• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

are there any mods that revamp the combat? played base game on ps4 but thinking of buying the GOTY on pc.

combat system is abit shit.

Try Ghost Mode on Death March.

It is not really a combat overhaul (I don't think there are good combat overhauls for W3) but more of a gentle game refinement.
It affects combat by making monster stats more unique, buffing useless abilities, nerfing overpowerded abilities, making armors and swords more distinct.
It also fixes many bugs and inconsistencies.

cftrooper

Is there any additional physical content in the retail GOTY edition? Maps, soundtrack etc. Trying to decide whether to go digital or not.

I heard it doesn't sadly. Still worth it for me though since all content is on the disc so I don't need to download anything

malfcn

Just strolled through Meijer and they had the Witcher 3 Complete Edition out. It was in a spot that was $49.99-30=19.99 on sale. Possible error, but it was the same in the Xbox One and PS4 locations.

I finally completed it! Approx a year after getting it. I got what I think is "the good" ending which was nice, though I had no idea what choices mattered and what ones didn't. I just fucked people up, told the truth and this is the result!

Now I'm onto Hearts of Stone. I loved the Wedding quest, it was such good fun.

LogicStep

Videogamer.com did an excellent video explaining why they feel TW3 is the game of the generation. I'd make a new thread but can't yet, so if someone wants to, here's the link:

https://youtu.be/9DYwfr_DcR0

Hell yeah this game is amazing. I beat the basic game and Hearts of Stone on PS4, started Blood and Wine but then I got a new PC and started over from scratch. I've already put 60 hours into the PC version. This game is amazing.

It's what makes with Witcher great, some of these quests are real moral conundrums. Not like a lot of Bioware's games where it's pretty black and white.

I often find the hardest decisions to be not to do, but what to say. When you get to the end of a quest and you have to decide whether or not to tell the widower that, I dunno, her husband died whilst having an affair with the herbalist or whatever. Do you owe her the truth, or is it pointless souring her memory of him for no gain? TRICKY.

Gonna buy a Witcher keychain from Aliexpress. Cannot decide between these two:
NsyHnEJ.jpg
9IucCLZ.jpg

Option A (first three pics) has a nice rugged look and with red eyes. But honestly the red eyes could be better.

Option B is a nice plain clean silver. Metal case is cool I guess?

I got hit with the dialog loading bug (PS4). It broke my newer game saves, thankfully I had an old pre-1.30 save to fall back on.

If you're not familiar with it, basically every time you enter a conversation with an NPC, the game goes to a loading screen for 10 seconds or so and every time the scene changes during the dialog cutscene or there's a new line of dialog, the screen goes blurry and loads for 10 seconds.

I tried everything to fix it, even deleting the game and re-downloading everything. It seems it's not that rare of a problem, either. Hopefully CDPR has a fix for this soon. Until then, I'm being really careful about maintaining my list of saves in case something like this happens again.

Eusis

I often find the hardest decisions to be not to do, but what to say. When you get to the end of a quest and you have to decide whether or not to tell the widower that, I dunno, her husband died whilst having an affair with the herbalist or whatever. Do you owe her the truth, or is it pointless souring her memory of him for no gain? TRICKY.
I found it easy for that rough equivalent in Blood and Wine. But then,
when your lover goes to fight the witch, only to have a different kind of "fight" with her, and you managed to curse yourself into a TREE while waiting, you deserve real closure.

Gonna buy a Witcher keychain from Aliexpress. Cannot decide between these two:

Option A (first three pics) has a nice rugged look and with red eyes. But honestly the red eyes could be better.

Option B is a nice plain clean silver. Metal case is cool I guess?

Having a sharp, pointy metallic thing hanging near your back pocket probably isn't the best idea for sitting down though :p

Jumping back into this gem after a year.

Is there a recommended build that makes the combat as fun as possible throughout? My main issue with the game last time was that combat never felt that enjoyable, and I'm hoping this changed after the many patches.

Are bombs viable?
Are signs still OP?

Jumping back into this gem after a year.

Is there a recommended build that makes the combat as fun as possible throughout? My main issue with the game last time was that combat never felt that enjoyable, and I'm hoping this changed after the many patches.

Are bombs viable?
Are signs still OP?

Well for me, I find playing on Death March makes the combat FAR better. You need to take your time and use everything at your disposal (oils, potions, bombs, etc.). I tend to stick to a Hybrid Combat/Sign Build for the early game.

I would stay away from Alchemy at first as you won't have a whole lot of potions/decoctions, though a late game Alchemy build is ridiculous.

I like using bombs and they can be very useful with or without any skill points allocated to them. Late game builds geared towards bombs are super fun.

I don't think signs are very OP, at least for the majority of the game. I do like putting points into Igni as it is fun to set things on fire. Obviously Quen is important. Especially the Quen shield that restores health every time you get hit.

Play around with builds and see what you like. I loved being pure combat at first but them switched to a hybrid build and had a blast. In the DLC I switched to a focus on Alchemy and wrecked everything.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So... was there always multiple loading screens (PS4) when talking to merchants? I don't remember this. There are two (like 5+ sec) separate loads 1) starting the conversation 2) getting into the barter screen, and another when you end the conversation.

I don't recall all this loading. Is my PS4 taking a dump?

Sai

So... was there always multiple loading screens (PS4) when talking to merchants? I don't remember this. There are two (like 5+ sec) separate loads 1) starting the conversation 2) getting into the barter screen, and another when you end the conversation.

Something like that. Go back to an earlier save, and restart your PS4.

someday

Banned

This started happening to people after the recent update. Ps4 and Xbox players. I got lucky but it's an issue with the update, not your ps4.

Sai

I've experienced that long before this update, though. Usually popped up after extremely long sessions.

someday

Banned
I've experienced that long before this update, though. Usually popped up after extremely long sessions.
Ok. There was a thread on reddit after the update and lots of people were experiencing it for the first time and immediately upon starting. I get weird lag too when I've been playing for hours too.

Evolved1

So on PS4... I strongly recommend (if you've found the game to control pretty clunky) you go into options and disable auto-center camera, and then in the PS4 OS swap "X" for "L1" in custom controls.

What a huge difference. To always have complete camera control during horse riding, sprinting, combat, etc. Especially while galloping on Roach, what a difference!

The only oddity is your "confirm, interact, etc" input becomes L1 which is weird for a few mins but totally worth it imo.

If you think TW3 controls too clunky, I highly recommend changing these two things. You're welcome.

Badoink

Banned
I kinda wanted to start a new topic (I can't) and I hope this is not too off-topic, but here are some words by Adrzej Sapkowski (author of Witcher books) about CD Projekt and games.

I've translated the whole thing since the source is in Polish:

Andrzej Sapkowski proved once again that video games are not his main port of interest, to put it lightly. In a Q&A session at the biggest Polish fantasy and sci-fi convention - Polcon - he spoke quite harshly about the players and developers.

The first one "under fire" during the Q&A session was Adrian Chmielarz [the Painkiller and Bulletstorm guy], who - along with his Metropolis Software studio - worked in 1997 on the first adaptation of the adventures of Geralt.

The writer mentions that - in contrast to the CD Project works - he never even got the finished product. It would be hard to do so though, since this game has never seen the light of day.

- Well then I'm not even sorry - said Sapkowski, when the person asking a question drew attention to this fact. The author also accused Metropolis of on paying any money for the rights to the Witcher. Chmielarz quickly denied this on Facebook: "You got the money" - he wrote.

During the Q&A at Polcon, the author also raised the subject of other adaptations.

- I do quite often penetrate Russian websites, because you can pirate there without much effort - Sapkowski said a moment later, talking about a Witcher musical from Russia. - You need to be able to write the Cyrillic alphabet.

- The movie, no matter the quality of it, and I seen worse, significantly raised sales of the books - he added, starting the CD Projekt topic. - The game did similar.

- The word started to spread. I don't know who promoted it, probably CD Projekt itself, that were it not for the game, I would've never seen a translation [of the books] in western Europe - he explained. - All my translations were much earlier than the game. This game used my popularity, and not the other way around.

- The game has caused me a lot of shit and stink - Sapkowski addes. - Foreign publishers began using graphics from the game on the covers. People rejected the book, saying that it is not new, it's game-related.

- Like a book written for the game, which we see plenty of, especially in the fantasy genre. Fans in Europe began to reject my books. I had to fight some hard battles to prove who was first. The game messed up a lot, a lot - he explained.

It's worth mentioning that the translations in Western Europe and - especially - the United States consisted mostly of the short stories written by Sapkowski. The interest in the "proper" five-book saga started after the success of Witcher 3 and with enormous marketing expenditures of CD Project.

"The Last Wish" book even managed to feature on The New York Times bestseller list. With graphics from the game on the cover.

Sapkowski acknowledges that the success of CD Projekt's games helped create an influx of readers, but eventually the pros and cons were on equal level, as a large group of people might not wanted to read books "based on a game".

- It's 50/50. Let's face it, there was a certain group, which has become a target group for my books only after playing the game - Sapkowski admits.

- I agree, there was that group. But when I start to compare with the target group taht dropped out because they said they will not read books written "based on a game" I do not know whether it will not come out to be fifty-fifty.

-But I don't cry, I don't spit that my books were destroyed by the game. You should get used to it and don't treat the weeping willow and cows as the same thing. The book are book, literature is literature. Games, comics, movies are only adaptations.

Speaking of adaptations, Sapkowski also touched on the film created by Tomasz Bagiński, but didn't wanted to reveal any details.

- And I even know who could possibly play the witcher, but you will not tell! - he joked. - The actor applied himself, he wasn't asked. I don't know, maybe he played the game.

A little bit later in the Q&A, Sapkowski decided to give his opinion on gamers in general.

- If I ever come up with an idea for a sequel to Witcher, and I'm not saying I won't, with story happening much, much later, do you think I will look at what happened in the game? And why should I care? - he asked.

- Especially since you don't know what happened in the game - said a lady leading the Q&A.

- Especially since I don't know. I can ask someone. I know some people who played these games, but not too many. I tend to associate with intelligent people - he concluded.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.pl/articles/2016-08-29-andrzej-sapkowski-o-serii-wiedzmin-chmielarzu-i-graczach

frontovik

Banned
Interesting read..

It is my understanding that the 'video game' covers are only for the books available in the US, while the European covers uses the traditional 'Witcher logo' or features models dressed up as Witcher characters; I prefer the European covers by far.

Foreign publishers began using graphics from the game on the covers. People rejected the book, saying that it is not new, it's game-related.

But when I start to compare with the target group taht dropped out because they said they will not read books written "based on a game" I do not know whether it will not come out to be fifty-fifty.

Well it's unfortunate that those readers are not better informed, as they'd be able to recognize a clear distinction... It's evident that the marketing team used the game covers because they're more well known to the mass audience. Even the games acknowledge that it is "based on the prose of Andrezj Sapkowski".

If it wasn't for the original game, I likely wouldn't have heard of Sapkowski's Witcher saga, and I appreciate the tremendous work he did on it. At least he understands that the games are adaptions of his works, but he should give CDPR a tad more credit for the increased exposure it has brought to his books.

Sai

I knew the author wasn't entirely thrilled about some of the attention the games have brought, and I'm sympathetic to the misunderstandings that have been made about his works because of them.

But that last line... :/

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Well, I gotta say, he seems like a douche.
I see all of his books in stores here in Brazil, all the time. Would they be there if it wasn't for the games? No, they wouldn't.
So stop whinning and be proud of what you achieved in the fantasy genre.

I see all of his books in stores here in Brazil, all the time. Would they be there if it wasn't for the games? No, they wouldn't.
Yeah, same here in italy. The first one was translated only in 2010. I'm not sure how he can say they were translated way before the game (maybe if you only take into account Eastern Europe?)

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Yeah, same here in italy. The first one was translated only in 2010. I'm not sure how he can say they were translated way before the game (maybe if you only take into account Eastern Europe?)

Probably, yes.
And even me, in south Brazil, knew when the first game came out that it was based on his book.

Ricker

Last Boss fight of Blood and Wine is ridiculously hard,dropping it down to the easiest setting I cant even beat it...oh well time to watch the ending on YouTube...great game though,wouldnt be surprised if the blood and wine trophy to finish the DLC is a ultra rare at 5 % lol.

Sai

Last Boss fight of Blood and Wine is ridiculously hard,dropping it down to the easiest setting I cant even beat it...oh well time to watch the ending on YouTube...great game though,wouldnt be surprised if the blood and wine trophy to finish the DLC a ultra rare at 5 % lol.
If you're struggling with the bat attack, just start sprinting to the side just before he finishes charging it, and you'll dodge it completely. Don't try roll away from it; while it is possible, the timing is too strict.

The rest of the fight is pretty cake once you get that out of the way.

DemWalls

The first book came out in France in 2003... and for the second one they "mysteriously" waited til 2007, when the first game came out. There's no denying it, without the games the books wouldn't have exited the Eastern European borders possibly ever.

Anyway, don't get too upset about that closing line, Sap is very much the sarcastic type. I'm sure he didn't mean it seriously.

c0Zm1c

Every time I talk to a merchant in Velen the game crashes(ps4). Does this happen to anybody else?

Not the same thing but I have noticed that traveling merchants are broken in the PC version (for me at least). If I try to trade with them the inventory menu fails to pop up and it exits me out and back into the game world. Other fixed merchants, such as those standing behind counters, I can trade with fine.

Ricker

If you're struggling with the bat attack, just start sprinting to the side just before he finishes charging it, and you'll dodge it completely. Don't try roll away from it; while it is possible, the timing is too strict.

The rest of the fight is pretty cake once you get that out of the way.

Yeah,the thing is I still have the medium Wolf set,I didnt upgrade even if I could do one piece or 2..but I had no problems on normal until then,the Boss just before was easy enough etc etc...but this guy,2 hits or 3 and I am dead during the second form...then theres the PS4 loading after death lol...at least I saved during the little time you get after all the cutscenes now,oils are applied and all...I have 4 Swallows,not the higher ones though,just enhanced I believe...thanks for the tips though,I will try a few more times I guess.

Jake2by4

Not the same thing but I have noticed that traveling merchants are broken in the PC version (for me at least). If I try to trade with them the inventory menu fails to pop up and it exits me out and back into the game world. Other fixed merchants, such as those standing behind counters, I can trade with fine.

I have the complete edition and i'm on v1.31, can't go to a merchant without getting hit with an error and booted to the home screen.

Jake2by4

Done wth this game for now completely unplayable, can't talk to a blacksmith, merchant or anybody selling thing without the game crashing.

nortonff

Done wth this game for now completely unplayable, can't talk to a blacksmith, merchant or anybody selling thing without the game crashing.
Try rebuilding the console's database.

Been trying to get back into Witcher 3 and am loving my time with it except for one fatal bug that brings the game to a standstill.

At some point all dialogue with NPCs slows to a crawl, with 10 second load times between each transition. So I'll walk up to a merchant, get a black spinning wheel load screen for 10 seconds, then the merchant will speak, then the image will blur out before cutting to another 10 second load before I'm presented my options to respond, and then another 10 second load after I choose one, and then I hear my response, and another 10 second load - well, you get the idea.

Once it happens, it happens in all conversations from then on. Restarting the game doesn't help. Restarting the PS4 doesn't help. I did reinstall the whole game, and got a few hours in before it started up again.

Anybody know of any workaround or solution to this? Or is my time with the Witcher 3 over?

Been trying to get back into Witcher 3 and am loving my time with it except for one fatal bug that brings the game to a standstill.

At some point all dialogue with NPCs slows to a crawl, with 10 second load times between each transition. So I'll walk up to a merchant, get a black spinning wheel load screen for 10 seconds, then the merchant will speak, then the image will blur out before cutting to another 10 second load before I'm presented my options to respond, and then another 10 second load after I choose one, and then I hear my response, and another 10 second load - well, you get the idea.

Once it happens, it happens in all conversations from then on. Restarting the game doesn't help. Restarting the PS4 doesn't help. I did reinstall the whole game, and got a few hours in before it started up again.

Anybody know of any workaround or solution to this? Or is my time with the Witcher 3 over?

1.3 has caused this, it's in Novigrad specifically and happens if you don't have the expansions.

I have the same issue

Evolved1

They could remove so much of the jank-feel of the controls if they'd properly use the left analog. They removed the auto-center camera, finally. Makes a huge difference. But they still have the stupid "Geralt walks inside vs Geralt walks outside" movement sets... just put it all on the damn analog: slowest walk through jog. Hundreds of games successfully do this.

If you're gonna put your PC game on consoles, please take advantage of the one thing consoles can do better than WASD.

It's the only complaint I have about the controls now, really... and it bugs me because it just seems so damn obvious. Fix it! This game is awesome, but this "inside vs outside" thing is just really poorly executed. It's not even necessary on consoles -- that's vestigial PC stuff and they should know better. Everyone else does.

Also... your jog animation is pretty awful. Just saying.

Neat game though.

nortonff

The new announced patch seems to fix this:
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...tting-ps4-xbox-one-soon-fixes-loading-issues/

Corrects Arabic text in the expansions.
Corrects Turkish text.
Repairs holes in Vimme Vivaldi’s new clothes.
Fixes long loading times in dialogues in the vicinity of Hierarch Square.
Fixes infinite loading screen occurring during the “Pyres of Novigrad” quest when following the thief.
Corrects credits.
(Origin) Fixes NPC lipsync issues.

Greddleok

The new patch won't download on PS4. I have enough space for it but it keeps telling me I don'.t

Any idea what's up or whatI can do?

The new patch won't download on PS4. I have enough space for it but it keeps telling me I don'.t

Any idea what's up or whatI can do?

How much space does it require? And how much you have left? I don't know how the PS4 does patching but it can require as much space as double the size of the patch to download, unpack and install, etc.

Top Bottom