• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

Fredescu

PeteJ said:
Got a question though - what are those magical engergy things for? I get they enhance sign power (I think?) but unlike everything else in the game I cannot find any information on them.
Places of Power initially double sign power. With intelligence upgrades you can make them do other things, but I'm not sure those are really worth spending talents on. Up to you I guess. They have other story related functions that you'll find out about in due course.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
PeteJ said:
Also on chapter one where you
bury the body, a ghost appeared to have a natter (can't remember its name, but it looked important!) - my Journal says its the second time they've spoken, and yet I can't remember the first. Did I miss something?

The Journal is referring to
Geralts brush with Death (aka King of the Wild Hunt) that everyone keeps talking about. More will come of this later.

longdi

Banned
I got this game after console version is cancelled. Im at chapter 1 and so far my view is that it is quite diablo-ish. You got the central hub and you run around doing quests. Not very intriguing as BG2...the quests, stats growing, speech options, alchemy, looting felt cut and dry...the writing and cutscenes seems to hint at bigger things but they are quite broken in directing, not drawing me in as much ...... does it get better and bigger? One thing for sure, the game feel like it is perfect on a console and gamepad, reminds me of KOTOR on a larger settings.

Decado

Peronthious said:
Usually I'd be happy to hear that a PC franchise remains on the platform it was designed on...but in this case I'd say The Witcher always felt like it would be more at home on consoles. I was looking forward to the revamped combat system.

*sighs* I uninstalled the game in anticipation for the port. I hope I still have my saved game somewhere.

Fredescu

longdi said:
does it get better and bigger?
Definitely. Act I feels like kind of an introduction to the gameplay. It picks up in Act II and again in Act III, slows down a bit for Act IV, then gets amazing in Act V and knocks your fucking socks off in the Epilogue.

Fredescu

I didn't dislike Act IV, but it's certainly the least relevant to the story (apart from most of Act I), which is I think what he was asking. The progression of the story definitely slows down at that point. Act IV was the prettiest too.

Edit: In an attempt to wittily quote and reply to my own post, I managed to delete it. Lucky I had it in cache. Anyway, interested to hear why you prefered Act IV to Act V or the Epilogue.

Chapter 2 rant:

Did anyone else notice the ridiculous amount of "delivery boy" quests in this chapter? Holy shit! At some points I thought I was playing an old school p&c adventure game.
wink.gif

Now in chapter 3 it's a little more balanced, but still too many "go talk to that person and comeback and then go again" shit.
wink.gif

Prine

Banned
Hmm it is sad, im only going to play this if its on console. Looked like an RPG i would love, strong narative and a world full of choices.

Shame.

Varshes

I was holding out for the console version, but now that it is on hold and I recently got a new PC, I bought the Enhanced Edition.

What's the story with the censorship? Is the EE still censored at all? If so, is there a mod that uncensors it that would work with the EE?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Gully State said:
If I didn't enjoy Oblivion, will I enjoy the Witcher?

It depends on what you didn't enjoy about Oblivion. Both are in the "medieval fantasy" genre, although the world in The Witcher is a lot darker and far more realized. The similarities pretty much stop there other than the fact that both are RPGs.

Zefah said:
It depends on what you didn't enjoy about Oblivion. Both are in the "medieval fantasy" genre, although the world in The Witcher is a lot darker and far more realized. The similarities pretty much stop there other than the fact that both are RPGs.

It was the combination of fantasy genre and 1st person combat. I keep hearing that the plot in Witcher is top notch and that's why I'm intrigued in this title.

MCermak

I'm really bummed to hear the console version is canceled. I love RPGs, and the witcher looks really good. Unfortunately my PC would only be able to run it in slideshow mode. :(

Fredescu

Gully State said:
It was the combination of fantasy genre and 1st person combat. I keep hearing that the plot in Witcher is top notch and that's why I'm intrigued in this title.
The Witcher is much better than Oblivion, but at the end of the day you're still casting spells and swinging a sword. What is it you don't like about the fantasy genre? If it's just that you've never read a good book or played a good game in that setting before, then give it a try.

PeteJ

But be warned, Witcher does take a while to get into. The opening four or so hours do not leave a great impression but it does pick up.

Still on chapter 2, got a wake up call when I hit the Swamp and promptly died a few minutes in. Making progress, slowly, but still progress.

longdi

Banned
Im at the part when geralt said absolufuckintastic! :lol

I quite like how the quests are paced, developed and ended. The backstory of the world is starting to open up. But the writing and directing coherency is poor. Would be more drawn to the plot if only the story is better presented. See my first sentence above, is like out of character and out of sudden in the kind of fantasy witcher world.

Truant

longdi said:
Im at the part when geralt said absolufuckintastic! :lol

I quite like how the quests are paced, developed and ended. The backstory of the world is starting to open up. But the writing and directing coherency is poor. Would be more drawn to the plot if only the story is better presented. See my first sentence above, is like out of character and out of sudden in the kind of fantasy witcher world.

Which version are you playing?

longdi

Banned
I playing the EE, it is only version that i can find in shops. The writing and cutscenes have been disjointed and reminds me of early PS1 cinematic rpgs. Cannot be only me who felt this way?

Twig

Banned
longdi said:
I playing the EE, it is only version that i can find in shops. The writing and cutscenes have been disjointed and reminds me of early PS1 cinematic rpgs. Cannot be only me who felt this way?
Uh.

Been a while since I played it but I felt that The Witcher was one of the few games where cutscenes with voice acting were actually any good at all.

L0st Id3ntity said:
Chapter 2 rant:

Did anyone else notice the ridiculous amount of "delivery boy" quests in this chapter? Holy shit! At some points I thought I was playing an old school p&c adventure game.
wink.gif

Now in chapter 3 it's a little more balanced, but still too many "go talk to that person and comeback and then go again" shit.
wink.gif

You are where I quit. I think because I was expecting a high concept game, and it was far from it.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
TheOneGuy said:
Uh.

Been a while since I played it but I felt that The Witcher was one of the few games where cutscenes with voice acting were actually any good at all.

Gotta agree with this. The cutscenes are pretty awesome. The intro in the Prologue is probably the best cutscene/gameplay segment ive seen. i lol'd when the Frightener leaps up and the one guys gets knocked aside and falls over the wall. Amazing what CDP did with the engine.

longdi

Banned
The voice acting is quite well done but is the the story telling with cinematics, scenes transitions felt abrupt and jumpy.

Twig

Banned
longdi said:
The voice acting is quite well done but is the the story telling with cinematics, scenes transitions felt abrupt and jumpy.
This is what I'm saying, though. I thought it was fine.

Normally games without voice acting don't suffer from this problem because it's not as noticeable (in my opinion), but in The Witcher I thought it was perfectly fine, barring a few cases. Exceptions, rules, etc.

I may have rose-tinted glasses. I guess!

Wolfwood0

Neo Member
longdi said:

No man your not. I agree completely and its really the only thing that keeps me from enjoying the game as much as i think it deserves. But most of the conversations just don't fit together well. I mean you can obviously tell English is not this games native language but its more than that. Its like Geralt will ask a question and the response he gets is clearly just being read off of a piece of paper by someone weeks beforehand. Im sure thats the case in most games, but in this one its painfully clear.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/06/03/the-witcher-no-sequel-yet-but-more-stuff/

And the award for Most Prosaic-Ever RPS Headline goes to…

All’s been a bit quiet around well-received, dodgily-translated blood’n'boobs’n'moral deliberation RPG The Witcher for a while, with its fans hoping E3 might offer news of a follow-up. No such luck, unfortunately, but there is more Witcher inbound - the 1.5 patch, which promises two rather exciting changes. Also, CD Projekt RED’s cavalier mention of a “Director’s Cut” will doubtless fuel a speculatory fire.

Witcher 1.5, to the great delight of techno-fearful men the world over, removes all DRM from the game - including even the disc check.
Obviously less exciting for owners of the Steam version, but disc-jockeys will be pleased.

As well as that, it includes five new adventures
- apparently made by the fans. Not sure as yet if those are already available from the internet wilderness, or if they’re brand new. Nice for a freebie either way, certainly.

Then there’s this whole Director’s Cut business. CD Projekt are being incredibly cheeky there, giving no details bar the name - which, specifically, will be the remarkably cumbersome “The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director’s Cut.” ‘North American gamers’ are mentioned specifically, which may mean half of gamingdom is set to explode in fury at some point, but we’ll see. So what does this mean? How does one enhance an Enhanced Edition? There’s still perhaps room for better English voicework, while an option to deactivate those infamous smutty cards would please those who found them tawdry and jarring. What else, fellows?

Anyway - that 1.5 patch is tagged ‘coming soon’, and apparently will be applied to all versions of the game. More details as and when.

dejan

Patch 1.5 is coming on July 8th.

Modifications:
  • copy securities (DRM) are removed
  • playing the game no longer requires the game disc in the drive
  • patch solves problems with EAX and blur

Additionally:
  • 5 additional adventures made by the Witcher community: ‘Deceits’, ‘Blight of the Bogs’, ‘Wraiths of Quiet Hamlet’, ‘Wedding’, ‘Merry Witchmas’.

http://www.thewitcher.com/community/en/news/915.html

I bought this game when I bought Ghostbusters for $8 from gamecrazy. I installed it, but didn't play it because you're required to have the DVD in the drive (my HTPC has no DVD drive, I installed it via my network drive), so I put it off for a while.

I was bored last night, and decided to give it a go. I downloaded a no-cd crack, mapped out the controls to a 360 pad with Pinnacle Profiler, and gave it a go.

13 hours later, I set my 360 pad down. This game is FANTASTIC. Shame they didn't include controller support, because it really works well with the controller. Fantastic game so far.

Okay, so I bought this game for my girlfriend in March. I finally got around to playing it last month, and I just finished it.

WOW :D What an amazing gem of a game. I had a blast playing it, and it was far beyond what I was expecting. I really hope they make a sequel to it.

Spoiler question about the ending cinematic, which I'm sure has been discussed...
who the hell is the assassin
???? Eh, I guess the thread isn't that long so I can go back and read, but looking around online, I don't buy the
it's Geralt!
explanation.

Anyhow, really fantastic, and everybody should play it.

epmode

timetokill said:
Spoiler question about the ending cinematic, which I'm sure has been discussed...
who the hell is the assassin
???? Eh, I guess the thread isn't that long so I can go back and read, but looking around online, I don't buy the
it's Geralt!
explanation.
I think it's left intentionally vague. Much more vague than the Alvin=Grandmaster thing (which is almost certainly the case).

Wait for the sequel, I guess.

DangerStepp

dejan said:
Patch 1.5 is coming on July 8th.

Modifications:
  • copy securities (DRM) are removed
  • playing the game no longer requires the game disc in the drive
  • patch solves problems with EAX and blur

Additionally:
  • 5 additional adventures made by the Witcher community: ‘Deceits’, ‘Blight of the Bogs’, ‘Wraiths of Quiet Hamlet’, ‘Wedding’, ‘Merry Witchmas’.

http://www.thewitcher.com/community/en/news/915.html

Awesome! Thanks!

Question:

I'm currently in chapter V and ended up having to look at a FAQ, but how else are you supposed to know
how to activate the Wayfarer's stone leading to St. Gregory's Litany? The FAQ correctly told me to use Aard (x2) then Igni to open the entrance.
. I kept seeing a couple of those in the Graveyard Swamp, but never knew how to use them. Is there a special character that tells you?

epmode

timetokill said:
Have they confirmed a sequel?
A sequel was announced a while ago along with a console remake of the first game. And maybe even another game besides those.

The console port was looking pretty neat but it was cancelled due to trouble with the outsourced developer. I'm pretty sure the sequel is still on for PC.

magus

I'm already on chapter 2 and I love it!

I have some questions.

What is the optimal way of building up your character?
Do I need to pick up the side weapons like axes, daggers, etc? I've only used my steel and silver swords.

Truant

magus said:
I'm already on chapter 2 and I love it!

I have some questions.

What is the optimal way of building up your character?
Do I need to pick up the side weapons like axes, daggers, etc? I've only used my steel and silver swords.

Just go with the stuff that suits your playstyle, in terms of leveling.

I also just used the steel and silver swords. You do get upgrades to both, but rarely. However, these upgrades are pretty big, so you'll feel amazingly powerful whenever you get a new main sword.

Only issue I have with the non-original version of the game is that they pulled the camera back too far on the OTS view, kills a bit of the atmosphere and immersion.

dejan

DangerStepp said:
Question:

I'm currently in chapter V and ended up having to look at a FAQ, but how else are you supposed to know
how to activate the Wayfarer's stone leading to St. Gregory's Litany? The FAQ correctly told me to use Aard (x2) then Igni to open the entrance.
. I kept seeing a couple of those in the Graveyard Swamp, but never knew how to use them. Is there a special character that tells you?
He he, I gave up on that one, too and looked up the solution in the game guide.

DangerStepp

Finished the game this past weekend. Loved it.

Note: I never used any weapon except my steel and silver swords. What's the point of the extraneous weapons such as axes and daggers? It's one of those game features that makes you feel guilty for not using it because it's there, but you can totally do without it and will more than likely be better off not using it.

I just found that a bit strange.

magus

DangerStepp said:
Finished the game this past weekend. Loved it.

Note: I never used any weapon except my steel and silver swords. What's the point of the extraneous weapons such as axes and daggers? It's one of those game features that makes you feel guilty for not using it because it's there, but you can totally do without it and will more than likely be better off not using it.

I just found that a bit strange.

I use extra weapons that dislodge shields. Thats all though =].

Top Bottom