• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Just started my first proper playthrough and I'm playing without the HUD, and what would make it perfect is if I could see custom markers when using the Witcher sense. It would make HUD-less travel so much more convenient.

Coreda

Just started my first proper playthrough and I'm playing without the HUD, and what would make it perfect is if I could see custom markers when using the Witcher sense. It would make HUD-less travel so much more convenient.

I believe this is possible with Friendly HUD if you're on PC, if I'm understanding you correctly.

Thorgal

the only thing i find disappointing in the Witcher games is that we never got to visit Nilfgaard And the city of Golden towers .

we only ever see soldiers and Vip's from Nilfgaard but we never get to see and experience what daily live looks like there for the average Joe .

everything i read about the place makes it's sound like a more advanced nation compared to the northern realms .
something like Nilgaard is in the middle of the renaissance while the northern realms are still stuck in the middle ages .

maybe i am completely wrong on that but still .. i would have loved to see whether or not Nilfgaard is truly the soulless " no fun allowed " empire the games make it sound to be .

Mediking

Anybody else kinda disappointed that Ciri
never really finds a romance interest of her own?

There's a huge tease about it but nope...

Anybody else kinda disappointed that Ciri
never really finds a romance interest of her own?

There's a huge tease about it but nope...

I can't really see where it'd fit into the story, to be honest.
Plus she's young - I'm sure there's plenty of time for that in future installments!

Mediking

I can't really see where it'd fit into the story, to be honest.
Plus she's young - I'm sure there's plenty of time for that in future installments!

Hahah true but I just wanna see her happy and
desired/loved for who she is because she's awesome

I thought Ciri was like... 25?

Jesus. This is one of my biggest gaming forehead-slappers. I've been playing this for probably 20 hours, and I just learned you refill all of your potions, bombs and oils when you meditate and have alcohol in your inventory. I've been using these things very, very sparingly and probably just didn't notice when they refilled the handful of times I've meditated. I've been stopping by all of the merchants I find looking for a Swallow recipe since I knew I had it at one point and it seemingly disappeared.

This is going to change how I play so much.

So after I've crafted a potion, bomb or oil, I never have to craft it again? It always can just be refilled with alcohol?

In my defense, is this ever explained?

Mediking

Jesus. This is one of my biggest gaming forehead-slappers. I've been playing this for probably 20 hours, and I just learned you refill all of your potions, bombs and oils when you meditate and have alcohol in your inventory. I've been using these things very, very sparingly and probably just didn't notice when they refilled the handful of times I've meditated. I've been stopping by all of the merchants I find looking for a Swallow recipe since I knew I had it at one point and it seemingly disappeared.

This is going to change how I play so much.

So after I've crafted a potion, bomb or oil, I never have to craft it again? It always can just be refilled with alcohol?

In my defense, is this ever explained?

Yeah, Meditation is BRIEFLY explained in the tutorial. The first time you go to it... a brief explanation will pop up about it. I stumbled upon it because I realized that you can skip time because of it... which leads to refilling health and other good stuff.

DemWalls

Hahah true but I just wanna see her happy and
desired/loved for who she is because she's awesome

I thought Ciri was like... 25?

She should be around 23. She was 16 at the end of the books, the first Witcher takes place five years later (1270), and TW3 starts in 1272.

Never beat an Elder Scrolls game or a Fallout or any other huge RPG.
Never saw a game with maps so huge and filled to the brim with quests I wanted to partake in.
Never saw an open world this rich and so gorgeously rendered.
But somehow I finished this one. And left so much of the world unexplored all the same.
Because I actually cared about the characters, even though I usually don't.
Because I didn't know what to expect over the next rise or from the next conversation.
Because Geralt and crew had enough meat to their bones to draw me forward.

What a world. What a game.

Just a staggering effort. And while its still artistic ambition tied down by repetitive mechanics and sleight of hand, I'll always remember all the times this made me laugh, made me question my decisions, made me choose to stay aloof amidst human or bestial evil, and made me somber, or surprised or just curious or satisfied.

I would say I'm sad to see it end, but thank the Gods I still have DLC to return to at some point :)

What a trip.

Just finished Hearts of Stone

What a ride. The entire Von Everic timeline was unsettling af. The mansion was haunting and completely unnerving.
To realize that Iris's skeleton was still lying on the bed all this time and being guarded by that Caretaker. UGH. And those talking pets!!
Nightmare fuel.

Gaunter O'Dimm's theme playing throughout the expansion is pretty unsettling too.
It's clear that he's demonic and makes you sign his contract with no way out to take your soul, and he appears when you're lowest in your life and need most help. Of course Geralt of fuckin Rivia defeats him!
Felt like a super boss at the end, and glad I completed the optional quests.

Also, Vlodomir's
ghost inhabiting Geralt was seriously the greatest bit of Witcher 3 ever.

Just finished Hearts of Stone

What a ride. The entire Von Everic timeline was unsettling af. The mansion was haunting and completely unnerving.
To realize that Iris's skeleton was still lying on the bed all this time and being guarded by that Caretaker. UGH. And those talking pets!!
Nightmare fuel.

Gaunter O'Dimm's theme playing throughout the expansion is pretty unsettling too.
It's clear that he's demonic and makes you sign his contract with no way out to take your soul, and he appears when you're lowest in your life and need most help. Of course Geralt of fuckin Rivia defeats him!
Felt like a super boss at the end, and glad I completed the optional quests.

Also, Vlodomir's
ghost inhabiting Geralt was seriously the greatest bit of Witcher 3 ever.

The whole mansion part haunted me for quite a while. Not because it was scary but rather utterly sad.

I'm not sure where I saw it but what do I unlock or how do I upgrade my character that gives the great swordplay animations and what alchemy is supposed to really be useful?

Started to actually play through this now that I have a 1070, but had a quick question. I am starting The Crones mission,
I have found the ancient oak and found the spirit, what happens if I have killed it right away before meeting the crones
? I have beaten this misson before on ps4 and got the "good" ending I suppose.

MadYarpen

Started to actually play through this now that I have a 1070, but had a quick question. I am starting The Crones mission,
I have found the ancient oak and found the spirit, what happens if I have killed it right away before meeting the crones

there is no good ending in this mission as far as I know. Always someone gets fucked.

Thorgal

there is no good ending in this mission as far as I know. Always someone gets fucked.

Well,arguably the alternative ending is the bad one:

his wife dies and the baron commits suicide. The good ending leaves you with a relative hopeful conclusion to that part of the story at least .

MadYarpen

Well,arguably the alternative ending is the bad one:

his wife dies and the baron commits suicide. The good ending leaves you with a relative hopeful conclusion to that part of the story at least .

Right, I was thinking only about tree spirit part, i.e.
children for Crones' dinner vs entire village wiped out

Eusis

Right, I was thinking only about tree spirit part, i.e.
children for Crones' dinner vs entire village wiped out
My opinion:
fuck that village. I had to wrestle some between the children and the Baron's wife, but that village is enabling this nonsense of the crones.

Coreda

YO. Yo, yo. yoooo.

They quietly added both the Hearts of Stone and Blood & Wine OSTs in FLAC for free to the DLC extras tab!

Decided to search again for the FLAC version online in case anything had changed (since it was only previously available separately in MP3, or losslessly with a Tidal subscription), noticed the GOG store page state HoS comes with the FLAC soundtrack as an extra, was going to email GOG to ask if it's the HoS OST and not just the main game OST, when I booted up Galaxy and it's there under the Extras.

Bless 'em.

Jake2by4

My opinion:
fuck that village. I had to wrestle some between the children and the Baron's wife, but that village is enabling this nonsense of the crones.

Did this mission
the children are the only innocent one. The Baron is abusive man who drove his wife and daughter away. The wife for making the pact with the crones and the villagers from their bullshit dealing with them. And the fact the Tree spirit is the crones mom they locked away.

DemWalls

YO. Yo, yo. yoooo.

They quietly added both the Hearts of Stone and Blood & Wine OSTs in FLAC for free to the DLC extras tab!

Decided to search again for the FLAC version online in case anything had changed (since it was only previously available separately in MP3, or losslessly with a Tidal subscription), noticed the GOG store page state HoS comes with the FLAC soundtrack as an extra, was going to email GOG to ask if it's the HoS OST and not just the main game OST, when I booted up Galaxy and it's there under the Extras.

Bless 'em.

It's been a while, actually. Someone wrote it in this very thread, I think, that's how I found it out.

norm9

Just got to Velen and overwhelmed by the different enemy levels and the amount of question marks. Can I beat the game by sticking with just the main missions? There's almost too many things to do.

Just got to Velen and overwhelmed by the different enemy levels and the amount of question marks. Can I beat the game by sticking with just the main missions? There's almost too many things to do.

Yeah you can. Ignore (or even turn off) the question marks if you want. You'll get a lot of sidequests (and plenty of items) in normal due course even if you just pursue the main quest and check notice boards you come across. However, I have done lots of sidequests, and a number of them have been the highlights of my experience with game so far. So I would not recommend completely avoiding all of them.

I think the best advice is to just do what you feel like doing and not worry about which order, which areas you visit, how long you take to do something, etc. Just do what's fun and you'll be fine. The only exception to that is I wouldn't try quests with recommended levels that are significantly above yours.

One tip. Save before talking to strangers or walking up into drama. Sometimes you'll end up accepting quests that may be 10+ levels too high for you, and there is no "abandon quest" option.

Menthuss

Pro tip: Disable points of interest on the map. Trust me, it makes the game MUCH more enjoyable.

norm9

Thanks for the tips y'all. Everyone talks up the sidequests, but I think I'll only go after them if I encounter them as I beeline from point A to point B.

Thanks for the tips y'all. Everyone talks up the sidequests, but I think I'll only go after them if I encounter them as I beeline from point A to point B.
Just enjoy yourself. It's not a game that you can rush through, even if you wanted to, so don't bother trying. Just relax about it, take your time, and do whatever seems interesting to you at that moment. If things seem to become repetitive or boring, just try something else (from main missions/side missions/Witcher contracts/points of interest and exploration/Gwent).

MadYarpen

Some of the best sidequests branch from the main story line, so you will surely encounter them. Just make sure you finish them.

Hello Witcher-GAF. I recently started playing this game after reading the first 6 novels (sadly the 7th book doesn't have an official translation yet). Here's my impressions so far, posted in the Steam OT:

God damn you, FromSoftware.

This weekend I finally got around to starting The Witcher 3. It's by all means a great RPG so far - vibrant world, beautiful graphics, good side quests, good voice acting, cool setting (I read most of the books so it's even better when you know the backstory) - and I'm super excited to finally be playing it... BUT, the combat is just pitiful compared to Dark Souls 3. It feels weightless. It feels trivial. The stress of a challenging fight is only present on particularly tough mobs, and even then it's still nothing in comparison to fighting my first Lothric Knight. It goes without saying that it's light years away from being able to replicate the sheer adrenaline rush of fighting a Souls boss.

It's insane how unsatisfying other RPGs' combat systems are, once you've been introduced to the Souls games.
I found that turning the difficulty up helped as you had to be very cognizant of your surroundings, use all of your abilities, and be perfect with dodging.
Yeah right off the bat I chose the "Blood and Broken Bones" (Hard) difficulty, which I never do with new RPGs. But coming fresh off Dark Souls 3, my first experience with the Souls series, I'm feeling bold.
Following up on [my] previous post, another thing about TW3 that I've found particularly shocking, after being addicted to DS3 for the past ~6 months, is the over-the-top hand-holding minimap. My god, it literally gives you "point A to point B" directions for every quest, and on treasure hunting quests it even highlights the area where the treasure is! Lol. While I think Dark Souls is much too vague (some of those sidequests are obscure to the point of being ridiculous), TW3 is much too detailed. There is definitely a happy medium to be found.

Still an awesome game though.

I began to enjoy the game much more after turning off all the EZ-mode HUD options, and the combat has grown on me a little bit. I put most of my points into the sign abilities, since it makes the combat more fun when you mix up melee with spells. The alternate quen that lets you heal the damage you absorb is OP as hell btw.

Man, The Witcher 3 is almost overwhelmingly big! I've spent hours just roaming around the countryside on my horse, slaying shit tons of monsters and bandits along the way. Oh, and looting the shit out of every home I come across... but people don't seem to mind.

And today:

The Witcher 3 continues to grow on me. What a well-made video game. The voice acting and writing is so on point that I actually care about the outcome of the quests. I was upset for several hours last night because I fucked up and made the wrong choice in that Fyke Isle magic lamp quest. Reading the character entry for Anabelle afterward made me realize the magnitude of my fuckup (spoiler:
she spreads the plague across the entire kingdom and eventually causes its downfall
). The signs were all there yet I still got played like a fool! Man I was pissed.

At least I got to bang Keira Metz afterward. I'm pretty sure that's the first sex scene I've ever seen in a video game. It certainly was... something.

Phew, ok all caught up now. I think my biggest mistake at first was that I kept trying to compare this game to Skyrim. I guess it couldn't be helped, since Skyrim was my first big open-world WRPG and this is my second. As you can see I also can't help but compare the combat to Dark Souls 3, but tbh I think FromSoft has ruined me in that regard; they are just far-and-away the best video game developer when it comes to RPG combat/hitboxes. However, CDPR has seriously impressed me. They absolutely nailed the look for most of the characters (Yennefer and Ciri in particular). The devs clearly did their homework. Just in general I get the feeling CDPR really loved creating this game. It's a thing of beauty.

As far as my game progress in concerned, I'm in Velen and have finished the main quests and main sidequests here. For the Baron questline, I chose to
free the druid spirit and save the children, which sadly led to Anna's death and the Baron hanging himself. Still... I can't say it was the wrong choice, because saving children is more important. Although the druid did cause a massacre in the nearby village afterward, killing the children there... this game is harsh!
I'm gonna do some of the contracts and minor sidequests before heading off to see Triss in Novigrad.

Lanf

As far as my game progress in concerned, I'm in Velen and have finished the main quests and main sidequests here. For the Baron questline, I chose to
free the druid spirit and save the children, which sadly led to Anna's death and the Baron hanging himself. Still... I can't say it was the wrong choice, because saving children is more important. Although the druid did cause a massacre in the nearby village afterward, killing the children there... this game is harsh!
I'm gonna do some of the contracts and minor sidequests before heading off to see Triss in Novigrad.

Just did this quest as well on my second playthrough. It's a hard choice innit? There is an ingame book claiming the 'druid' is the
mother of the crones, and that they tried to kill her because she was even more evil than the crones themselves
. How trustworthy is the book though? Might be written by
the crones

Anyway, in the end I
killed the tree spirit/druid. We never knows what she will be doing after freeing her. She starts of by killing all the inhabitants of Downwarren, but where will she end? Also, I liked the baron. He really helped Ciri getting back on her feet and seems to show genuine remorse over his fucked up past.

Perhaps I'm just rationalizing my choices though. There obviously is no good or bad choice there.

Finally beat the main quest last week after taking my sweet ass time with the game. Bought the expansions and got through the Dead Man's Party quest last night.

Was anyone else put off by how hard the game wanted you to
nail Shani?
Felt like there barely was an option to insist that I'm living the dream with Yennefer.

Splinter

This is the first game in a looooong time that I've been obsessed with, I'm really liking it.

Any advice on when the best time to sail to Skellgie? I'm currently level 13, I've been saving up money for the $1,000 crown fee to sail.

So far I've

killed the haunted tree and told the Bloody Baron about his wife, he wants me to meet him and kill the crones

I just met King Radovid and my next quest is to go to Whoreson's place

I don't know what the best order is as far as quests go, when to do the main quests and when to do the side quests. I don't want to get ahead of myself or get behind.

Lanf

This is the first game in a looooong time that I've been obsessed with, I'm really liking it.

Any advice on when the best time to sail to Skellgie? I'm currently level 13, I've been saving up money for the $1,000 crown fee to sail.

So far I've

killed the haunted tree and told the Bloody Baron about his wife, he wants me to meet him and kill the crones

I just met King Radovid and my next quest is to go to Whoreson's place

I don't know what the best order is as far as quests go, when to do the main quests and when to do the side quests. I don't want to get ahead of myself or get behind.

I would finish both of those questlines (Baron/Novigrad) before moving over to Skellige, it makes more sense story wise that way and that is also the intended order. Isn't lvl 16 the advised lvl for Skellige? You should be around that once done with Novigrad mainline.

Wouldn't go out of my way for side quests, mix it up with main story. You can always come back for them up.

george_us

Has 1.31 completely borked anyone else's saves? This is the first time I'm playing in a couple of months and the loading screen just hangs there when I try to continue. When I start a new game, whether vanilla, Hearts of Stone, or Blood and Wine, it seems to load albeit slowly.

Ourobolus

Banned
So I am like Level 30 and about to start in the next section of the main quest
just defended Kaer Morhen

I'm doing an Alchemy build and I've pretty much used whatever skill points I want to use. Got all the Gwent cards (non-DLC) and all Alchemy formulae are complete.

Other than mutagens with the DLC and some other weapons, is there anything worth discovering?

tariniel

I think I'm really close to being done with Novigrad... there's so much there. I did most of the sidequests that I deem important; Triss, Dandelion, Zoltan, the only one I have left that I 100% want to do is the
Radovid assasination
one. Unlike with Velen, I've really had enough of Novigrad and don't plan to stick around to finish all the contracts and some of the other sidequests. In particular I'm really sick of the Novigrad music, it plays the same jingle for every quest it feels like. I hope Skellige doesn't have that dumb music.

I'm level 19 right now. Anyone able to give me a ballpark percentage of how far I am through the base games story?

Dead

well not really...yet
I think I'm really close to being done with Novigrad... there's so much there. I did most of the sidequests that I deem important; Triss, Dandelion, Zoltan, the only one I have left that I 100% want to do is the
Radovid assasination
one. Unlike with Velen, I've really had enough of Novigrad and don't plan to stick around to finish all the contracts and some of the other sidequests. In particular I'm really sick of the Novigrad music, it plays the same jingle for every quest it feels like. I hope Skellige doesn't have that dumb music.

I'm level 19 right now. Anyone able to give me a ballpark percentage of how far I am through the base games story?
55% id say if you haven't touched skellige at all

Ourobolus

Banned
So far I've been REALLY enjoying the DLC quests. Just the right amount of silliness and seriousness. The wedding night and the side quest with the bank are seriously incredible.

Man this game's quests are so good. The voice acting might be the best I've seen in any video game. Dijkstra's voice actor in particular; he absolutely knocked it out of the park, especially with that speech about how King Radovid was fucking up all the hard work he and King Vizimir had put in to make Redania a powerful kingdom.

I'm so glad I read the books (save the untranslated last one) before playing. Some of the dialogue is way more enjoyable when you know the backstory. Like at Lady Vedelbug's party where you see Dijkstra and he tells Geralt seeing him at parties makes his leg ache — in Time of Contempt Geralt broke Dijkstra's leg during a conflict that occurred after they attended a party. Got a chuckle out of me. But it also makes some of the deaths way more sad, like right when you enter Novigrad and that
doppler
is being burnt at the stake; he was a good guy from Sword of Destiny. :(

Also, I unlocked the alternate Quen shield and it's ridiculously OP. You pretty much will never die if you have decent stamina regen, which I do because most of my ability points are in the blue tree + I have that ability where every piece of medium armor gives me +5% stamina regen.

MadYarpen

Radovid assasination

you will love skellige. dont wait, you can always come back to novigrad anyway.

Splinter

Man I'm really loving this game. Just got it a 3 weeks ago and I'm already at almost 70 hours o_O which is more than I've played any game in years. I'm basically living an alternate life in this world.

Any more DLC expansions after the two? I haven't started either yet, I'm only on Act 1 of the main game. I'm already fearing beating it.

Also, I really screwed up and told Triss that I love her, and banged her in the lighthouse.. But if prefer Yen. Any way to salvage the romance with Yen? I haven't done her final romance mission yet.

Edit: Also, how long can I put off doing "The Last Wish" quest? I need some time (lol) to decide what I'm gonna do. I've read on some websites that you have to do it immediately afterward "Nameless" or else you miss your shot with Yen. I'm not going to progress the main quests, just plan on going back to Velen/Novigrad and finishing some side quests, but I don't want to fail the mission for making Yen wait too long or something. A few of the online guides mention a sense or urgency with "The Last Wish."

Top Bottom