• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Without spoiling anything too big, what is at that big-ass tree? Y'know, the one you can see from basically anywhere in southern Velen? I tried to go up there once but just ran into a village full of level 26 foglets and a locked door. Do you go there later in the main quest or a side quest?
You'll get access to that door as part of the main quest when the game gets linear for a while.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Without spoiling anything too big, what is at that big-ass tree? Y'know, the one you can see from basically anywhere in southern Velen? I tried to go up there once but just ran into a village full of level 26 foglets and a locked door. Do you go there later in the main quest or a side quest?

And where the fuck is balisse fruit? Nobody, I mean basically nobody, sells it, and I haven't found it growing anywhere since basically the beginning of the game.

That big ass tree will show up and it will be one of the harder moments in the game. Dont worry, if you have made it that far its doable, but there is a part that can be pretty tough.

Effect

Okay I haven't played the game in about a month yet the game is downloading a 7gb update. What was added and patched into the game in the last two months or so?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Deathmarch NG+ actually plays differently than just regular deathmarch.

Maybe it was something I never noticed in the first deathmarch playthrough, but in NG+ deathmarch enemies that have the skull above their head seem to massive damage if not outright one hit kill you. I never recalled this happening in my regular deathmarch run.

In short in NG+ it seems like the developers are encouraging you to do quests that are within your level.

Also one advantage to NG+ is that its much harder to overlevel since it requires much more XP to level up.

I have no idea how I am expected to get to Level 63 to use mastercrafted legendary witcher armor.

Just finished the main story tonight. Overall it was a satisfying conclusion. There wasnt some grand statement being made, just a closure on the main characters arc and thats fine. I think I got the "good" ending and started to miss it before the epilogue was over.

The game is massive. Packed with content and tons to do and I want more. Bring on the DLC.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
And where the fuck is balisse fruit? Nobody, I mean basically nobody, sells it, and I haven't found it growing anywhere since basically the beginning of the game.
The Herbalist in White Orchard sells some. Temira or something.
I thought I found some near water in Velen, but I could be misstaken. A herb guide would have been very welcome.

I bought some Balisse Fruit from the Southern Herbalist in Novigrad city. It isnt marked on the map, but just follow the path west of Rosemary and Tine.

ScribbleD

My PC is getting up there in years and is running Witcher 3 pretty poorly. Now that they've had time to patch the console versions, is it worth picking up the PS4 version yet?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
My PC is getting up there in years and is running Witcher 3 pretty poorly. Now that they've had time to patch the console versions, is it worth picking up the PS4 version yet?

Still runs like complete garbage much of the time. The 20 fps lock situation hasn't really been improved at all AFAIK. CDPR are obviously not competent enough console devs to sort this mess out.

JoeNut

wtf is going on in skellige, i think i've missed something because i don't have a clue how i am now hunting for a werewolf in a garden with yennifer. confused as hell im sure it's just transported me into a new mission or something. what have i missed here?

owlbeak

I think I am finally near the end of the game's story. I am trying to wrap it up so I'll be ready for any DLC and I've avoided spoilers since May, so I feel I am pushing my luck. I don't want the ending spoiled since I've been very invested in the three Witcher games and they are possibly my favorite trilogy in gaming.

That being said, I'd like to know how close I am to the end:

End of Act II spoilers:
I have completed the battle for Kaer Morhen, completed the Bald Mountain quest with Ciri, and returned to Novigrad and found Phillipa. I believe my current quest is "Final Preparations".
I am assuming this is the last major story quest?

rakhir

wtf is going on in skellige, i think i've missed something because i don't have a clue how i am now hunting for a werewolf in a garden with yennifer. confused as hell im sure it's just transported me into a new mission or something. what have i missed here?
Geralt and Yen want to find a guy who
saw Ciri, but he went fight with the warewolf to regain his honor.
Now our power couple needs to find him in the gardens, hopefully alive, and defeat the warewolf if needed.
I have completed the battle for Kaer Morhen, completed the Bald Mountain quest with Ciri, and returned to Novigrad and found Phillipa. I believe my current quest is "Final Preparations".
I am assuming this is the last major story quest?
Yes, that's the end.

Fiiiiiinally getting this game tomorrow. Got a PS4 three days ago with TLOU and God of War 3. Have some discount cards so I'm able to get The Witcher 3 for €29 :D

Can't wait. Probably going to start on Death March, I want The Witcher 3 to be my first platinum.

And my friends list is still really empty, if anyone wants to add me my PSN is GasProblem.

God I've been looking forward to this since the game released :p

RDreamer

Yes, that's the end.

That's not true. There's a few quests before the end. They kind of lead into one another and you can technically fly through them, but "Final Preparations" is not the last story quest.

After that there's at least 4 other quests and then the epilogue

JoeNut

Geralt and Yen want to find a guy who
saw Ciri, but he went fight with the warewolf to regain his honor.
Now our power couple needs to find him in the gardens, hopefully alive, and defeat the warewolf if needed.

Ah thanks, god knows what happened for me to miss that, i must say ive gotten a bit bored of searching for Ciri.

anywho
i killed the werewolf instead of feeding him, that voice was really annoying

Skii

Really enjoying Gwent at the moment. My deck is coming along pretty nicely with 3 heros in it!

Are there any gwent cards found in caves and stuff like that? Or are they strictly won against opponents or bought at vendors?

I've heard that you can "miss" cards and don't want to end up failing the "collect all gwent cards" quest.

Also, the biggest problem with this game is the fact that it doesn't autosave near enough. I beat a really tough opponent at gwent (just a normal vendor) but then I ended up falling what could've only been 10 feet which killed me and I was forced to spend another 30 minutes trying to beat the vendor again.

Skii

Nope. 100% vendors, quests and gwent opponents.

Okay that's good. Are there any more noteworthy opponents to face in Velen/Novigrad if you've beaten the inkeep quests as well as Velen's big players and Novigrad's big players? Obviously if its spoils the story, then I don't need to know haha.

Okay that's good. Are there any more noteworthy opponents to face in Velen/Novigrad if you've beaten the inkeep quests as well as Velen's big players and Novigrad's big players? Obviously if its spoils the story, then I don't need to know haha.

Done the big tournament already?

Can't remember, but if there's another questline with noteworthy characters, you'll get it automatically in due time. Remember that almost every inkeeper and merchant who plays gwent gives you a card the first time you defeat them.

Skii

Done the big tournament already?

No. I've just unlocked that quest but it says I need to be level 24 (I'm currently level 13).

What I've done so far is:
- Inkeep quest in Velen
- Gwent: Velen players
- Gwent: Big City players

I would google this stuff usually but I don't want the story spoiled at all.

Can't remember, but if there's another questline with noteworthy characters, you'll get it automatically in due time. Remember that almost every inkeeper and merchant who plays gwent gives you a card the first time you defeat them.

I've beaten every vendor I find. I don't get that too many decent cards from them. Still can't form a proper monster/scoetel deck yet.

What is interesting is that the card you receive from general vendors is randomised. I received a decent card when I forgot to save and when I did it again, got an awful card lol.

I've beaten every vendor I find. I don't get that too many decent cards from them. Still can't form a proper monster/scoetel deck yet.

What is interesting is that the card you receive from general vendors is randomised. I received a decent card when I forgot to save and when I did it again, got an awful card lol.

Correct, and there are also more vendors that play Gwent than there are cards, to ensure wiggle-room in case you miss one.

As for the card types, you will find monster cards in Skellige, and a lot of Scoia'Tael there as well, although you should have gotten quite a few Scoia'Tael cards in Novigrad.

Also again you don't need to google any of these quests, as you'll get them automatically. You can't miss them, really.

Skii

Correct, and there are also more vendors that play Gwent than there are cards, to ensure wiggle-room in case you miss one.

As for the card types, you will find monster cards in Skellige, and a lot of Scoia'Tael there as well, although you should have gotten quite a few Scoia'Tael cards in Novigrad.

Also again you don't need to google any of these quests, as you'll get them automatically. You can't miss them, really.

Oh okay, thanks for all the info! Guess I'll have to actually start playing the game now instead of sinking all my time into gwent lol.

Tybolt

Banned
I'm working on the game and I'm badly in need of new gear to help me push my way through Death March. I'm at level 5, just finished up with the Wandering in the Dark quest and I'm getting set up with the Bloody Baron quest now. I ran into the armorers there in the castle but their gear seems to be pretty lousy and I'm at a bit of a loss on where I should start looking for some upgrades. Suggestions?

I'm running with the Viper School equipment but it's not nearly enough unless everything off the main quest path is supposed to be a one-shot.

HeelPower

Question without story spoilers.How to meet
Philippa Eilhart
?

I have already done Redania's Most Wanted.Just wondering if this is missable or obscure ,because I really like that character.

Also should I hold off doing "A Deadly Plot" ? Is it related to meeting her ?

Appreciate answers without too many spoilers!

Sai

I'm working on the game and I'm badly in need of new gear to help me push my way through Death March. I'm at level 5, just finished up with the Wandering in the Dark quest and I'm getting set up with the Bloody Baron quest now. I ran into the armorers there in the castle but their gear seems to be pretty lousy and I'm at a bit of a loss on where I should start looking for some upgrades. Suggestions?

I'm running with the Viper School equipment but it's not nearly enough unless everything off the main quest path is supposed to be a one-shot.
I ran with the Viper swords until I completed my Griffin set at around Lv10(maybe 12? I forget). There are better swords you can get until that point, like from Contracts. Might even get lucky and find a good one in a hidden/guarded treasure spot.

Question without story spoilers.How to meet
Philippa Eilhart
?

I have already done Redania's Most Wanted.Just wondering if this is missable or obscure ,because I really like that character.

Also should I hold off doing "A Deadly Plot" ? Is it related to meeting her ?

Appreciate answers without too many spoilers!
Philippa
doesn't show up until later in the game. It actually becomes an important part of the main questline, so you won't miss her.

A Deadly Plot is related to a series of quests she's involved in, but you won't meet her during it, or mess up your progress by completing it. So, get it over with, there's another good surprise waiting for you at the quest's end. :D

HeelPower

Philippa
doesn't show up until later in the game. It actually becomes an important part of the main questline, so you won't miss her.

A Deadly Plot is related to a series of quests she's involved in, but you won't meet her during it, or mess up your progress by completing it. So, get it over with, there's another good surprise waiting for you at the quest's end. :D

Thanks a bunch!

This is just what I wanted to hear :D

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

The surprise he is referring to is another obtainable Gwent card.

Just so you're not expecting the wrong thing.

Just bought this game yesterday on my PS4, and I'm going to play it with my wife today. Any tips we should have right from the beginning? Spoiler free ones!

I'd love to avoid the "you should have levelled up this or that right from the bat to quicker reach higher levels etc."

Alpende

Just bought this game yesterday on my PS4, and I'm going to play it with my wife today. Any tips we should have right from the beginning? Spoiler free ones!

I'd love to avoid the "you should have levelled up this or that right from the bat to quicker reach higher levels etc."

Quen is your friend.

Fbh

Man, my Ps4 decided to "corrupt" the data of the game.

Thankfully the save files seem to be fine, but I had to reinstall the game and redownload the 7,5gb update. That kinda sucks, I don't have that much time to play at the moment and the night I actually had I couldn't play because I had to wait for the update to download

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Yes, be patient and learn to use your signs. Go to herbalists and buy potion manuscripts. Always always always make use of thunderbolt since it will make you mod more damage,

If you're playing on the higher difficulties combat can be very frustrating. Especially in tight quarters. But just be patient and make use of Quin and Axii.

daevv

I'm at the Isle of Mist quest but I'm not high enough level to do the last few contracts for the complete all contracts trophy on PS4. Can I finish the game and go back to those contracts later or will they fail if I continue?

Damn, on death march, that one ciri boss battle is fucking bullshit. It's super long, super tricky, super hard to not get hit and land safe hit, it takes forever, that dumb girl goes with no potions, no oil no silver... Haven't she learnt anything from her stay at Kaer Morhen ?

I had no idea they were witcher-specific potions. Makes you wonder how many manuscripts the herbalists sell...

That's one of the whole points of being a witcher. Your body can endure and handle potions that would be poison to humans.

That's a good point regarding the herbalists though, lol. Another instance of video game logic, I guess.

Top Bottom