weak to igni so it's typically always good. If you quen before a fight starts the stamina regens super fast and it serves as a hit of armor basically.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
LOL, that's the only reason I use QUEN now. It's my archer detector

I use Quen for various reasons, but when archers involved then Quen becomes useful for them while I have to change my normal route of attack involving Quen's help into something else (attack different ways without jeopardizing my protective shield being broken so I can be protected by archers).

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Quen, Quen, Quen. I'm playing on the hardest mode (Death March?) and Quen seems about an order of magnitude better than any other spell or bomb or... anything, really.

Quen is by far the best spell in the game. the alternate is awesome, too.

Exentryk

i just used a trainer to get every skill, can only use 12 anyway

Yeah, I'll use that eventually. I don't want to do it now, coz then it'll take the thrill of learning new skills away. I want to be slowly adjusting to various new skills I unlock, and how I cope with what's available. So yeah, I'll do that at the end.

Faenix1

I was having the same issue with the combat. I started using quen a lot to keep that extra layer of protection. Also use side step instead of roll. It giveg it gives you quicker movement that sets you up for better critical attacksattacks.

How do you manage to use sidestep well?
I find I more often then not always get hit when I just sidestep. If I roll away though I can manage better. (Obviously not ideal in tight encounters)

Wow, I never use Quen. Crazy to hear so many people using it all the time. I'm on B&BB, but I usually stick with igni to try to get some burn damage over time, aard if I'm fighting a lower leveled enemy for the one hit kills, axii to cheese some higher leved enemies, and yrden for wraiths.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car

Halp!

Well, just some general stuff

It's usually a bad idea to lock onto a target if you're dealing with a group
If you spot an archer, spam roll to get to him & kill him first. Archers will ruin everything if you let them. Quen is good for them, too, but be careful you don't get too dependent on it
Do you have a good variety of blade oils? They make a big difference. Find the recipes at herbalist and alchemist shops.
Is your sword any good? After 8 hours of play your starting silver sword probably sucks ass. You want the viper sword (at least).
Dodging is almost always better than rolling unless you need to cross the field in a hurry or avoid a special attack
Practice riposte to turn dudes with shield into hamburger. Block, strong, short.
Read the beastiary
If your armor is light (or medium with Griffin School Techniques) you can just hop around indefinitely. Attacking puts you at risk, so keep moving until you can make your move on your terms

Keep your stuff repaired

I don't think I have gotten far into the yet because I try to do all secondary/treasure hunt/contract quests and question marks before doing the storyline ones.

Man this game is awesome!

Beefy

Does your Roach tend to stop in the middle of the road for no reason? (Stamina is full so it can't be that)

I've started to fast travel and run on foot cause of the annoyance of the horse AI

Yep, the hold down run and he will follow the road doesn't work either. Roach once ran into the sea and stood under water getting attacked by drowners as it grazed.

Jarrod357

Neo Member
How do you manage to use sidestep well?
I find I more often then not always get hit when I just sidestep. If I roll away though I can manage better. (Obviously not ideal in tight encounters)
I just keep my parry up and pivot to the enemies back for the critical attack. I use roll for enemies with long reach. The biggest thing I was doing wrong was not being patient. Sometimes I get clipped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom