• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Ultimadrago

Hearing how Skellige's Most Wanted quest is buggy at the moment make me hesitate to pursue the quest further. :(

Although I'm strolling Skellige Isles at my own leisure and clearing out the sirens population lol.

Oh my, first hearing of it. Yeah, would probably good for others to steer clear for now then, hah.

Finalow

how is the PS4 version? I want to play this now but I need to buy a new pc if I want to play it there, and I don't think I'm going to do that anytime soon. if the console version is acceptable I'll go with that.

couple of questions,

- how is the hardest difficulty? I was planning on playing the game with that if it's not dreadful.

- do I get all the dlc items and quests as soon as I start the game?

- any broken/better than the rest spell or item?

I did play the other 2 games but it was a damn long time ago.

Exentryk

- how is the hardest difficulty? I was planning on playing the game with that if it's not dreadful.

- do I get all the dlc items and quests as soon as I start the game?

- any broken/better than the rest spell or item?

- The hardest difficulty becomes quite easy after the first 10 levels.

- Free DLC stuff can be gotten as soon as you get to the right locations in the game.

- Not sure what you're asking here.

Radec

For me, the hardest fight in Death March is the very first fight. Encounter with the Ghouls.
KuGsj.gif

Sai

I think he's asking if there are overpowered or easily exploitable items/abilities, like Witcher 2's Quen.

... I think it would still be Quen. :p There are certain combinations of Abilities and potions that will let you Whirl 'n Rend for days, but other folks could explain that better.

spekkeh

Banned
I'm in act 2. I'm not a big fan of all the menial shit I have to do to get people on board. At least in Mass Effect it deepened your bond with the character. Here it mostly just seems like menial shit. Can I skip it? At least I have
Metz
Triss
and
Yen
with me at
Kaer Morhen
so that should lead to some fireworks.

Evo X

Without any spoilers, can anyone tell me if there is a "point of no return" in this game or is it possible to continue doing side quests, contracts, and treasure hunts after completing the main quest line?

After 80 hours on file, I really want to see how the story plays out, especially since I'm starting to get quite over leveled.

Is there a way to further reduce the size of the UI? The minimap especially is bugging me, as it covers too much space. (I know of the setting under video/graphics, I mean something like a mod or modifying some files)

Do you guys tackle contracts while they're still beyond your level or only go for them once you're at or close to the recommended level? I'm just wondering if there's challenge to be added or if the contracts are hard enough already.

Coreda

There is actually. Raffard Dedoction.

Superior White Raffard's Decoction refills health completely, it's fantastic. There's also an ability one can invest in that regens health outside of combat, haven't tried it though.

Wish patches were compatible with older saves. So many moments I'd re-experience.

Without any spoilers, can anyone tell me if there is a "point of no return" in this game or is it possible to continue doing side quests, contracts, and treasure hunts after completing the main quest line?

After 80 hours on file, I really want to see how the story plays out, especially since I'm starting to get quite over leveled.

The second act of the game will notify you that upon continuing some quests will fail if you haven't completed them (only important main quests afaik, no side quests failed for me), but it's a fair way in and allows you to finish them up if you need. Otherwise side quests continue to be available after completion.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Superior White Raffard's Decoction refills health completely, it's fantastic. There's also an ability one can invest in that regens health outside of combat, haven't tried it though.

Wish patches were compatible with older saves. So many moments I'd re-experience.

Patches are compatible with older saves. I've definitely loaded old 1.04 saves on newer patches.

Skii

There is actually. Raffard Dedoction.

Ah okay, I'll have a look when I'm next on.

Swallow potion can be prepared early in Wild Orchard.

I think one of my side quests is asking me to find the stuff for the swallow potion. I just can't find any of it at the moment.

Also just finished the main quest that had me
slaying the griffin of White Orchard. Very easy fight even on hard. Now I have its head dangling off my horse lol. I thought it would be taken as proof by the army guy.

Should I leave White Orchard now or are there a lot more interesting side missions to find? I also found the side mission in the White Orchard Cemetery.

Coreda

Patches are compatible with older saves. I've definitely loaded old 1.04 saves on newer patches.

Oh wow, you're right. Never actually tried as the game tips state they're incompatible. Perhaps it's because bugs might occur, who knows.

tauke

Did you fight guards and get defeated?

The guards in The Witcher 3 should have taken those Witcher contracts as they can defeat Geralt easily. :(

I once accidentally draw my sword in front of the guards and they proceed to rekt me. Guess what I'm 3000 crowns poorer from 5000 crowns after waking up from being KO by them...

I'm in act 2. I'm not a big fan of all the menial shit I have to do to get people on board. At least in Mass Effect it deepened your bond with the character. Here it mostly just seems like menial shit. Can I skip it? At least I have
Metz
Triss
and
Yen
with me at
Kaer Morhen
so that should lead to some fireworks.

if you think that's enough , they would have taken care of the wild hunt years ago already

Oh wow, you're right. Never actually tried as the game tips state they're incompatible. Perhaps it's because bugs might occur, who knows.

it's the opposite.. you can't load a save made on a newer patch in an older version of the game.

Say you've got a save on 1.05 , you can't use it , if you revert to 1.00 for example. that's all there is.

An 1.02 save will load on 1.07

Majestad

Banned
Where do I find better Gwent cards? The people I play against have 10 value cars while I'm stuck with poor fucking infantries lol.

The guards in The Witcher 3 should have taken those Witcher contracts as they can defeat Geralt easily. :(

I once accidentally draw my sword in front of the guards and they proceed to rekt me. Guess what I'm 3000 crowns poorer from 5000 crowns after waking up from being KO by them...

Yeah, it's always an annoying but necessary thing in games like this to balance gameplay. Every damn guard in the world is stronger than a Witcher, hell, stronger than most bosses. It's like in WoW, where the guards are all max level, but a bunch of level 1 imps are giving the town trouble.

I love this game, but I swear every patch is so glitchy.

I have the superior wolven chest armor diagram, I can see it in the menu, but when I go to the master armorer, it's not there. *game restart and now it shows*

The icon for the tawny owl potion stays on the screen when it runs out, with the timer saying 1 minute.

In cutscenes, NPCs in the background have no texture on their faces sometimes now. The model wasn't loading for others, so a mug was floating in the air as they drank.

The tutorial hint for pinning alchemy diagrams pops up every time.

I don't remember seeing Ciri's neck seam before this alternate DLC armor.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
These are still broken for me. Haven't played since early June so expected them to be sorted out. Basically completed the game at level 32 just had some left overs including the DLC quests.

Also the little house East to Novigrad with an old lady and some children playing outside. It always has a yellow ! with here but nothing happens.

These are still broken for me. Haven't played since early June so expected them to be sorted out. Basically completed the game at level 32 just had some left overs including the DLC quests.

Also the little house East to Novigrad with an old lady and some children playing outside. It always has a yellow ! with here but nothing happens.

If you have a ! on the map yet nothing happens, then change the time of the day

zer0das

Banned

Pretty sure you can disable that in options.

Do you guys tackle contracts while they're still beyond your level or only go for them once you're at or close to the recommended level? I'm just wondering if there's challenge to be added or if the contracts are hard enough already.

It depends where you're at as far as levels/skills. When I was level 20 I was doing quests 5, 6 levels above me on death march. Beyond that is probably too much because it is hard to inflict enough damage.

ebevan91

I try to do the "grey" quests first unless they are ones like gwent, races, or fistfighting. You don't get a lot of XP from those so allows you to keep doing quests without leveling up. Then I do the ones that are below my level but green, unless I'm at a point where I can't continue a quest yet. Then I do the ones that are above my level but still green.

I have two questions:

1. Where can I find the formula for the Superior White Raffard potion ?
2. Is there a way to sidestep the bug in the Skellige Enemy Number One quest ? Apparently it is unfinishable, but is it absolute ?

Lexxism

Poor
Skjall
. Probably the most unfortunate guy I witnessed (encountered) in this game even
after his death

Finalow

- The hardest difficulty becomes quite easy after the first 10 levels.

- Free DLC stuff can be gotten as soon as you get to the right locations in the game.

I think he's asking if there are overpowered or easily exploitable items/abilities, like Witcher 2's Quen.

... I think it would still be Quen. :p There are certain combinations of Abilities and potions that will let you Whirl 'n Rend for days, but other folks could explain that better.
yes that is what I was asking. anyway thanks for the answers.

so anyone playing with the PS4 version? Besides the lack of 60fps :mad: is it good enough?

Sai

Thanks! Is it good?
Not really.

so anyone playing with the PS4 version? Besides the lack of 60fps :mad: is it good enough?
It's going to depend on who you ask. You may want to read/watch Digital Foundry's analysis of the PS4 version of the game.

It's hardly perfect on the PS4 or Xbox One, but I've found the game playable since day one. Seems to be becoming much more common, but I feel like some folks sometimes over-exaggerate just how bad it is when it comes to framerate dips 'n hiccups in games, and I feel that may be the case with how some people grade Witcher 3's performance as well. Some people seem so sensitive to inconsistent framerates that they get literally sick, and not all of them seem to come from a PC background.

Personally, unless it turns into a straight-up slideshow, I just don't take as much issue with things like this.

Jamaro85

As if eight save slots wasn't bad enough, I now have to use those same slots for a new game? I really don't get why this is and why it hasnt been changed in a patch.

Anyway, I'm not sure there's any game I've been more sad to see come to an end than this. Things moved so fast with the events after the final battle, but I guess it was needed for dramatic effect and intrigue, with (end game spoiler)
not showing what happened when Ciri went through the portal to take on the White Frost. I felt for Geralt having to lose Ciri again (to the throne), with seeing how close they really were as the game went on. And apparently that ending could've gone a whole lot differently with Ciri's battle with the White Frost, so much so that I don't even want to post it in spoiler tags.

It isn't a perfect game, but it will probably go down as my favorite of all time.

And one more thing - romancing Triss turned out to be a huge disappointment for me. So much so that I am going through the game again in story mode to make amends with Yennifer. (Not really a spoiler)
And of course to see how making a few different decisions would've affected things.

heringer

Saw some endings on Youtube. I liked mine the best
Geralt gives Ciri a sword, teaches her everything he knows and they part ways. Geralt and Yennefer lived happy lives together
. That said, the bad ending was the most emotional for sure. Never saw Geralt
bursting in anger and sadness like that. Really well done. Not to mention you get to finish the last crone. In the end, he wants to die and monsters begin to swarm the house he is in... really good, but heartbreaking.

The perfect ending would be a mix between the bad one and the happy one.

Can you guys answer a (end game spoilers?) question for me?

I've exhausted my quest log down to a couple treasure hunts that are beyond my level. My only real quest is to find Ciri on the Island of Mists. Before heading there the game warned me that I should save as some quests will be inaccessible after visiting the island.

It really feels like I'm nearing the end of the game, but a LOT of loose threads haven't been wrapped up. For instance, where is Philippa? What's going on with the assassination plot involving Sigi and Roche? How am I not of a level to use the highest gear despite no longer having quests to gain experience?

Also I'm still missing a decent amount of high level oil recipes.

Did I somehow miss something?

Edit: One more thing,
a couple people essentially told me to fuck myself when I asked for their help at Kaer Morhen. Could that have gone differently? Sigi and Emhyr are two examples.

Can you guys answer a (end game spoilers?) question for me?

I've exhausted my quest log down to a couple treasure hunts that are beyond my level. My only real quest is to find Ciri on the Island of Mists. Before heading there the game warned me that I should save as some quests will be inaccessible after visiting the island.

It really feels like I'm nearing the end of the game, but a LOT of loose threads haven't been wrapped up. For instance, where is Philippa? What's going on with the assassination plot involving Sigi and Roche? How am I not of a level to use the highest gear despite no longer having quests to gain experience? I'm still missing a decent amount of high level oil recipes.

Did I somehow miss something?

Haha no, you're a little less than halfway through act 2. Then you got all of act 3 too. Since you've done so many quests though, note that you've done the majority of the game, so these next acts will be much shorter, but no, you are nowhere near the end of the game.

For your edit:
Do you mean Dijkstra? Yes, he can provide financial aid. Geralt will always turn down Emhyr because he doesn't want the general to lead the assault and also take Ciri.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Saw some endings on Youtube. I liked mine the best
Geralt gives Ciri a sword, teaches her everything he knows and they part ways. Geralt and Yennefer lived happy lives together
. That said, the bad ending was the most emotional for sure. Never saw Geralt
bursting in anger and sadness like that. Really well done. Not to mention you get to finish the last crone. In the end, he wants to die and monsters begin to swarm the house he is in... really good, but heartbreaking.

The perfect ending would be a mix between the bad one and the happy one.

I got the "bad" ending and honestly it hit me quite hard in the feels. I liked it though, it was a really strong way to end the story.

I'm going through again on Death March now and hope to get a better ending. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

Coreda

Ah okay, I'll have a look when I'm next on.

Also forgot to mention Quen's second or third level allows you to enable an alternate mode that partially restores vitality from damage taken.

I think it's a bug, yeah. As zer0das said disabling tutorial tips would temporarily fix the issue, but likely will be fixed next patch.

Btw is this an area in the game? Was featured in the Beautiful World of The Witcher trailer but can't recall seeing it (might be the elevated view).

Top Bottom