• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Got the game yesterday, been playing on Death March. Combat is a lot of fun. If there's a pack of drowners/wolves , I weave in and out of combat until one chases me and I can kill them 1v1. Get a few hits in, dodge back, get a few hits in etc. I use Quen to save my ass. Sun & Stars gives me some health regeneration which is nice, although meditating refills my Swallow potions so I just need to make sure I keep a stock of alcohol. Just fought a bear. My hands got a bit sweaty while fighting it but I beat it in one try :)

There's this point of interest in White Orchard
with a high level wraith that can one hit me guarding a place of power. I guess I'm supposed to beat it later? I could try to beat it using Yrd maybe.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Got the game yesterday, been playing on Death March. Combat is a lot of fun. If there's a pack of drowners/wolves , I weave in and out of combat until one chases me and I can kill them 1v1. Get a few hits in, dodge back, get a few hits in etc. I use Quen to save my ass. Sun & Stars gives me some health regeneration which is nice, although meditating refills my Swallow potions so I just need to make sure I keep a stock of alcohol. Just fought a bear. My hands got a bit sweaty while fighting it but I beat it in one try :)

There's this point of interest in White Orchard
with a high level wraith that can one hit me guarding a place of power. I guess I'm supposed to beat it later? I could try to beat it using Yrd maybe.
If i'm wrong this is going to sound insane, but are you a duck?

Technically, it's possible to beat him. Especially with some Swallow potions and Sun & Stars, which is a pretty essential perk on Death March.
Just, be carefull. And don't get cocky.

It's worth it to investigate this particular POI before finishing White Orchard. I'll just leave it at that.

Getting flanked is the fastest way to die. Even a pack of weak Wild Dogs kill you easily if you don't pay attention. I love the combat, though. You need to prepare, pay attention and be equally patient as quick on your feet.
Close quarter fights inside houses are dreadfull, though.

Just finished the Wild At Heart sidequest. Great Scott that last fight was difficult.
His health regenerates so fast, it's insane. Axii helped, a lot. And some firebombs. However, I got instakilled several times after the short cutscene with Hanna's sister. That was a bit clunky, and the first time the game annoyed me
Fun and challenging fight, though. Even with that issue.

Are you playing with POI's shown on the map on or off?
Oh, and be sure to purchase the Arrow blocking perk when your ready to leave White Orchard. I've encountered lot's of archers in Velen.

Does anyone know how to install mods for the GOG version of the game? I'm trying to install the main map zoom from Nexus. I'm not sure which folder to extract it to as there isn't a folder for mods anywhere like there is for the Steam version.

Thorgal

Does anyone know how to install mods for the GOG version of the game? I'm trying to install the main map zoom from Nexus. I'm not sure which folder to extract it to as there isn't a folder for mods anywhere like there is for the Steam version.

I think you can make the folder yourself and it will work.

Acrylic7

Playing the GOG version of this game and have had 4 crashes in the past 30 mins. I'm pretty sure it isn't my rig. Any idea how to troubleshoot the problem?

The game screen disappears and I only see my desktop, but the audio still plays and I can hear the game still running.

Any suggestions?

RedSwirl

Okay, I'm about to start Isle of Mists.
I know it's not the end of the game but
could someone give me a non-spoiler estimate of where it's at and what's ahead?

I've done basically every side quest I could find (and care about) save for a couple Witcher contracts that are level 30+ (and Skellige's Most Wanted which is glitched in my game). That and I apparently don't have all gwent cards yet. I've done every gwent quest, including the tournament (which I won).

Should I go ahead and turn the undiscovered points of interest back on so I can go ahead and clean them up? How obvious is the actual point of no return for this game?

Edit: Some other questions.

1) Philippa has not shown up at all yet. I started Redania's Most Wanted, gave the stone to Yennefer, and told Radovid about the lab. Is that it? I'm pretty sure she's probably the bird that's hanging out in Dandelion's place.

2) So the Kill Radovid plot continues after Isle of Mists right?

3) Does Triss come back at all if you let hear leave Novigrad?

Okay, I'm about to start Isle of Mists.
You sound like you're good to go on starting the Isle of Mists.
It's about 2/3rds or 3/4ths through the story. There's a lot less new side quests afterwords which makes it much shorter than before.
Yes, the end will be pretty obvious.

Edit: Some other questions.

1) Philippa has not shown up at all yet. I started Redania's Most Wanted, gave the stone to Yennefer, and told Radovid about the lab. Is that it? I'm pretty sure she's probably the bird that's hanging out in Dandelion's place.

2) So the Kill Radovid plot continues after Isle of Mists right?

3) Does Triss come back at all if you let hear leave Novigrad?
All of those things continue after
the Isle of Mists.

Coreda

Playing the GOG version of this game and have had 4 crashes in the past 30 mins. I'm pretty sure it isn't my rig. Any idea how to troubleshoot the problem?

The game screen disappears and I only see my desktop, but the audio still plays and I can hear the game still running.

Any suggestions?

A few things to try:

- Try changing to exclusive fullscreen mode ('Fullscreen' in the graphics settings) as this has helped several users with a similar issue.

- Make sure your Nvidia drivers are up to date.

- Check that your GPU isn't overheating (I have custom fan curves via Afterburner to push a bit more air as without it I sometimes crash).

TripOpt55

Feel like I'm heading down the homestretch now. Excited to see how it finishes. Worried about all the choices I am making too... haha.

Alpende

Is there a way to get that Foltest gwent card it was easy to miss?

You mean the glitched one in the beginning where you have to save a person in distress?

IIRC you're still shit out of luck if you came across that glitch in your playtrough. I did get it on my NG+ run though.

Coreda

Nice to see the Hearts of Stone expansion getting a limited retail release with physical Gwent decks for those who missed out the first time.

Alpende

wish i had some better gwent cards. cant come close to beating anyone in novrigard

Start from White Orchard and move your way up, buy every card and try to play every merchant, do every Gwent quest. Not all merchants play and not all merchants have cards for sale though.

Bessy67

Does your stash carry over to new game +? I'm thinking of making a bunch of mastercrafted stuff before I finish my first playthrough and putting it in the stash so I have access to it right away in my next game without having to do the quests for the master armorer/blacksmith.

diaspora

I just finished this a few nights ago. Good game, but the swimming, sailing, witcher senses, and indoor fov make me want to slap somebody.

Finally finished after ~108 hours. Amazing game, amazing experience -- easily in my top 10.

I've got "finished-game" syndrome right now (AKA end-game emptiness) but it feels different with this. The world was so fleshed out and believable that I can tell I'm going to really miss it.

The DLC should scratch the itch for a bit, but this was, and will always be, something very special.

jombag

Finally finished after ~108 hours. Amazing game, amazing experience -- easily in my top 10.

I've got "finished-game" syndrome right now (AKA end-game emptiness) but it feels different with this. The world was so fleshed out and believable that I can tell I'm going to really miss it.

The DLC should scratch the itch for a bit, but this was, and will always be, something very special.

I literally just finished it now and I'm sad that it ended. I agree with you 100%

RedSwirl

Just got
"Final Preparations" in my quest menu after killing Imerith.
Can I go and start doing quests and stuff again now?

Dead

well not really...yet
Put in 6 hours in the game today after not playing for over a month.

Turned off question marks on map, and it's so much better.

hitgirl

Will I miss a gwent card -

For ugly Baby quest I'm suppose to talk to the Baron. But I also have a quest where I'm suppose to play him Gwent. Can only talk to him about the Ugly Baby quest which I think starts the new area. Wondering if I'll never be able to play Gwent vs him.

T-Rex.

Banned
I've just bought a digital copy of the game since the game + expansion pass was on sale, but for some reason it doesn't seem to recognise any of my previous game saves. Is there any way I can get them to load? I had a physical copy back in May and completed the game.

Joco

Game is a cakewalk with Mastercrafted Bear gear. I mean, even once I got the starting Griffin gear the game was a lot easier, but now it's really easy. Death March difficulty too.

Still having a good time though. Finished Reason of State so I'm guessing tomorrow I'll beat the game.

Will I miss a gwent card -

For ugly Baby quest I'm suppose to talk to the Baron. But I also have a quest where I'm suppose to play him Gwent. Can only talk to him about the Ugly Baby quest which I think starts the new area. Wondering if I'll never be able to play Gwent vs him.

Nah, from what I gather you should be fine.

Alpende

Does your stash carry over to new game +? I'm thinking of making a bunch of mastercrafted stuff before I finish my first playthrough and putting it in the stash so I have access to it right away in my next game without having to do the quests for the master armorer/blacksmith.

It does, except for the stuff that isn't supposed to carry over like monster trophies and stuff.

Bessy67

It does, except for the stuff that isn't supposed to carry over like monster trophies and stuff.
OK, cool. I just blew pretty much all my cash and good crafting supplies making complete mastercrafted sets of all the witcher gear (ursine, wolven, feline, griffin). Now to choose which to use in NG+...

Karl Hawk

Banned
OK, cool. I just blew pretty much all my cash and good crafting supplies making complete mastercrafted sets of all the witcher gear (ursine, wolven, feline, griffin). Now to choose which to use in NG+...

Keep in mind, that the gear you crafted will be grow weaker when you're leveling up on NG+ (Yes, even the mastercrafted gear). So you must collect and craft the legendary (NG+ of Witcher gear) diagrams of Witcher gear as soon you're able.

LegendX48

So I just finished the Reason of state quest and I'm in a bit of an argument with my cousin. He is insisting that he finished up the entire reason of state quest line during act 1, before ever bothering with the brother's in arms or battle of kaer morhen quests... Is that possible? I had to wait until act 3 for it to trigger.

thanks

Davide

I haven't played this game in over a week because I don't want to regret choosing Yennefer or Triss. I've been recommended here to choose Yen but I only like Triss. I know there's a patch coming to expand both romances, maybe I'll wait for it and play MGSV in the meantime.

Terra_Ex

So I just finished the Reason of state quest and I'm in a bit of an argument with my cousin. He is insisting that he finished up the entire reason of state quest line during act 1, before ever bothering with the brother's in arms or battle of kaer morhen quests... Is that possible? I had to wait until act 3 for it to trigger.
Not possible. The last part of the questline doesn't open up until act 3.
You have to have completed Blindingly Obvious to get Philippa and unlock RoS, which doesn't happen till near the end.

Karl Hawk

Banned
You have to have completed Blindingly Obvious to get Philippa and unlock RoS, which doesn't happen till near the end.

In addition, you have to be nice to Djisktra as possible and feed him information at the end of Blindingly Obvious in order to unlock Reason of State. Otherwise, you'll fail to open it

ezekial45

Banned
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the Steam sale for this. Will my rig be able to run this well?

GTX 760
8GB RAM
i5-4670 3.40 GHz
Windows 10

Hoplatee

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the Steam sale for this. Will my rig be able to run this well?

GTX 760
8GB RAM
i5-4670 3.40 GHz
Windows 10

I have 16 gig / i5 3570 (or something like that) and used the GTX670 before upgrading. I couldn't reach 60 fps with that so I settled on everything on highest setting (apart from some grass setting) and it runs pretty much around 30 fps (and capped to not go over 30) Lowest I got was 26 but you can tweak it plenty. Hairworks off obviously. So you should be fine!

Using the 970 now. Such a big difference!

E)corrected

Dr.Acula

Banned
My only knock on the game is that the townspeople seem so lifeless. Previous Witcher games had so many more people to talk to, even if they didn't say much.

GTX 760
8GB RAM
i5-4670 3.40 GHz
Windows 10

Same ram, i5-750 with a 4gb 770 and I run it at 1080 with most settings on low at 45fps. I'd be hard pressed to tell low from high though.

LegendX48

Finally finished the game @ 64hrs and 52min. So good but really overwhelming with how much stuff there is to do both on the side and for the main quest. Got a decent ending too, I think.

That's what I thought. hmm...

Joco

Finally beat the game. I wasn't very invested in the main story (haven't read the novels, and the world and sidequests were generally more interesting to me), but damn if that ending wasn't a bit emotional. I have that empty post-game feeling inside me right now, it sucks. Especially since this was one of the best games I've ever played.

Just wrapped it up, think I got the best ending. I don't know if I'm more impressed by the fact that I've put 100 some hours into this and I'm still not bored with it, or that I still have something like 185 locations I haven't even visited yet.

Curious to see what they do with this series after this. I honestly wish they would do some post plot DLC.

I can't believe I'm considering finishing everything now and then starting a NG+ when the two DLCs hit, but I'm just ridiculously fond of this game world now.

Yu Narukami

I might buy this game in a few days or weeks. I heard without being spoiled that there are good and bad endings. What are the conditions to get these endings? Can someone please tell me in a vague way without spoilers?

Top Bottom