• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Lunar15

Wow dude. No need to be so defensive. I asked you an legitimate question no need to react like that. I was truly wondering.

Ah, your post came off as fairly defensive and I was kind of shocked at that. If you were legitimately asking a question, then no, it didn't really ruin the experience, but yeah, it would have been nice and saved some time for me in the long run. I probably would have had an even more favorable opinion of the game than I do now.

Euron

Finally got around to beating
Zoltan
at Gwent.

We tied 3 times before I won. I never really gave Gwent too much of a shot after getting to Novigrad for the first time but now I'm almost halfway through Act 3 I think and the game is trying as hard as possible to keep me from finishing it.

I wonder how they're going to justify Geralt going on an adventure in Toussaint, when he's supposed to be looking for Ciri.
I assume it will have something to do with needing
Fringilla's
help with something. Every hub seems to have a major
Sorceress.
Then you get wrapped up with local business, as usual.
Although she's in Nilfgaard's custody in this game, the stratagy guide has a letter from Fringilla to Yennifer that says she won't see her in Vizima because she has to deal with something in Toussaint. So my prediction is she's not actually in their custody until the end of the expansion.

Exentryk

Nice list of changes coming in 1.07. Be interesting to see how the movement changes feel. And moving the books out of the potion tab is very welcome. No longer scrolling endlessly to use that Cat Potion or White Honey or other decoctions.
If they also fix the "Aparian Phantom" contract bug, this will be a gold update for me.

Repost for new page,
Shani looks beautiful
header_586x192.jpg

Ah, they hinted about Shani being there in Oxenfurt academy in one of the quests, so good to see her.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Shanni's appearance was a given, hopefully they will make her romanceable too.

Still hope they find a way for Iorveth to appear in one of the expansions. The Scoi' atael are pretty much non existant in the W3, which makes me a bit worried about him

What is up with some yellow notice boards that when i check them they dont have any contracts or anythig that seems suitable for me really and when i just take everything to calm my OCD it doesnt give me any new quest or contract? At least the notice goes back to being white i guess...

Luftwaffle

Neo Member
Another "how far am I into the story?" question

I just finished
the fight with the Crones as Ciri and the huge Wild Hunt guy as Geralt. Now I'm on the quest "Final Preparations"

I'm guessing fairly close to the end? I'm currently
level 31 and there's gear that is level 40+ for some reason.

xezuru

What is up with some yellow notice boards that when i check them they dont have any contracts or anythig that seems suitable for me really and when i just take everything to calm my OCD it doesnt give me any new quest or contract? At least the notice goes back to being white i guess...

It means the board is updated, even when it's only silly background lore stuff.

Exentryk

So, after having played this game for over 200 hours, and still having the last 20% to go, I think I can comment on the game's loot system:

In a game where enemies don't scale (level wise), this is how the loot system should have been:
- Equipment does not scale
- Equipment drops in chests and from enemies are not random
- Equipment has fixed levels and stats (Diagram based equipment can have changing levels though, see below)
- Player can use whatever level equipment they find at whatever levels without penalties
- There should be crafting diagrams for all equipment, and these should have adjustable levels. (Example - One should be able to make level 15 Assassin's Gauntlets if they are level 10, or level 45 Assassins's Gauntlets if they are level 40, with the SAME diagram. Being able to craft +5 levels higher gear should be good. Cost can be high for those.)

With these changes, players will be in control as to when and what equipment they want at what level. The only thing required would be to find the diagram for that equipment. Since these diagrams will no longer be random drops, and can be controlled via story and quest events, it should be easy to manage. You would also have another control measure in the form of master smiths and master armorers that will be required to make the good stuff.

This system also encourages exploration and gives people the satisfaction of killing stronger monsters and doing tougher quests early, because the rewards might be a 10 level higher sword, which is certainly higher than craft able items. Right now, you do a level 24 quest and get a sword two levels below you thus making the reward entirely useless.
This also adds more of a cost sink as people might want to update their craft-able gear after every level, or few levels.

In the end, this makes the world persistent. Enemies don't scale, equipment doesn't scale, and the world is independent of the player's levels. Players have more control, and the system overall is more satisfying.

Note: When I say equipment has fixed stats, that doesn't mean that all swords become unique. I mean a level 24 enemy should guard a level 24 Viper Sword, while a level 10 enemy should guard a level 10 Viper sword, etc.

Those 1.07 patch notes sound fantastic. The inventory changes in particular are a godsend on consoles. The storage options are great too, no longer will I have to sell off cool looking weapons and Armour :)

So since I'm on patch 1.06, the quest exp bug should be fixed right?

I just finished the "Missing Persons" main quest and did not receive a single EXP through that quest. Am I still bugged? what the hell?

I just finished the "Missing Persons" main quest and did not receive a single EXP through that quest. Am I still bugged? what the hell?
If the suggested level of the quest is more than 5 levels below your current level, you'll only receive 5 XP for it. Some quests apply the XP at weird points during the quest too (e.g. at certain midpoints, but not at the end). I haven't seen any XP issues get mentioned since the patch that fixed it, so it's probably nothing to worry about and you did get the correct XP you were owed.

If the suggested level of the quest is more than 5 levels below your current level, you'll only receive 5 XP for it. Some quests apply the XP at weird points during the quest too (e.g. at certain midpoints, but not at the end). I haven't seen any XP issues get mentioned since the patch that fixed it, so it's probably nothing to worry about and you did get the correct XP you were owed.

No I was level 20 and the recommended level for the quest was 15 (it was green). And I've been getting the 5 exp for greyed out quests, so does that quest just not have an exp reward? That doesn't seem likely.

Exentryk

Yeah, I don't think there was ever any EXP bug at all in this game. The devs tailored EXP such that if you were overlevelled for the quest, you didn't get EXP.

So people that complain about not getting EXP should just get on with it. You're already overlevelled, and you don't need more EXP. This is how the game is designed to be.

Trojan

Yeah, I don't think there was ever any EXP bug at all in this game. The devs tailored EXP such that if you were overlevelled for the quest, you didn't get EXP.

So people that complain about not getting EXP should just get on with it. You're already overlevelled, and you don't need more EXP. This is how the game is designed to be.

I think that was the dev's intention as well and it makes sense, but as a player it sends a confusing message if I'm used to getting XP for everything and then it suddenly stops. I think they could have just communicated to this player better using an in-game explanation and the whole "bug" perception could have been avoided.

Just started this on pc having never played any witcher games before. I selected not to simulate a witcher 2 save. Now I'm reading in the OT that I should have done so. How fucked am I?

Exentryk

I think that was the dev's intention as well and it makes sense, but as a player it sends a confusing message if I'm used to getting XP for everything and then it suddenly stops. I think they could have just communicated to this player better using an in-game explanation and the whole "bug" perception could have been avoided.

Agreed. Situations where you don't get any EXP can be confusing, and feel like the game is not functioning as it should. Giving away 1 EXP or 5 EXP in all such situations is a nice simple fix.

Just started this on pc having never played any witcher games before. I selected not to simulate a witcher 2 save. Now I'm reading in the OT that I should have done so. How fucked am I?

I didn't simulate W2 either, and I think you miss out on at least one quest involving a past character. If you're still early, just restart.

aku:jiki

Since I haven't played W1 yet, I don't care about Shani, but I do love the look of that little Blood & Wine screenshot. Can't wait to go to Touissant...in like a year. :(

Repost for new page,
Shani looks beautiful
header_586x192.jpg

Never played The Witcher 1. Can someone give me a brief summary of this person? Who is she, what has she done and do we hate her or love her?

Yes, the exp bug is fixed, and some quests just don't give much experience.

Lol, of course there was. The exp bug was very real. The people effected by it didn't get experience for levels higher than their current level, even though they should have. There've been confirmed cases of someone getting the experience retroactively too; as in the glitch held on to the exp and gave it to the player later.

Acting like it never existed is so silly when it was clearly effecting tons of people.

aku:jiki

Never played The Witcher 1. Can someone give me a brief summary of this person? Who is she, what has she done and do we hate her or love her?
I have never played the game but I have observed the reasons for why the Witcher community chooses their love interest and feel like I can say that people like her because she has short, red pixie hair. She may not even talk in the game.

Triss lovers, come at me.

So guys, I just got to Skellige after having
found Dandelion
. How much left? I'm currently level 19.

I'm just curious, I'm loving the game so far. One of the best RPGs I've ever played.

Heh yeah, I initially thought why am I getting meagre EXP for this?! Then I just did them cuz I was intrigued where each quest went.

It's a good strategy, and it saves people needing to do every quest to level up.

zer0das

Banned

Yes, the exp bug is fixed, and some quests just don't give much experience.

Lol, of course there was. The exp bug was very real. The people effected by it didn't get experience for levels higher than their current level, even though they should have. There've been confirmed cases of someone getting the experience retroactively too; as in the glitch held on to the exp and gave it to the player later.

Acting like it never existed is so silly when it was clearly effecting tons of people.

Shani is a young nurse you meet in the opening act of the Witcher. She's caring, kind, considerate and spends most of her time helping plague victims. Triss is kind of bitchy and a bit condescending to Geralt in comparison (in the first game). Romancing her also has one of the funniest sequences in the game
Her grandmother bothers you every time you visit her and to bed her you have to distract the grandmother. Doing so is a royal pain.

Hystzen

Eww Shani worst female who bitched over you talking to Triss over anything.

"How was breakfast"

"How dare you talk to Triss don't trust her "

Jog on

So guys, I just got to Skellige after having
found Dandelion
. How much left? I'm currently level 19.

I'm just curious, I'm loving the game so far. One of the best RPGs I've ever played.

Still in act 1; you got a looooong way to go.

Shani is a young nurse you meet in the opening act of the Witcher. She's caring, kind, considerate and spends most of her time helping plague victims. Triss is kind of bitchy and a bit condescending to Geralt in comparison (in the first game). Romancing her also has one of the funniest sequences in the game
Her grandmother bothers you every time you visit her and to bed her you have to distract the grandmother. Doing so is a royal pain.

Thanks.

So, I got this with my PS4 about a month ago but only started playing it last weekend - and then promptly gave up on Monday and switched to Sherlock Holmes as I was finding it mostly impenetrable and wanted some instant fun.

That's probably largely because I've never really played one of these massively sprawling RPGs before. But while it's all very overwhelming, I can't help thinking that this game also just does a pretty bad job of introducing newcomers to its systems and nuances.

So before I give it another go, can anyone point me in the direction of a decent guide/knowledge base that's been created specifically with the beginner in mind? Preferably one that doesn't require a shit load of reading.

Ta.

I want to play this game cause i've heard so much about it but ive never played the others and don't have a clue what it's about. All i know is that it's huge and looks amazing.
Is there a video someone could recommend to make me want to pick up a copy ASAP?

danowat

Banned
I want to play this game cause i've heard so much about it but ive never played the others and don't have a clue what it's about. All i know is that it's huge and looks amazing.
Is there a video someone could recommend to make me want to pick up a copy ASAP?

If you don't mind a bit of puerile humour, Angry Joe gives a pretty decent overview of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6QoEUqadW4

It's not necessary to have played the previous games, but obviously there will be some lore you'll be missing out on, but alot of it is fleshed out if you read the in game books.

Watch the Sword of Destiny trailer on Youtube, and then the "intro CG". Just search for 'em both. If you don't want it after that, you're dead inside.
Not really but they are amazing videos.

Top Bottom