• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

I'm starting the game now, any tips to make a more enjoyable experience?

Should I unmark the uncovered locations on the map?

And almost one year after this post, I finished the game (all quests and expansions).

It was a amazing experience.

Day one for Cyberpunk for sure.

Cat potion in Witcher 1 would last a significant amount of time (excess of 20 minutes if i recall correctly), they have significantly shortened for Witcher 3 to what feels like only a couple of minutes. I was doing a treasure hunt quest which required navigating in what was a pitch black tunnel and cat potion was useless due to how quickly it wore off.

Cat potion used to last a lot more before the patch that they released before Blood and Wine.

One question I have. I just started Final Path or whatever it's called. Part of the Ugly Baby chain. I'm only at 22. Both DLCs have recommended levels of above 30. Ive done a million side quests too and I still feel like getting to 32 is going to take forever. Do the final main quests give massive xp?

They recommend 30 but you can start before that. I started Hearts of Stone at level 27 on Blood and Broken Bones difficulty.

Griss

Finally getting into the DLCs.

Must say, this wedding in Hearts of Stone is the weakest moment the game has had so far, by far for me. The only time while playing this game that I was begging a section to be over, but it dragged on forever. Vlodimir and Shani were awful, boring characters and Geralt's voice actor just couldn't 'sell' the possession properly at all, leading the intended humour falling flat all the time.

Thank fuck that's over, this auction bit is already a breath of fresh air by comparison.

demigod

Bought this game last year but never got around to playing it. I just beat the griffon, when does this game get better?

Bought this game last year but never got around to playing it. I just beat the griffon, when does this game get better?

You're still pretty much in the opening tutorial part of the game.

Once you reach Velen, the story really starts to pick up the pace, with the quest involving the Baron where it really starts going. You're pretty close.

And just some advice: don't toss the side quests/contracts to the side; many of them are just as interesting and complex as the main quests; sometimes even more.

Better in what way? Combat is pretty much what you see is what you get. You'll be able to open different branches and use potions more effectively, increase strength and increase your sign abilities but the base stuff is unlocked from the start. In terms of narrative it gets light years better the more you play.

I'm in the "like's it" camp; the whole Heart of Stone wedding quest is stellar. Even his idle stance changes. And Shani is GOAT, as always.
Holy crap. That drunk scene when they put on Yen's clothes was amazing. I can't remember the last time I laughed out loud at a game.

It's that scene and the Tales From the Borderlands shootout scene, for me. Top-tier gaming humour that I couldn't stop laughing throughout. The above wedding scene would be up there, too.

You're still pretty much in the opening tutorial part of the game.

Once you reach Velen, the story really starts to pick up the pace, with the quest involving the Baron where it really starts going. You're pretty close.

And just some advice: don't toss the side quests/contracts to the side; many of them are just as interesting and complex as the main quests; sometimes even more.
Yeah, one of the most jaw-dropping things about TW3 is how seemingly throwaway quests evolve into huge, multi-hour questlines that have huge impacts on the game world and/or characters, to the point that you'll be shocked to learn that they're optional (and missable!). Though even shorter quests always try to tell a worthwhile story, inlcuding a straightforward "contract" quest.

Griss

It's funny you say that, because most people name that as one of their favourite moments in the entire game. Who'd want to be a game designer?

Wow, I had no idea. Witcher 3 has cracked my top 10 of all time list - I love it to bits - and this was the first time where I was like 'I can't be doing with this, I feel the desperate need to skip this dialogue'. And after about an hour of the wedding hijinks I just did.

Felt bad for Shani, she was lonely, but there was fuck all Geralt could do for her because in my game he's already taken (and I'd wager in 90%+ of players' games he is at this stage) so the whole endeavour just felt like a waste of time.

I will say, though, that the wedding set up was awesome. If it had been Geralt and Yen at that same wedding, no Vlodomir or Shani, then I would probably have loved every bit of it. The mini-quest where you get the fire-swallower down from the tree was classic Witcher brilliance. Absolutely hilarious.

Holy crap. That drunk scene when they put on Yen's clothes was amazing. I can't remember the last time I laughed out loud at a game.

Now that was a scene.

Coreda

Wow, I had no idea. Witcher 3 has cracked my top 10 of all time list - I love it to bits - and this was the first time where I was like 'I can't be doing with this, I feel the desperate need to skip this dialogue'. And after about an hour of the wedding hijinks I just did.

You mentioned you weren't fond of Geralt's English voice acting during this section, I wonder if you would have enjoyed the Polish version better. Personally loved the quest, the
possession
was a hoot and the dancing moments a nice change of character.

Quotient

Cat potion used to last a lot more before the patch that they released before Blood and Wine.

Ah. I wish they kept it at its original setting. It is pretty useless now.

I have completed all the quests related to "In Ciri's Footsteps" in Velen and Novigrad. I am just doing some side quests and witcher contracts before i go to Skellige.

I am currently at level 18 with about 17k in cash and an insane quantity of food and alcohol. Novigrad is really a gold mine for alcohol. Unlike the start of the game where i had to ration food and alcohol usage, i no longer care now. I also just crafted myself the feline armour set - my first crafted items since i was able to get all my equipment previously through looting.

Has anybody encountered a glitch during some minor treasure hunt quests where the game won't register that you've completed it once you've opened the treasure chest? It's happened to me at least three times, the first of which I'm permanently locked out of completing cause I can no longer activate the chest anymore (I took everything out of it). It's not really a big deal cause these are just the little treasure hunts that don't really matter, but still kind of annoying.

Just pre ordered the complete edition as I never played it before or the past games, what are some tips?
Well my first piece of advice is to immediately buy every Gwent card you ever see for sale! Also play Gwent with every person you come across who gives you the option as your first order of business. It's hard to get your head around Gwent at first, but it's a lot of fun and a really nice change of pace in the game when you finally do, and if you neglect it early it can be very difficult to catch up in terms of sourcing cards.

Understand that there's not just a tutorial, there's an entire tutorial region, so just be patient and take your time with the game. Side quests in this game are generally just as good as the main quests, so partake of everything. If one particular approach is starting to bore you, do something else: so if you're bored of exploring, do some quests; if you're bored of quests, do some exploring, etc.

Also, try to complete quests before they turn grey (due to you over-levelling them). A lot of that is inevitable, but try to minimise it as best you can.

The bestiary is your bible, from both a canonical and game mechanics point of view, so always make good use of it and really know who you're fighting at any point.

Finally, try to use all elements of the combat system as much as you can: oils, potions (and decoctions), bombs, signs, rolling and dodging, parrying, counters, etc. There are so many that people tend to forget about or neglect a lot of them, but you'll have a lot more fun (and be a lot more effective) if you make good use of all of the tools available to you.

Vimme, what have they done to you. :/

Pre 1.30

Code:
[IMG]http://thewitcher3.wiki.fextralife.com/file/The-Witcher-3/vimme_vivaldi.jpg[/IMG]

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/QbIAWZr.jpg[/IMG]
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/zieuCK6.jpg[/IMG]

I guess they tried to make him look more like his cousin, Golan, but I thought the previous design was better. Waiting for the mod that gives him the new clothes, but with the old face. Also, isn't it strange that out of all the NPC's they could have messed with or improved, they chose him. Not complaining, it's just odd.

Olli128

Anyone know how big 1.30 is on Ps4? I'm getting told I don't have enough Space to download when I have 35GB free.. that can't be right surely?

Finally finished act 1. Should I finish up any side-quests or contracts before starting act 2? Or will I not be locked out of anything?

The game makes it very obvious when, at a certain point in the main quest, some sidequests will become permanently unavailable. You'll have to specify what you mean by Act 1 / Act 2, because a lot of people use different areas to mark those.

The game makes it very obvious when, at a certain point in the main quest, some sidequests will become permanently unavailable. You'll have to specify what you mean by Act 1 / Act 2, because a lot of people use different areas to mark those.

My next main quest is called "ugly baby"

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yes. And yeah it's better to win the cards from a Gwent match than paying for them. Plus if you win you'll get double your bet. That said I paid for a good many of them later in the game.

The two are mutually exclusive. You have to do both.

The cards you can purchase from Innkeepers are not the same cards that you win in Gwent matches.

Alastor3

Does the FPS Framedrop is better now on the PS4? I don't have money for a new PC and can barely run Witcher 2 at low but my friend bought it on ps4 so I can grab his copy.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Does the FPS Framedrop is better now on the PS4? I don't have money for a new PC and can barely run Witcher 2 at low but my friend bought it on ps4 so I can grab his copy.

Runs really good after the lastest patches.

My next main quest is called "ugly baby"

You're still good. When you get the Brothers in Arms sidequests later, you'll need to finish those, which are really important, before starting the next main mission. When you get the the area where that main mission takes place, the game will pop up a textbox telling you that: "shit is about to go down, get these things done beforehand or else."

Finish Following the Thread before doing Ugly Baby. Oh, and I think you need to do the Cave of Dreams quest before doing King's Gambit or Ugly Baby, and make sure you have your romance locked in before you start Ugly Baby. In other words, finish The Last Wish and/or Now or Never. There's no rush when doing Ugly Baby, so take your time and explore the area fully for quite a few not-so-obvious side missions. Don't rush through it like I did in my first playthrough, because you'll miss some throwbacks and things to the previous games.

Also, isn't it strange that out of all the NPC's they could have messed with or improved, they chose him. Not complaining, it's just odd.

Haha seriously, have any of the devs commented on what prompted this? Like who decides to go in a year after release and change the appearance of one random NPC? lol.

I can't wait for the Winter 2017 patch when Bram from White Orchard gets a new haircut!

Quotient

I finished all the quests in Vellen and Novigrad for "In Ciri's Footsteps", i am now on Skellige and i really love the new environment!

With regards to suggested level, the game states that you should be level 17 before heading to Skellige, which is odd since there are a few quests which have suggested level 11/12, seems odd.

Regginator

Anyone else noticing decreased performances since the recent patch? I haven't played it in a month, but I usually averaged around 45fps on High settings, but now I'm seeing a lot of drops to lower 30s.

Salarians

I guess they tried to make him look more like his cousin, Golan, but I thought the previous design was better. Waiting for the mod that gives him the new clothes, but with the old face. Also, isn't it strange that out of all the NPC's they could have messed with or improved, they chose him. Not complaining, it's just odd.
Yeeeeah, not a fan. What a weird change. He's a very minor character all things considered.

Just started playing, maybe three or four hours into it. Is it normal to just lose hours doing nothing but exploring, riding through the woods and doing random "?" Events? Cuz that's what happening.

There's a sorta zen to it at all. Very relaxing.

Just started playing, maybe three or four hours into it. Is it normal to just lose hours doing nothing but exploring, riding through the woods and doing random "?" Events? Cuz that's what happening.

There's a sorta zen to it at all. Very relaxing.

Ha ha, yeah, that's pretty much how the game went for me. It took me hours just to get back on track on the main quest after leaving White Orchard.

Just be careful not to get burnt out just going from "?" to "?". Some people will actually suggest to disable those icons on the map screen and just discover stuff on your own. I never did that but after a while I kind of just did them as they showed up near me instead of strictly going out of my way to go from one to another. There's a LOT of them, especially in later areas like Skellige, and it's easy to get overwhelmed by them after a while. So don't worry about doing every single "?" you see before you move on to a new area.

Auctopus

I finished all the quests in Vellen and Novigrad for "In Ciri's Footsteps", i am now on Skellige and i really love the new environment!

With regards to suggested level, the game states that you should be level 17 before heading to Skellige, which is odd since there are a few quests which have suggested level 11/12, seems odd.

I think it means specifically that quest chain. You're more than welcome to go to Skellige before you hit that level and explore.

My preference is to buy games on GOG, but I have no idea (well, I guess they have no idea) what's going on with the patching system. I tried to manually download 1.3, it shows 400mb, and then fails every time. Now I'm updating the normal way, it shows 13gb, then 1gb (0.0 MB/s), then by the play button it shows 12gb (13 minus the 1gb???). OK, it started back up and it's showing 2.9gb. Could it be more confusing or busted?

cjp

Is there any additional physical content in the retail GOTY edition? Maps, soundtrack etc. Trying to decide whether to go digital or not.

Mediking

I actually went back to my completed Witcher 3 save and did a few things for fun. I randomly walked into a village that was dealing with slaves and I destroyed the pirates. I freed the slaves. I really gotta get the expansions....

Top Bottom