• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

Tom Penny

I am so excited. I never finished this game and I had a corrupt hard drive. I just found the email address I used for direct2drive so I can download the game again :D

Nelo Ice

Banned
i should start playing this again since i picked up the uk edition for $20 a few months back and ive only played the tutorial chapter :lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Couple quick Q's:
Did they never fix the blocky faces issue? I have everything maxed out--I guess the solution is to turn off AF and run it manually through the control panel?
Did they never fix the problem where all light sources show throw walls and, well, everything?

DangerStepp

AstroLad said:
Couple quick Q's:
Did they never fix the blocky faces issue? I have everything maxed out--I guess the solution is to turn off AF and run it manually through the control panel?
Did they never fix the problem where all light sources show throw walls and, well, everything?

1) I didn't notice any blocky faces. If you're referring to the weird vertical lines on characters during cutscences, then no. That's still there and you're correct regarding the AF/AA.

2) I noticed nothing of the sort, so I'm assuming they fixed this.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
DangerStepp said:
1) I didn't notice any blocky faces. If you're referring to the weird vertical lines on characters during cutscences, then no. That's still there and you're correct regarding the AF/AA.

2) I noticed nothing of the sort, so I'm assuming they fixed this.
1) Ok will do.
2) Basically every torch shows through the buildings. It looks really weird. It was a problem with my 2x 9750gtx and now with my gtx 295. Weird.

DangerStepp

AstroLad said:
1) Ok will do.
2) Basically every torch shows through the buildings. It looks really weird. It was a problem with my 2x 9750gtx and now with my gtx 295. Weird.

That is pretty weird. I honestly don't recall seeing it, but I'm sure it's something I couldn't help but notice now that you've mentioned it.

A good thing that I finished the game a couple weeks ago. It's great, though the story is a little "meh" at points.

Minsc

Gold Member
AstroLad said:
Couple quick Q's:

Seems you can thank SLI for that feature. There's a workaround there, and a link to a FAQ for troubleshooting other problems.

DangerStepp

BattleMonkey said:
Loving the game but do you ever really need to use anything other than the sword? I've never found use for any of the other weapon types.
Nope. Silver and Steel swords are all you need; you needn't carry any other weapons. But Geralt wouldn't look as cool then, would he?

Vlodril

Finaly finished the game. Took a month off (i got burned out around chapter 5). Fantastic game. Came out of nowhere but thanks to gaf i decided to get that (this and demon souls validate the time i spend in here :lol ).

It has bugs here and there but the story is great and its very well done. Happy there is a sequel do we have any eta on it?

inner-G

Banned
Just getting towards the end of chapter 2.

wow.

This may be the best WRPG I ever played. I like how it still has custscenes and a very narrative-driven story, the world is awesome, music is awesome, graphics are pretty damn good as far as I can see.

The only drawbacks I've seen are that the combat (so far) is pretty simple, and there's a TON of crap to remember for all the alchemy stuff. I like the Journal constantly keeping me on track, and I feel like there's always a bunch of quests and stuff to do.

Anyway, very impressed with it.

Yasae

Banned
I've been teetering on whether to buy this.

On the one hand, I liked the setting and direction in the demo. The main character was nice (if a bit stiff) and the different combat styles were intriguing. Now my complaints:

-On my X1900XT, most resolutions have a blocky, prismatic look, like someone put a filter of tiny squares over my screen. This seems to only happen with certain cards and certain scalings, but there doesn't seem to be a fix from what I gathered on their forums. It's beyond annoying and would a be a deal-breaker were there no patch.

I tried a lower resolution (think it was 1280*960? My monitor is 1280*1024) and the problem went away like I thought.. But it's disappointing to play the game in windowed mode.

-Are all the cutscene characters so wooden? Geralt looks like he broke his jaw and almost had it wired shut.

-Good dialogue, shifty translation. Some of the responses seem way out of place and unnatural. Does this get better?

-Click-happy combat. I liked the different styles. The constant mouse repositioning made me feel like I was playing an FPS. Why the hell can't they have keyboard inputs?

What do you think? I'm not going out of my way to attack this game, I just felt it had some big downsides from the short part that I played through.

Flib

Yasae said:
I've been teetering on whether to buy this.

On the one hand, I liked the setting and direction in the demo. The main character was nice (if a bit stiff) and the different combat styles were intriguing. Now my complaints:

-On my X1900XT, most resolutions have a blocky, prismatic look, like someone put a filter of tiny squares over my screen. This seems to only happen with certain cards and certain scalings, but there doesn't seem to be a fix from what I gathered on their forums. It's beyond annoying and would a be a deal-breaker were there no patch.

I tried a lower resolution (think it was 1280*960? My monitor is 1280*1024) and the problem went away like I thought.. But it's disappointing to play the game in windowed mode.

-Are all the cutscene characters so wooden? Geralt looks like he broke his jaw and almost had it wired shut.

-Good dialogue, shifty translation. Some of the responses seem way out of place and unnatural. Does this get better?

-Click-happy combat. I liked the different styles. The constant mouse repositioning made me feel like I was playing an FPS. Why the hell can't they have keyboard inputs?

What do you think? I'm not going out of my way to attack this game, I just felt it had some big downsides from the short part that I played through.

It's easily the best rpg released in the last few years, and the demo is a terrible example of the full game, imo.

Regarding the translation, the demo is taken from the original release of the game, which had a shoddy translation and a huge amount of cut dialogue compared to the original Polish version. With the enhanced edition release, they retranslated the whole game and filled out the rest of the cut dialogue, and it's a huge improvement over what you've seen in the demo.

Tom Penny

This games a piece of crap now and the Enhanced edition patch doesn't even work. I was so looking forward to replaying the game but apparently they did not test the 1.4 patch which takes forever to install and all it does is crash at the star menu. I searched for my error message which tons of people had and there is no fix :/

Tom Penny said:
This games a piece of crap now and the Enhanced edition patch doesn't even work. I was so looking forward to replaying the game but apparently they did not test the 1.4 patch which takes forever to install and all it does is crash at the star menu. I searched for my error message which tons of people had and there is no fix :/
It's on 1.5 now, isn't it?

I bought the Extended Edition box copy last week, which out of the box was at V 1.4xxxx (don't remember the exact number now). I don't know what was wrong, but it wouldn't work until I patched it to 1.5.

Tom Penny

Steve Youngblood said:
It's on 1.5 now, isn't it?

I bought the Extended Edition box copy last week, which out of the box was at V 1.4xxxx (don't remember the exact number now). I don't know what was wrong, but it wouldn't work until I patched it to 1.5.

Did that too. I got it off direct2drive. I hadn't played it in a loooong time and figured I'd check my account. I was happy I could download it all again and it didn't work.

inner-G said:
Just getting towards the end of chapter 2.

wow.

This may be the best WRPG I ever played. I like how it still has custscenes and a very narrative-driven story, the world is awesome, music is awesome, graphics are pretty damn good as far as I can see.

The only drawbacks I've seen are that the combat (so far) is pretty simple, and there's a TON of crap to remember for all the alchemy stuff. I like the Journal constantly keeping me on track, and I feel like there's always a bunch of quests and stuff to do.

Anyway, very impressed with it.

The combat is what's holding me back from getting this game.

I may opt for Drakensang since it's more party based as well.

Jirotrom

CabbageRed said:
Has this been posted yet?:

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut Patch (NA)

This patch brings the North American edition of the game in line with its European counterpart, adding nudity, among other things. European players who have applied the recent version 1.5 patch are already experiencing the Director's Cut version.
I have the base version of witcher... my buddy got it for me. The thing is I can't patch 1.5 directly... what patches do I need to apply and it what order. Thanks!

EDIT: does this not work on windows 7? It says i need to be an admin to run some driver install.

krzy123

Tom Penny said:
Did that too. I got it off direct2drive. I hadn't played it in a loooong time and figured I'd check my account. I was happy I could download it all again and it didn't work.

This might be the EAX bug, which hit me as well, I believe go into DxDiag -> Sound and turn the HW accel slider down one, I think this was fixed though in 1.5 or they had a special patch on their forums.

Flib

bigmit3737 said:
The combat is what's holding me back from getting this game.

I may opt for Drakensang since it's more party based as well.

The Witcher is infinitely better than Drakensang

Jirotrom said:
I have the base version of witcher... my buddy got it for me. The thing is I can't patch 1.5 directly... what patches do I need to apply and it what order. Thanks!

EDIT: does this not work on windows 7? It says i need to be an admin to run some driver install.

Patch 1.4 - http://www.fileplanet.com/185053/180000/fileinfo/The-Witcher-Enhanced-Edition-Full-Patch

This is the full Witcher patch that will update your game to the same level as The Witcher Enhanced Edition. This file contains the patch file, the English language file, and 2 new quests. You'll want to You'll want to extract the files into the same directory and use the patcher to install all the files.

If you would like more out of your witcher experience you can also get the Ultimate patch (see other link). The Ultimate patch has everything included in the full patch as well as extra content, such as a soundtrack, making of movies, digital maps, and a digital manual and guide.

Or

http://www.fileplanet.com/191956/190000/fileinfo/The-Witcher-Enhanced-Edition-Ultimate-Patch

This is the Ultimate Witcher patch that will update your game to the same level as The Witcher Enhanced Edition. This file contains the patch file, the English language file, soundtrack, making of movies, digital maps, digital manual and guide, and 2 new quests. You'll want to extract the files into the same directory and use the patcher to install all the files.

Patch 1.5 - http://www.fileplanet.com/202241/200000/fileinfo/The-Witcher-Patch-v1.5

CD Projeckt latest patch for the Witcher removes the DRM for the game, doesn't require a game disc to play the game, fixes the EAX graphical blur issue, and adds 5 new adventures. This patch requires The Witcher to be upgrade to version 1.4 (Enhanced Edition patch) to correctly install.

Director's Cut Patch - http://www.fileplanet.com/203091/20...cher:-Enhanced-Edition---Director's-Cut-Patch

This patch updates the Enhanced Edition to Director's Cut.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I can't patch since Atari are total fucking morons

(You need to register to patch, you need a cd key to register, Canadian copies don't have CD keys, I've emailed Atari 3 times to get a key and no reply).

Is it possible to "pirate" a patch? Can I do that? Is it piracy to download a free update that you can't get legitimately because a company fucked up a retail release and are too stupid to respond to support emails?

Stumpokapow said:

(You need to register to patch, you need a cd key to register, Canadian copies don't have CD keys, I've emailed Atari 3 times to get a key and no reply).

Is it possible to "pirate" a patch? Can I do that? Is it piracy to download a free update that you can't get legitimately because a company fucked up a retail release and are too stupid to respond to support emails?
Really? I bought the Extended Edition, which had a key, and I don't remember needing to type it in. In fact, I thought that any and all DRM was removed with 1.5.

Jirotrom

Stumpokapow said:

i'm having the same problem... pretty lame

Pardon my ignorance, but did this pertain to pre-Extended Edition copies of the game? EE comes in at V 1.4xxxx, and I didn't need the key at install or when downloading the 1.5 patch.

I played through this in its entirety for the first time over the course of about ten days a week or so ago. Version 1.5 yadda yadda. I still experienced a few crashes, as well as generally quite poor performance until I turned FSAA off completely.

I can't imagine what it was like on release, because even now it's a ramshackle affair, with an unfriendly UI, "quirky" engine, inconsistent writing, and fairly simplistic (and too easy) combat mechanics.

All that said, this is easily the best RPG I have played, on any platform, in the last five years (i.e. since Bloodlines). I found it to be absolutely staggering in places. Chapters 2 and 3 in particular, with their numerous interwoven quests, floored me. It does so, so much right, and wipes the floor with other, much more celebrated, titles like Oblivion or Fallout 3. I was completely hooked, and played it for many, many hours a day until I finished it, and the spell was broken.

The only thing I can think of that unites all I love in this game is that it treats the player with respect. The themes and storytelling are for the most part successfully "adult" (and I'm not talking about the tits). Nothing is oversimplified. You are placed in a world and made to feel powerful, not just because you have big swords and cast spells, but because your actions irrevocably affect the world and the people in it, without ever giving you "karma", or "light side points", or patting you on the back just for opening the world map. There are numerous difficult decisions, and some of the hardest involve your relationships with other characters -- with Shani, with Triss, with Alvin. A videogame that both allows you to womanise and philander mercilessly, and then make you reconsider that philandering, is rare, and worthwhile.

The Witcher gave me hope for a genre I thought all but broken beyond repair ("Push A to complete quest, push B to level up! Well done, [player name here]! Now press X to fast-travel to the next quest!").

We need more games like this.

Tom Penny

Fuck this game. It's impossible to install enhanced version on my PC. I've tried multiple times. Piece of shit and the devs have no answer.

Fredescu

Shake Appeal said:
I can't imagine what it was like on release, because even now it's a ramshackle affair, with an unfriendly UI, "quirky" engine, inconsistent writing, and fairly simplistic (and too easy) combat mechanics.
What's wrong with the UI? I thought it was pretty good.

Fredescu

GameGamer said:
Ok, then maybe only Witcher Enhanced owners can remove the DRM.
I bought the original version and my DRM was removed by the EE patch itself. It was only people who bought the EE that still had DRM, which is what this latest patch removes.

Tom Penny

Jirotrom said:
Delete that quick ^^^

I take it you used it ?If you ever get the code from your friends manual PM me. Someday I will attempt to install it again..or tell me when you finished the enhanced version.

Fredescu said:
What's wrong with the UI? I thought it was pretty good.
Lots of little things: most icons are a little small and indecipherable, so you have to learn the keyboard shortcuts; the minimap isn't particularly well-designed; the "signs" are presented in the order you learn them, which is different to the order they are listed in your character sheet ('H' key), meaning you have to learn the symbols, and how they correspond to the 1-5 keys; similarly, the order of the quick-slots doesn't make intuitive sense; icons are too small for ingredients, so for the most part you have to run your mouse over them to find out what they are, especially to find out whether they are rubedo/albedo/nigredo; similarly, the colouring on the character sheet makes it difficult to work out whether you have some upgrades without running the mouse over them to see the green ring around the button; battle text is too small and pops out too quickly; buying and swapping weapons is handled strangely; generally the interface is a bit niggly and inapparent.

There's also a lot of inconsistency as to how conversations behave, and sometimes just unnecessary fuss. Paying the ferryman to the swamp, for instance, involves asking to pay, then selecting the button to pay left of the dialogue, then being taken out of the dialogue to another screen asking if you really want to pay all of 5 orens, then back into the conversation to confirm, again.

EvolveTom

Tom Penny said:
Fuck this game. It's impossible to install enhanced version on my PC. I've tried multiple times. Piece of shit and the devs have no answer.
:( shoot me an email - tom-at-thewitcher.com - with a description of the problem, and I'll see what I can do. Same for those who haven't received keys through Support.

Fixed1979

Steam has The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut for $27.99, I've been wanting to get this game for awhile and this seems like the most opportune time. Is the Steam version working alright, anything I should know before busting out my credit cards?

tagrat

Fixed1979 said:
Steam has The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut for $27.99, I've been wanting to get this game for awhile and this seems like the most opportune time. Is the Steam version working alright, anything I should know before busting out my credit cards?

I'm tempted by that as well. Finally got a new rig that will be able to handle this and so many other games I have been meaning to play.

WaltJay

What are the chances my laptop can run this game at a decent framerate? I really want to check it out, but I have a feeling the game will end up being a slideshow.

Specs
Intel Core 2 Duo processor T7200 (4MB Cache/2.00GHz/667MHz FSB)
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz (2 DIMMs)
256MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1400 HyperMemory

Top Bottom