• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Mikef2000

you can't walk right into the DLC .

the first DLC " Hearts of stone unlocks once you reach Velen but has a suggested level of 33 . it even has a Giant Banner on that quest telling you it is for the DLC .

The second DLC unlocks Once you finish the main story in Novigrad .

in both Cases the Game gives a nice pop up once they unlock too so you wont miss them .

Thanks for the info. Look forward to enjoying the game.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Thanks for the info. Look forward to enjoying the game.

Thes game's quest log is also very specific in showing what quests belong to each expansion.

valouris

So after trying to get into W3 for so many times I think it finally has its hooks on me. New PC letting me play it 60fps 1080p maxed out helped quite a bit. It is sad to see though that my input woes were not due to framerate, but the game is generally janky overall. It really clicked on me when I actually started using the over 9000 and the auto-loot mods, game is a much much much more fluid experience with these. These mods even allowed me to change from 2/4 to 3/4 difficulty. I am also using the one that shows you all quests on the map.

Are there any other mods with similar QOL improvements? I am tempted by the fast travel from anywhere mod, but it says it can break some quests, and I don't want to be in constant fear of breaking my save and losing progress.

Woah, I just lost my weapons to a couple of guards because I defamed a preacher of the church in Novigrad. They were not in their bodies. Where have they gone?? I didn't get any new quest to get them back.

Megasoum

Banned
So I finally decided to go back to the game now that I have a GTX 1080.

The game is running smoothly with everything maxed out which is great.

The thing is tho, I can't seem to get the brightness/gamma set properly.

The game is always way too dark. Especially indoor.

I prefer to play my games in Borderless but if I do that with this with Witcher building interiors are almost pitch black. If I go fullscreen then I can adjust Gamma but I have to move the slider almost all the way to the right to get a somewhat ok looking image.

JonnyKong

I finally sat down and played this today for about 4 hours. I don't know if any of you remember, but in my original post I mentioned that I normally don't play epic rpgs like this, find them overwhelming etc etc blah blah

Well anyway, so far I'm really enjoying it, way more so than I thought I would. I think what I'm enjoying about it is the slowish, laid back pace it has. I'm more than happy just galloping along on my horse, taking in the sights, going after all the "?" on the map.

At first I did find the inventory screen quite overwhelming, but the more I'm playing the more it's starting to make more sense. I've finally managed to craft some bombs, craft some potions, I've equipped some runes to weapons. (can runes be unequipped by the way? I couldn't figure out a way to do it). There is a hell of a lot of things to unlock on the skill branches which is a bit much, for now I'm just upgrading my sword attacks and fire attack as I'm using those the most.

Anyway, sorry for babbling. I just killed the griffin which was great fun so now I shall continue. Really glad I took the chance with this.

Also I seem to have a trillion things in my alchemy inventory, I've no idea what to sell or keep :-s

I finally sat down and played this today for about 4 hours. I don't know if any of you remember, but in my original post I mentioned that I normally don't play epic rpgs like this, find them overwhelming etc etc blah blah

Well anyway, so far I'm really enjoying it, way more so than I thought I would. I think what I'm enjoying about it is the slowish, laid back pace it has. I'm more than happy just galloping along on my horse, taking in the sights, going after all the "?" on the map.

At first I did find the inventory screen quite overwhelming, but the more I'm playing the more it's starting to make more sense. I've finally managed to craft some bombs, craft some potions, I've equipped some runes to weapons. (can runes be unequipped by the way? I couldn't figure out a way to do it). There is a hell of a lot of things to unlock on the skill branches which is a bit much, for now I'm just upgrading my sword attacks and fire attack as I'm using those the most.

Anyway, sorry for babbling. I just killed the griffin which was great fun so now I shall continue. Really glad I took the chance with this.

Also I seem to have a trillion things in my alchemy inventory, I've no idea what to sell or keep :-s

Just a tip, I think it's best to turn those question marks off and explore the world in a more organic manner. If you start chasing them down in Velen you'll get burned out quickly.

Over 25 hours in now, just finished Redania's Most Wanted

Officially the most time I put into any RPG, and it'll definitely be the most time I put into any game by next week

Does Firestream get more powerful once it's fully upgraded? It looks and feels awesome to use, but seems like it should do way more damage.

some casual Gwent action over the holidays :)

CyL4SdGUsAAVSsG.jpg

oh man I'm really enjoying my 2nd play through. I got the game of the year edition in the steam sale and since i played it the first time round I'm lucky enough to have purchased a titan x. This is a terrific looking game. Its so windy.

JonnyKong

Holy moly I just panned out the map for the first time in the second area 😱 there's just.. there's just so many noticeboards and question marks and and I'm going to... *powers down*

Holy moly I just panned out the map for the first time in the second area 😱 there's just.. there's just so many noticeboards and question marks and and I'm going to... *powers down*
Turn off the question marks. Best advice I've seen yet. It makes the exploration so much more enjoyable and removes the temptation to just run from marker to marker

Yeah, no question marks is the way to play. Makes exploration feel a lot more natural.

Officially the most time I put into any RPG, and it'll definitely be the most time I put into any game by next week

Does Firestream get more powerful once it's fully upgraded? It looks and feels awesome to use, but seems like it should do way more damage.
Firestream doesn't deal a huge amount of damage outright, but the burn damage adds up. It's super good against stronger foes and bosses, in particular. And against weaker foes, it lets you do stuff like this.

Focusing on signs makes TW3 a different game.

Think I found a weird bug. Currently on "Poet Under Pressure", attempting the optional Ask Dijkstra objective. But the game is directing me to the location where it's impossible to reach. Marker is at the Passiflora brothel, but even at the top floor, it's telling me the mission is above me.

Edit: weird, turns out that was the location for A Deadly Plot, but it was showing up for the other mission

stn

So I'm already in Velen. Is there a way for me to get the DLC armor? Oddly enough I couldn't find it in White Orchard even though I downloaded the 16GB update????

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member

I dont think i ever saw a spike in damage from firestream, but then again I always had a mixed build and under half of my mutagens were blue, so didnt get much of a sign intensity bonus, which i think makes most of the difference. While the damage was always respectable, i used it mainly for crowd control in conjunction with dancing star and dragons breath. Its just very satisfying to start fires and keep them going.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm already in Velen. Is there a way for me to get the DLC armor? Oddly enough I couldn't find it in White Orchard even though I downloaded the 16GB update????

You talking about the temerian armor set? The merchant near the main Inn where you first arrive with Vesemir should be selling it.

JonnyKong

I'm totally hearing what you guys are saying about turning off the question marks all over the map, I think I might do it later, but (for now) I don't mind them being there, and actually find them quite handy. I think I'd end up missing quite a lot of things if I don't have them on as I certainly don't have the time to explore every piece of map. In White Orchard for example, I found a great sword on the beach thanks to a ? which I certainly would have missed if the marker hadn't been there. Also, I don't want to miss those power things I draw from to get more ability points!

Wimps

50 hours in so far. Main quest has really picked up the pace. Also getting confronted by my choices in early game. This game is amazing.

tariniel

I just got credits on base game, 58hr 43min according to GoG's client. I had started off doing everything and then at some point decided to just pursue main story or sidequests related to main-story NPCs. If I went back and did more sidequest and contracts I could get AT LEAST another 20 hrs.

I have mixed feelings in general. I did actually cry 2-3 times though so the story did grip me enough to cause that kind of reaction. I'm glad that I played it and have no regrets as far as time spent.
My only complaint is that a lot of the quest design feels same-ish; it's all random caves and Witchers senses. That bit got a bit tired imo.

I do have all the DLC's so I'm not sure if I go straight into them or detour into another game for now.

I cried when I first found Ciri. They did just an amazing job of making me and Geralt believe she was actually dead, you could just see the raw emotion on Geralt's face and his body language. That's what got me here.

2nd time I cried near the end when I thought Ciri really did die - but I got the ending where she became a Witcher... and then I cried again out of joy that she was alive.

I'm a grown ass man crying at a video game. Feels good man. The only other games in existence to make me cry were FFX and Brothers.

Anyone else having issues with the game? My roommate and I have both been having the game crash and do the whole stuttering/distorted audio gig. If it was just one or the other I wouldn't think much of it, but since it was both I figured it might not be on my end.

tariniel

Anyone else having issues with the game? My roommate and I have both been having the game crash and do the whole stuttering/distorted audio gig. If it was just one or the other I wouldn't think much of it, but since it was both I figured it might not be on my end.

Mine has crashed at least 5 times per night the last 3 days; coincidence? I'm on PC playing on GoG.

illusionary

Amazon cancelled my order for the Dark Horse Triss figurine. :( My orders for the other four remain open, but I'm not hopeful.

Now, I can get Ciri, Yennefer and Eredin for £25-ish from eBay, but if I'm missing Geralt and Triss (which seem to be significantly marked-up) that rather takes away from the desirability of the set for me. Does anyone know of anywhere that I could get these two for a similar price, shipping to the UK?

I bought the Complete Edition for PS4 after losing my old TW3 disc when I lent it to someone.

I had no idea that the saves weren't compatible with each other :/

There goes my 60 hour + save at Skellige :/

Burt

Got this during the first day of the Steam sale, have already put... ... way, way, way too much time into it.

Really a fantastic game all around. I was worried about the complaints regarding the combat system that I've heard for the longest time, but I just can't see where those come from. CDPR did a great job of balancing Arkham-esque battle acrobatics with actual RPG systems.

My only real complaint is the dissonance between the story and the structure of the world. And I almost always hate people bringing up 'ludonarrative dissonance' because it's usually on the level of complaining about characters taking turns to hit each other in FFVII, which is basically the equivalent of never seeing people stop to take a shit in movies, but you can really feel it here. The overabundance of trivial side content hurts the main story, which itself already suffers from that recursive feeling of "Do this thing so this person will help you do that thing so that person will help you do THIS thing for THIS person so THAT person will help you do THAT thing that you asked him to do 16 hours ago, which was... uh..?"

All that'd be alright if it was woven into the overarching plot well, but most of it is compartmentalized away from it and the supposedly apocalyptic threat that I literally haven't heard from in dozens of hours. As great as the game is, I think it would've been much better off killing some (many) of its darlings and tightening its focus.

Nothing that hasn't been said elsewhere, I'm sure, but I had to get that out somewhere.

JonnyKong

I desperately want to get back on this, but I seem to be so busy lately :( all I want to do is help find that witches' magic lamp for her.

Sanctuary

Already finished the game one and a half times last year, but the most fun I had with it was through gwent. Replaying it now for the two big DLC additions, and I'm collecting gwent cards again.

Is there any reason aside from a change of pace to use any deck other than the Foltest Catapult deck? Monster decks can get some scary combos, but often they rely on luck, plus it takes a long while to get the cards you actually need to do anything with them. Similarly with the elves. Foltest starts out strong already, since it's the starter deck, and the cards for it also seem to arrive earlier than most of the rest as well. By the time you get a good Nilfgaard deck (second strongest IMO), you would have already had to have been winning with the Foltest deck anyway, so why stop?

I've played with all of the decks extensively, and Foltest just always comes out the most consistently broken.

Also, did they change the way guarded treasures work? When I played it upon release, I don't ever remember being able to sneak in and grab the treasure without the seemingly zone wide detection of the monster guarding setting off. Now however, I'm able to pretty much take whatever I want, whenever I want.

My only real complaint is the dissonance between the story and the structure of the world. And I almost always hate people bringing up 'ludonarrative dissonance' because it's usually on the level of complaining about characters taking turns to hit each other in FFVII, which is basically the equivalent of never seeing people stop to take a shit in movies, but you can really feel it here. The overabundance of trivial side content hurts the main story, which itself already suffers from that recursive feeling of "Do this thing so this person will help you do that thing so that person will help you do THIS thing for THIS person so THAT person will help you do THAT thing that you asked him to do 16 hours ago, which was... uh..?"

All that'd be alright if it was woven into the overarching plot well, but most of it is compartmentalized away from it and the supposedly apocalyptic threat that I literally haven't heard from in dozens of hours. As great as the game is, I think it would've been much better off killing some (many) of its darlings and tightening its focus.

Yep, it's one thing I cannot stand about any open world games where the main narrative is one of a sense of urgency, yet you decide to not bother with your main objective to play gwent, plough whores and look for frying pans. It's literally two different games at once. It's one reason I felt the pacing of TW2 blew TW3 out of the water. If TW3 had removed all of the "points of interest" entirely, trimmed the map to compensate and only focused on the main narrative and some of the best side quests, it would have been a much better paced game overall. There just wouldn't have been as much "shit to do".

I think those myriad side stuff fits the hunter/"ronin"-for-hire that Geralt is. Coin comes first, so him doing these jobs and tasks for money, plus this world being so big and in post-war disarray, makes those missions make sense

Not in this game it doesn't. It doesn't fit the narrative at all. Yep, he needs coin, and sure he's going to do something like slay a griffin, but too many of the activities in this game are absolutely filler material and completely hurt the narrative overall. Oh look,
our somewhat adopted daughter is in great danger, but who the fuck cares, not me, I want SOME MONIES!

Got this during the first day of the Steam sale, have already put... ... way, way, way too much time into it.
You're not alone. I'm somehow almost 50 hours in right now and I got Hitman around the same time. I haven't played anything else for the last 3-4 days

As for what you commented on regarding dissonance, I disagree a bit. I think those myriad side stuff fits the hunter/"ronin"-for-hire that Geralt is. Coin comes first, so him doing these jobs and tasks for money, plus this world being so big and in post-war disarray, makes those missions make sense

frontovik

Banned
Google search doesn't bring up much, so I'll ask GAF:

How do I switch the audio from English to German/French/Polish?

I get an option to change the subtitles, but not the audio. I'm using a North American (non-STEAM) PC copy.

Burt

Yep, it's one thing I cannot stand about any open world games where the main narrative is one of a sense of urgency, yet you decide to not bother with your main objective to play gwent, plough whores and look for frying pans. It's literally two different games at once. It's one reason I felt the pacing of TW2 blew TW3 out of the water. If TW3 had removed all of the "points of interest" entirely, trimmed the map to compensate and only focused on the main narrative and some of the best side quests, it would have been a much better paced game overall. There just wouldn't have been as much "shit to do".

"Two different games" is literally how I thought of it. The side content is like Witcher Simulator 2016, which is fantastic to play through and would be well worth a game on its own, but in the context of this game it's a bit "This is an open world game, ergo, it must have these things."

As for what you commented on regarding dissonance, I disagree a bit. I think those myriad side stuff fits the hunter/"ronin"-for-hire that Geralt is. Coin comes first, so him doing these jobs and tasks for money, plus this world being so big and in post-war disarray, makes those missions make sense
The jobs would absolutely make sense were Geralt in a situation where coin did come first, but what he's doing in the game is trying to catch up with his daughter to save her from the beasts of Hell Frozen Over. So, when (late Novigrad character/quest stuff)
Zoltan asks me to help him dig up a first edition Black Lotus to pad out his Magic the Gwentering collection
and the only response isn't "Bruh, seriously? My daughter? ...Remember?" - let alone the
haunted house clearings, arson investigations, fencing lessons for rebellious rich girls, searches for other people's missing sons/daughters/brothers/wives, and paint deliverys for freshly enlisted trolls to paint their literally useless boatfence (and I goddamn love the trolls in this game)
, to highlight a few of the checkmarks in my quest log - it really starts to hit home.

I'm not arguing against having a significant amount of side content overall, but I do think it would've gelled better if they had kept it above a certain contextual threshold, at least until the main quest is resolved. For instance, the Triss sidequest is a great high-pressure example that makes sense for Geralt to go out of his way. I'd say much of the Djikstra stuff hits the bar as well, and the
Roche
sidequests could've actually been expanded, from what I've seen so far.

Beyond the character-related quests, for the stuff that upholds Geralt's Witcher-ism, I think that the work that went into those aforementioned trivial quests ideally could've been thrown into making the monster contracts really substantial and epic, rather than what usually turns out to be "bounce between a minimap marker or two, find the red highlight, press A to fight the beast". The fights themselves are fun, but the journeys to them could benefit from some challenge and diversity.

But, then again, I'm pretty positive most RPGs have this exact same issue. I can't say why it hits me more with this game. Maybe it's the amount of trivial stuff. Maybe it's because I didn't expect this so I don't give it the pass I give stuff like Bethesda games. Maybe it's an unfortunate unintended side effect of the characters being generally better than what we usually get in games.

Sanctuary

Well fuck me, wish I had known Igni was nerfed into the ground since my initial playthrough. Firestream especially seemed extremely weak compared to how I remember it, and I just read about how they pretty much gutted the ability altogether.

Heads up for anyone (like me) who has the PC version on GoG but doesn't have the expansions, for the next 72 (more 66 hours now) GoG has them both for $20 total and if you have both the GOTY version will be added to your GoG library. Did they give people who had a Steam version of Witcher 3 a GoG version as well like they've done with other games?

https://www.gog.com/promo/20161130_special_promo_the_witcher_3_goty_upgrade

Someday I'll actually get around to playing W3... Only been a year and a half.

JonnyKong

Well fuck me, wish I had known Igni was nerfed into the ground since my initial playthrough. Firestream especially seemed extremely weak compared to how I remember it, and I just read about how they pretty much gutted the ability altogether.

Oh really? I've been using quite a few experience points on increasing this as well. :(

OG Kush

Just ordered the GOTY version for PS4. Probably been asked about a hundred times so don't want to take up too much of someone's time, but if anyone can link to or summarise good starting tips it would be much appreciated! Something that takes into account the changes the patches have made as well as I understand they've changed quite a few things.
Thanks!

Burt

Oh really? I've been using quite a few experience points on increasing this as well. :(

I don't know how powerful it was before, but it still works very well as a supplementary skill, especially with Armor Melting and then even more so later on with Superior Petri's Philter guaranteeing to proc the burn effect. I could see it being ridiculous if the damage was scaled up, because it'd basically just be an unlimited use bomb that comes out faster without any chance of hurting yourself.

Sanctuary

I don't know how powerful it was before, but it still works very well as a supplementary skill, especially with Armor Melting and then even more so later on with Superior Petri's Philter guaranteeing to proc the burn effect. I could see it being ridiculous if the damage was scaled up, because it'd basically just be an unlimited use bomb that comes out faster without any chance of hurting yourself.

Firestream used to be beneficial because the combat is terrible in general against encounters with multiple non human enemies. Instead of tossing Igni and hoping to stun 1-3 at a time so you can actually get more than a single slash off before having to play backwards hopscotch, you could just turn on sparkler mode and group fry a few at a time. Now though it barely does any damage at all, and the range seemed to be greatly reduced. On top of that, its main benefit of burning for crowd control was also severly nerfed to the point in which you'll be lucky to catch anyone on fire without Pyromaniac. Monsters anyway. It seems to still work "ok" against humans at least, but human encounters are ridiculously easy anyway. Bascially firestream was a way to circumvent most of the jank ass scenarios with combat. The combat never turns "fun", so it was a means to quickly get beyond it. Now it just sucks, and the standard Igni wave is more practical.

Also just found out that they also decided that 8 levels of torture wasn't enough, and that you need to suffer through another three before finally getting a legitimate silver sword upgrade, and armor in general. Griffin gear used to have a level 8 requirement, but now it's 11. The Viper sword doesn't count, since you pretty much get it at level 1 anyway. I don't understand the logic behind this either. It's not like any of the other gear from 1-8 (now 1-11) amounted to anything aside from a random chest piece and a random steel sword you might find. The loot was garbage before, and it's even worse now. There's nothing worth wearing except the set gear aside from very specialized "late game builds" (lol...).

Coreda

Griffin gear used to have a level 8 requirement, but now it's 11. I don't understand the logic behind this either.

They changed the level requirements for certain items in patch 1.07 when they added the Wolf School gear DLC, which is why everyone has that 'Wolven Hour' item in their inventory (it was an odd way of handling it but everyone survived). There was also a subsequent level tweak for the Venomous Viper gear for the expansions but that was only for the swords, can't recall if there were any other changes.

Can I still get the trophy for B&BB if I upgrade to DM then went back to B&BB?

Sign build makes things ridiculously easy at Lv20. Enemies (similar levels) can't even attack because they're always writhing in flame and my stamina regen is stupid fast. It's a far cry from when I began where each battle was a struggle and seeing even just 3 Drowners together made me nervous.

Jblanks

So I recently started Witcher 3 again because I bought the DLC. I beat HoS which was awesome but decided to explore and discover all the ? on the map. I'm down to one monster nest in Velen, it's the underground one that is next to another one. I remember this being part of a quest where rats came out, but it seems like I only destroyed one nest. Now the other one just has fog where it should be but no nest. Anyone run into the problem? Meditating didn't work, and couldn't find much on it.

Alastor3

I just want to know guys, even if there won't be a ps4 pro patch for W3, will people that have a ps4 before and now got a pro see some difference maybe just constant FPS ?

JonnyKong

Will I ever unlock the ability to attack whilst swimming? I just swam over to an ? in the the water, and got ruined by about ten drowners with no way of defending myself.

Top Bottom