• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Ugh, so I wanted to start a new playthrough with the expansions but the talk about improvements in the GOTY Edition make me hesitate.

What do?

Eusis

I'd guess those who own the game + both expansions will get the GOTY Edition for free while loyalty discounts will be offered to those who own just the game or the game + one expansion (stab in the dark: 50% off and 75% off, respectively).

I do wonder about console players, though. I think Dishonored: Definitive Edition was the first and thus far only re-release with a loyalty program on the console side (it was pre-purchaseable at half off if you bought the PS3/X360 version digitally), but at least now there's precedent.
It may just be one final big patch as the prior Enhanced Editions did, some extra feelie-type content, and when bought new comes with all the DLC. In which case you have the biggest piece right there (updated core game) just through a normal patch, and the consoles presumably faltered on the digital feelie front anyway.

I just finished the main story and I got the bad/shit ending WTF. The Triss ending didn't trigger either despite romancing her. Kinda pissed off I didn't get the best ending (which I looked up and now pretend like I didnt get the bad one).

So with Hearts of Stone and Blood & Wine is there any consequences/choices from getting the bad ending? Like will certain characters not appear?

Overall it was an excellent game, I really want to get into the books now because I feel like I missed so much of the games lore. Some of the story, I felt left out and clueless on info even though I played 1 & 2.

Cronen

I just finished the main story and I got the bad/shit ending WTF. The Triss ending didn't trigger either despite romancing her. Kinda pissed off I didn't get the best ending (which I looked up and now pretend like I didnt get the bad one).

So with Hearts of Stone and Blood & Wine is there any consequences/choices from getting the bad ending? Like will certain characters not appear?

Overall it was an excellent game, I really want to get into the books now because I feel like I missed so much of the games lore. Some of the story, I felt left out and clueless on info even though I played 1 & 2.

I got the 'bad' ending in the base game. I finished Hearts of Stone and I'm about halfway through Blood and Wine. I can't say anything changed because of my ending. They seem to be rather self contained. Although I can't speak for the latter half of B&W.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It may just be one final big patch as the prior Enhanced Editions did, some extra feelie-type content, and when bought new comes with all the DLC. In which case you have the biggest piece right there (updated core game) just through a normal patch, and the consoles presumably faltered on the digital feelie front anyway.

The GOTY Edition is a separate app, but CDPR is working on a patch for the current app, so it's certainly possible that everyone will receive the various gameplay improvements.

The God

Opt to free the spirit when completing The Ghost in the Tree

Thanks.

Question about the Baron's wife

Was Anna pregnant with twins? Geralt says she was with child when the crones kidnapped her, but before that I thought she already miscarried Dea?

Eusis

I've wondered if there's a distinct good/bad ending for that quest. You kinda lose either way.
A lot of them are up to personal interpretation, which I like about the Witcher games. Even if you cheat on looking up outcomes you usually will just want to do whatever feels right.

The God

I've wondered if there's a distinct good/bad ending for that quest. You kinda lose either way.

I just beat the quest after freeing the spirit. Man I have no idea what to think... I've done this quest before I restarted my play through earlier this year.
The first time I killed the spirit, just now I chose to free it. The way the downwarren village got massacred has me feeling shitty :(

The God

this fucking game lmao

Can I get some opinions on what you guys felt was the right choice (Freeing vs killing the spirit)

YoungFa

Thanks.

Question about the Baron's wife

Was Anna pregnant with twins? Geralt says she was with child when the crones kidnapped her, but before that I thought she already miscarried Dea?
She went to the crones before, to ask them to get rid of the baby in her. So she didnt have twins. Also she has another teenage daughter, which was with her during that night.

The God

She went to the crones before, to ask them to get rid of the baby in her. So she didnt have twins. Also she has another teenage daughter, which was with her during that night.

I know that, but I thought the story was suggesting there was a second baby besides dea that was miscarried, I just got confused. Been awake for a while lol.

So Anna gets pregnant >>> goes to the crones to get rid of it >>> fights with the baron >>> gets kidnapped by the fiend

do I have that right?

MadYarpen

Don't let anyone ruin it for you with a spoiler. Let's jus say it has no influence on HoS.

Please, do read the books. I cannot recommend it enough.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a save editor or equivalent for the PC version? I played on PS4, but I'd really like to play Blood and Wine on PC. I can't transfer the save, but I might be able to level the same build or something.

Raptor

Im still using the damn Viper swords after maybe 5 or more hours, or the game is not very looty or I just suck at finding shit?

I want to I dont know upgrade shit or get more badass stuff, my armor and stuff sucks.

Or maybe Im way to low level? Im level 9 or something lol.

Quotient

I haven't been a big complainer of the loot limit in Witcher 3, but over the weekend it became a big source of frustration.

Whenever you run in to bandits/pirates/deserters (which seems to happen often in Velen) you inevitably get a lot of loot off their body - swords, axes, etc - which of course immediately max out my loot limit. Now i have to quickly find the closet merchant or stash box. It is interesting the first 15 times you do it but now i am just find it a useless and boring mechanic. It doesn't help that the map doesn't correctly list the location of merchants or blacksmiths.

Is there a save editor or equivalent for the PC version? I played on PS4, but I'd really like to play Blood and Wine on PC. I can't transfer the save, but I might be able to level the same build or something.
Not sure about a save editor, but you should be able to use console commands for everything you might need.

Coreda

It doesn't help that the map doesn't correctly list the location of merchants or blacksmiths.

One of the issues the new 1.20 UI brought is due to the improvements and tutorial on world map filtering it gives the player the impression the map will display all available merchants/locations but that's not the case, it's just a reskin of the original world map which only displays certain locations when they have spawned nearby.

After a large looting session the options are basically continue on Roach completely, use your fists to punch the air then spam the roll key to trigger the fight roll animation as a method of travel, drop the loot in a sack somewhere then come back to it later, or fast travel to a merchant at the first opportunity.

Oh, or take the carry weight skill and pop a Fiend decoction. Can be annoying at times for sure.

Bolivar687

Banned
Has anyone had any experience with New Game Plus?

I read on Kotaku the enemies start at level 30, whereas I'm in the high 50s after finishing Blood and Wine. I don't want to craft potions again but it sounds like I might be better off starting a new game.

Quotient

One of the issues the new 1.20 UI brought is due to the improvements and tutorial on world map filtering it gives the player the impression the map will display all available merchants/locations but that's not the case, it's just a reskin of the original world map which only displays certain locations when they have spawned nearby.

After a large looting session the options are basically continue on Roach completely, use your fists to punch the air then spam the roll key to trigger the fight roll animation as a method of travel, drop the loot in a sack somewhere then come back to it later, or fast travel to a merchant at the first opportunity.

Oh, or take the carry weight skill and pop a Fiend decoction. Can be annoying at times for sure.

With regards to dropping loot for later pickup, it doesn't disappear after a period of time?

Ferrio

Banned
Up to 37 hours, probably the most I've sunk in a single player RPG in a long time. I'm pretty hooked. Still putzing around Novigrad at level 17, trying my hardest to ignore all the ?'s, but it's futile. Shouldn't be here much longer though, seems to be winding down but I've said that several times already in this zone so I won't hold my breath.

At this point the game is dead easy even on Death March. There was one part I was wearing dress clothes after a quest, and didn't even realize it during battles. Might just be more experimental with my skills since it doesn't seem like I have to min/max at all.

The God

Im still using the damn Viper swords after maybe 5 or more hours, or the game is not very looty or I just suck at finding shit?

I want to I dont know upgrade shit or get more badass stuff, my armor and stuff sucks.

Or maybe Im way to low level? Im level 9 or something lol.
When you come across a merchant, be sure to check if they're selling treasure maps. Those maps usually lead to Witcher gear. Do the hidden treasure quests too, check caves, check all the chests you across.

When you reach level 11 you'll be able to wear the Griffin armor.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I just beat the quest after freeing the spirit. Man I have no idea what to think... I've done this quest before I restarted my play through earlier this year.
The first time I killed the spirit, just now I chose to free it. The way the downwarren village got massacred has me feeling shitty :(

Yep, one of the lose lose situations in the game.

However, there is a way to save both:

You have to come across the tree BEFORE doing the Crones quest. If you choose to free it then, the children won't be killed nor will Anna die. However, Downwarren will still be massacred.

The God

Yep, one of the lose lose situations in the game.

However, there is a way to save both:

You have to come across the tree BEFORE doing the Crones quest. If you choose to free it then, the children won't be killed nor will Anna die. However, Downwarren will still be massacred.

Yeah I decided to go back and
kill the spirit
I couldn't help myself lol

Coreda

With regards to dropping loot for later pickup, it doesn't disappear after a period of time?

Depends on the platform I believe (console or PC). For PC it stays a very long time, in fact I can't remember any that have disappeared in all my time with the game (though I've heard some have, YMMV). For consoles it should be at least enough time to come back to a bit later.

Auctopus

Depends on the platform I believe (console or PC). For PC it stays a very long time, in fact I can't remember any that have disappeared in all my time with the game (though I've heard some have, YMMV). For consoles it should be at least enough time to come back to a bit later.

Some of my stuff on PS4 has been there for hundreds of hours. Stuff I dropped outside the blacksmith in Novigrad Square at Level 15 during my first playthrough was still there during Blood & Wine.

Raptor

When you come across a merchant, be sure to check if they're selling treasure maps. Those maps usually lead to Witcher gear. Do the hidden treasure quests too, check caves, check all the chests you across.

When you reach level 11 you'll be able to wear the Griffin armor.

Oh, very nice, I want that Cat Armor :p

The God

Uh, how do I get to Kaer Morhen? I'm level 13 trying to do the Wolf School gear quest, but I don't see a fast travel sign to get there

Quotient

Some of my stuff on PS4 has been there for hundreds of hours. Stuff I dropped outside the blacksmith in Novigrad Square at Level 15 during my first playthrough was still there during Blood & Wine.

I am playing on PC. I might just take that approach so as it prevents needless back and forth to a merchant/stash.

The God

Doing the Cat School gear quest, and after I got rid of the illusion under Temple Isle it looks like there's a second one with the same icon? Just a bug/ part of the first illusion? I'm assuming it's both since I can't use the artifact on it

Ok, so it seems like I either sold or dismantled the Kaer Morhen armor before realizing I could upgrade it (don't remember, searched the vendors and couldn't find it). Right now I'm level 7 doing the "Ladies of the Wood" quest. Is there another Witcher armor I could find right now?

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Is buying the Expansion Pass just basically buying both DLCs?

yep. it gets you both Hearts of Stone/Blood & Wine.

Ok, so it seems like I either sold or dismantled the Kaer Morhen armor before realizing I could upgrade it (don't remember, searched the vendors and couldn't find it). Right now I'm level 7 doing the "Ladies of the Wood" quest. Is there another Witcher armor I could find right now?

i wouldn't worry about it. you can only upgrade the chest piece once. you can't upgrade the gauntlets/boots/trousers.

there are much better sets out there. personally i went with the temerian set for most of the game which you can buy from the merchant in white orchard if you have the free DLC installed. about 80 hours in i started getting my wolven set which lasted me right into Hearts of Stone expansion where I found the Viper set which lasted me right up to the end of Blood & Wine expansion.

i wouldn't worry about it. you can only upgrade the chest piece once. you can't upgrade the gauntlets/boots/trousers.

there are much better sets out there. personally i went with the temerian set for most of the game which you can buy from the merchant in white orchard if you have the free DLC installed. about 80 hours in i started getting my wolven set which lasted me right into Hearts of Stone expansion where I found the Viper set which lasted me right up to the end of Blood & Wine expansion.

Thanks!! I'm not a very experienced rpg player, so I really appreciate the answer.

The God

Why didn't you switch when you came across something better?

Kind of a minor thing, and I absolutely love this game, but it's got to have the absolute worst "end of map" indicators I've seen in a game. The actual "end of map" line seems to be a lot closer than the in-game world map seems to indicate (the part you can scroll around on before having the cursor stop). I hate traveling/exploring on the end of the map (and there ARE some things at the very edge) cause you get that stupid text prompt telling you to go back all the time, and I swear I got it a couple times when a map icon was literally still further ahead of me. And to make things worse, it glitched my game today and forced me to restart (the screen kept flashing black like it was taking me to the map screen and wouldn't allow me to move). I honestly would've preferred out-of-place mountain ranges surrounding the map edge every direction than this.

But, as I said, it's a minor thing and this is still one of my favorite open world games ever.

Chairhome

Just started playing on PC and I'm loving it (it's helping me test out my new 1060 too!) any essential pc mods? Thinking about getting the camera mod (forgot the name).

Hope DLC goes on sale when the complete collection comes out... Bought the game during the last Steam Sale...

Coreda

Anyone have the PC patch notes for 1.23 and 1.24? I don't see them in the official news page, but apparently they've been released.

Coreda

So apparently the saved games from TW3 will not be compatible with the GOTY version..and the latter will comes its own set of achievements.

Only on consoles, since it's classified technically as a separate title on the system.

There's nothing that existing owners would need the GOTY version for though, is there? It's just the base game + expansions all in one.

Top Bottom