• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Good to know that this is moved into Community.

Got a question for you lot that have already completed the game.

How much do I have to do in order to complete the Main Quest when I now need to
ask my friends if they want to join me in the battle at Kaer Morhen after I located Ciri

Ark

Good to know that this is moved into Community.

Got a question for you lot that have already completed the game.

How much do I have to do in order to complete the Main Quest when I now need to
ask my friends if they want to join me in the battle at Kaer Morhen after I located Ciri

You are about 70% done.

Exentryk

Anyone know if going to location
Kaer Morhen
locks or fails any quests? I guess I can teleport out whenever, but just wanted to check before I progress the story further.

Kaer Morhen
locks or fails any quests? I guess I can teleport out whenever, but just wanted to check before I progress the story further.

Do The Last Wish and Following the Thread before starting the Ugly Baby quest. Afaik, these are the only two quests that fail when you go
toe Kaer Morhen

NekoFever

How far from the end am I if I'm in the middle of
Battle Preparations
(just got the
Sunstone
specifically)? I assume it's close but I thought that before the
Battle of Kaer Morhen
, so I give up trying to predict this game.

I want to finish off the story so I can play some Batman and wonder whether I can do it in an hour or two.

Kyaw

Kaer Morhen

From my experience, doing the Isle of Mists (The one before the Battle at Kaer Morhen) will fail the Deadly Plot questline.

Just going to the location shouldn't fail you anything.

Exentryk

Do The Last Wish and Following the Thread before starting the Ugly Baby quest. Afaik, these are the only two quests that fail when you go
toe Kaer Morhen

From my experience, doing the Isle of Mists (The one before the Battle at Kaer Morhen) will fail the Deadly Plot questline.

Just going to the location shouldn't fail you anything.

Thanks guys. I've done all of them. All the quests that I have left are level 20+, while this story quest is level 19.

Arcayne

Triss & Yen Romance spoiler question:
So I finished Triss' questline last night and chose the 3 magic words option. Got the (rather tame but funny) romance scene. Browsed through this thread and read that I can't have both Triss and Yen. My question is, can I still have romance scenes with Yen, but have to turn her down later?

Asking for my girlfriend, oddly enough.

Terra_Ex

How far from the end am I if I'm in the middle of
Battle Preparations
(just got the
Sunstone
specifically)? I assume it's close but I thought that before the
Battle of Kaer Morhen
, so I give up trying to predict this game.

I want to finish off the story so I can play some Batman and wonder whether I can do it in an hour or two.
You're right on the cusp of it, finish that quest and you will be in the endgame.

TCRS

Banned
anyone else have this bug where there is no music from street/pub musicians? kind of annoying, I want dat atmosphere.

Kazdane

Just finished my game, and quite happy with the ending:

Ciri survives the confrontation with the White Frost and goes on to become Empress of Nilfgaard. Radovid was killed. The only negative is that Geralt lives alone the rest of his life, as I wasn't sure who to pick and I was hoping at some point both Tris and Yen would confront Geralt asking him to make his mind up.

In hindsight, I think I should've gone with Triss, but since I didn't play Witcher 1 and didn't know anything about Yen, I was thinking she would be just as nice to Geralt as Triss was.

So, I installed the 1.05 version on the PS4, and the door in the crypt in the Viper quest is still bugged. Any one in the same situation ? Any idea ?

Triss & Yen Romance spoiler question:
So I finished Triss' questline last night and chose the 3 magic words option. Got the (rather tame but funny) romance scene. Browsed through this thread and read that I can't have both Triss and Yen. My question is, can I still have romance scenes with Yen, but have to turn her down later?

Asking for my girlfriend, oddly enough.

You can have happy time with Yen before commiting, Just don't say the 3 magic words during her related quest. Bad things will happen otherwise.

Arcayne

You can have happy time with Yen before commiting, Just don't say the 3 magic words during her related quest. Bad things will happen otherwise.

Yay and bummer at the same time. I've spent around 7-8 hours out of 30~hr total gametime just taking my leisure time exploring Novigrad so I kind of forgot about Yen. Haven't seen her since the first 5 hours of the game, lol. Hope I didn't make a "wrong" choice.

So, what's everyone's view on Charles Dance's voice performance as Emhyr? I was quite surprised that they went for a consistently calm, collected and matter-of-fact portrayal. I mean, even when he's visibly annoyed he does not raise his voice even one bit. It's certainly a stark contrast to the boisterous Northern Kings we've seen in The Witcher 2. I'm not sure, though, whether this was deliberate or whether this is just Charles Dance phoning it in and collecting a paycheck.

On the one hand, it makes a lot of sense. Emhyr is by far the most powerful person (politics-wise) in the Witcherverse and he probably has neither the time nor the need for theatrics and for hamming it up. I liked, for example, how they strongly toned down the initial meeting with Emhyr. Instead of the elaborate throne room scene from the trailer it's only a very brief talk in Emhyr's office where Geralt is given his orders and doesn't even get the opportunity to argue or ask any detailed questions. Seems a lot more realistic that way (Emyhr is a very busy man with a war to manage, after all).

On the other hand, I was probably expecting more of the usual "British thespian theatricality" considering the high-profile casting of the role. I was just wondering whether the toned down approach is actually in line with Emhyr's character in the novels. Can anybody who has read the books elaborate on that?

So, what's everyone's view on Charles Dance's voice performance as Emhyr? I was quite surprised that they went for a consistently calm, collected and matter-of-fact portrayal. I mean, even when he's visibly annoyed he does not raise his voice even one bit. It's certainly a stark contrast to the boisterous Northern Kings we've seen in The Witcher 2. I'm not sure, though, whether this was deliberate or whether this is just Charles Dance phoning it in and collecting a paycheck.

On the one hand, it makes a lot of sense. Emhyr is by far the most powerful person (politics-wise) in the Witcherverse and he probably has neither the time nor the need for theatrics and for hamming it up. I liked, for example, how they strongly toned down the initial meeting with Emhyr. Instead of the elaborate throne room scene from the trailer it's only a very brief talk in Emhyr's office where Geralt is given his orders and doesn't even get the opportunity to argue or ask any detailed questions. Seems a lot more realistic that way (Emyhr is a very busy man with a war to manage, after all).

On the other hand, I was probably expecting more of the usual "British thespian theatricality" considering the high-profile casting of the role. I was just wondering whether the toned down approach is actually in line with Emhyr's character in the novels. Can anybody who has read the books elaborate on that?

I thought it made sense, considering that his throne is crumbling and he is pretty much pinning all his hopes on Geralt, despite not showing it. He has to remain authoritative and yet calm so as not to give any credence to the rumors of a brewing coup.

Granted they could have used Charles Dance for a more active role.

CHC

Uuuuughhhhhh I was ONE punch away from beating the
Vildkaarl in Kaer Trolde
when the sword bet was on the line. Fuuuuck just had to give away my sword.... Really hurts.

I know I could have paid money instead but I'm a man of my word. If I bet my sword I pay with my sword.

Denton

To me he was perfect. Emhyr is the most powerful guy in the known world, he was always very collected and authoritative without any theatrics.
I was actually a bit afraid that Charles Dance would sound a bit too old as well, since Emhyr is only around 45-50, but even there I was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed every scene he was in and only wish there were more scenes with him.
I liked the one where he elaborates on what is going on and "you cannot expect me to pity you the difficulty of your task."
Sogood.gif

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is Final Preparations
the last quests before the final battle? Should I focus on doing all sidequests before doing each of my friends/allies quests?

Is Final Preparations
the last quests before the final battle? Should I focus on doing all sidequests before doing each of my friends/allies quests?

No. You still probably should if you want to complete them before the end but you can leave most of them and do them after the main quest if you want.

NekoFever

You're right on the cusp of it, finish that quest and you will be in the endgame.
Thanks, I went ahead and finished it. Only took an hour or so.

I was quite happy with my ending.
Ciri survived and became a witcher. Geralt and Yen are together. Temeria is free.

Uuuuughhhhhh I was ONE punch away from beating the
Vildkaarl in Kaer Trolde
when the sword bet was on the line. Fuuuuck just had to give away my sword.... Really hurts.

I know I could have paid money instead but I'm a man of my word. If I bet my sword I pay with my sword.

These are the only times when I reload an earlier save file. I never lose fistfights though, not since I realized that using counter-attacks make you invincible in them. Only time a fistfight is tough are in those rare moments when you face multiple opponents at once.

RDreamer

It seemed pretty in line with how he's portrayed in the novels. Soft spoken but carrying a big fucking stick. Punishments for betraying the empire were harsh, so he never really needed to raise his voice.

Leonsito

Started the game yesterday for the first time, as I finished building and tuning my new PC.

Wow @ the first time you see the Velen map. After Witcher 1 and 2, seeing that map and them zoom out, and then scrolling... and scrolling... O_O

Exentryk

My gaming sessions are like 80% of wasteful roaming, and 20% progression. But I don't care as I'm enjoying every minute of it :D

1435432355-w3-gif.gif

Dawg

Will they ever add the Zoltan Gwent card to the innkeeper/shopkeeper?

I still think it's shitty they attached it to an NPC that crashed most people's game at launch. And then make it missable.

I think its perfect for the character depiction from the books. The best way to explain it is that Emhyr doesn't need to raise his voice, he is the most powerful man in the Northern Kingdoms. Just that (lol). I was very happy when they announced Charles Dance as the voice actor from Emhyr, and I think he nailed it.

Will they ever add the Zoltan Gwent card to the innkeeper/shopkeeper?

I still think it's shitty they attached it to an NPC that crashed most people's game at launch. And then make it missable.

It didn't crash it every time. I just played him a second time and got it then. But yeah, I'd assume they'll make it obtainable through other means as well.

Dawg

It didn't crash it every time. I just played him a second time and got it then. But yeah, I'd assume they'll make it obtainable through other means as well.

I see. He was bugged for my game. Decided I would leave him for later and continue. But then it turned out he's missable.

And I have ALL Gwent cards except Zoltan ;__;

I think its perfect for the character depiction from the books. The best way to explain it is that Emhyr doesn't need to raise his voice, he is the most powerful man in the Northern Kingdoms. Just that (lol). I was very happy when they announced Charles Dance as the voice actor from Emhyr, and I think he nailed it.

Thanks, that makes sense. I really like how this game so often manages to avoid the clichéd approach with its characters. I simply cannot remember another game where I've met so many characters that, in some way or other, managed to defy my initial expectations and/or impressions. Furthermore, what is even more impressive is that this non-clichéd approach to characterisation isn't just in the game because the developers wanted to avoid boring tropes, but that it usually makes a lot of sense from a world building standpoint too. Emhyr is a very good example: He's really not the typical emperor type, but his demeanour is still (or even more so) in line with the overall logic of the setting / world.

I guess this is why
Dijkstra's out of character moment towards the end is so disappointing.
When a game manages to set and stick to such high standards, it's all the more jarring when it suddenly plummets into Bioware / Bethesda territory.

rififi

Watching that Charles Dance behind-the-scenes got me wondering why they took out the cutscenes of Emhyr sitting on the throne - he just sits in his room all the time while nothing ever really happens in the throne room.

CoolOff

So, regarding the end of White Orchard + Priscilla.

I assumed I had a choice in whether or not I kill people at the inn, because I had forgotten about this last scene where they beat up the inn-keep.

BITCH WHY ARE YOU IN NOVIGRAD RUINING THE PERFECT MOMENT THAT IS PRISCILLA'S SONG IF ALL I DID WAS DEFEND YOU?

Watching that Charles Dance behind-the-scenes got me wondering why they took out the cutscenes of Emhyr sitting on the throne - he just sits in his room all the time while nothing ever really happens in the throne room.

As we've discussed above: Although it looks cool / impressive, it wouldn't really make a lot of sense. As the ruler of the by far largest political entity of the world in the middle of a war, Emhyr is a very busy man and doesn't really have to time to needlessly parade on his throne. Furthermore, Geralt neither deserves nor needs a ceremonial audience; a brief five minute talk in his office is enough and probably all the time Emhyr is able to spend anyway.

I really like how they handled that entire scene. After all that bathing, shaving, dressing up and practicing the proper way of bowing, one is bound to be a bit disappointed when the emperor turns out to be just some guy in his late 40s working behind a desk. But when you think about it, it really makes a lot of sense that way.

Beaulieu

yo this game really loses its charm when you are overlevelled for main quests
I havent done that much side content and Im already 4 lvls above main quests.

playing on Broken bones difficulty, game was awesome at the start but now its way to easy.

doesnt help that main quest is boring as fuck, feels likes ive been spending the last 10 hours in novigrad running from point to point

first 20 hours of the game were some of the best videogaming ive done and game was a solid lock for goty but now its just tedious as fuck :(

no challenge in gwent anymore also fucking sucks.

playing on Broken bones difficulty, game was awesome at the start but now its way to easy.

doesnt help that main quest is boring as fuck, feels likes ive been spending the last 10 hours in novigrad running from point to point

first 20 hours of the game were some of the best videogaming ive done and game was a solid lock for goty but now its just tedious as fuck :(

Don't worry, the story starts picking back up in Skellige, and gets really good once you hit Act 2. In regards to Gwent, theres some really difficult inkeepers in Skellige as well.

Beaulieu

Don't worry, the story starts picking back up in Skellige, and gets really good once you hit Act 2. In regards to Gwent, theres some really difficult inkeepers in Skellige as well.

good to know, i guess ill go in skellige right now and just stop doing novigrads mains quests. tho im sure ill need to come back and do them later in the story ?

good to know, i guess ill go in skellige right now and just stop doing novigrads mains quests. tho im sure ill need to come back and do them later in the story ?

Yeah, you do get overleveled quickly, however you can and should at least increase the difficulty to death march now; give you some more challenge.

Renae

Hello,
I'm level 27 and I have to go to the Isle of Mist. However I still have level 30 quests so I would like to know if I will be able to complete these quests after the end ?

Hello,
I'm level 27 and I have to go to the Isle of Mist. However I still have level 30 quests so I would like to know if I will be able to complete these quests after the end ?

Yes they will still be available. Only side quests related to main characters like Triss or Yen will dissapear. Also if you haven't found "returning character spoiler"
Letho, his quest will also dissapear.
Witcher contracts, and regular side quests will remain.

Arjen

Hello,

Yes you can, as long as they're not tied to main characters.

Top Bottom