• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Exentryk

I think I'm one quest away from finishing the game. If 1.07 doesn't hit this weekend, I'll only get to experience it in Oct when the expansions release.

CD Projekt Red On The Making Of The Witcher 1:
“We thought we could accomplish anything.”

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/15/the-witcher-retrospective/

Missed this earlier. Great read.

This quote is particularly salient with respect to videogame writing:

“The games about Geralt contend that evil has its source in people – in their lies and weaknesses that others can easily exploit,” Blacha continued. “Stories of this kind are far more suggestive than, say, a story about an invasion by evil demons. True, we use supernatural beings and forces in the games, but merely as metaphors. The Beast from the Outskirts is not scary just because it’s a dangerous monster. It’s also frightening because it’s an incarnation of misdeeds and sins we might witness or experience in our daily lives.”

I adored Dragon Age: Inquisition, but I'd be the first one to admit that I didn't care all that much about the plot/narrative. I cared the characters, the people, the story beats that I could relate to. End of the world is such an abstract concept that by raising the stakes to its highest level, it no longer actually has any meaning.

Prodigal

Banned
Late game spoiler question:
I just brought Ciri to Kaer Morhen for the battle. It won't let me fast travel anywhere but I assume after the fight is over I'll be able to go do side quests again right?

How difficult is this VPN thingy for the Russian GOG keys? Will I be able to play with English text/voice?

Dont be tight, buy the game properly.

I cant think of any game which is more worth the entry price than Witcher 3. I have just completed the game, it is excellent and it really is massive - I have been playing most days since release.

RyudBoy

272 hrs
1000/1000

Wish I'd started Gwent earlier on so that way I didn't have to do a 2nd playthrough. Oh well, fuck it. XB1 version is done. I'll continue the PC version some other time. :p

Fuuu I hate having to choose between roleplaying and seeing content. The urge to think about them in a meta-sense in terms of possible ending implications is so overwhelming. Spoilers based on completing most of Act 1 and the initial setup of the quests "A Deadly Plot" and "King's Gambit".

These are good side quests in the sense that they really force you to put your money where your mouth is if you're committed to keeping Geralt neutral. They clearly have huge ramifications on the world, and so you really have to think about whether you want to get involved or not. I'm also not sure if I'll ever get around to replaying, so I am a bit annoyed with the thought of missing content. Maybe I'll do a second play-through after the expansions drop. Choices in Witcher 2 often forced you to make a mandatory choice between 2 options, it's not like you could eschew going with Iovoreth or Roach and miss out on content.

A Deadly Plot was foreshadowed a bit when you first met Radovid with Roach, so it's not like it came out of nowhere, but I feel like the game is telling me contradictory things about the situation. The Quest Description in the log says that although Geralt hates getting involved in politics, this was one situation where he couldn't help but get involved. That seems to indicate that Geralt would help, but his no-choice dialogue says the exact opposite thing. It's weird to have the game present two very explicit but opposing views on the issue when usually it stays ambiguous and lets you decide.

Maybe it depends on how you played the Witcher 2 and the dialogue is different based on that? In any event, I can't justify this version of Geralt getting involved based on my prior game choices. I had plenty of opportunities to get involved with kingly mischief and murder but refused to do so, it would be weird reversal to change course after spending a whole game trying to clear my name about this exact issue. I feel okay about sitting the Radovid plot out, but its harder not to get involved in Skellige.

I knew there would be eventually be a quest about playing kingmaker, but I thought it would be more straightforward in terms of someone asking my opinion. Instead they just had to wrap it up with a touch of mystery. I don't want to throw my weight behind any candidate, but damn I want to know if the "obvious" culprit did it or whether someone else was repsonsible. I want to know more about the politics of the whole thing without being getting Geralt politically involved. But there doesn't seem to be a way to go forward without obviously helping one of the candidates, there's no neutral investigator option, it's just help her or him.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not going to read that spoilered text since I don't think I'm as far as you, but yeah I've been thinking about how there are certain things I want to see play out, but I've also decided to roleplay Geralt a certain way that contradicts with those choices. So I've relegated myself to playing through the game a second time in order to see everything. That wouldn't be so bad if the game wasn't so damn long. Not that I'm complaining obviously, it's great that there's so much content in this game (and good content at that). But still... That's going to be a massive time commitment.

Guess I got my money's worth at least. :D

ebevan91

Any decent armor sets for a level 7 witcher? I've been wearing that DLC armor for a long time now and I think it's time to upgrade.

Well I guess I'll just do a little bit of secondary quests, witcher contracts, etc. until level 8 so I can get the griffin gear. I'm almost there anyways.

SlickVic

Fuuu I hate having to choose between roleplaying and seeing content. The urge to think about them in a meta-sense in terms of possible ending implications is so overwhelming. Spoilers based on completing most of Act 1 and the initial setup of the quests "A Deadly Plot" and "King's Gambit".

Couldn't read your spoilers as I haven't done those quests, only heard of them, but I do agree. I really don't have much interest in
aiding in killing Radovid. It's not necessarily that I staunchly believe in adhering to the neutral path or "what would Geralt do" as I have broken that rule quite a bit throughout the series, but killing kings is just where I draw the line (made sure to follow that in a certain Witcher 2 decision as well)
. However, since so many of these quest lines are quite well done and interesting, I feel I'm robbing myself of a good quest (that is likely more nuanced than simply
Geralt and pals kill the King of the North
by ignoring it all together.

So. I'm still in act one, but I've gotta say that the Act 1 Kaer Morhen part where
all the witchers get together and get crazy drunk
is incredible - a real tour de force of video games, where the acting, writing, and visuals come together perfectly to make a remarkably true-to-life scene.

To add to this, I've been continually impressed by how well the dialog is set up - not just for choices, but in general. I've come to anticipate what my Geralt will say even in passive dialog, in a way that I feel suits the character I've developed for him. It takes a lot of talent to sculpt the dialog in a way that gives little cognitive dissonance, but CDPR has pulled it off consistently from what I've seen so far. It's just so impressive.

What a game! And gwent still rocks.

We does everyone want to fight Geralt.

He fights monsters for a profession, massive dangerous monsters no one else will go near.

Yet every thug thinks they can take him.

Woah, the guy narrating the intro videos is Dandelion? Weird.

The lore of this game is really interesting. I know the author doesn't consider the games canon, but what's a good (English speaking) way to get into the novels?

zer0das

Banned
We does everyone want to fight Geralt.

He fights monsters for a profession, massive dangerous monsters no one else will go near.

Yet every thug thinks they can take him.

My guess is a combination of ignorance, bravado, and thinking the bards' tales embellish way too much and can't possibly be true.

He did "die" to a peasant with a pitchfork too.

misho8723

Banned
About the patch:

3i1b.jpg

The lore of this game is really interesting. I know the author doesn't consider the games canon, but what's a good (English speaking) way to get into the novels?

Buy them?
Check the community thread for a crash course in all things Witcher.

Alpende

He briefly mentions it in one of his narrations.

Dumb question... I have 25+ hours into this game, but I'm not totally clear what people mean about upgrading weapons and armor. Are we only talking about putting runes in slots, or is there something I'm missing?

Dumb question... I have 25+ hours into this game, but I'm not totally clear what people mean about upgrading weapons and armor. Are we only talking about putting runes in slots, or is there something I'm missing?
At the higher levels you can craft Witcher gear, and for the higher spec Witcher gear one of the ingredient requirements will be the preceding piece of Witcher gear, so it's easy to think of it as 'upgrading' the gear. For example, you need Superior Feline gauntlets in order to craft Mastercrafted Feline gauntlets.
It goes Normal --> Enhanced --> Superior --> Mastercrafted.

You can craft Witcher gear, and for the higher spec Witcher gear one of the ingredient requirements will be the preceding piece of Witcher gear, so it's easy to think of it as 'upgrading' the gear. For example, you need Superior Feline gauntlets in order to craft Mastercrafted Feline gauntlets.

Oooh... yeah.... I've been pretty lax about the crafting system. I've sold some pretty good gear just because I found something better. Am I already dead?

I'm on the griffin gear hunt right now; don't think I've tossed any of that stuff.

Oooh... yeah.... I've been pretty lax about the crafting system. I've sold some pretty good gear just because I found something better. Am I already dead?

I'm on the griffin gear hunt right now; don't think I've tossed any of that stuff.

You can just craft it again if you've sold it.

Griffin is ugly and the worst of the armor sets, but it's good if you're going with a 100% sign based build.

Sai

Lol... Card collection's just about complete, and Sasha still destroys me multiple times.

That Nilfgaardian deck is too much. :p

Lol... Card collection's just about complete, and Sasha still destroys me multiple times.

That Nilfgaardian deck is too much. :p

Nilf doesn't stand a chance on NR. Decoy her spies and crush her with your matching bonuses. I will say though that this battle and the one before it are the hardest ones in the game. The two battles left are easy (Scoia'tael and Monsters).

Sai

I did. Actually played all of my decoys, used all of her spy cards against her in addition to my own(she did the same); still ended up getting bulldozed with hero and revive cards in the end.

Just bad luck, really. It was kind of a matter of luck when I beat her during my first run through the game, with a much weaker deck.

Corum

Just finished the game and now I feel sad it's over.

Best game I've played in years, perhaps the best I've played.

What have CD Projekt said about future Witcher games? Is this the last as Geralt? If so, I'm even more sad.

ebevan91

What have CD Projekt said about future Witcher games? Is this the last as Geralt? If so, I'm even more sad.

Nilf doesn't stand a chance on NR. Decoy her spies and crush her with your matching bonuses. I will say though that this battle and the one before it are the hardest ones in the game. The two battles left are easy (Scoia'tael and Monsters).

Foltest the Seige Master + 2 Catapults + a whole bunch of other seige cards = GG.

JustinBB7

Last one for Geralt besides the expansions later this year.
also if you beat the game, you see how his life goes on anyway.

They have no future plans for The Witcher past the expansions. But if they do another one, Geralt won't be the lead character. Wild Hunt was meant to be his ending.

If we get another Witcher game or not will probably highly depend on just how well Cyberpunk does. They could end up going directly to a Cyberpunk 2, if it blows up bigger than Witcher 3.

cslesce

The only complaint I have is this; when you're overlevelled for some quest, you get only 5 points....and when you forget to do some quests - when it turns silver, again you get only 5 points.

Very hard to keep track of all guests to get best points from them or to know where to start them at best....

Ideas?

aku:jiki

If we get another Witcher game or not will probably highly depend on just how well Cyberpunk does. They could end up going directly to a Cyberpunk 2, if it blows up bigger than Witcher 3.
I don't think that's a viable strategy for CDPR anymore. They're growing to the point where they have to juggle projects, so as to not have people just sit around and do nothing while others are in crunch mode, which means that they have to start on their next project before they finish Cyberpunk (much like they've probably had people working on CP for a while). At that point, they won't have any idea if Cyberpunk is a hit, but they do know that the Witcher is. The safe choice would obviously be TW4.

Admittedly, CDPR isn't about being "safe", but considering this hypothetical TW4 would come out in 5-7 years at this rate, that's a pretty perfect break to take before introducing The Witcher: Through Space and Time, starring Ciri.

Very hard to keep track of all guests to get best points from them or to know where to start them at best....

Ideas?
I can't quite figure out what you're struggling with... If you're already using the quest menu to note that quests turn grey, why can't you use it to note which quests are red and which are green? Green means go.

The only complaint I have is this; when you're overlevelled for some quest, you get only 5 points....and when you forget to do some quests - when it turns silver, again you get only 5 points.

Ideas?

Whatever. Stop worrying about exp. No matter how you play the game, you WILL be overleved and you will have grey quests.

I've been playing for a few weeks now, and just thought I'd chime in on something.

The Skellige Isles are beautiful. The amount of screenshots I have taken must be in the hundreds by now. The lakes, the mountains, the ocean, the forests...it's all so endless and mesmerizing.

Coreda

Patch 1.07 changes Witcher gear level requirements. Several using the new patch have reported Witcher gear being raised a few levels higher than it was previously, eg: 20 -> 23, 22 -> 25, etc. This appears to be an unannounced change.

Added this relevant tidbit to the OP, seeing as it's causing annoyances for a number of players who are using the latest patch.

Vire

Finally downloaded the patch and its a huge improvement in terms of control, but this game really is such a bore sometimes.

I'm off on a quest to go find the Red Baron's wife because he won't tell me Ciri's location until I do this for him. Fine, no problem - even if this does seem like a reoccurring plot device for this game. So I'm off doing this quest, gathering clues which leads me towards a Pellars Hut. The Pellar now tells me that he needs a favor before he he can help me find the location of the wife.

What does the Pellar want me to do? Oh.. find his goat.

For fucks sake game, it's like one fetch quest after another. I really wish it would respect my time more.

I guess I'm just gonna go play Batman or Rocket League.

Oynox

Patch 1.07 changes Witcher gear level requirements. Several using the new patch have reported Witcher gear being raised a few levels higher than it was previously, eg: 20 -> 23, 22 -> 25, etc. This appears to be an unannounced change.

Added this relevant tidbit to the OP, seeing as it's causing annoyances for a number of players who are using the latest patch.

Yep!

That's the best thing about the patch. Raises the other witcher armors to the level of the wolf school gear. They are all at the same level now, only properties are different now. Great stuff, time to use cat school again :)

Coreda

fetch quest

It's apparently poking fun at a quest in Dragon Age from what I've seen in earlier comments, and is more of a joke. The storyline in the Baron quest was one of the highlights of the game so I guess I didn't find it a bore overall personally. (Also light spoilers).

Yep! That's the best thing about the patch. Raises the other witcher armors to the level of the wolf school gear.

This makes sense.

Oynox

How is the new movement scheme? Funny that PC is getting it last now...
Yanky. I don't know... Changed back again after several tries. Pro: you can control Geralt better while sprinting. Con: he feels so much more like a video game character because he moves so sensible.

Worth noting that the patch sets the font size back. It depends now on the size of the HUD. Unofrtunately. I use the small HUD to have as much "picture" as possible, since I have only the map and status bar activated. However, text is small as fuck again now. Need to switch to the big interface, but the map becomes sooo big with it. Urgs.

Top Bottom