• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

Zzoram

Just finished the DLs, going to install. I hope it isn't broke on Vista x64 like a lot of stuff is. You'd think that by now people would learn to test stuff on Vista x64 during development.

Danj

Naeblish said:
Is there any digital download offer for people in europe? They all seem to be us only.

Hmm, that's weird, I was gonna say it was on Steam but I just searched and it's not on there for me either.

Mrbob

Uhh I'm having an issue here.

The EE patch recognizes my registered copy, but when I try to install it I get an error saying the language version doesn't match up????

Zzoram

No6 said:
Even using Steam?

You don't need to download the EE patch on Steam since it comes as that version already I think. I'm talking about people who bought the original retail box like myself. The game itself runs fine, but the installer needs to be run in Win 95 mode if on a 64-bit OS.

Zzoram

Mrbob said:
Weird...I had to use the chinese language option to do the EE install with my copy.

Did you put the English installer file in the same folder as the EE patch? The EE patch installer searches the folder it's in for the language pack and extracts it for you.

No6

Zzoram said:
You don't need to download the EE patch on Steam since it comes as that version already I think. I'm talking about people who bought the original retail box like myself. The game itself runs fine, but the installer needs to be run in Win 95 mode if on a 64-bit OS.
So what about the boxed EE version?

Mrbob

Zzoram said:
Did you put the English installer file in the same folder as the EE patch? The EE patch installer searches the folder it's in for the language pack and extracts it for you.

Yup. I ran the english language pack after and it installed ok. It was the EE upgrade patch i had to use chinese language to install.

suikodan

Thank you Atari for not including a CD-Key in my box of the original game. Thanks as well for NOT answering my request for one and thanks again for not letting me play this EE since my game isn't registered because of your stupid mistake­...

Mrbob

When did you email them?

It took them a day to get my key out.

Also, the install didn't work! :lol I reinstalled the game and now the english install worked. Modifying files now.

EvolveTom

suikodan said:
Thank you Atari for not including a CD-Key in my box of the original game. Thanks as well for NOT answering my request for one and thanks again for not letting me play this EE since my game isn't registered because of your stupid mistake­...
Theoretically Atari has been very good/quick about getting keys to people... don't they have phone support?

eznark

Banned
holy fuck...where in Gods name do I register the game. This website is a labyrinth of nonsense. The "Registration and Patch" page has neither the registration nor the patch.

Mrbob

How long has it taken for these EE game files to be modified? It says it can take up to two hours (wtf m8z) and it has been a good half hour so far.

eznark said:
holy fuck...where in Gods name do I register the game. This website is a labyrinth of nonsense. The "Registration and Patch" page has neither the registration nor the patch.

Do it from the game launcher.

suikodan

eznark said:

Try running Autorun.exe from your CD. The option should be in the menu.

Pimpbaa

suikodan said:

Fuck! I just remembered I never got a CD-Key either. Didn't care at the time because the installation of the original game didn't need it.

Haeleos

You guys should consider putting up a download site that has ENGLISH INSTRUCTIONS on it. I'm sure Atari has some $ left that they can host a couple files. The release of this patch is sloppy.

Where do I get alternate languages from as well? ie. if I want to play the game in Polish with English subtitles. Is everything included in the one language file? I'm guessing not since it's just the 500mb but I might be wrong.

edit: Oh give me a break. There's no cd key in my box, what the fuck?

eznark

Banned
Haeleos said:
You guys should consider putting up a download site that has ENGLISH INSTRUCTIONS on it. I'm sure Atari has some $ left that they can host a couple files. The release of this patch is sloppy.

Where do I get alternate languages from as well? ie. if I want to play the game in Polish with English subtitles. Is everything included in the one language file? I'm guessing not since it's just the 500mb but I might be wrong.

edit: Oh give me a break. There's no cd key in my box, what the fuck?

front cover of the manual

eznark

Banned
In all honesty, I wish they had just come out and said "look, this patch roll out is going to be a TOTAL clusterfuck. Just prove you bought the game, and you can rebuy the thing for $20." I would have totally done it to make this process smoother.

suikodan

Haeleos said:
Not there.

Why... would they require a cd key for this patch, but not one for the installation of the game?

Apparently it was a mess-up with some NA versions of the game and like you're saying, it's weird that it wasn't needed at the original setup.

Yeah, it sucks...

Haeleos

Atari sent me the cd key in about 5 mins. You're forgiven... for now (haven't installed the patch yet). But seriously... link your english sites to an NA download next time.

suikodan

Haeleos said:
Atari sent me the cd key in about 5 mins. You're forgiven... for now (haven't installed the patch yet). But seriously... link your english sites to an NA download next time.

What? You sent a request today and got it? Via where?????

calder

Zzoram said:
There was an error in the retail US version of EE where they forgot to include the blood files. They put up the patch for it pretty quickly, so if you find you don't have blood and it's turned on, just get the patch.

I'm not sure if they fixed that for the EE download.
Yeah, how would I do that on Steam? Anyone know if the Steam EE is patched yet (I assume if it was it'd be automatic)? Now that I'm fighting humans the complete lack of blood is kinda annoying, when killing monsters I barely noticed but now I can't un-notice the lack. :p

Ah n/m, figured out what I was doing wrong trying to install the stand-alone patch and it seems to have worked now - well it installed fine at least haven't actually played yet. If you don't want to wait for Steam to update it check out this thread.

Naeblish

Steam: Games from Atari are only available in North America. * The Witcher is also available in Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Czech Republic, Croatia, Estonia, Hungary, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Poland, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey, and Ukraine.

ugh

Danj

Naeblish said:
Steam: Games from Atari are only available in North America. * The Witcher is also available in Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Czech Republic, Croatia, Estonia, Hungary, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Poland, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey, and Ukraine.
ugh

WTF? So it's available in Eastern Europe but not Western Europe? Bizarre.

Haeleos

Does anyone have a mirror for any of the foreign language files? Wanted to grab them all, but not at 70kb/s...

BeeDog

HOLY SHIT, they definitely didn't kid around when they said they would improve on the loading times; it's almost instantaneous for me now!

Have been playing Side Effects (the one where you have to raise money), and so far, it's been an okay; definitely nothing to write home about, but still a decent bonus quest.

krzy123

I never got around to finishing Price of Neutrality in 1.3, i guess this patch will give me some motivation to due so, though I kinda stopped right near the end heh.

If you're upgrading from the original do you need the blood patch as well? Or is this just for the ones who bought the EE?

GHG

Gold Member
Oh FFS what is this crap about the language versions not being the same? What do I do? Can I just scrap all this and register my copy of the game on steam?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BeeDog said:
HOLY SHIT, they definitely didn't kid around when they said they would improve on the loading times; it's almost instantaneous for me now!

Have been playing Side Effects (the one where you have to raise money), and so far, it's been an okay; definitely nothing to write home about, but still a decent bonus quest.

Also the game runs amazingly well. Looks like they improved performance dramatically. Was never a super-demanding game, but it's nice to see DoF working well now and everything just seems to be so much smoother.

Top Bottom