• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

What a nice armor design...Lol :D

zAbym9.png

"I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of my hater muffs."

slop101

Banned
Can't wait for the next Witcher game, starring
Ciri
!

But first, two big DLCs, right?
Since the first one is hitting this fall, was there any info at E3 about it?

Denton

Ciri
!

CDP had no presence at e3, they were there unofficially. Maybe gamescom.

boskee

Ciri
!

I'm not so sure about it, because it'd be pretty hard without having to disregard player choices made in TW3 (and yes, I know CDPR has a track record when it comes to that, but it never concerned such big differences) and because
she is just too damn powerful.
I guess the only way would be to do
a sort of prequel that would show Ciri growing up and getting to the point we found her in The Witcher 3. That would be cool
. Whatever they decide to go with, I really hope they have a predefined protagonist again. They can leave character creation/customization to Cyberpunk 2077.

Nope, no info except that the core team is on vacations, and those who aren't are already working on it. The first one is supposed to come out in October. Perhaps you can find out more from this interview that Daniel Bloodworth conducted with CDPR's CEO: http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/dptqhk/the-witcher-3--wild-hunt-e3-2015--co-founder-post-mortem

DToneli

Neo Member
Ciri
!

I would love to play as Ciri , she is so damn poweful by the end of the game, BUT
depending on you choices she possible died fighting the White Frost,

Branson

Blah. Getting really burnt out about 55 hours in. In Skellige now but I'm just trying to mainline the story since novigrad took so god damn long. Love the game but I'm feeling the burnout a little bit.

Ark

Blah. Getting really burnt out about 55 hours in. In Skellige now but I'm just trying to mainline the story since novigrad took so god damn long. Love the game but I'm feeling the burnout a little bit.

I had a similar thing, I just took a break for a week and I was hooked again.

Dreathlock

My small review after 100 hours:

Pro:
- Great visuals! Runs perfectly fine on my 780 gtx. No crashes!
- Awesome music
- The world size is insane. Best open world feeling i ever had.

Cons:
- Loot Loot Loot. Everywhere. You cant do 3 steps without looting 143 Items. Of course 99% of all loot is completely useless. After a few hours you have like a thousand items in your bags and you dont even know what to do with it.
- Controls. Absolutely horrible. Clunky. Not responsive. Horrible. I stopped using the horse because it was unplayable while riding it.
- Some dialogs seem endless. On a few occasions i almost felt asleep while NPC were telling me boring stories, for endless minutes.

All in all i would recommend it if you play it for the story and ignore sidequests, loot, alchemy and character progression. These things are useless are imo wasting your (the players) time.
I dont think i would play it again. :( Massively overhyped in my opinion.

Whatever they decide to go with, I really hope they have a predefined protagonist again. They can leave character creation/customization to Cyberpunk 2077.

If anything, The Witcher 3 proves that "AAA production values" and character customisation do not go together at all, imho. Geralt being such a strong character is one of the main reasons why the game's narrative and its world are so engrossing. Replacing him with a customisable character would break the entire game.

I think customisation only works when you don't have a fully voiced and animated main character. It's simply impossible from a production standpoint to do dialogue writing, voice overs as well as character modelling and animation to such an extent that it covers all possibilities of highly customised role playing. This is only feasible in text-heavy games that do not have "cinematic" production values (e.g. Pillars of Eternity, Fallout 1 & 2, etc.). If you try to do this in an "AAA environment", you'll just end up with a Hollywood movie where the main character is played by a piece of cardboard. Case in point: Dragon Age: Inquisition.

I haven't played a game in a few years but all the talk on Giant Bomb's podcasts about the Witcher 3 have me considering it (I loved Skyrim).

Is there a big difference between the PS4 and Xbox One version? I don't have either console yet but will pick up one of them..

I kind of hate
playing as Ciri. I've only had a couple of instances so far through my 25 hours where I've fought wolves and the big wyvern thing with the baron, but I kind of hated it. Felt like a cheap dumbing down of the more strategic gameplay that's present when you play as Geralt. I'd rather they just told the story through cut scenes.

Really my only complaint so far. Oh and how you can only fast travel from signs.

I haven't played a game in a few years but all the talk on Giant Bomb's podcasts about the Witcher 3 have me considering it (I loved Skyrim).

Is there a big difference between the PS4 and Xbox One version? I don't have either console yet but will pick up one of them..

PS4 has the slight advantage in terms of IQ, and I believe framerate is somewhat more consistent. Overall though, you're fine with either version, so just pick the console you like best.

slop101

Banned
I would love to play as Ciri , she is so damn poweful by the end of the game, BUT
depending on you choices she possible died fighting the White Frost,
I'm not so sure about it, because it'd be pretty hard without having to disregard player choices made in TW3 (and yes, I know CDPR has a track record when it comes to that, but it never concerned such big differences) and because
she is just too damn powerful.
I guess the only way would be to do
a sort of prequel that would show Ciri growing up and getting to the point we found her in The Witcher 3. That would be cool
Like I mentioned in my earlier post, I'm pretty sure that the ending with
Ciri becoming a Witcher
is canon - having watched all the endings, that's the one that just feels the most... right.

As far as gameplay - I'm pretty sure they'd change up the mechanics if she's the lead, and keep her from being over-powered like she was in this game.

Mostly, I just really like Ciri as a character, and want to see more of her development that they started with W3.

CDP had no presence at e3, they were there unofficially. Maybe gamescom.
Yeah, like boskee says above, those who aren't on (a much needed) vacation, are too busy working on updates the DLCs, which bodes well, I guess.

Pro:
- Awesome music

Cons:
- Loot Loot Loot. Everywhere. You cant do 3 steps without looting 143 Items. Of course 99% of all loot is completely useless. After a few hours you have like a thousand items in your bags and you dont even know what to do with it.
- Controls. Absolutely horrible. Clunky. Not responsive. Horrible. I stopped using the horse because it was unplayable while riding it.
- Some dialogs seem endless. On a few occasions i almost felt asleep while NPC were telling me boring stories, for endless minutes.

All in all i would recommend it if you play it for the story and ignore sidequests, loot, alchemy and character progression. These things are useless are imo wasting your (the players) time.

Im sorry but this is a pretty terrible review.

If you don't want to loot you don't have to - but most of the items are used in crafting.

The writing in the game is fantastic - I have about 45 hours and can't think of a boring conversation that I had. Maybe your attention span is just low?

And telling people to ignore sidequests? The sidequests in this game are terrific and many are better than main quests in other RPGs.

I don't want to say the game is without flaws or that you can't criticize it, but most of your points seem really off base.

Ciri becoming a Witcher
is canon - having watched all the endings, that's the one that just feels the most... right.

As far as gameplay - I'm pretty sure they'd change up the mechanics if she's the lead, and keep her from being over-powered like she was in this game.

Mostly, I just really like Ciri as a character, and want to see more of her development that they started with W3.

Yeah, like boskee says above, those who aren't on (a much needed) vacation, are too busy working on updates the DLCs, which bodes well, I guess.

Eh, I consider the
Empress
ending canon. She actually weighs both options, and decides that being
Empress
is the best course of action. In the
Witcher
ending, she never gets the chance to decide since you never took her to see
Emhyr
, which basically forces her to pick the only choice available to her.

slop101

Banned
Eh, I consider the
Empress
Empress
Witcher
Emhyr
Like I said, the
Witcher ending
just feels more right - the way it was presented. The other one was too bittersweet to feel right. Also, if you think about it logically, if they do another Witcher game without Geralt as the lead, who the hell else is going to be the lead if not Ciri? Fucking Lambert?

Although, speaking of Lambert, a good idea for DLC would be Lambert's adventure/romance with
Keira Metz
- but I don't think that would warrant it's own game.

DToneli

Neo Member
Ciri becoming a Witcher

I got the same ending, and I agree it feels "the most correct" for me

slop101

Banned
Eh, I consider the
Empress
Empress
Witcher
Emhyr
I also wanted to add, I feel that
taking her to Emhyr is making the choice for her instead of letting her do her own thing - she could've gone to Emhyr on her own anytime - who would stop her? She wouldn't have met with him if you hadn't forced her to.

DToneli

Neo Member
Eh, I consider the
Empress
Empress
Witcher
Emhyr

I think she could have gone by herself if that is what she really wanted, she had already faced
Emhyr and was completely against the idea of being a Princess, not say then Empress, even though he was her father she hated him, and all we cared about was having someone with his blood to inherit him

Like I said, the
Witcher ending
just feels more right - the way it was presented. The other one was too bittersweet to feel right. Also, if you think about it logically, if they do another Witcher game without Geralt as the lead, who the hell else is going to be the lead if not Ciri? Fucking Lambert?

Although, speaking of Lambert, a good idea for DLC would be Lambert's adventure/romance with
Keira Metz
- but I don't think that would warrant it's own game.

I would actually prefer we don't play as Ciri, Lambert, or Eskel. I'd like to play as a Witcher from one of the other schools. Maybe Viper or Griffin. Also, have it take place in Kovir so I can see what
Geralt & Triss are up to ;)

I finished up The Lord of Undvik last night. Probably one of my favorite quests in the game. I loved the build up to the
the Giant reveal, rescuing Hjalmarr's man, meeting the insane bastard on the boat and then freeing the loon from the cage. The vistas on the island were breathtaking to boot which just added to the overall atmosphere of the quest.

My only real complaint at the moment is that I was a bit over-leveled so the final battle was a tad easy (and I'm playing on the highest difficulty). That's really the one complaint that's pervasive throughout the 80+ hours I've poured into this at the moment. I feel pressured to get some of the side quests done in a specific order because I'm out-leveling them really quickly even when I decide to ignore the main quest.
I finished the Skellige quests off and am off to get Uma.

Along with that, I really dislike that you can only have two potions quick slotted. I've created a vast array of useful concoctions but I don't use half of them because I have to trot into the menu every five seconds to do so. They really need a radial menu for potions,etc.

UCBooties

So I just started this last week and I'm doing the broken bones difficulty. For the most part I like the feeling of needing to research and prepare for monster encounters but now that I'm out of White Orchard I don't seem to be able to give myself much of an edge. I've tried to kill the Shrieker four times now and the best I've managed is to get it down to half health. Part of the issue is that I haven't managed to make any decoctions yet despite having a fair number of recipes. I also need to find more recipes for oils if I'm going to be Monster hunting but I haven't had any luck finding the beast or draconid oil recipes yet.

I'll also admit that I am having difficulty with money since most loot doesn't sell for much. I'm trying to shore things up by playing Gwent against a blacksmith I can reliably beat.

I think she could have gone by herself if that is what she really wanted, she had already faced
Emhyr and was completely against the idea of being a Princess, not say then Empress, even though he was her father she hated him, and all we cared about was having someone with his blood to inherit him

I also wanted to add, I feel that
taking her to Emhyr is making the choice for her instead of letting her do her own thing - she could've gone to Emhyr on her own anytime - who would stop her? She wouldn't have met with him if you hadn't forced her to.

I don't really think Geralt forces her, he mentions it and she refuses to decide herself, instead has Geralt make the decision. There was no forcing involved.

In regards to the meeting. Yes, she was upset with
Emhyr
at first. but the dialogue at the end of the game suggests that she gave both options a lot of thought. She even tells Geralt that she
wouldn't be able to make a difference as a Witcher, and is better off bringing about change from a position of power.

DToneli

Neo Member
So I just started this last week and I'm doing the broken bones difficulty. For the most part I like the feeling of needing to research and prepare for monster encounters but now that I'm out of White Orchard I don't seem to be able to give myself much of an edge. I've tried to kill the Shrieker four times now and the best I've managed is to get it down to half health. Part of the issue is that I haven't managed to make any decoctions yet despite having a fair number of recipes. I also need to find more recipes for oils if I'm going to be Monster hunting but I haven't had any luck finding the beast or draconid oil recipes yet.

I'll also admit that I am having difficulty with money since most loot doesn't sell for much. I'm trying to shore things up by playing Gwent against a blacksmith I can reliably beat.

The recipes are randomly placed for each person's game so it's hard to give you the exact location of each one but I found this link that might help, it tells you where you mind find/buy each oil recipe and the ingrdients for them. And everybody had problems with money in the beginning of the game

http://thewitcher3.wiki.fextralife.com/Oils

Pro:
- Awesome music

Cons:

Uhhh, so don't loot everything you see? This is so, so stupid to complain about. I started the game looting a lot of things to prepare for alchemy and crafting, but then after I have what I need I pretty much just loot alcohol and money.

Controls are clunky in a lot of places yes, but not horrible, far from it. At least after you have learnt the game a little.

This game also has one of the best written set of side quests and stories EVER. You were unable to enjoy it, too bad, but advising other to skip side quests in this game is criminally wrong.

I can understand when people complain about the combat or controls, but saying that the dialoque are borings, side quests are boring are just baffling.

slop101

Banned
I don't really think Geralt forces her, he mentions it and she refuses to decide herself, instead has Geralt make the decision. There was no forcing involved.

In regards to the meeting. Yes, she was upset with
Emhyr
at first. but the dialogue at the end of the game suggests that she gave both options a lot of thought. She even tells Geralt that she
wouldn't be able to make a difference as a Witcher, and is better off bringing about change from a position of power.
See, as cheesy as it might sound, Ciri's strength came from her believing in herself. They were pretty explicit in how your choices with her built up her belief in herself because they were all choices strengthening her independence. Her
becoming an empress
runs contrary to that independence. It's like a weight on her shoulder rather than the freedom she's always sought. Sure, her
becoming Empress
is the more "mature", responsible decision, but it's just not what the character had been building to. YOU might make that personal decision, but
Ciri would not, not with the proper guidance from Geralt
. Same thing with
Triss
. The entire series and characters have always been about
Geralt and YEN. You, personally, might be more attracted to someone like Triss, but you're playing as Geralt, and he's a Yen-man!

axb2013

I though I maxed out my love for the game by the time I got to Velen but it keeps impressing the more I keep playing.

Yen vs. Triss... So tough. I set my mind on Yen when I first started.
Once I had finally moved the story forward enough to reach Novigrad, I visited Triss's house and recognized her clothes on the ground... Then I found the rose of remembrance.
I finally caught up with her in Novigrad wit her DLC outfit. I don't know how I resisted when that timed prompt came when she almost fell and I caught her. Saying goodbye at the docks wasn't easy either.
Something so memorable about the moment captured here:

sffssj9r9h.jpg

I stuck with Yen though. I guess Yen having more presence in Ciri's life helped make the decision
Carnal sins quest got me riled up, I was raging to make a certain character pay. Overall, the game managed very well to get me to care about what's happening in it's world.

I cleared all the notice boards as soon as I could and I'm doing side quests as they appear before moving the story forward. I like how characters have a few extra lines so that even after they "no longer matter" they have dialogue options left after the quests.
I just finished the side quest that sets Yen up as "the one" and started the main quest that took us to Kaer Morhen, got up to level 62.

Branson

Uhhh, so don't loot everything you see? This is so, so stupid to complain about. I started the game looting a lot of things to prepare for alchemy and crafting, but then after I have what I need I pretty much just loot alcohol and money.

Controls are clunky in a lot of places yes, but not horrible, far from it. At least after you have learnt the game a little.

This game also has one of the best written set of side quests and stories EVER. You were unable to enjoy it, too bad, but advising other to skip side quests in this game is criminally wrong.

I can understand when people complain about the combat or controls, but saying that the dialoque are borings, side quests are boring are just baffling.

It's not bad or boring. My current problem is that it's exhausting. That's on me though. I feel like I play all day (like noon to midnight) and barely make any progress.

MilesTeg

Banned
My game ended up getting bugged somehow. When you kill an enemy, they don't fall to the ground, they stay in the air dead. Was happening with every enemy, in fact I'm pretty sure I got a couple videos of it. Pretty dumb looking. Doesn't matter if I restart or whatever, it's there forever.

Another bug I got was with the camera. Camera would zoom in to Geralt very close, almost like a Gears of War or Resident Evil view, except centered. Then when you got on the horse, it would be a first person view. I was literally running around on horse in first person. I mean it looked pretty cool, but ultimately made the game unplayable. Think I got a vid of this too. PS4 version BTW.

Ended up trading this in as I completed everything I wanted to, and the killing people bug looked really stupid.

Caja 117

I been playing on and off the game because of the little time that I have but Yesterday I finished the Towerful of Mice sidequest, just this sidequest alone disagree with the notion of avoiding the Sidequests.
That plot twist gave me chills

Coreda

So apparently Buckthorn is available underwater... It's like the one ingredient I had no idea where to find.

Amon-Lau

So apparently Buckthorn is available underwater... It's like the one ingredient I had no idea where to find.

How did ya get it during the prologue then...? o_O
Unless you meant then, but still the herbalist lady tells ya where it is... :p

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I cleared all the notice boards as soon as I could and I'm doing side quests as they appear before moving the story forward. I like how characters have a few extra lines so that even after they "no longer matter" they have dialogue options left after the quests.
I just finished the side quest that sets Yen up as "the one" and started the main quest that took us to Kaer Morhen, got up to level 62.

I'm sure there is a typo somewhere, because that's literally impossible to achieve unless you used some mod.

j-wood

I have a question regarding the saves in this game. The wording about being incompatible with earlier patches makes it confusing and I want to check.

I'm about to upgrade the HDDs in my PC, which means I'll need to reinstall W3. I should just be able to make a backup of my saved games, put them in the right spot on the new HDDs and carry on right?

Radec

What kind of armor is geralt wearing in the main title screen?

I'm sure there is a typo somewhere, because that's literally impossible to achieve unless you used some mod.

Isn't the lvl cap 70?

And there's an exp exploit aswell.

misho8723

Banned
Description of the DLC quest from Gamespot:
"Explore a forgotten village and discover its terrifying secret. Find out who or what slaughtered its inhabitants and use all your witcher skills to confront this mysterious force."

After you apply the latest Witcher 3 game update, you'll find a new witcher contract in Oreton village. Inhabitants of the nearby city of Honorton are struggling against a monster known as a "spook." It's your job, as usual, to save the day.

This quest is free DLC number 15 of 16 planned add-ons. The final free content will be released next week.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/this-weeks-free-witcher-3-dlc-revealed/1100-6428499/

Coreda

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I think I've finally been afflicted with the infamous xp glitch. It seems all quests give me a whopping 5 xp. This still hasn't been fixed!? X1 by the way

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What kind of armor is geralt wearing in the main title screen?

Isn't the lvl cap 70?

And there's an exp exploit aswell.

Even if the lvl cap is indeed lvl 70, the most you can get is lvl 36-37-38 once you finish all quests and contracts.

Haven't heard of this exploit, but i don't see the point of getting up to lvl 62... you'll have a hard time finding enemies who are higher than lvl 32 in this game.

Arjen

I think I've finally been afflicted with the infamous xp glitch. It seems all quests give me a whopping 5 xp. This still hasn't been fixed!? X1 by the way

You sure those are not gray quests? Quest way under your level only give 5xp

Hell yes, give me that cat school DLC. I hope it'll be an interesting quest where you met a cat school witcher, but I won't keep expectations too high considering it's just a small free DLC and given how the previous quests have been.

The xp glitch was patched ages ago, and if you were hit by it, you wouldn't get any experience at all.

Your are getting 5xp because you are doing grey quests, far below your level.

Top Bottom