• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Sure, and I don't necessarily disagree, but that's just not staying true to the character and her history. She's always done her own thing, almost selfishly, and she's not someone who would ever assume that she's the one to "make the world a better place" - I don't see that thought crossing her mind.
I know what you mean. I see it as her character arc though:
Ciri goes from being someone who despises responsibility and limits on her freedom, to gradually accepting the responsibility that comes with her heritage and powers, and choosing first of all to risk her life to defeat the White Frost, and then to accept her birthright as rightful heir to the Empire in order to make life better for all of those under her rule. Ultimately it is her choice though, she is not forced to make it, she accepts that role of her own free will.

zer0das

Banned
There is something inherently wrong with the game's difficulty spike on Death March when between the Level 1-10 range. I am currently sitting at Level 6 and Level 1 enemies seem to hit just as hard as Level 7's.

And then some Gargoyle pops up and it one hit kills me while it is Level 6.

This just leads to frustration.

Some enemies just hit really hard. Alghouls are another one that tend to murder you regardless of level. Better armor helps. In general it is best to just skip stuff you're having problems with and come back later. I did have a lot problems between levels 6-8 though. After that, it was mostly smooth sailing.

mitchman

Gold Member
Agreed.

See, I think of it this way; Ciri has two father figures. Based on that, which father-figure is the one who's been the most influential and the one who's footsteps she would most likely follow? I'll give you a hint, the series is called "Witcher".

On the other hand, being
a witcher is much more risky for her, particularly without the witcher mutations the others have.

Agreed.

See, I think of it this way; Ciri has two father figures. Based on that, which father-figure is the one who's been the most influential and the one who's footsteps she would most likely follow? I'll give you a hint, the series is called "Witcher".

It's actually called "The" Witcher. That might sound like a minor thing to point out but if you think about it, your whole point changes. Anyway, Ciri having two fathers
is something that even gets mentioned in the Empress ending, where it says that she learned the best traits from both Geralt and Emhyr. Geralt was probably the most influential, but that doesn't necessarily mean that she would also want to become a witcher.

I was going to try and finish my Gwent collection but according to a few online guides, most of the Nilfgaard cards I'm missing can be bought from the merchant in Midcopse...who has no cards for sale.

Are you sure you're talking to the right merchant? Is that the guy you have to unlock via a PoI?

There's only one merchant in the town at the moment. I remember saving one merchant from a bunch of bandits when he was locked in a cage. Maybe there's another one I have to save. I'll have another look when I can play again tonight.

There's only one merchant in the town at the moment. I remember saving one merchant from a bunch of bandits when he was locked in a cage. Maybe there's another one I have to save. I'll have another look when I can play again tonight.

It's been a while so I could be remembering wrong, but there's a merchant in a cage on a half-island in middle-south-eastern Velen, north-east of Fyke Isle. I can't remember if that's the Midcopse guy or someone else, but he sells a bunch of cards and some people have experienced glitches with him.

Exentryk

Question about quest "Final Preparation".
Will I have free roam time after I start/finish this quest, or is this the point of no return?

It's been a while so I could be remembering wrong, but there's a merchant in a cage on a half-island in middle-south-eastern Velen, north-east of Fyke Isle. I can't remember if that's the Midcopse guy or someone else, but he sells a bunch of cards and some people have experienced glitches with him.

Oh OK. I'll have a look for him, thanks.

The Merchant you're talking about
will sell his wares in Claywich once he's freed. He's in a cage that's ESE of there, on a long island you get to via a short bridge. It's bugged for some people and they either can't release him from the cage, or once freed he disappears before he reaches Claywich.

Question about quest "Final Preparation".
Will I have free roam time after I start/finish this quest, or is this the point of no return?

A character will tell you when you reach the point of no return, after which you can say that you've got other things to take care of first. It happens in a city too, not out in the water like with Isle of Mists. And it should also be noted that there's not really a point of no return, as you can keep playing after the ending.

Exentryk

A character will tell you when you reach the point of no return, after which you can say that you've got other things to take care of first. It happens in a city too, not out in the water like with Isle of Mists. And it should also be noted that there's not really a point of no return, as you can keep playing after the ending.

Thanks. Only have one bugged contract that is outstanding, which I guess I can complete after the ending.

EDIT: Here is my end game hybrid Sign-Alchemy-Sword build lol. Has enough Sign Intensity to burn everything that can burn, while the rest can be dealt with by decoctions, potions and highish DPS from swords.
Can still use a few more ability points to further increase that DPS though, as I have two abilities that only have 1/5 and 3/5 bonuses.

z9qpxud.jpg

Anustart

Can't wait for the patch to come out. I'm sitting at nearax weight and don't know why. Barely carrying any equipment, and surely my alchemy ingredients don't weigh 100 pounds.

tauke

Not sure if GOG Galaxy tracked my playtime correctly but I'm around 62 hours and just started to explore Skellige Isle since all the Witcher contracts are way too high level for me to even damage the monsters at Velen (currently at lvl 19).

The game keeps giving when I realise the bandits and monsters are more challenging at Skellige Isle! I only finished Bloody Baron quests and just done with Get Junior. I'll be doing more side quests instead before I proceed with the main plot.

Really can't wait for Patch 1.07 to arrive soon.

Thanks. Only have one bugged contract that is outstanding, which I guess I can complete after the ending.

EDIT: Here is my end game hybrid Sign-Alchemy-Sword build lol. Has enough Sign Intensity to burn everything that can burn, while the rest can be dealt with by decoctions, potions and highish DPS from swords.
Can still use a few more ability points to further increase that DPS though, as I have two abilities that only have 1/5 and 3/5 bonuses.

Hard to tell, but are you mix-matching light with medium/heavy or are you going all light? The benefit of going all the same across your gear is that there is a yellow skill you can get which increases your stats a lot (only costs one point too). I personally went for every fast attack skill too. In the end, my fast attacks were almost always a guaranteed critical and did so much damage that every enemy became easy pray. It did leave me open to attacks though so of course dodging becomes all the more important.

Exentryk

Hard to tell, but are you mix-matching light with medium/heavy or are you going all light? The benefit of going all the same across your gear is that there is a yellow skill you can get which increases your stats a lot (only costs one point too). I personally went for every fast attack skill too. In the end, my fast attacks were almost always a guaranteed critical and did so much damage that every enemy became easy pray. It did leave me open to attacks though so of course dodging becomes all the more important.

Yeah, it ended up being a mix match of all different types as I started optimising. I know about all of the abilities and how they work, and I feel this is the optimum result.

This build basically burns every possible enemy that can burn (that's ~90% of the game's enemies trivialised). Next, this build can use 3 decoctions + a few potions, that gives 100% critical hit chance, various decoction bonuses depending on what you require, highish DPS and constant healing. Also, the stamina recharge is above 40, which means a full stamina bar in 2.5 secs. Spam 200% intensity Signs all day long.

Yeah, it ended up being a mix match of all different types as I started optimising. I know about all of the abilities and how they work, and I feel this is the optimum result.

This build basically burns every possible enemy that can burn (that's ~90% of the game's enemies trivialised). Next, this build can use 3 decoctions + a few potions, that gives 100% critical hit chance, various decoction bonuses depending on what you require, highish DPS and constant healing. Also, the stamina recharge is above 40, which means a full stamina bar in 2.5 secs. Spam 200% intensity Signs all day long.

Nice.

Alright guys, super quick question.

very light, non-story related spoilers:

I'm about two missions after the "point of no return", and I was level 26 at the time of committing to Isle of Mists. I had superior feline gear equipped at the time (24/25 reqs) as well as enhanced wolf gear (21 req? not sure) in my inventory. The superior version of the wolf gear is like, level 29, so I didn't really care to go hunt for the diagrams.

Didn't realize they'd hand out experience like candy and I'm level 30 now, so, can I still go hunt down the diagrams and craft the gear, or is this truly a straight path all the way to the finish? Should I go back and craft the better gear?

I'm about two missions after the "point of no return", and I was level 26 at the time of committing to Isle of Mists. I had superior feline gear equipped at the time (24/25 reqs) as well as enhanced wolf gear (21 req? not sure) in my inventory. The superior version of the wolf gear is like, level 29, so I didn't really care to go hunt for the diagrams.

Didn't realize they'd hand out experience like candy and I'm level 30 now, so, can I still go hunt down the diagrams and craft the gear, or is this truly a straight path all the way to the finish? Should I go back and craft the better gear?

Lol, Isle of Mists isn't even close to the point of no return. The message you got was merely for some important character-based side-quests that will fail if you start it before finishing them. You're not even half-way through act 2 yet. Don't you worry. And like I posted earlier on this page, there's not really such a thing as point of no return anyway.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished the Isle of Mists and hit level 30 in the process so now, all the character slots are opened up. And I just used a point of clearance potion as I have 51 points that I need to distribute. :)

With that said, does anyone know where the diagrams are for the superior oils - cursed, draconid, elementa and specter? Also, im looking for the diagram for the superior bomb - northern wind.

This is all I have left to complete what im consistently using in battle so if anyone can help me out here, it would be greatly appreciated.

zon

I've recently started playing W3 and I'm wondering, what did the rest of you decide to do with the quest the Crones give you at the beginning of the game? Did you
kill the spirit in the tree or save it
?

I decided to save it and the children, can't say I feel too bad about the Baron and his wife dying. They had both done bad things and even though at least one of them wanted to make amends I don't think it's right to let 5 children pay the price for it.

The village that worshiped the Crones was nothing but their livestock, used to provide them with human flesh and ingredients to use in their magic and when you are willing to sacrifice your own children just to feel safe... fuck you.

The only thing that bothers me about the whole thing is how little you actually get to know about the spirit and yes I do take the book into account as well. The Crones story and the spirits story differ by a lot I think, and if the spirit was such a great and dangerous evil why would it want to save the children in the first place? The Crones are clearly evil and deserve to die but what do I save by going against them? A spirit who is just as evil and even more mad than they are, or a druid that was killed and imprisoned by the them?

Go for the gear, it isn't a straight path. The true point of no return in the story comes later, so feel free to do treasure hunts or anything you want. In fact, there's one particularly very fucking hard boss battle, so don't go unprepared.

Walpurgis

Banned
I've recently started playing W3 and I'm wondering, what did the rest of you decide to do with the quest the Crones give you at the beginning of the game? Did you
kill the spirit in the tree or save it
?

I decided to save it and the children, can't say I feel too bad about the Baron and his wife dying. They had both done bad things and even though at least one of them wanted to make amends I don't think it's right to let 5 children pay the price for it.

The village that worshiped the Crones was nothing but their livestock, used to provide them with human flesh and ingredients to use in their magic and when you are willing to sacrifice your own children just to feel safe... fuck you.

The only thing that bothers me about the whole thing is how little you actually get to know about the spirit and yes I do take the book into account as well. The Crones story and the spirits story differ by a lot I think, and if the spirit was such a great and dangerous evil why would it want to save the children in the first place? The Crones are clearly evil and deserve to die but what do I save by going against them? A spirit who is just as evil and even more mad than they are, or a druid that was killed and imprisoned by the them?
I saved the tree spirit and I regret nothing. As you said, the Baron and his wife are not innocent.

I am glad that the story went back to
the Crones towards the end
but I was pretty disappointed that we didn't see more about
the tree spirit
. If they could at least have had side quests about villagers or pellars or w/e that could help explain it, that would have been nice.

blackjaw

Whow Boy that was fast. It took me about 240 hours to complete my first Playthrough, and after that I instantly started another one.

Edit: Damn double Post. It seem everyone is still sleeping.

Yeah, I rushed the last two chapters mainly doing story quests and an odd witcher contract here and there (or becoming fist fighting champion of the world and master crafting wolf armor). I just got so caught up in the main quest and was way over leveled from previous questing that I said fuck it and just finished it.

Amazing game, going back through now doing the side quests I missed and exploring...so much to see.

Unlocking the master alchemist is definitely worth it.
Can't believe how many times I got sidetracked while doing his quest, when riding through unexplored territory the sidequest just keep piling up.

Skellige might be my favorite place in a videogame.

Sai

So, are you able to speak with all of Skellige's Jarls/clan leaders in their respective territories? An Craite, Lugos, and Udalryk are all tied to important main and secondary quests, of course. But before I stumbled upon An Hindar, the eldest Jarl, in Hindarsfjäll, I had simply assumed they were MIA beyond the quests The King Is Dead. Long Live The King and King's Gambit.

There are two others, Jarls of clans Tuirseach, and An Dimun that I haven't been able to find. I've only seen the latter's son in one of the residences on Faroe, and what I presume to be the home of the former on An Skellig(beautiful music, by the way) has been locked whenever I've checked.

Figured a conversation with Birna or her son would be particularly interesting before King's Gambit.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I finally caved and bought this for PS4 yesterday. I decided I needed a story/world to get sucked into after playing mostly pure gameplay stuff like Splatoon, Mario Galaxy 2 etc. lately.

I played a few hours last night and really love it so far. Looks amazing, combat is simple but fun, the side quests seem great (especially compared to DA:I), I love how the horse will follow roads etc. Looking forward to wrapping up work and playing a bunch tonight.

Branson

Feel free to spoiler tag this for sure. But can you do side stuff after beating the main story? I thought I read it locks you out of some. Also I took a break with some other games and I'm ready any day now to get back into witching, after that patch of course.

can you do side stuff after beating the main story?

Yes.

Except
the damn statuette quests that are tied to Triss (all main characters disappear). Other quests that are tied to the main characters will fail too, but almost all of them will already have done so before even reaching Act 3.

Alpende

I hate Gwent I just don't get it.

Everything else in this game is gold. Still running around Velen and I've easy put in 100 hours already.

I ignored it until I finished the game. Then it clicked and I think it's great now. Too bad I can't collect all the cards anymore.

Verger

Banned
70 hours and I finally get to Skellige....

....how the fuck is this place so damn big???
Nice to finally see Yenniffer again after all this time, heh.

Oh, and I still thought the Novigrad Quests were good. I really liked the Cabaret -> Carnal Sin quest-line. Only wish the villain had a better death scene.

Kuldar

Damn, I just finished the side quest Cabaret and started the following quest...
the fucker who did that to Priscilla will suffer.

Captain.Falafel

Neo Member
Only just got to Skellige. I'll probably never finish this game.

[Inconsequential just-got-to-Skellige Romance spoiler]
Banging Yen was sweet.

I don't know how anyone could be on Team Triss. Yen's one bad mama.

So, are you able to speak with all of Skellige's Jarls/clan leaders in their respective territories? An Craite, Lugos, and Udalryk are all tied to important main and secondary quests, of course. But before I stumbled upon An Hindar, the eldest Jarl, in Hindarsfjäll, I had simply assumed they were MIA beyond the quests The King Is Dead. Long Live The King and King's Gambit.

There are two others, Jarls of clans Tuirseach, and An Dimun that I haven't been able to find. I've only seen the latter's son in one of the residences on Faroe, and what I presume to be the home of the former on An Skellig(beautiful music, by the way) has been locked whenever I've checked.

Figured a conversation with Birna or her son would be particularly interesting before King's Gambit.
AFAIK Birna and her son are not anywhere in Skellige to interact with.

I was also interested in speaking with the various Jarls before progressing the leadership arc in Skellige.

Lugos, Crach, Uldaryk, An Hindar can be talked to at their places of residence. You can also speak to An Hindar about Skjall if you've progressed the main quest a bit. Hindar's son stands outside his father's house but doesn't say anything AFAIR.

Lugos' son has a quest but I never saw him after in Lugos' stronghold. Not sure if he spawns somewhere else after his Cave of Dreams quest. Maybe on his longboat?

Holger Blackhand wasn't in either of Faroe's villages in my playthrough until after I completed the story and was just mopping up POIs in Skellige. He was standing near the Blacksmith/Armourer in Faroes main village.

He had no dialogue other than that was available during the initial meeting with him at the wake. I'm not sure if he spawns there before the main story is over and if he has any other dialogue.

There's also the guy in the boat on Undvik during the Giant quest but he seems to vanish after completing that quest unless I'm forgetting something.

Älg

Advice: Should I craft Griffin school or save the money/materials for the armor I really want, Feline?

You'll be able to craft both without any problem. Materials are easy to come by, and money is also quite easy to get once you start to reach higher levels.

Sai

Advice: Should I craft Griffin school or save the money/materials for the armor I really want, Feline?
Craft the Griffin set and use it until you're able to craft the Cat set? You shouldn't be hard pressed getting the money and materials for both. Unless you're doing something horribly wrong. :p

AFAIK Birna and her son are not anywhere in Skellige to interact with.

I was also interested in speaking with the various Jarls before progressing the leadership arc in Skellige.

Lugos, Crach, Uldaryk, An Hindar can be talked to at their places of residence. You can also speak to An Hindar about Skjall if you've progressed the main quest a bit. Hindar's son stands outside his father's house but doesn't say anything AFAIR.

Lugos' son has a quest but I never saw him after in Lugos' stronghold. Not sure if he spawns somewhere else after his Cave of Dreams quest. Maybe on his longboat?

Holger Blackhand wasn't in either of Faroe's villages in my playthrough until after I completed the story and was just mopping up POIs in Skellige. He was standing near the Blacksmith/Armourer in Faroes main village.

He had no dialogue other than that was available during the initial meeting with him at the wake. I'm not sure if he spawns there before the main story is over and if he has any other dialogue.

There's also the guy in the boat on Undvik during the Giant quest but he seems to vanish after completing that quest unless I'm forgetting something.
:( That's too bad. Would've liked to see more of their respective insight on the state of the isles, before 'n after King's Gambit.

Kinda sucks that the Bran kid's
fate is kind of left hanging in the air; exile or suicide, right?... Harsh, considering what he had to do.

Xion385

Älg;171807211 said:
You'll be able to craft both without any problem. Materials are easy to come by, and money is also quite easy to get once you start to reach higher levels.

Craft the Griffin set and use it until you're able to craft the Cat set? You shouldn't be hard pressed getting the money and materials for both. Unless you're doing something horribly wrong. :p
Thanks!

I'm assuming I can't craft all the sets, right?

Exentryk

Fully mastercrafted and all, right?

Probably would be best to wait until the next update when they gives ys storage to do that then, if so.

Yeah, fully mastercrafted and all. You can even have different versions of the same type of armor (like enhanced feline, mastercrafted feline) at the same time.

And yeah, the new update will help with stashing the gear. I currently have all of them, but the weight doesnt bother me. I prefer the benefits of being overburdened.

Xion385

Yeah, fully mastercrafted and all. You can even have different versions of the same type of armor (like enhanced feline, mastercrafted feline) at the same time.

And yeah, the new update will help with stashing the gear. I currently have all of them, but the weight doesnt bother me. I prefer the benefits of being overburdened.
That's what I meant about the versions of the armor. Thanks! With the rate that you get money early in the game I thought you could only fully upgrade one set of armor. Not all 4 of them.

Top Bottom