• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

nib95

Banned
If I increase my difficulty from Broken Bones to Death March, will I still get at least the Broken Bones completion trophy? Don't want to change it unless I will.

Coreda

Looks like there's an emoticons contest over on the Witcher forums. Wonder what faces users will come up with.

After the contest ends we will pick five participants and award each with Limited Edition of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Soundtrack and a poster from the game signed by the creators. Awarded sets will become regular emoticons for use on our forums by everyone!

Hbm2T7B.jpg

MaddenNFL64

Ok, so I have yet to unlock the doppler decoction because dopplers are so fucking nice I dont wanna kill em. But my game OCD begs for one to die, so are there any evil doppers in the game, or just the doppler in novigrad, and the one in skellige?

LordofPwn

So my non manual saves are corrupting and the application wouldn't close... Is it safe to say I'll need to re-install the witcher on my PS4?

DToneli

Neo Member
I have just beated the game and OMFG WHAT A RIDE
In my ending, Ciri went on to try to defeat the White Frost,, and the next scene is Geralt telling Emhyr that Ciri was dead , I was in a completely state of shock, and then, Geralt receives a nice sword from a blacksmith, and after that he goes to a tavern, and who is there CIRI, I lost it there, MAN THOSE NINJAS CUTTING ONIONS RIGHT UNDER MY EYES
DAMN worth every penny of my money, looking forward for my 2nd playtrough this time on DM.

Will be so hard to beat that as GOTY

Dragons in the Witcher-verse are shapeshifters. Most can only take on one human and one dragon form, iirc, but if I'm not mistaken golden dragons can actually take on a lot more shapes.

It's implied that the dragon in The Witcher 2 was the offspring of a golden dragon.

Fun fact, in case anybody doesn't know.

If you play Qwent, the dragon Villentretenmerth is
Saskia's
father in TW2.

ramyeon

End of Act 1 spoilers.

Went to the Isle of Mist, got back Ciri, finished up with the battle of Kaer Morhen.

Isle of Mist was super anticlimactic. It felt really odd how the game immediately put you into a fetch quest to go find the sailors when you arrived there... not to mention having to babysit the narcoleptic one back to the hut. Weird choice... I guess they had to have Geralt lose his boat somehow?

Battle of Kaer Morhen was great, especially since I had everyone enlisted helping me out. I wonder if things change much if you don't? For example Keira saves Lambert at one point but what if she's not there?

Super sad to see Vesemir go, although it was spoiled for me beforehand. I wanted to see more of him, so it really is a shame.

boskee

Isle of Mist was super anticlimactic. It felt really odd how the game immediately put you into a fetch quest to go find the sailors when you arrived there... not to mention having to babysit the narcoleptic one back to the hut. Weird choice... I guess they had to have Geralt lose his boat somehow?

I guess they just really wanted to implement that
Seven Dwarfs and Snow White
quest.

End of Act 1 spoilers.

Went to the Isle of Mist, got back Ciri, finished up with the battle of Kaer Morhen.

Battle of Kaer Morhen was great, especially since I had everyone enlisted helping me out. I wonder if things change much if you don't? For example Keira saves Lambert at one point but what if she's not there?

Super sad to see Vesemir go, although it was spoiled for me beforehand. I wanted to see more of him, so it really is a shame.

Snow White quest is awesome. Wutchu talkin 'bout m8?

I guess it just seemed anti climactic considering the whole game had been building up to that point.

I actually almost thought that they were all spirits or something, but then they just hijacked my boat and left.
Anti-climactic?
You didn't get hit right in the feels when Geralt opens that door and there's that long shot of the light falling on Ciri's lifeless body, and it's clear that she's dead?
I don't think crowds could come any tougher! That was one of the emotional highlights of the game for me.

ramyeon

Anti-climactic?
You didn't get hit right in the feels when Geralt opens that door and there's that long shot of the light falling on Ciri's lifeless body, and it's clear that she's dead?
I don't think crowds could come any tougher! That was one of the emotional highlights of the game for me.
That part was great - the quest before it, not so much.

I was just musing and nitpicking a bit, I've literally had nothing to say but praise for this game in this thread since I picked it up :p

That part was great - the quest before it, not so much.
Yeah it was kind of strange in hindsight, I guess I just didn't really separate it from the payoff.

Speaking of that part of the game, is there any interesting stuff to see at that location? I'm kicking myself for not exploring while I had the chance, I just rushed through the quest objectives.

Finally 100%'d the game. All achievements, empty quest log. Just in time too; after 160 hours I'm finally burnt out. Really enjoyed it though, 9/10. Looking forward to the expansions.

krioto

I'm a bit annoyed with the ending I got for this quest:
Cave of Dreams

When I first met the guy I was supposed to help, I selected the option of
payment, as I respected the guys pride and didn't want to tell him that his dad sent me to baby-sit

Then I get an ending where he basically tells me to take my coin and piss off.

Haunted

Heh, did anyone else catch the snow white & seven dwarves reference? Haven't seen it mentioned once in this thread! It's in a main quest.
haha yeah, I love it when such fairy tale settings are confronted with the practical logic that dominates a lot of the Witcher society.

I mean, the Disney film is one thing, but what do you think would actually happen when a beautiful woman lives together in an arrangement with seven virile men. :lol

Haunted

I'm a bit annoyed with the ending I got for this quest:
Cave of Dreams

When I first met the guy I was supposed to help, I selected the option of
payment, as I respected the guys pride and didn't want to tell him that his dad sent me to baby-sit

Then I get an ending where he basically tells me to take my coin and piss off.
Just because you're nice to someone doesn't mean they would be nice to you back.

You yourself limited the interaction to be a simple business transaction and then you complain there's no love? :p

Also, all of the Lugos' are pretty much unhappy, antagonistic dicks.

emag

Re: Snow White and snow ending discussion. It's like no one's ever read a book or watched a movie before. In a way, I am jealous of your child-like naïveté. To a jaded old coot like me, everything's trope, trope, trope all the way through.

End of Act 1 spoilers.

Someone else mentioned the greatness of snow white (but each to their own of course!), but in regards to the battle, I too had all the crew there so I'm not entirely sure, but I heard somewhere else that the battle ends the exact same way, so I'd assume someone else saves Lambert instead. Could be wrong though, but it seems like they made all the optional characters just do little things that someone else would've done instead.

Anti-climactic?

Dead or not, it was obvious that if she was indeed dead, then she would've been revived. Her being dead there and then; now that would've been anticlimactic. The whole story-build up and the brothers in arms quest wouldn't have made any sense, so therefor it was really obvious that she would live. Even still, I agree that the scene was emotional. Seeing Geralts reaction and then having a chat with her; it was well executed. Good decision by the developers going with a silent cut-scene; no way the voice actor of Geralt could've done that scene justice, lol.

Just beat the game. What an awesome game. I have to say how happy I am that Geralt got a happy ending..not only that it felt well deserved as well. I wonder if the Witcher games will continue with Ciri as the main lead now.

I'm loving the game so far but all the random foliage I can loot is driving me insane. Please tell me there are no gather-exclusive alchemy items, and that I can buy them all?

I'm loving the game so far but all the random foliage I can loot is driving me insane. Please tell me there are no gather-exclusive alchemy items, and that I can buy them all?

Pretty sure you can buy it all, or at least most of it. If you're asking weather or not you need to loot every time you see a plant: no.

ramyeon

Someone else mentioned the greatness of snow white (but each to their own of course!), but in regards to the battle, I too had all the crew there so I'm not entirely sure, but I heard somewhere else that the battle ends the exact same way, so I'd assume someone else saves Lambert instead. Could be wrong though, but it seems like they made all the optional characters just do little things that someone else would've done instead.

Dead or not, it was obvious that if she was indeed dead, then she would've been revived. Her being dead there and then; now that would've been anticlimactic. The whole story-build up and the brothers in arms quest wouldn't have made any sense, so therefor it was really obvious that she would live. Even still, I agree that the scene was emotional. Seeing Geralts reaction and then having a chat with her; it was well executed. Good decision by the developers going with a silent cut-scene; no way the voice actor of Geralt could've done that scene justice, lol.
Figured as much re:
Battle of Kaer Mohren. It would have been nice to have those optional characters affect the battle in a more drastic way, but I suppose that would be a bit of a nightmare to do logistically.

To clarify what I meant with my criticisms of the Snow White & the Seven Dwarves inspired quest, I think the idea was great - and the cutscenes afterwards were done really well. But I just can't see how anyone could argue that the quest itself was good?
It's literally just running to different points of the island to find the missing dwarves and then babysitting one back to the hut as he randomly falls asleep along the way. It just wasn't fun, and I guess I was expecting something a bit more involved for such an interesting location.

Figured as much re:
Battle of Kaer Mohren. It would have been nice to have those optional characters affect the battle in a more drastic way, but I suppose that would be a bit of a nightmare to do logistically.

To clarify what I meant with my criticisms of the Snow White & the Seven Dwarves inspired quest, I think the idea was great - and the cutscenes afterwards were done really well. But I just can't see how anyone could argue that the quest itself was good?
It's literally just running to different points of the island to find the missing dwarves and then babysitting one back to the hut as he randomly falls asleep along the way. It just wasn't fun, and I guess I was expecting something a bit more involved for such an interesting location.

Yeah, I totally get your critique and it's a fair point, definitely. I agree, but it didn't bother me quite as much.

emag

For all my griping about the lame combat and filler quests, the true evil in the game is the loot system. There's just so much trash loot, and even important, unique items are often found in generic barrels and creates and sacks.

That said, I don't know if there's any gather-exclusive crafting/alchemy materials found outside of corpses and quest-areas. I don't think there's anything exclusive to be found in arbitrary villager huts or in otherwise uninteresting wilderness.

For all my griping about the lame combat and filler quests, the true evil in the game is the loot system. There's just so much trash loot, and even important, unique items are often found in generic barrels and creates and sacks.

That said, I don't know if there's any gather-exclusive crafting/alchemy materials found outside of corpses and quest-areas. I don't think there's anything exclusive to be found in arbitrary villager huts or in otherwise uninteresting wilderness.

It's a bit poorly designed indeed, but the "true evil" of the game kind of sounds like hyperbole. I've stopped looting random trash completely. I only loot such things when it's a chest or when I'm in a place where there could be something very interesting inside. Even stopped looting weak monsters and random bandits too.

ramyeon

Also, can't believe I forgot to mention it but
The drunken night in Kaer Morhen was amazing. The Witcher guys putting on Yen's clothes in order to try and get some of the Sorceresses of the Lodge to come and join their sausage fest was hilarious.

CoolOff

Also, can't believe I forgot to mention it but
The drunken night in Kaer Morhen was amazing. The Witcher guys putting on Yen's clothes in order to try and get some of the Sorceresses of the Lodge to come and join their sausage fest was hilarious.

This is a job...
for Vesemir!

The way I understand it, looting is randomised yet somehow tied to either your main quest or character progression. However, this is only really important with regards to crafting schematics and alchemy recipes. You'll find these in random containers and chests, but the question of when seems to be tied to your current level / story progression. It also seems to me that you don't have to be thorough to stumble upon these. If you just check those chests that look like they could contain something interesting, you will find most if not all of them sooner or later. And if you do not find them, there's always the option to buy them from merchants / alchemists / herbalists.

Weapon and armour loot seems to work according to the same rules, but this isn't really important, because you'll want to use Witcher gear anyway. Take what you can carry with you in order to sell it later and leave the rest.

Random bags, containers, bundles, etc. are mainly there to keep up your never ending supply of hard liquor.

Monster parts, plants, etc. should always be picked up, because they're used for crafting / alchemy and they take almost no space in your inventory.

Finally, junk is junk. Take the silver stuff as well as the foreign currencies and leave the rest (those peasants really keep a lot of broken rakes in their homes, don't they?).

With regards to game progression, it's advisable to be very thorough during the begining stages of the game (White Orchard and Velen), because you'll be constantly scraping for cash otherwise. From around the point where you get to Novigrad it's usually enough to only loot and sell weapons and furs / hides. You'll get a pretty big cash boost the first time you get to Novigrad anyway because you'll finally be able to convert all those Orens and Florens.

liquidtmd

Banned
Any indication as to when patch 1.07 will drop for PS4? Just been paid and want to buy but if as rumoured the patch improves a fair few things I'd like to start when that hits

I'm so hyped to play this but I can't until I hopefully get a PS4 at the end of the year (when I'm done with my thesis and graduated). It's like a really tasty carrot dangling in front of my nose and I have to keep running for a couple of months before I can taste it.

It's a good sign though. If my hype for a game doesn't die down after it's released it's a sign I'm really going to enjoy it.

Stil having fun going through my backlog. But the day I finally get this I'll probably feel like the kid that just got told he's going to Disneyland.

I'm so hyped to play this but I can't until I hopefully get a PS4 at the end of the year (when I'm done with my thesis and graduated). It's like a really tasty carrot dangling in front of my nose and I have to keep running for a couple of months before I can taste it.

It's a good sign though. If my hype for a game doesn't die down after it's released it's a sign I'm really going to enjoy it.

Stil having fun going through my backlog. But the day I finally get this I'll probably feel like the kid that just got told he's going to Disneyland.

It will be a glorious day friend. No hyperbole, this is one of the best games I've ever played TBH. I can't remember the last time a game engaged me to this extent.

Any date on patch 1.07 for PC?

I'm hoping it adds a stash and also fixes the King's Gambit quest failing the Cave of Dreams quest when it has been previously completed.

How far am I from the end in terms of hours? I know I'm close, just not sure how close. Just wondering when I need to start wrapping up side quests. Also - will it be obvious that there's a point of no return?

Just got "Final Preparations" as a quest.

slop101

Banned
Finally finished (I started late because I needed to blow through W2).

Stats: almost 75 hours, level 36, all Wolven gear Masterclassed.

Some question marks still left, mostly in the waters of Skellige, so nothing major. Played almost no Gwent.

Got the ending I wanted (I'm assuming this is all canon):
Geralt with Yen
Skellige ruled by Cerys
Radovid dead, sided with (B)Roche, Temeria restored
Ciri's becomes a Witcher (loved the last shot with her an her new sword)

I kinda wanna say game of the decade...?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
How far am I from the end in terms of hours? I know I'm close, just not sure how close. Just wondering when I need to start wrapping up side quests. Also - will it be obvious that there's a point of no return?

You still got a few hours left of main story, how much I can't say, depends on how fast you go through it. Also, yeah, it's obvious when you get to a point of no return.
It's soon after you do some quests on Skellige after Final Preparations.

You have maybe 3-5 hours of main story left, depending on how quickly you do them. In regards to the point of no return, a certain character will literally tell you that there is no turning back, if you accept his quest.

mitchman

Gold Member
On my first playthrough, I spent around 300 hours but completely ignored gwent and lost out on several good cards, and I made the mistake of ploughing both yen and triss. 30 hours into my 2nd playthrough now. The game is sooooo good.

Interfectum

On my first playthrough, I spent around 300 hours but completely ignored gwent and lost out on several good cards, and I made the mistake of ploughing both yen and triss. 30 hours into my 2nd playthrough now. The game is sooooo good.

IIRC I think you can plough both and be okay. You just cant say the magic words to both.

Top Bottom