• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

MadYarpen

Anyway, can't wait to start the expansions. Question for anyone that knows: should I start the expansions on my original save file or get to them on New Game+? I'm curious if the difficulty spike would make them less fun. I did have a problem late game in vanilla, where I felt way overpowered from getting 4+ levels higher than the plot required. Is there a consensus on when/how to enter the expansions?

Expansions are so much fun that I wouldn't wait for NG+ to be honest. Just set the difficulty to the highest and enjoy the ride. They are really really awesome.

And going through NG+ might burn you out maybe before the expansions? That's the question to yourself, but I'd just load the last save and start HoS asap.

xuchu

Anyway, can't wait to start the expansions. Question for anyone that knows: should I start the expansions on my original save file or get to them on New Game+? I'm curious if the difficulty spike would make them less fun. I did have a problem late game in vanilla, where I felt way overpowered from getting 4+ levels higher than the plot required. Is there a consensus on when/how to enter the expansions?

Definitely start the expansions on your original new game save as they should be level appropriate for you. If you wait till new game+, you're probably going to have to do a majority of the main story quests (as that's the only real way to gain exp quick) till you're level appropriate for the expansions in new game+. As the poster above said, don't be afraid of death march difficulty as it's only really hard from levels 1-10.

MadYarpen

Definitely start the expansions on your original new game save as they should be level appropriate for you. If you wait till new game+, you're probably going to have to do a majority of the main story quests (as that's the only real way to gain exp quick) till you're level appropriate for the expansions in new game+. As the poster above said, don't be afraid of death march difficulty as it's only really hard from levels 1-10.

Though HoS IS harder than vanilla game. But definitely that's the only difficulty to play on.

Buntabox

Though HoS IS harder than vanilla game. But definitely that's the only difficulty to play on.

Ha! My first playthrough was actually on Sword and Story.... I never found it difficult and one of the few times I died was from dashing off a ledge at Kaer Morhen as Ciri. Or accidentally falling off a cliff in Skellige.

I ended up starting a NG+ last night, but just got to the Baron and I'm on Blood and Broken Bones. Not finding a spike in difficulty really.

Just bought Hearts of Stone and it's downloading now. I think I'll go back to my original save as suggested and crank the difficulty all the way. Might as well. Does having my original save on S&S mess with any of the achievements for HoS on Death March?

I tried using alchemy and fast attack but felt like I wasn't doing as good as I did with my sign build. I got the enhanced griffin armor and swords so I feel a little good about moving forward. Any general skills useful? What should I put into my quick attack section besides the first quick skill?

Im re-playing this as i got the game of the year edition in the last steam sale. Love the game, restarted a play through but didn't realise the suggested level for the DLC would be so high. I take it i should do the DLC before finishing the main game? Im finding doing the main story missions the best way of levelling up. were they ment as NG+ as the level requirement seems high.

Im on pc and it looks like ps4 pad is now supported, i like how the light bar changes colour depending on what mode you are in. Looking forward to getting to the DLC.

Coreda

Restarted a play through but didn't realise the suggested level for the DLC would be so high. I take it i should do the DLC before finishing the main game?

For HoS you can if you want, though most complete it after the main game. For B&W it's definitely recommended to start it following the main game and HoS for story reasons.

Vitor711

Does anyone here know of an article that described why they instantly repopulated the villages once you cleared them of monsters? I remember reading about that a while back, and the reason they gave was to do with players being able to more easily see the impact they had directly, otherwise they'd forget what they did.

Can't find the article/video for the life of me though.

witness

Been playing this again as I didn't get too far in blood and wine. I forgot just how much I love this damn game, its so incredible and my game of the generation. I took off the entire week after Christmas and plan marathoning the shit out of this.

Coreda

Enriched dimeritium plates?! How? They're so expensive...

I crafted around 90% of the materials used for the grandmaster set I made since I had enough of the components from the existing playthrough. Still cost a bit but buying the premade stuff is steeper.

His price for the plates from the shop: 4573 Crowns, crafting it: 448 Crowns.

The ore needed to craft the enhanced dimeritium ingots cost 112 each (I currently have a surplus of the stuff necessary for crafting it), while the ingots cost 224 a piece to craft.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Am I correct in that W3 is not getting a Pro patch on PS4? I am a few dozen hours in, but its been about 2 months since I last played, and debating on whether to buy the collection on PC and start fresh, DLC included, or keep going on PS4. A Pro patch would make me more likely to stay on PS4.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Am I correct in that W3 is not getting a Pro patch on PS4? I am a few dozen hours in, but its been about 2 months since I last played, and debating on whether to buy the collection on PC and start fresh, DLC included, or keep going on PS4. A Pro patch would make me more likely to stay on PS4.

Yeah, it's not. CDPR moved on completely to Cyberpunk 2077

xuchu

I crafted around 90% of the materials used for the grandmaster set I made since I had enough of the components from the existing playthrough. Still cost a bit but buying the premade stuff is steeper.

His price for the plates from the shop: 4573 Crowns, crafting it: 448 Crowns.

The ore needed to craft the enhanced dimeritium ingots cost 112 each (I currently have a surplus of the stuff necessary for crafting it), while the ingots cost 224 a piece to craft.

Yeah just spent a good deal of time, upwards of an hour, on big crafting session just for the components. Finally have my sweet grandmaster ursine gear.

cs0X5T2.jpg

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
What is the best way to make money once you reach Velen? I imagine searching for this will get me old, out of date information.

xuchu

Is there a good guide to keep track of quests, missables and important things in each location?
What is the best way to make money once you reach Velen? I imagine searching for this will get me old, out of date information.

Gosunoob has a pretty detailed quest database and you can filter it based on world map, level and such. As for money early on in the game, do the monster hunts and always try to haggle as even the base rate is 20-30% higher than you get if you accept the contract immediately. Try to get roach saddlebags to increase your inventory limit as well as you can sell more gear that way as well. The horse race quests should give you saddlebags for free. Have fun.

http://www.gosunoob.com/witcher-3/witcher-3-quests/

KingBroly

Banned
The Expansion Pass is $15 on GOG. Probably $15 on Steam too.

I haven't played the game in a few months, nor have I beaten it. Should I?

Coreda

EDIT: GOTY edition? WTF is this? Why'd this pop up?

It's just the regular base game, expansions, and free DLC all rolled into one. It doesn't add anything new. If you already have the base game it would be cheaper grabbing the expansion pass on sale.

I should probably add this to the FAQ, in case anyone reads it.

It's just the regular base game, expansions, and free DLC all rolled into one. It doesn't add anything new. If you already have the base game it would be cheaper grabbing the expansion pass on sale.

Don't forget, that for console owners. TW3 base edition and complete edition are two different sku's with different save files and differant trophies.

KingBroly

Banned

It's GOG, is all. It just gave me another version of the same game for some reason.

The only reason I have it on GOG is because of my graphics card.

Coreda

It's GOG, is all. It just gave me another version of the same game for some reason.

The only reason I have it on GOG is because of my graphics card.

Huh, I knew GOG gifted me a copy of the GOTY for already owning the base game + expansion pass (not that it was necessary), but you're saying they gifted you a separate GOTY version free without previously owning the expansions?

If that's the case you should already have the expansions. The save files are also compatible between Steam and GOG AFAIK (not sure if you currently have the Steam or GOG version installed).

Don't forget, that for console owners. TW3 base edition and complete edition are two different sku's with different save files and differant trophies.

Yup, thanks for reminding me.

Buntabox

While I love The Witcher 3, I swear to god it has some of the fucking creepiest children models out of any videogame ever lol.

Their creepy adult-lite faces isn't helped by the jarringly bad voice acting. That first kid Ciri meets is insufferable.

Its really odd considering the quality of the rest of the voice acting and characters (I still think Triss isn't great though).

ParityBit

I am a little confused about something. I have the Steam version of the game

Okay so I grabbed http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=29013&start=260 and replaced my exe with it. I am not sure how to tell if I am using the newest version. I grabbed the top one ... which I think is the one I would want. I can also just grab the one listed above too.

Also, I am trying to install http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/365/? but it also mentions I should use http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/m...ods.com/witcher3/ajax/modfiles/?id=2134&pUp=1

Should I install all 3 and go with it? I just want to play today! :)

Stormus

The quality of writing in the obscure books you stumble across is also top-notch.

Tide
Whenever I watch the tide recede
Cold coils of fear grip round my heart.
Will the seas sneak back, calm and sure
In the dark of night, as they have before?
Or will they stay on distant shores
Leaving crushed shells and washed-up dreams
As memory of surfs of yore
?

ParityBit

I am a little overwhelmed with the skills. I have 7 points and only used one so far. I guess you can respec somewhat ... but I hate gimping myself totally. Any suggestions?

I am a little overwhelmed with the skills. I have 7 points and only used one so far. I guess you can respec somewhat ... but I hate gimping myself totally. Any suggestions?

What difficulty you on? I always start with buffing my fast attacks and then axii. After that I usually buff strong attacks, fast/strong crit, igni, etc...Later in the game I usually respec and go a little more into Alchemy. It's really up to you and there is a lot of build you can do. If you are on death march and are having trouble, I would invest into quen. Also, if you want, the last tab in the skills menu has some pretty good general skills that can help you early on. Play around with it and decide what play style suits you the most.

Sakura

Does any one know if it's possible to buy the expansions from a different region PSN store than the region of your game?

Does any one know if it's possible to buy the expansions from a different region PSN store than the region of your game?

Yes but they won't be compatible with your base game. Game and dlc region must match.

It can work in some cases. If the game is UK (region 2) but you bought the dlc from Aus (region 4), that will still work since both are PAL.

Same case for USA and Canada (both region 1).

However, US game and EU dlc will never work and vice versa.

Sakura

Yes but they won't be compatible with your base game. Game and dlc region must match.

It can work in some cases. If the game is UK (region 2) but you bought the dlc from Aus (region 4), that will still work since both are PAL.

Same case for USA and Canada (both region 1).

However, US game and EU dlc will never work and vice versa.

Thanks.

ParityBit

What difficulty you on? I always start with buffing my fast attacks and then axii. After that I usually buff strong attacks, fast/strong crit, igni, etc...Later in the game I usually respec and go a little more into Alchemy. It's really up to you and there is a lot of build you can do. If you are on death march and are having trouble, I would invest into quen. Also, if you want, the last tab in the skills menu has some pretty good general skills that can help you early on. Play around with it and decide what play style suits you the most.

Thanks! I am on the "normal" setting I guess. Not too easy, not too hard.

WeTeHa

I just started playing yesterday, finished white orchard and did a couple of quests in velen. Loving it so far.
Started on death march difficulty, it's really not all that difficult so far. Died twice against the werewolf in one of the velen sidequests (fuck that regeneration) other than that I only died against way stronger enemies with skull icons just because I felt like testing what they do.

I do not understand Gwent.

Haha yeah. I only did 3 games so far and won all of them, but I have no idea how. I have no strategy, just throw out a bunch of cards and hope for the best. Somehow it worked out so far.

ParityBit

I am thinking I may bump the difficulty. I am on Story and Swords and I think I may move to the Broken Bones. is there that much of a difference? Actually. .... what is the difference?

Edit: I also find myself walking everywhere and not using my horse. Is that wrong?

illusionary

I am thinking I may bump the difficulty. I am on Story and Swords and I think I may move to the Broken Bones. is there that much of a difference? Actually. .... what is the difference?
Higher difficulty levels give reduced experience rewards, increased enemy health and increased enemy damage.

Edit: I also find myself walking everywhere and not using my horse. Is that wrong?

Of course not! You'll take longer to travel that way, of course, but more chance to take in the world and you may be more inclined to explore if you're on foot.

I actually think Death March is the only way to play the game. It makes you focus more on using all the tools that you have (oils, potions, decoctions). Even on DM though, after you start getting the Witcher Gear sets, the game becomes pretty easy still.

I walk a lot as well. A lot of stuff to loot and the world is gorgeous. Take your time and let it all sink in.

ParityBit

So I am level 6 and I am still running around with the level 1 and 2 Witcher sword. is that normal? I cant tell if anything I find it ever better .... just doesn't seem it.

Top Bottom