• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

usp84

Finally finished this after almost two months(!).Longest it has ever taken me to complete a game surely.Great game

Some very nice panoramas of Kaer Morhen from reddit

5jc0ulx5sje2.png

There is something about the lighting in Kaer Morhen that makes it look absolutely stunning. First time I put my eyes on that place I was mesmerized.

EDIT: Double post. Crap.

It could be true. You can easily lose track of time when playing this game but it all depends when you purchased this title.

Nah as I say I'm enjoying it but not that much. I haven't even played SSB that much yet. Could it potentially be tracking the time suspended in Rest Mode? That'd make a whole lot more sense. I also use meditate a lot, being a nooblet.

Nah as I say I'm enjoying it but not that much. I haven't even played SSB that much yet. Could it potentially be tracking the time suspended in Rest Mode? That'd make a whole lot more sense. I also use meditate a lot, being a nooblet.

Nah, doubtful. The moment I started in White Orchard in my second playthrough the counter already said 3 hours played.

YoodlePro

Guys, is there any drawback by out levelling main quests? I've done so much shit exploring that I'm at least 7 levels ahead of story or side quests. Will I still get xp from them?

Guys, is there any drawback by out levelling main quests? I've done so much shit exploring that I'm at least 7 levels ahead of story or side quests. Will I still get xp from them?
I think you might only get 5xp per quest. That's what it was giving me when doing story quests when I was hugely overleveled.

Coreda

Beautiful interactive map by CDP
http://thewitcher.com/map

This is neat.

On leveling, it feels kind of uneven at times the progression balance, where earlier on while under-leveled it's easier to take on quests at one's own pace as most quests would grant XP (green colored). Then when you progress the main story the XP boost is enormous which can make many sidequests greyed (little XP given). Made me hurry more than I'd like for some quests before there was another boost. I suppose there are only so many XP-granting sidequests available at any given level.

Dawg

This isn't really an issue related to just The Witcher 3, but I figured I'd post it here... maybe others have noticed this as well while playing the game.

There is a jagged, glowing shadow around the edges of Geralts character model, particularly visible in corners and against lighter backgrounds, it looks like a very light aura around the character. It becomes more visible once you move around. Thinking about it, I've seen this in different games too.

I've always wondered what it is. I used to think it was just my TV acting up but even when I take screenshots and upload them to my computer, I can still see it. Dark Souls II: SoTFS had the same thing.

This is on PS4 btw.

Drakhyrr

This isn't really an issue related to just The Witcher 3, but I figured I'd post it here... maybe others have noticed this as well while playing the game.

There is a jagged, glowing shadow around the edges of Geralts character model, particularly visible in corners and against lighter backgrounds, it looks like a very light aura around the character. It becomes more visible once you move around. Thinking about it, I've seen this in different games too.

I've always wondered what it is. I used to think it was just my TV acting up but even when I take screenshots and upload them to my computer, I can still see it. Dark Souls II: SoTFS had the same thing.

This is on PS4 btw.

It's a side effect of Screen Space Ambient Occlusion (SSAO). On PC, there's Nvidia's special AO that mostly solves this.

I think CDPR doesn't know how to use it very well. I remember it being specially apparent in The Witcher 2.

Denton

It's a side effect of Screen Space Ambient Occlusion (SSAO). On PC, there's Nvidia's special AO that mostly solves this.

I think CDPR doesn't know how to use it very well. I remember it being specially apparent in The Witcher 2.

SSAO has the halo effect in pretty much every game I played.
HBAO is so much better, but I guess it would be too intensive for consoles.

Dawg

SSAO has the halo effect in pretty much every game I played.
HBAO is so much better, but I guess it would be too intensive for consoles.

Thanks. I knew I wasn't imagining things :D

I think you might only get 5xp per quest. That's what it was giving me when doing story quests when I was hugely overleveled.

If a quest is gray, you will almost always gain only 5xp. But I mean, no matter how you play, you will always have gray quests in your log, either main quests or secondary. I wouldn't worry about it and just enjoy the game :)

Increase the difficulty when you get too overleveled.

Better to do the side quests instead of the main quests of you want to keep having a challenge. The amount of levels you simply gain just by following the story is absolutely game breaking in terms of challenge imo.

Was DLC not released this week ? The page for the game isn't showing anything new. :/
They released an alternative Ciri costume on XBone and PS4 temporarily, and then quickly removed it since it seemed to cause problems. They've also said that they're putting free DLC on hold temporarily while they get the 1.07 patch completed.

Effect

Thinking it's finally time to take a break from the game. GOG Galaxy is showing I've put in 52 hours into the game. Finally made my way to Skellige, did a number of the side quest there before pushing on with the main story. I mainly did this because I'm pretty annoyed with Yen as a character. I see what they're going for with her personality but it's still a turn off so a break from her was welcome after the short time I was around her after arriving in this area.

I wouldn't have a problem with the game's length but it's just felt I'm running in circles. I got annoyed by The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword in the same way. Always just being behind Zelda but at least there I caught up in a far more timely manner. This is just going on to long here.

Trojan

Playing through the quest "Possession" on Skellige, and have to say this quest is one of the best I've played in the game. Amazing writing and the way it's shot in the dark cabin is really moody. Wow.

In case you forgot, this is the quest with the Hym that possesses Uldulrich and makes him mutilate himself. I'm at the part where you have to choose what way you drive it out of him.

thanks, any reason? is it the open world?

Not particularly. I'm actually not a fan of open world games in general. I prefer tight narrative driven games. But I really feel that TW3 is the game that combines both in a way that I've not seen done before. They were somehow able to create a game where there is a narrative driving the player motivation but also still allow the player to explore.

I think they manage to do this by having every little section of the world you explore having its own well written narrative that often ties in to the main narrative, either plotwise, or thematically. So all your explorations are still narratively tied in to the main plot. You never feel you're just exploring and ignoring the main plot.

I think all RPG developers should study TW3 and learn from it.

CoolOff

Playing through the quest "Possession" on Skellige, and have to say this quest is one of the best I've played in the game. Amazing writing and the way it's shot in the dark cabin is really moody. Wow.

In case you forgot, this is the quest with the Hym that possesses Uldulrich and makes him mutilate himself. I'm at the part where you have to choose what way you drive it out of him.

Yep, when the conclusion happened I was legit shook.

Radec

I'm on my 2nd playthrough, currently lvl 16 and want to find wolf gear. But those diagrams are in Kaer Mohren.

Fucking stupid location for a lvl 14 gear.

Korosenai

Is there a way to get the empty bottle guy to get more cash? I fast forward five days and he only get around 160 crowns every time. I've got a lot of stuff I need to get rid of...

Is there a way to get the empty bottle guy to get more cash? I fast forward five days and he only get around 160 crowns every time. I've got a lot of stuff I need to get rid of...

Just buy the bottles out of him. He restocks instantly once you back out of the conversation, and buy more bottles out of him until he has enough money to buy all your stuff.

Then just sell the thousands of bottles you have to all the other merchants in town.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Done. I finished the game. What a fucking amazing game. I can't remember the last time I was so impressed with a game like this. I spent 85 hours and if the expansions would be out right now I would instantly continue to play. I want more.

Simply amazing. Maybe one of my favourite games of all time. What a ride.

Then fuck off!

Was that part actually in the game? Never found it.

TheAssist

Finished the game today. I can have a life again. Wow.

This was the first game in long time that felt like an adventure. I have never played a single player game for that (long 90 hours sharp). I usually get bored somewhere between 30 and 50 hours in. Even if its a really good game like fallout, I just want to finish it up after a certain amount of time.

But with this game..... damn I'd like to play another 30 or so hours.

Its hands down the best fantasy world every created in polygonal form (imho). Probably because it feels less like fantasy and more like something that might have happened in the past ... if monsters where a thing.
The environments look sooooo goood. I mean the density of foliage is simply stunning. It looks like an actual place. And the lighting does the rest to create this amazing world.

To top it off they managed to fill that world with interesting people and conflicts.

I personally think this game sets new standards for many genres and it will probably remain the goldstandard for quite some time.
I really love me some fallout, before this game F:NW was my favorite western RPG but I just dont think Bethesda has quite the magic to pull this one off. They are a little bit more by the books, rely more on generic gameplay loops and simply aren't as superb when it comes to that very last mile of polish. But who cares, F4 is probably gonna be great and I will enjoy it as well. What a great year for western RPG's.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that going full alchemy pays off in the end?
For most of the game I went with a hybrid build of signs and alchemy. After lvl 32 I reskilled to alchemy only and holy shit is this good.
You have 10k health, crit with practically every blow and do about 1.5k damage with each hit. If the battle goes long enough and geralt goes up to full adrenaline, he does about 2.5-3k damage with a heavy crit strike.
I used 2 decotions all the time. One heals you every time you use stamina and the other one lets you do more damage when you are full health (water hag decoction I think). Since you are full health pretty much all the time anyway because of decotion one you immensely increase your damage output.
For the skills: Oils let you do 50% more damage and you get 25% less damage. Whenever you kill an enemy you have a 50% increase of critically hitting (stacks within the same fight). If you have 3 adrenalin points you do 100% more damage if you have the right oil applied. Whenever geralt drinks a potion you have 100% chance to get another potion effect.
For the potions: Maribor forest increases your adrenaline point gain and tawny oil makes stamina regen blazingly fast. Whenever I had the muse to get into the menu to apply another potion I used blizzard and thunderbold for that little extra dps.

In the end I was 1 or 2 hitting most of the standaed enemies in the game. For the bigger ones you can use the archgriffin decoction that takes away 10% of the enemies current health with a heavy strike.
I'm probably missing some cool skills here and some op potions/decotion combos. But I think this is the nice touch of this tree. Its so versatile. YOu can actually play arround with loads of combos.
So yeah my geralt was high on potions most of the game but it felt very witchery and payed of in the end I guess. I just wonder how OP the other skill trees get.

RyudBoy

I feel your pain.

FWIW, I (eventually) found the best way to do it was to use Axii to stagger them so that they bent forwards, and then stand at their 9 o'clock. When you shoot at their head that way, you either get a headshot or miss them entirely since their head is bent so far forwards. Most of the hitbox problems seem to be camera perspective vs the crossbow fired from the left hand. That approach mostly eliminates that issue.

I found shooting them directly in the fucking face yielded better results, but in the end it still took me way too long to get that achievement. Never again.

Sai

Was that part actually in the game? Never found it.
Yep. It's called A Tome Entombed. You kinda have to go out of the way to find it though; it's in a part of the Novigrad sewers that's accessed around its southeastern wall. If you did that secondary quest for Zoltan, I think you pass by it while chasing that jerk at the end.

Speaking of, if you have to blow a wall away to access those things, how did the scholar get in there before you? :p

Philippo

Plot wise, does it make sense playing first the Keira Metz quest, then Bloody Baron, and the Ladies of the Woods after? Because i started the second, and the Baron says
Ciri came from the swamps
, which i guess its the setting for the 3rd quest.

Just because i don't want to mess with the narration and miss some points.

Sai

Plot wise, does it make sense playing first the Keira Metz quest, then Bloody Baron, and the Ladies of the Woods after? Because i started the second, and the Baron says
Ciri came from the swamps
, which i guess its the setting for the 3rd quest.

Just because i don't want to mess with the narration and miss some points.
On my second run, I went to Keira first, then the Ladies of the Wood, and finally the Baron.

You don't miss out on any information, regardless of which order you do them in.

After 400 hours I finally beat this thing, I finally did it.

Feels like I've gone on an adventure, very much a Tolkin-esque one almost a There and Back Again A Hobbit's Story kind of feeling.

While things ended great for pretty much everyone except well,
Geralt returned to Crookback bog and killed the last crone, grief stricken over Ciri's apparent death. Succumbing to a huge hoard of Drowners. or something. Great ending, very sad. I thought I did good with Ciri but in the end I did not.

DToneli

Neo Member
After 400 hours I finally beat this thing, I finally did it.

Feels like I've gone on an adventure, very much a Tolkin-esque one almost a There and Back Again A Hobbit's Story kind of feeling.

While things ended great for pretty much everyone except well,
Geralt returned to Crookback bog and killed the last crone, grief stricken over Ciri's apparent death. Succumbing to a huge hoard of Drowners. or something. Great ending, very sad. I thought I did good with Ciri but in the end I did not.

What happens after everything? You can still play as Geralt or is it like "no way back" ? Because the game doesn't tell you if he actually died or not, I know, he had no swords but at level 33 you can pretty much use fists/Igni/Quen/Bomb/Crossbow against drowners, ghouls, alghouls and easily win, right?
?

Jonm1010

Banned
So where is the supposed new control scheme on PC??

Is it just automatic? Am I crazy and misread the patch thread? I could of swore one of the updates wa s an alternative control method or something.

burgerdog

So where is the supposed new control scheme on PC??

Is it just automatic? Am I crazy and misread the patch thread? I could of swore one of the updates wa s an alternative control method or something.

Well, you would need the patch to actually release, you know?

Top Bottom