• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

I've come across a bug I think. I completed the quest to find all parts to feline gear second upgrades. This would be the enhanced set. The problem is I still can't upgrade my trousers as it's not in my list to craft! I can see all the other enhanced upgrades to feline but not the trousers. Wtf? I completed the quest way earlier on but obviously you need all prior upgrades to craft better ones like superior and master sets.

I'm really struggling to attain money in this game – mainly for weapon repairs. Anyone know what the best strategy is for this?

Once you reach Novigrad you'll have more money than you'll even know what to do with. I've been averaging ~20 000 crowns now for a while, right now I'm close to 30 000, but at the beginning of the game money sure is scarce. I don't care what anyone else says, the single biggest source of income is without a doubt selling armors and swords that you loot. Most swords will give me 400 - 500 crowns each. Horse racing is a good start though, they give several hundreds of crowns too. Contracts pay well too.

I do not know whether I should love or hate trolls. The one near Oxenfurt always makes me happy, though.

Rock trolls? Love! Bestest characterest game has.

Flipyap

RPG Codex released their review:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9961
[...]and never shying away from showing what insanity actually is while avoiding the pitfalls of cheap shock value."
Except for the parts where
the villains decorate rooms with dozens of naked corpses, force people to mutilate themselves, eat children and torture love interests my ripping out their fingernails (which they completely brush off in time for a sex scene).
Hell, the Wild Hunt's whole schtick in this game is killing off old men for shock value.

I have plenty of things to sell ,but I have a hard time to understand what to sell ,what to dismantle and what to keep.

In general, sell equpiment (swords, armor) and furs / hides because they're comparatively heavy (keep your crafted witcher gear though, because you can upgrade these). In the junk tab, mainly keep or dismantle the stuff that gives you silver and sell the rest. Keep all the monster parts and other crafting supplies, because they only weigh 0.01 and you're going to need them later on.

Ultimately, dismantling is only really important for monster parts (when you need stuff such as powdered monster tissue) because these are the only crafting parts that you cannot buy from merchants. Just sell the rest and buy crafting supplies from merchants when you need them - soon, you're going to have more money than you can spend anyway.

What happens when you bring Ciri to Emyhr?
Just so I know during my second playthrough. I didn't do it the first time around.
Ciri talks to Emyhr. You have the option to refuse or accept payment, which has repercussions
Ending spoiler:
If you get the good ending jand Nilfgaard wins, Ciri will go to Nilfgaard as future Empress

Älg

Alright I found it but I'm on mobile so I can't link it, so apologies. His name is TrU3Ta1ent, the video is from May 26 titled Witcher 3 (Day 8) OP Build. Skip to 6:34:00 to see it happen. If you skip further ahead, after the fight
Lambert and Vesemir's bodies are being burned.

Alright, thanks man!

the villains decorate rooms with dozens of naked corpses, force people to mutilate themselves, eat children and torture love interests my ripping out their fingernails (which they completely brush off in time for a sex scene).
Hell, the Wild Hunt's whole schtick in this game is killing off old men for shock value.

Only part of that which you might consider cheap is Whoreson's room of dead girls, everything else has its rightful place. Triss getting tortured is more about trusting her and not wanting to babysit her and the ladies of the wood fit in well with a lot of European folk tales.

ramyeon

I have never felt like any of the things that happen in the game so far (Up to Skellige) were merely for shock value.
Maybe Whoreson's treatment of women, but that's about it.

Denton

Yeah, completely disagree about all of it, since none of it felt cheap or for simple shock value to me, but hey, opinions.

kriskrosbbk

In general, sell equpiment (swords, armor) and furs / hides because they're comparatively heavy (keep your crafted witcher gear though, because you can upgrade these). In the junk tab, mainly keep or dismantle the stuff that gives you silver and sell the rest. Keep all the monster parts and other crafting supplies, because they only weigh 0.01 and you're going to need them later on.

Ultimately, dismantling is only really important for monster parts (when you need stuff such as powdered monster tissue) because these are the only crafting parts that you cannot buy from merchants. Just sell the rest and buy crafting supplies from merchants when you need them - soon, you're going to have more money than you can spend anyway.

Thanks man!

Flipyap

Only part of that which you might consider cheap is Whoreson's room of dead girls, everything else has its rightful place. Triss getting tortured is more about trusting her and not wanting to babysit her and the ladies of the wood fit in well with a lot of European folk tales.
All of these examples are sudden and extreme, usually in a gory way, for increased shock value. And while appropriate, the ones related to The Ladies say nothing about "what insanity actually is," though it's not supposed to, because they're fairy tale villains.
The premise of the quest where Triss gets tortured might be about trust and endurance, but the way it's handled is definitely cheap, especially since the whole idea is dropped instantly the moment her "payback" cutscene ends - a move that becomes doubly cheap and irresponsible if you consider the character's prior history of physical trauma and how it shaped her as a person.

So I just got last night to one of those witcher missions were yo dont really know if there really good choices or are all bad in some degree.

Its the one the three bog sisters asking you to kill a spirit trapped in a tree.
So at first I decided to free the spirit (although she sounded not reall trustworthy, but becuase I knew the kids were going to get eaten).
But of course it seems this spirit is a worse choice because ive read something really bad happens if you let it free, and you really never see this three witches eating the children in the game.

So I dont know what to choose now, if you dont see the other bad thing happening in the game it may not even happen in my eyes (I even read someone is not really that implicit that is going to happen), so even if
i really want to save the kids
I probably go with the other option in the end (have two saves before that option).

What is the gaf consensus with this mission? I know this is typical in the witcher games and books (and I love them for that), but they usually showed both bad choices endings.

ramyeon

So I just got last night to one of those witcher missions were yo dont really know if there really good choices or are all bad in some degree.

Its the one the three bog sisters asking you to kill a spirit trapped in a tree.
So at first I decided to free the spirit (although she sounded not reall trustworthy, but becuase I knew the kids were going to get eaten).
But of course it seems this spirit is a worse choice because ive read something really bad happens if you let it free, and you really never see this three witches eating the children in the game.

So I dont know what to choose now, if you dont see the other bad thing happening in the game it may not even happen in my eyes (I even read someone is not really that implicit that is going to happen), so even if
I probably go with the other option in the end (have two saves before that option).

What is the gaf consensus with this mission? I know this is typical in the witcher games and books (and I love them for that), but they usually showed both bad choices endings.
There is no right choice, no good ending, for that quest. I chose to free the spirit, because the children were in danger. This led to some pretty nasty repercussions, but seems to be the more interesting route in my opinion. Not going to say more because it will spoil some later quests and revelations, but go with your gut instinct and run with it for the first playthrough I say.

There is no right choice, no good ending, for that quest. I chose to free the spirit, because the children were in danger. This led to some pretty nasty repercussions, but seems to be the more interesting route in my opinion. Not going to say more because it will spoil some later quests and revelations, but go with your gut instinct and run with it for the first playthrough I say.

Thanks!

I found that a hard choice as well. I ended up
killing
the tree, since it "spoiler for origin of the spirit"
lied about being human, and there is a book in the game titled "She Who Knows" that states the spirit is actually the Crone's mother.

Either choice has rather serious repercussions. If you save it,
the kids are saved but it destroys a nearby town, and seriously messes up a related quest.

If you kill it,
the kids are eaten, a related quest has less of a chance of messing up, and you have the dissatisfaction of helping the Crones.

ramyeon

I found that a hard choice as well. I ended up
killing
the tree, since it "spoiler for origin of the spirit"
lied about being human, and there is a book in the game titled "She Who Knows" that states the spirit is actually the Crone's mother.

Either choice has rather serious repercussions. If you save it,
the kids are saved but it destroys a nearby town, and seriously messes up a related quest.

If you kill it,
the kids are eaten, a related quest has less of a chance of messing up, and you have the dissatisfaction of helping the Crones.
Spoilers for the ramifications of Ladies of the Wood.

I disagree that it messes up the related quest. I think the ending to that quest (With Geralt freeing the spirit) was one of the most impactful things in the game so far, even if it wasn't a happy ending. In comparison the "nice" ending seems really hollow, especially since it isn't really properly resolved.

And lets be real, the Baron and his wife were in a poisonous relationship, she was cheating on him for years and he was beating her and killed the man she cheated on him with. He was an abusive alcoholic and she made a deal with the Crones to get rid of her kid and run away from him. She despised him, even their daughter despises him and wants nothing to do with him.

Even if she lives, and he takes her away to be cured I can't believe that she's going to be happy with him regardless, there's just no happy ending here.

The spirit destroys the nearby village because they are indoctrinated into worshipping the Crones, so it's cleansing the world of the Crones' influence, and then it disappears and we never hear of it again.

If you kill the spirit then that village continues worshipping the Crones for the foreseeable future, cutting off their body parts and those of their families and children in order to appease them. It's pretty messed up.

so I was toying around with downsampling to 1440p and have reverted back to 1080 for the time being and my game is now stuck with a 50fps lock

anyone know how to fix?

Alpende

I'm really struggling to attain money in this game – mainly for weapon repairs. Anyone know what the best strategy is for this?

Just keep doing quests and loot everything, I mean everything. I had a money problems early on as well, now I'm rolling in cash. Also, don't buy weapons and armor in stores.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So i killed (late spoiler, Act 2?)
2 of the Crones and the third one ran away with Vezemir medallion. I'm just curious... will I get a chance to kill her again and get the medallion back? Or was that the last time I see her?

So i killed (late spoiler, Act 2?)
2 of the Crones and the third one ran away with Vezemir medallion. I'm just curious... will I get a chance to kill her again and get the medallion back? Or was that the last time I see her?

Under certain conditions you will get the opportunity to kill her later on. However, you do not want this to happen at all costs, believe me.

CHC

So I just turned off subtitles after like 70 hours....

WHY did I not do this sooner? Somehow it makes all the voice acting feel so much more natural. Something about quickly reading the lines and waiting for them to finish felt so stilted and weird, but with the subs off, it's much more natural and the voice acting really shines.

Highly reccomend doing this if you haven't already.

TMC

Finished it last night and got this beautiful thing this morning:

CIguh56WoAMfFo8.jpg:large

Absolutely fantastic game. Enjoyed every minute of it. I didn't want it to end.

The new 'Skellige's Most Wanted' contract DLC was also pretty great. The 'Missing Miners' quest was quite a letdown so this was a nice surprise.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Holy shit, just finished.

Not sure how my ending compares to the others but this is what happened:

Ciri goes through the portal at the top of the tower in order to fight the White Frost. I thought that was the end and it'll just leave you hanging what happens next to Ciri. But then I end up going to see Emhyr and then Geralt says to him that she died. Guess that answered what happened to her. So next I travel to the now ruined Nilfgaardian fortress in White Orchard. I'm there to meet someone but they aren't there. Geralt meditates until the person arrives who is Master Ort. He brings me a sword with the word "Zireal" on it. I just assumed it was something Geralt bought to remember Ciri by. Next I head back to the Inn (where you learn Gwent). Someone is sitting down with their hood up. I see Ciri's green eyes and ashen hair! She's alive! Turns out that she decided to join up with Geralt to do Witcher's work. After a while they part ways. Ciri continues doing contracts and becomes well known. Geralt heads to Kovir and settles down with Triss doing the odd Witcher contract here and there.

I'm pretty happy with that. Although I am interested in what the other endings were. Gonna have to look them up.

If there is another Witcher game
then I hope it's with Ciri as the main character.

Scribble

I'm starting to lose interest in the game. I love the effort the developers have put into the world. I think it's the best open world game of its kind, where the world is extremely open but tries to tell stories. But recently I've starting to feel that same 'quest checklist fatigue' I experienced with Far Cry 4 with its gajillions of quests. I've just
completed the whole Family Matters questline with the Bloody Baron, and I've met Triss for the first time.
. I think I just like the *idea* of an open world game more than the actual thing and I prefer my story games focused (like Yakuza or Metal Gear Solid) and my exploration games small but dense (Metroid Prime, Souls). I think Just Cause 3 and Minecraft are my kind of open world/sandbox games because the goal is just to go crazy.

Exentryk

Just finished "In The Heart Of The Woods". What an amazing quest. I reloaded to see both outcomes. And both were interesting. In the end, I went with
killing the spirit. I wanted to get rid of the spirit but would have preferred if those guys didn't kill the elders.

EDIT - Oh, we're in community now?!

After a few weeks off from the game due to work reasons, just started up again and hit a bug.

I can't fast travel away from Skellige at all without crashing if I start the Following the Thread quest in Skellige.

Is this quest required to collect all allies?

Just finished "In The Heart Of The Woods". What an amazing quest. I reloaded to see both outcomes. And both were interesting. In the end, I went with
killing the spirit. I wanted to get rid of the spirit but would have preferred if those guys didn't kill the elders.

EDIT - Oh, we're in community now?!

Man, each to their own of course but seriously reloading to check multiple outcomes and then choosing your preferred outcome is reeeeeally the wrong way to play a game imo.

TMC

Holy shit, just finished.

Not sure how my ending compares to the others but this is what happened:

Ciri goes through the portal at the top of the tower in order to fight the White Frost. I thought that was the end and it'll just leave you hanging what happens next to Ciri. But then I end up going to see Emhyr and then Geralt says to him that she died. Guess that answered what happened to her. So next I travel to the now ruined Nilfgaardian fortress in White Orchard. I'm there to meet someone but they aren't there. Geralt meditates until the person arrives who is Master Ort. He brings me a sword with the word "Zireal" on it. I just assumed it was something Geralt bought to remember Ciri by. Next I head back to the Inn (where you learn Gwent). Someone is sitting down with their hood up. I see Ciri's green eyes and ashen hair! She's alive! Turns out that she decided to join up with Geralt to do Witcher's work. After a while they part ways. Ciri continues doing contracts and becomes well known. Geralt heads to Kovir and settles down with Triss doing the odd Witcher contract here and there.

I'm pretty happy with that. Although I am interested in what the other endings were. Gonna have to look them up.

If there is another Witcher game
then I hope it's with Ciri as the main character.

That sounds a LOT better than my ending. In my ending
Ciri dies when she goes through the portal to face the White Frost. Geralt then attempts to get Ciri's medallion back that one of the crones took from her. He eventually kills the crone and gets it back. He is sitting inside one of the cabins where he is obviously upset and overwhelmed. He left the silver sword in the crone when he killed her. The camera pans out and you see several monsters which start getting closer and closer to the cabin to ambush Geralt. Pretty sad :(

Exentryk

Man, each to their own of course but seriously reloading to check multiple outcomes and then choosing your preferred outcome is reeeeeally the wrong way to play a game imo.

The thing was, Geralt says
he'll try Harald's way first and then if it doesn't work out, he'll kill the spirit. So, I decided to do that, but it actually ended the quest and I didn't get to kill the beast. I did not want that beast to be alive and letting the murders go on. So, I reloaded and did the 2nd option, which is what I originally wanted.

This would probably be the first quest I reloaded. Not that I mind doing that, since I don't replay games.

Top Bottom