• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

cslesce

Beat Witcher 3 (PS4) over the weekend. Probably one of my favorite games of all time. I went #TeamTriss but regretted it in the end. Geralt is ment to be with Yenn.

So since I'm going to replay it and go #TeamYenn this time I decided to snag the PC version just to play it on a different platform. And um... holy shit. The difference in the PC and PS4 version is almost generational. After spending 150+ hours on the PS4 version the differences are immediate. Load times cut by 90%, framerate, textures, menu performance and overall engine performance. I should have bought the PC version from the start.

Anyone else play both versions and have the same feeling?

keyboard + mouse or gamepad use?

Regarding Cave of Dreams,
my opinion is the complete opposite: I thought it was terrible. This master witcher that has defeated hordes of powerful monsters and masses of bandits and who has worked for kings and emperors got defeated by a random, offensive group of villagers. And Geralt just gives up. There's not even a dialogue choice to deal with the situation. And then you couldn't even use Axii on the madman. Geralt would've died right there and then were it not for the fact that there was a mission for him. The whole situation just made me angry. If I had more choice, it would've played very, very differently.

Hmm, gotta agree with you there. I enjoyed the quest immensely simply because it kept unraveling.
But absolutely, the fact that they prevent you from saving the guy by having Geralt take forever to get up (from a villager pushing him no less) was infuriating.
I restarted that checkpoint a few times just to
see if I could stop him from dying
, but nope! It's an odd moment of no freedom of choice, that's for sure.

Dammit man, now you have me re-evaluating my opinion of the mission!

Sai

This is one of those games that seems better played with an analogue stick for movement. I haven't played with a keyboard & mouse, but there are preset, toggled paces for walking and running, right? I like having control over how fast I make that transition, rather than pressing a button to go back and forth.

Would love to use a mouse for that crossbow, though. Probably the biggest reason I avoid aiming with it via long press.

[EDIT] - Which reminds me, anybody use the Logitech G13, or the alternative from Razer for Witcher 3, or other similar games?

Regarding Cave of Dreams,
my opinion is the complete opposite: I thought it was terrible. This master witcher that has defeated hordes of powerful monsters and masses of bandits and who has worked for kings and emperors got defeated by a random, offensive group of villagers. And Geralt just gives up. There's not even a dialogue choice to deal with the situation. And then you couldn't even use Axii on the madman. Geralt would've died right there and then were it not for the fact that there was a mission for him. The whole situation just made me angry. If I had more choice, it would've played very, very differently.
Completely agreed.
I get that they were trying to stress how some clans fiercely disliked outsiders, how unfair things could get, but considering how Geralt uses Axii to resolve some of the most trifling matters, what exactly was stopping him from quelling those two idiots in the tavern? Not like it's the only point in the game that kind of goes against the grain, so to speak, but due to the circumstances you're forced into I couldn't help but feel a lil' upset about it myself.

Coreda

This is one of those games that seems better played with an analogue stick for movement. I haven't played with a keyboard & mouse, but there are preset, toggled paces for walking and running, right? I like having control over how fast I make that transition, rather than pressing a button to go back and forth.

There are in effect three speeds: one is a slow, casual pace that is perfect for a walk-and-talk with characters and for taking in the scene; the second is a medium pace toggled with Ctrl; and the third is sprint mode enabled holding Shift that consumes stamina.

Frankly it's such a solid control scheme for PC I've never felt to change anything. Analog sticks will always allow for smoother transitions though, and I can see how it would benefit for movement.

Sai

There are in effect three speeds: one is a slow, casual pace that is perfect for a walk-and-talk with characters and for taking in the scene; the second is a medium pace toggled with Ctrl; and the third is sprint mode enabled holding Shift that consumes stamina.

Frankly it's such a solid control scheme for PC I've never felt to change anything. Analog sticks will always allow for smoother transitions though, and I can see how it would benefit for movement.
Yep, that's what I thought. It's like that for a lot of PC games, and it's that transition from the slow to medium paces that I like to have more control over.

Nothing beats aiming with a mouse, but analogue sticks are still the best for character movement, I feel.

Xiao Hu

Definitely one of my GOATs. The writing, world building and to a certain degree the immersion put the recent TESs back into the shame corner. Such a well crafted master piece deserves to get its season pass purchased. I especially liked the norse/celtic themed Skellige, wish that more games caught that ambiente right
looking at you, Skyrim

Coreda

Patch 1.07 Coming Soon

As some of you may know, we are finishing up work on our next big patch, Patch 1.07. It’s a very large update introducing some key changes, including:

A new, alternative (optional) movement response mode for Geralt.
A player stash for storing items, available in various locations throughout the game. Stash locations are marked on the player's map.
Crafting and alchemy components no longer add to the overall inventory weight.
Books are now placed in a dedicated tab in the Inventory and books that have already been read are properly grayed out.
Multiple sorting options are now available in the Inventory.
Alchemy formulas and crafting diagrams can be "pinned", meaning all components and ingredients required to make them will be conveniently marked in the Shop panel.
Dozens of fixes for quest related issues, both major and minor.
A few performance enhancements, including the optimization of FX, scenes and general gameplay.
Various improvements to horse behavior.

Since it's been all hands on deck working to finish and release this patch on time, we won’t be publishing a free DLC this week (don’t worry - free content comes back next week). We hope you understand our decision. We’ve gathered so much feedback from you over the past couple of weeks and we want to implement as much of it as possible. The full change list for the patch 1.07 will be coming later this week. Stay tuned for info about the release of the update itself.

Awesome news. Cheers to lashman for the heads up.

Damn. Some of those fixes may sound minor but are things that improve experience a lot and are things I've been asking for all this time. Too bad that I've already beaten the game :/

Those patch notes are absolutely wonderful especially the player stash, alchemy items not using up weight and the optional movement.

These are developers who definitely listen to their gamers. Movement and player stash has been one of the most requested features, and they actually added it.

I am definitely going to wait for this patch before venturing further. Started my new playthrough and almost got out of White Orchard.

Trojan

CDPR said:
Patch 1.07 Coming Soon

As some of you may know, we are finishing up work on our next big patch, Patch 1.07. It�s a very large update introducing some key changes, including:

A player stash for storing items, available in various locations throughout the game. Stash locations are marked on the player's map.
Crafting and alchemy components no longer add to the overall inventory weight.
Books are now placed in a dedicated tab in the Inventory and books that have already been read are properly grayed out.
Multiple sorting options are now available in the Inventory.
Alchemy formulas and crafting diagrams can be "pinned", meaning all components and ingredients required to make them will be conveniently marked in the Shop panel.

Dozens of fixes for quest related issues, both major and minor.
A few performance enhancements, including the optimization of FX, scenes and general gameplay.

Thank the Skellige Gods for those UI updates, that's almost my only major complaint with this game. I spend so much time in that menu screen and these seem like solid additions.

I would also like to an option to immediately cut into and out of the merchant screen if someone is a trader. Enough of the small talk, just SHOW ME YOUR WARES guys.

tee-hee.gif

Absolutely wish I had that when I started the game.

I wonder. Did it actually ruin the overall immersion and fun you had in this otherwise amazing title without all these changes? It sure didn't for me.

Those added things are basically extra's for people who want to play through it a second, third etc. playthrough. There was nothing inherently wrong with the game.

J4g3r

Loving those 1.07 patch notes, so nice to see a company taking their community's feedback to heart.

I think I sold part2 of wolf gear diagram without reading it.

Am I fucked? :c

The diagrams for the weapons and armour are still in the world, you'll just have to look up a guide to find them without the quests.

Coreda

The diagrams for the weapons and armour are still in the world, you'll just have to look up a guide to find them without the quests.

Or buy it back from the merchant, assuming one can remember where it was sold. I believe they keep them, right?

Sai

Those patch notes sound great. I bet The Price of Honor chest bug was fixed, and I just finished it yesterday. :p

I like all the inventory changes, except for the crafting and alchemy ingredients no longer adding weight; with the storage chest they didn't really have to go that far. :/

misho8723

Banned
New movements for Geralt? What? :D Who does such a things with a patch? :D..

Oh man, the people in CD Projekt RED :) ... and thank god for the separate tab for books..

And I really hope that they are going to increase the number of slots for alchemy potions, because only 2 of them is really annoying

Dawg

Loving those 1.07 patch notes, so nice to see a company taking their community's feedback to heart.

Whew, thanks :c

Sai

And I really hope that they are going to increase the number of slots for alchemy potions, because only 2 of them is really annoying
Number of slots should've increased the better your armor got. It's how they did it in the previous games, anyways.

Coreda

I like all the inventory changes, except for the crafting and alchemy ingredients no longer adding weight; with the storage chest they didn't really have to go that far. :/

Mmm. Having no weight detracts from the already thin suspension of disbelief with weight management :p

Sai

Until I got the vast majority of my Superior Bombs/Oils/Potions, I only kept up to 10-15 of each ingredient, along with all Witcher gear, and I was able to prevent myself from becoming over encumbered most of the time. So long as you keep those saddlebags upgraded, you have a ton of leeway when it comes to weight management.

This, and the bomb/oil/potion replenishment are two things I hope are eventually changed, at least through mods.

Rootbeer

Banned
wow they are finally going to patch the inventory problems...

A very good thing but also incredibly FRUSTRATING knowing I've been playing this game for over 100 hours and only NOW are they patching in some stash points in the game... grrr.

Here is something they need to add while they are at it: when in a shop and looking at the wares for purchase, if you highlight an item it should tell you how many you have in your own inventory. Can't tell you how much time i've wasted because of this oversight.

I lost a set of griffin gear because I dropped it near a shopkeeper thinking it would stay there. but later learned that when you go to another 'zone' and return it removes all that stuff. Good thing it wasn't anyting too important (I prefer cat or wolf)

squidyj

Is that the one in Northern Skellige? Yeah, that one is a bitch because he is a much higher level.

It's not even his level, I went there at 32 and got 1-shot and then he 1-shot himself off of my reflective shield, like..... Imlerith didn't hit that hard.

I'm 50 hours in and just after
having sex with Yenneffer at the wake
in Skellige but I've barely scratched the surface in White Orchard or Novigrad. Should I go back there and do more stuff? I don't want to be rushing it.

Coreda

I lost a set of griffin gear because I dropped it near a shopkeeper thinking it would stay there. but later learned that when you go to another 'zone' and return it removes all that stuff.

So that's what triggers it. Noted it in the OP but wasn't sure the conditions the game would clear existing dropped items, having read that players experience disappearing item drops from time to time while others find that numerous hours go by without being affected.

zer0das

Banned
I'm 50 hours in and just after
having sex with Yenneffer at the wake
in Skellige but I've barely scratched the surface in White Orchard or Novigrad. Should I go back there and do more stuff? I don't want to be rushing it.

I'd say so. If anything, you want to revisit White Orchard to find places of power if you haven't already. There's quite a few of them, and they all should be a breeze to get at this point. I'm about 50 hours in and haven't even finished half the Novigrad stuff either.

Philippo

Any tips for someone who just started, especially regarding skills, alchemy and also food management?

Also: is it true that i have to buy all the Gwent cards in White Orchard during the prologue?

Lunar15

I wonder. Did it actually ruin the overall immersion and fun you had in this otherwise amazing title without all these changes? It sure didn't for me.

Those added things are basically extra's for people who want to play through it a second, third etc. playthrough. There was nothing inherently wrong with the game.

Uh, this is one of my favorite games of all time, but think I have the freedom to say that I wish I had quality of life improvements when I started.

Alpende

Shiiit, sorting inventory was something I desperately needed and now it's here. But I've finished the game. Still, it's useful for my NG+ playtrough.

Any tips for someone who just started, especially regarding skills, alchemy and also food management?

Also: is it true that i have to buy all the Gwent cards in White Orchard during the prologue?

You don't need to buy them all. Once the original vendor that sells them leaves, another will take her place. The only thing Gwent related that is mandatory is the match against the Oxenfurt professor for the Zoltan card. You can come back at any time for the rest of them.

In regards to alchemy, the only potions I ever deemed essential were Thunderbolt(extra damage), Cat(see in the dark, though the torch is more atmospheric), Swallow( faster health regen than any food item), and the different oils for the different enemies. You can dabble with decoctions, and bombs, though I never found them essential.

In regards to Skills, I consider Quen, Igni(stream only), and Axii to be essential. Everything else will depend on your preffered playstyle(heavy or light armor, preference for fast or heavy attacks, etc).

Voror

Think I might wait to continue until the patch is out, which sounds wonderful in what it's changing and adding. Pretty much covers all the problems I was having.

Trying to figure out how to proceed in regards to the whole business with the Bloody Baron since I finally decided to just wrap that up before moving on.
I know that if you free the tree spirit before meeting the Crones, you can avoid the Baron and Anna dying. That ends up leaving it a choice of letting the village be destroyed or the children dying.

I read the book "She Who Knows", so I've got an idea of what the spirit actually is, so I'm not sure letting it out will end up being a good thing in the long run or not.

Klocker

To someone who has finished the story, without spoilers please... How far into the story am I approximately if I have just...

taken Uma to Kaer Morhen and helped yen and Lambert prepare ?

To someone who has finished the story, without spoilers please... How far into the story am I approximately if I have just...

taken Uma to Kaer Morhen and helped yen and Lambert prepare ?

I'd say another 12 hours. The game really starts picking up in regards to player urgency after this point.

Uh, this is one of my favorite games of all time, but think I have the freedom to say that I wish I had quality of life improvements when I started.

Wow dude. No need to be so defensive. I asked you an legitimate question no need to react like that. I was truly wondering.

Top Bottom