• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

The music in Skellige is so amazing I can't even handle it. Some of the best music, third only to (imo) the Gwent music and the combat music in Crookbag Bog (and other parts of Velen).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RVcQ_8KKd0

It took me a while to go to An Skellig because I had so many other things to do, but I was quite blown away by it when I arrived; the music and atmosphere is great.

ramyeon

The music in Skellige is so amazing I can't even handle it. Some of the best music, third only to (imo) the Gwent music and the combat music in Crookbag Bog (and other parts of Velen).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RVcQ_8KKd0

It took me a while to go to An Skellig because I had so many other things to do, but I was quite blown away by it when I arrived; the music and atmosphere is great.
The music in Skellige is definitely my favourite so far. That track that starts at around 24:00 into that video is so great, feels so epic when that plays while I'm climbing around the snowcapped mountaintops.

Exentryk

I'm pretty fucking annoyed at how shit this Black Pearl quest has ended up. This is meant to be a good quest? What an anticlimax.

ELTExGs.jpg

Did you read my spoiler above? Had to retry 20+ times and go
swim all the way to the other island to the south so I could run back to the beach quickly enough to stop the drowners killing him. What a fucking hassle. No idea why it was so hard in my game. If I tried to swim he died EVERY time before I got out of the water >_<

Through googling I realised that's not the actual way to end the quest thankfully, otherwise I would have no idea what everyone was on about.

Although now I've read the twist so that's annoying :(

d3vnull

This game...
Finished it for the 2nd time with almost 250 hours of playtime, every quest and contract done. Still don't want it to end... Should I start my 3rd playthrough or just wait for the addon or NG+?

I know! I'll keep exploring the world. Must be some stuff I missed.

I'm pretty mad about this, I didn't save before I started and now I've failed the quest.

Yeah I have no idea why it was so fucked up for me too. I assume a bug with the latest patch?
I just kept reloading the checkpoint in the water. Swam to the southern island, ran over and he was alert enough to not die before I got there on the 2nd try of that attempt (out of 20+ overall attempts o_O )

Staf

I'm pretty fucking annoyed at how shit this Black Pearl quest has ended up. This is meant to be a good quest? What an anticlimax.

Hmm, i really liked that quest. It's a quest that starts out as a simple fetch quest
and turns into a story about a man who wants to show off to his love. And it turns out his wife has dementia and he was trying to get the Black Pearl to get her to remember him
. Powerful stuff in my opinion.

Violater

Yeah I have no idea why it was so fucked up for me too. I assume a bug with the latest patch?
I just kept reloading the checkpoint in the water. Swam to the southern island, ran over and he was alert enough to not die before I got there on the 2nd try of that attempt (out of 20+ overall attempts o_O )

Managed to find an autosave and coated my blade, ran up to him in the nick of time.
Man that's tough on the poor guy, but this was the hardest I've worked for 10 crowns lol

CHC

Well I gotta say after completing it, the revisit to K
aer Morehn
is definitely my favorite part of the game. Amazing pacing, I really like the smaller zone and narrowed focus, not to mention getting to know my fellow witchers a little better. Just a great section of the game really, and a brilliant way to break up the immense open world.

spekkeh

Banned
As a Dutchman I'm amazed how many Dutch names there are in this game. I thought it would be primarily Slavic stories.

So as someone relatively new to the Witcher (couldn't gel with two). Are their real world counterparts of the kingdoms? I had to giggle a bit that the Polish developer made the world conquering Nilfgaardians speak German. Skellige seems clearly Scandinavian. Redania is sort of British? Or a mix of England, Netherlands and some Poland? Temeria?

Yeef

Argh. So im up to the
final preparations
quest and i have to Triss's quest which is Blindingly obvious,
i have to go to the bathhouse with her, but she wont leave her hideout! is this bug known?
Same thing happened to me, because I did the
Statuette
quests there. If you just go to the
bathhouse she'll just appear there
and the quest will start.

Älg

As a Dutchman I'm amazed how many Dutch names there are in this game. I thought it would be primarily Slavic stories.

So as someone relatively new to the Witcher (couldn't gel with two). Are their real world counterparts of the kingdoms? I had to giggle a bit that the Polish developer made the world conquering Nilfgaardians speak German. Skellige seems clearly Scandinavian. Redania is sort of British? Or a mix of England, Netherlands and some Poland? Temeria?

What, where did you get that from?

Skellige if definitely Scandinavian. In fact, most of the incantation that the guy yells during Practicum in Advanced Alchemy is straight up Swedish.

Radec

Those who finished the game:

-What's your level after finishing the main quests?
-Where to level up after completing the main quests?

I'm seeing level 40+ weapons and armors and looks like it'll be hard to level up fast after finishing the main quests.

unless you do the path of warriors glitch

spekkeh

Banned
Well one of the black ones in the fort where you got the Griffin contract shouted Scheisse. But overall they have a Dzyerman akshent, not a Flemish one?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Those who finished the game:

-What's your level after finishing the main quests?
-Where to level up after completing the main quests?

I'm seeing level 40+ weapons and armors and looks like it'll be hard to level up fast after finishing the main quests.

unless you do the path of warriors glitch

I'm assuming those weapons and armors are there for when the expansion pass release... I have a time believing it's possible to get higher than lvl 35-37 in the current game unless you're somehow able to optimize your XP gain by perfectly balancing your main quests, secondary quests and contracts in a way that you'll never get gray quests(which i suppose is impossible).

JackHerer

So last I posted here I was on the
Final Preparations
quest near the end of the main storyline.... I'm still there ha. I've been putting off finishing the main quest until I have done all my remaining side quests and felt like I've fully explored the world. I still have about five witcher contracts and quite a few questions marks in Skellige and a few more in Velen. I spent about 5 hours last night just clearing out ?s while searching for this one epic-looking red Fiend (yum Hairworks) I remember running into at a low level a while ago that I had to run away from somewhere in Velen/Novigrad area. I'm going back for revenge.

130 hours in and still amazed by this game at times. I really hope they go crazy with the DLC and add in a lot of new witcher contracts and monsters. I also can't wait to see the new area they create.

Speaking of which, it's probably just me but whenever someone says "vodka" it sounds so out of place. Same kind of goes for Dijkstra's name.

Älg;170163764 said:
What, where did you get that from?

Skellige if definitely Scandinavian. In fact, most of the incantation that the guy yells during Practicum in Advanced Alchemy is straight up Swedish.

I'm Swedish and have no idea what you're talking about, lol. Everything that isn't English just sounds like jibberish, and very, very few of the names are Swedish too; most of them are fictional or non-Scandinavian though a bunch of them are certainly old Norwegian-Swedish names.

Älg

I'm Swedish and have no idea what you're talking about, lol. Everything that isn't English just sounds like jibberish, and very, very few of the names are Swedish too; most of them are fictional or non-Scandinavian though a bunch of them are certainly old Norwegian-Swedish names.

During the quest Practicum in Advanced Alchemy Fritjof says "Blöta himmel, blöta mylla, braka och blixtar". If that isn't Swedish you might as well go ahead an deport me to Denmark. Other than that there is no Swedish (Or other Scandinavian language) in the game, but Skellige is obviously just Scandinavia inspired in general. What with all the snow, mountains, and vikings and stuff.

There's also a village literally called Lofoten.

Arjen

Yeah surprised me as well. Still grates me how they pronounce Dijkstra though. But I guess the correct way is to hard for English speakers.

Wabba

I need some serious help. Played for 3-4 hours, and i am trying to fight
the botcheling, the little baby monster
, and i have died like 15 times. I even play at the easiest difficulty. I have no problems with Bloodborne, but this fight is impossible. Does anybody have any hint?

Älg;170168855 said:
Probably an easy thing to miss. There's quite a lot going on when he says it.

Here's a video: https://youtu.be/4_VsTKij5Cg?t=9m

Oh yeah, look at that. Hmm, that's interesting.

I need some serious help. Played for 3-4 hours, and i am trying to fight
the botcheling, the little baby monster
, and i have died like 15 times. I even play at the easiest difficulty. I have no problems with Bloodborne, but this fight is impossible. Does anybody have any hint?

Don't fight the
botchling
, you monster. I haven't heard anyone who's done it so I haven't a clue, but Axii is sure to be super effective against it.

spekkeh

Banned
Yeah surprised me as well. Still grates me how they pronounce Dijkstra though. But I guess the correct way is to hard for English speakers.
At least they got De Jonkheer right, which would've been an easy mess up, so they did have some help with it.

Wabba

Don't fight the botchling, you monster. I haven't heard anyone who's done it so I haven't a clue, but Axii is sure to be super effective against it.

How can i not fight the botchling? I have tried to use Axii but i dont understand what it improves. The monster just stands there and as soon as i attack it comes back to life and hit me.

How can i not fight the botchling? I have tried to use Axii but i dont understand what it improves. The monster just stands there and as soon as i attack it comes back to life and hit me.

Dude, haven't you been following the story-line at all? Iirc, the game made it really clear that you had two choices. Once you initiate the battle however, I do not believe there is a way out of it. Check the bestiary for more information, all I remember is that Axii is supposed to work really well. If not, maybe try to use Quen and dodge its attacks, just like any other monster (I have no ideas what attacks the botchling does though).

Wabba

Dude, haven't you been following the story-line at all? Iirc, the game made it really clear that you had two choices. Once you initiate the battle however, I do not believe there is a way out of it. Check the bestiary for more information, all I remember is that Axii is supposed to work really well. If not, maybe try to use Quen and dodge its attacks, just like any other monster (I have no ideas what attacks the botchling does though).

Yeah, i know that there are two different options. Kill the monster or turn him into a lubberkin. I choose the last, but later he turns into a monster, so i have to kill him either way. Thanks for feedback!

JackHerer

Yeah, i know that there are two different options. Kill the monster or turn him into a lubberkin. I choose the last, but later he turns into a monster, so i have to kill him either way. Thanks for feedback!

I don't know what you did wrong but you definitely do NOT have to
fight the botchling
. Are you using Axii to calm him when he freaks out while the Baron carries him?

I just finished the game and I'm happy with the ending I got. The world state is a little fucked but Geralt story had a satisfying ending. I'm a little disappointed in the post game. I had hoped it would have continued in a more seamless way based on the ending you got but I know that was asking a whole lot for something few people would care about. Absolutely incredible game. I played for 124 hours and there was still a ton of missions and contracts I did not touch.

Alpende

I don't know what you did wrong but you definitely do NOT have to
fight the botchling
. Are you using Axii to calm him when he freaks out while the Baron carries him?

I think this is what happened. Someone I know also chose to fight and said it was hard as hell.

PFD

I just finished the game and I'm happy with the ending I got. The world state is a little fucked but Geralt story had a satisfying ending. I'm a little disappointed in the post game. I had hoped it would have continued in a more seamless way based on the ending you got but I know that was asking a whole lot for something few people would care about. Absolutely incredible game. I played for 124 hours and there was still a ton of missions and contracts I did not touch.

Now you can join the rest of us in waiting for the expansions

resizedpfjmt.jpg

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Where is that vampire quest we saw in one of the trailers where he asked Geralt what year it was and told him to fuck off? I'm almost done with the game, and haven't found this guy yet.

Where is that vampire quest we saw in one of the trailers where he asked Geralt what year it was and told him to fuck off? I'm almost done with the game, and haven't found this guy yet.

Missed it as well. Apparently, it's a minor quest that you get somewhere in the Novigrad sewers.

CHC

Are there other quest lines that have a brief animated cutscene ending like B
loody Baron
did? It felt kind of weirdly out of place and I just finished the part where you return to K
aer Morehn
and still have yet to see another similar scene.

Are there other quest lines that have a brief animated cutscene ending like B
loody Baron
did? It felt kind of weirdly out of place and I just finished the part where you return to K
aer Morehn
and still have yet to see another similar scene.

There are a handful of them.

Jamaro85

Yeah I think I got lucky with Black Pearl on my first try by getting distracted by a large area creature with its shell sticking out of the water. I swam towards it after obtaining the black pearl, then saw a life bar pop up as the creature submerged. As I swam back the drowners did not appear until I was almost ashore.

I'm in Act 3 (I think - Final Preparations) and I can't get the Nobleman or Soldiet Statuette quests to initiate.
Tris is just sitting in her room at the Chameleon, and when I talk to her I just get the old dialog options about how she feels, Menge, her hand, etc. Having either quest active doesn't help either.
What am I doing wrong?

Missed it as well. Apparently, it's a minor quest that you get somewhere in the Novigrad sewers.
Yep, it's activated just by walking into a room. I stumbled upon it by chance:
From the Novigrad hospital, I headed to the wall on the Eastern side of the city and came across a turret along the wall you could enter, and from there I got down to the sewers. The room with that quest was nearby.
It's a very short quest.

I'm in Act 3 (I think - Final Preparations) and I can't get the Nobleman or Soldiet Statuette quests to initiate.
Tris is just sitting in her room at the Chameleon, and when I talk to her I just get the old dialog options about how she feels, Menge, her hand, etc. Having either quest active doesn't help either.
What am I doing wrong?
Still have to do part of Final Preparations first.

mitchman

Gold Member

Lofoten and Larvik are places in Norway. I see lots of other references and names close to current cities in Norway such as "Trottheim" (or what's the name), a reference to Trondheim. So yes, Skellige is very viking/norse.

Lofoten and Larvik are places in Norway. I see lots of other references and names close to current cities in Norway such as "Trottheim" (or what's the name), a reference to Trondheim. So yes, Skellige is very viking/norse.

?

I think you've misunderstood me. I never claimed that Skellige wasn't inspired by Scandivia or the vikings!

Top Bottom