• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

1.3 has caused this, it's in Novigrad specifically and happens if you don't have the expansions.

I have the same issue

Yeah, that's definitely the issue. Didn't know it was limited to Hierarch Square and thereabouts but thats where I've been running around lately, so it felt like every NPC conversation was bugged.

And man that's great news on the patch. This game just started to completely pull me back in when the load times problem hit. Will wait for this hotfix and jump back in.

Thanks for the answers guys.

Greddleok

How much space does it require? And how much you have left? I don't know how the PS4 does patching but it can require as much space as double the size of the patch to download, unpack and install, etc.

I have 33gigs of space free. I seriously doubt the patch is 15gig, and if it is, it's probably a good thing I can't download it!

danthefan

If you're struggling with the bat attack, just start sprinting to the side just before he finishes charging it, and you'll dodge it completely. Don't try roll away from it; while it is possible, the timing is too strict.

The rest of the fight is pretty cake once you get that out of the way.

I came to this thread to moan about this fight. Can get through the first bit easily but just got one shotted twice by the bats and gave up. Run to the sides - gotcha.

Vic_Viper

Finally fixed my PC and can run this game without crashing and I have a few questions:

Is there a good way to get money other than doing the contracts? I always seem either too low level or need some item I don't have yet.

Is there a good way to get more xp in the early game? Should I just do the main quest till I'm high enough level to start the contracts and secondary quests?

Finally fixed my PC and can run this game without crashing and I have a few questions:

Is there a good way to get money other than doing the contracts? I always seem either too low level or need some item I don't have yet.

Is there a good way to get more xp in the early game? Should I just do the main quest till I'm high enough level to start the contracts and secondary quests?
Points of Interest (the ? on the map) will give you small amounts of XP and also some loot, which you can sell. If you find yourself short of cash but unable to qualify for good Witcher Contracts or Story missions, then hit up some Points of Interest while you're waiting.

For levelling, the main story missions and Witcher Contracts are where you get almost all of the XP. The other stuff (side missions, points of interest, killing monsters) only gives minimal XP. The main issue you'll face is trying not to oversees the quests available to you, rather than not being able to do them. Early on you'll be presented with quests that are meant for very late in the game; just leave them in your quest log, and come back to them at the appropriate time. Stick to the quests that are around your current level.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I did something I knew I shouldn't yesterday.
I started the game just to check out the 1.30 patch on the PS4.
Deleted my old save. Made a Death March + Level Scaling new game.
The game is running really smooth and I feel that I'll end up replaying the whole game again.
With the backlog I currently have, that was a HUGE mistake.
What an amazing game.

Edit: Was Gaunter O'Dimm always at the first inn you enter in the game or just after they released the expansion? lol I laughed when I saw him there.

danthefan

Got so pissed off with the
Dettlaff
fight that I just turned down the difficulty to get through it. It was that or give up. Doesn't feel great but so be it.

This is easily the best piece of additional content I've played for any game. It's just so damn brilliant. Brings me well over 100hrs on TW3 which I just don't spend on single player games anymore.

I did something I knew I shouldn't yesterday.
I started the game just to check out the 1.30 patch on the PS4.
Deleted my old save. Made a Death March + Level Scaling new game.
The game is running really smooth and I feel that I'll end up replaying the whole game again.
With the backlog I currently have, that was a HUGE mistake.
What an amazing game.

Edit: Was Gaunter O'Dimm always at the first inn you enter in the game or just after they released the expansion? lol I laughed when I saw him there.

he was always there . They planned those stories from the start

Jake2by4

Figured out why my game crashes when talking to merchants or blacksmith, seems like there is bug when you compare items. The game slows down and crashes.

danthefan

I must have gotten the bad ending,
Syanna killed the duchess and then was killed herself
. Do you just ignore the fifth victim stuff to get a better ending?

Sai

I must have gotten the bad ending,
Syanna killed the duchess and then was killed herself
. Do you just ignore the fifth victim stuff to get a better ending?
Did you go to see the Unseen Elder, or take Syanna to Detlaff?

If you did the latter, you have to try to be empathetic and understanding of Syanna's past during the available dialogue options with her, in addition to winning her ribbon back. Then, after you investigate the fifth victim, you have to suggest that Syanna forgives her little sister when you talk to her before her trial.

danthefan

Did you go to see the Unseen Elder, or take Syanna to Detlaff?

If you did the latter, you have to try to be empathetic and understanding of Syanna's past during the available dialogue options with her, in addition to winning her ribbon back. Then, after you investigate the fifth victim, you have to suggest that Syanna forgives her little sister when you talk to her before her trial.

Thanks. I did the latter alright.

I can't remember anything about the ribbon so guess that's out the window. Oh well, bad ending it is.

Vic_Viper

Game is finally starting to pick up the pace and I'm finally getting better xp and money. Almost at level 10 and finished the Red Baron quest line stuff completely. Going to meet up with Triss.

Is there any special items or gear I should be trying to find around this level?
Also when is a good time to start the Hattori stuff?

Philtastic

Coming back to this game after getting distracted by Space Engineers. Finally fought the first boss of the Hearts of Stone expansion. I remember a lot of people here complaining about that fight and how hard/annoying he was. Although I can see why some people might have been annoyed, it really wasn't that difficult, even on Death March with a melee-centric build. As I've constantly mentioned, the combat is actually really good and some of the best in any RPG ever if you use all of the tools in your arsenal.

Here's a video of my 4th attempt on this boss. I hadn't discovered any devastating weaknesses, was still getting a feel for him, and wasn't even using the right oil since you fight him immediately after a cutscene and didn't know that you can apply oils in combat now, so it's not a perfect or even impressive fight but the point is that he's not bad as long as you take your time and, in general, don't over commit unless you've stunned him (or possibly dodged one of his jumps). Obviously, spoilers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iomdylgoRCU

Edit: After beating him, I went and looked up how others beat him on YouTube and it appears that
the Toad can be lit on fire very easily contrary to Shani's hint that it doesn't fear fire, thus the best strategy to beating it is to throw Dancing Star bombs to set him on fire which will allow you to wail away

Vic_Viper

Anyone know of a good resource of builds? I've been following this guys build I saw on YouTube, think he calls it the whirling blades build that uses light armor. But I would like to see some other options and I can't seem to find a good place that has a bunch of builds with pics showing how they have their abilities set up.

Also is there a respec option in the game if I decide to go a different route or want to experiment? I'm only level 10 still so I don' think I've made any big decisions yet.

How important is the conversation ability in the game? I've seen a few chances to use it so far but I haven't leveled it up to take advantage.

illusionary

Does anyone know for certain when those Dark Horse figurines actually release (specifically for the UK, but any info would be good)? I can see a variety of release dates from different merchants - including Amazon UK, from whom I've ordered and which show two of them as already released, but they immediately just show no stock.

Dark Horse's own site shows 26 October for the first of them - can that be taken as correct?

https://www.darkhorse.com/Products/30-232/The-Witcher-3-Geralt-Figure

dedhead54

I finally finished Blood and Wine today. I got the ending where
Syanna kills the duchess, and then Yen showed up at Corvo Bianco and we live happily ever after.

Now that I have finished all the quest content including expansions and most of the other stuff I can say with certainty to this is the best game I have ever played and also my favorite. I've never been so moved by a game before. What a memorable experience. Thanks, CDPR. I will support the shit out of you guys forever now.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Did 1.30 break PS4 version? I am getting constant loading in dialogue. I even rebuilt the system database to no success.

Bl@de

600x.jpg

The Witcher is getting a stamp in Poland^^

Full Story

Poland’s largest postal network, Poczta Polska, is set to release a stamp featuring the famous monster slayer Geralt of Rivia. It will be a limited run that begins circulation on Friday
To go along with the Geralt stamp, Poczta Polska is also releasing a limited edition envelope. It features a fiery interpretation of Geralt’s Witcher medallion, which warns him of danger and signifies his status as a Witcher for hire.

danthefan

So that's it. I'm done, game finished, expansions all finished. Without a doubt one of the finest games I've ever played. Can't wait for whatever CDPR do next.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
First off: I like the game a lot. Amazingly well realized world, and large at that.

BUT.

There's just sooo much to do. I've reached Skellige and I've got a ton of quests waiting to be done, even though I basically spend 75% of my time just doing side quests, treasure hunts and such.

And I have no idea what to do with the insane amount of food and drink I'm carrying around. For healing I just use that red potion that fills up when you meditate.

Sai

Just carry around water; really don't think you need any other food items. And the Swallow potion raises your toxicity for similar health regeneration.

As for all the side quests, just try to do what's on the way to your next objective in the main questline. It's easy to get lost in the world because there's so much to do, but if you feel that you're spending too much time away from the main questline, do your best to ignore those Points of Interest until you reach a lull in the main questline.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Just carry around water; really don't think you need any other food items. And the Swallow potion raises your toxicity for similar health regeneration.

As for all the side quests, just try to do what's on the way to your next objective in the main questline. It's easy to get lost in the world because there's so much to do, but if you feel that you're spending too much time away from the main questline, do your best to ignore those Points of Interest until you reach a lull in the main questline.

So just sell the rest of the food, huh? I've got a ton.

I've also held on to a copy of every book I've found in the game.. I assume that if you sell them, they're still in the glossary then?

Vic_Viper

I've also held on to a copy of every book I've found in the game.. I assume that if you sell them, they're still in the glossary then?

I've also been wondering about this.

I haven't run into encumbrance problems yet but I fear I will be soon. Plus I have a ton of books and alchemy items that I have no idea what to do with. Alchemy items don't have weight though right?

Sai

Alchemy, and crafting items no longer add to your weight.

If you read a book for an addition to the beastiary entry, it stays there even if you get rid of the book.

If you've kept every piece of literature you've picked up until now, you should go to the book store in Novigrad's Hierarch Square and sell them all off; you should make a nice profit.

I personally tend to keep books, journals, and notes related to quests I've done. Don't have to, but I do. :p

Vic_Viper

Is there anyway to upgrade a swords stats? I'm finding some badass weapons that are just 2-3 levels below me and I really wish I had found them sooner. The whole cat school treasure hunt alone is giving me low level stuff but it's labeled as a level 16 quest!

Nohar

Finally reached Skellige! I'm getting Skyrim vibes from that location, it is simply amazing. Ever since I reached the island I never opened the world map, not even once, and I disabled the quest tracker (well, more like I selected the Gwynt quest, which has no objective): I want to really explore the area by myself, instead of jumping from point A to point B by following a trail (well, I guess I will need to do that for some quests, since most quests are impossible to track without the magical trail on the minimap), and enjoy the landscape.
Initially I wanted to disable the minimap altogether, but finding specific NPCs suddenly become quite an ordeal. Oh well.

That being said, I met quite a few bugs here too:
  • I met a merchant, but I couldn't buy anything from him: the dialog box went back to conversation selection, and a double of that merchant popped out of nowhere before disappearing.
  • Taking the elevator down actually killed Geralt. No, I didn't fall: simply activating the elevator "Use" teleported Geralt on it, lying on the ground, with an empty health bar and the screen fading to black. Thanksfully the screen showed my Geralt on the elevator a few seconds later, somehow he recovered his health and everything is fine, didn't need to reload a save. Weird though. That elevator is nasty.
I have a few issues with the game though: my poney regularly gets stuck into small trees or doesn't want to ride through some areas without suddenly stopping dead in its tracks, and the inventory is not ideal (at all). Really could use some improvements.

Dries

So I just started the quest
On Thin Ice
. Is this the absolute end-game quest or do I still have a bit to go?

tariniel

I think I finished the main quests in Velen finally.

The witches of the bog and the spirit in the tree are seriously nightmare fuel. I made the choice to kill the tree and the kids are gone, now the Baron wants to go take back Anna, which seems like a secondary quest but I'll probably go and do it anyway. But seriously those witches freaked me the hell out, especially the one with legs hanging out in front of her. Just disgusting.

Also, I thought the Pellar was fantastic. Really funny.

I think I need to go to Novigrad now? Or maybe I should stick around Velen and finish up a bunch of sidequests and contracts? I think I'm level 11 or 12. I also only found 2 places of power and have no idea how to find the other ones aside from googling it or hitting every ? on the map... which there are way too many of for my tastes.

Other than that I'm kind of just flailing about because I don't really know a lot about what I should upgrade or what skills I should take. I'm completely skipping everything Gwent related because I didn't find the tutorial for it very interesting at all.

MadYarpen

I think I finished the main quests in Velen finally.

The witches of the bog and the spirit in the tree are seriously nightmare fuel. I made the choice to kill the tree and the kids are gone, now the Baron wants to go take back Anna, which seems like a secondary quest but I'll probably go and do it anyway. But seriously those witches freaked me the hell out, especially the one with legs hanging out in front of her. Just disgusting.

Also, I thought the Pellar was fantastic. Really funny.

I think I need to go to Novigrad now? Or maybe I should stick around Velen and finish up a bunch of sidequests and contracts? I think I'm level 11 or 12. I also only found 2 places of power and have no idea how to find the other ones aside from googling it or hitting every ? on the map... which there are way too many of for my tastes.

Other than that I'm kind of just flailing about because I don't really know a lot about what I should upgrade or what skills I should take. I'm completely skipping everything Gwent related because I didn't find the tutorial for it very interesting at all.
Don't hunt ? marks. Just do whatever you feel like doing. That's the best way to approach the game.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Had my first hang on a loading screen last night after 32hrs of playtime. Had to find some secret entrance by following a pickpocketer and each time it went to load a cut scene it would hang. Ended up having to go the beggar route. The loading it pretty bad on the PS4 in Nurandavile or whatever that city is called.

I've just started scratching the surface of this game and good god - it is AMAZING. I can already tell it's going to be up there in my personal GOAT list. I feel like this game was made for me - it's like Elder Scrolls meets Red Dead which couldn't be a better combination for me.

I'm in Velen, and just took a boat across a huge sea to continue on this witch quest in a swamp. Before that I rode Roach aimlessly up a road and see this huge fucking city ahead of me, beckoning me to explore. I turned back, thinking I have more pressing matters to attend to, but I look forward to see what's happening there. I also have the Bloody Baron quest after this one, which I have not had spoiled for me other than hearing it's an awesome quest.

I played a bit of Witcher 2, but for some reason it never clicked for me. The combat felt a bit too complicated and the world more restricted and structure more linear than I prefer. I know some people don't like the simplified combat in this one but I think it's fun so far. Everything is more intuitive and fluid and while there appear to be lots of different ways to approach encounters and character builds it's not at all overwhelming. But the best part is how huge it is. I know I've only seen a very small chunk of the world of this game but it feels enormous while also feeling "alive." I love games where I can just wander and things happen, where I can hunt down materials to craft items and gear for hours, and I can loot dungeons and discover quirky hidden side quests. The story and dialogue are also excellent so far. I know it's early but I haven't found one fault in this game.

I got the Complete Edition so I'd have something to play for 100+ hours and I'm so glad I did.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
1.31 update out on PS4. About to Google now to find out what's updated.

*edit*

Corrects Arabic text in the expansions.
Corrects Turkish text.
Repairs holes in Vimme Vivaldi's new clothes.
Fixes long loading times in dialogues in the vicinity of Hierarch Square.
Fixes infinite loading screen occurring during the "Pyres of Novigrad" quest when following the thief.
Corrects credits.
(Origin) Fixes NPC lipsync issues

Lol, fixes the issue I had posted a couple of posts up. Oh well, worked out for me as I found someone to change my currency so it was for the best.

How do the two paid DLC packs work? If I start a new game with them purchased can I access them at the start of the game, or are they balanced for end game characters? How do you access the DLC quests?

Basically I just started a playthrough on PC (previously played 20 hours on PS4 but I find the improved frame rate on PC is making me enjoy the game a lot more) and I'm wondering if it makes sense to have the DLC right away?

How do the two paid DLC packs work? If I start a new game with them purchased can I access them at the start of the game, or are they balanced for end game characters? How do you access the DLC quests?

Basically I just started a playthrough on PC (previously played 20 hours on PS4 but I find the improved frame rate on PC is making me enjoy the game a lot more) and I'm wondering if it makes sense to have the DLC right away?
Iirc you can get the first quest for the DLCs on notice boards. You can buy them from the start but they're meant to be played when you reach a higher level. You can do them after you finish the main story for example. You'll notice which quests are from the DLCs as they have an icon of a different colour. So I suggest going through the game and then doing Heart of Stone and to finish it off Blood and Wine. Alternatively you can also start the DLCs in a "standalone" save, with a premade character, ready to tackle the challenge of the DLCs.

Sai

If you start a new game, you'll have the option to play one of the exlansions alone, with Geralt at a level and with equipment appropriate for each.

If you're playing the game normally, the expansions are best suited as post-ending content.

Greddleok

I started my second play through yesterday.

Damn the start of this game is almost perfection. It's SO good. It's such a shame that my GOTY vote last year was coloured by the rather weak and plodding ending.

I feel like if they had cut everything after
You find Ciri
, then the game would easily have been one of my favourite ever.

Coreda

It's such a shame that my GOTY vote last year was coloured by the rather weak and plodding ending.

I feel like if they had cut everything after
You find Ciri
, then the game would easily have been one of my favourite ever.

And miss the
battle at Kaer Morhen?
Was one of the highlights. While parts near the end were a bit meandering I felt
the Ciri Witcher ending
solidified my impression of the game as top-tier. I wouldn't have wanted that part any other way.

Greddleok

And miss the
battle at Kaer Morhen?
Was one of the highlights. While parts near the end were a bit meandering I felt
the Ciri Witcher ending
solidified my impression of the game as top-tier. I wouldn't have wanted that part any other way.

Nah, the BoKM is part of what I consider the ending. It's the culmination of what you've been searching for the whole time.

That's where I'd like it to stop though. The other stuff didn't interest me, and it felt like a great point for the game to end.

Top Bottom