• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

Zyzyxxz

I'm running the game on max and I keep dipping down to 26-28 FPS while I'm in the Trade Quarter.

my stats:

AMD P2 920 @ 3.3 GHZ
4 GB of DDR2 ram
ATI 4870, 512mb

running game at 1680 x 1050 resolution?

I'm running it without any patches though since the earlier parts of the game ran perfect.

Yasae

Banned
Varna said:
What the fuck...

After installing the Direct Cut patch I am not getting the pixelated dialogue scenes.
I assume you mean that in a good way? The whole pixelated look that happened with my card kept me from buying. Tell me they have it fixed!!!

Leonsito

If you have the infamous "pixelated" dialogue scenes, go to the advanced graphic options in the game, and put the lightning slider in the middle, I don't find any real difference in the lightning and it solves that problem.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Bought a boxed copy of the Enhanced Edition, though I don't know when I'll get around to it... looks pretty fun, and it'll be interesting to see what a Polish development team could do.

hulot

I've had the boxed enhanced edition for awhile now but it's not at my apartment and I just recently jumped onto Steam. Is there an activation in the box? Otherwise I might just double-dip for digital distro.

epmode

Yasae said:
I assume you mean that in a good way? The whole pixelated look that happened with my card kept me from buying. Tell me they have it fixed!!!
It hasn't been fixed. There are ways to minimize the effect, though.

The bug that blurred the gameplay window after a dialogue scene HAS been fixed.

DEO3

Chapter 2 was a buggy frustrating mess for me.

I guess I must've done things out of order or something because the main quest's progression became completely disjointed. Often the investigator would be a couple of steps behind me and I'd have to re-enter his house a number of times to catch him up, and then he'd come to completely opposite conclusions. Like there'd be people my journal would say I've proven innocent, but he'd still want me to investigate them, or he'd claim they were guilty and want me to go kill them, and in order to move the questline forward I'd have to obey, even though I knew it wasn't true.

The Gravedigger told me to talk to a Vincent or Thaler to get a pass to the graveyard, but neither had anything to talk to me about when I approached them, so I was never able to complete that quest.

Then the Alchemist kept telling me to fuck off, which made it impossible to complete a number of quests he himself had given me, and once I finally finished the mage tower quest line, he never showed up to meet me. Instead I had a number of elves and dwarfs spawn out of no where once I engaged the main bad guy, but about 10 seconds after the fight had started all of a sudden I'm forced into a cut scene about the Scoia'tael losing some battle to The Order of the Flaming Rose and how I can't remain neutral anymore and.. wait WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED. I never even got to fight the big finale.

Chapter 2 was just suddenly over.

I really like the mood and setting of the game, and I like some of the new things the game introduces, but often its storytelling feels completely broken. It seems like every time there's some big event, I'm left standing there asking myself 'Wait, what?' once its all over - the game seems to go out of it's way way to make what's happening impossible to follow.

falastini

Yeah, the quests did get jumbled a few times for me as well. I'd have to keep restarting the conversation because I happened to already do some of the quests they ask for. It kinda screws things a bit, but I liked having the freedom to do the quests in a different order the game intended.

One crazy part for me was the involvement of your buddy Dandelion. I'm guessing I missed the quest introducing him? At some point mid-game he acts as if we're best pals, and I have no idea how I was supposed to know him.

Effect

Costanza said:
I just bought this game from Steam. Hope it lives up to the praise in this thread!

also, holy shit 14GB. -_-

That actually stopped me from getting the game some time ago. I usually have no problem buying digital versions of games. I usually to lazy to go out of my way to find a store that has it and sometimes don't like waiting for the game to arrive from Amazon but that is a large download. Especially since sometimes you get a bad download.

Been thinking of picking up the boxed version if I come across it in Walmart as a quick buy. Are they still putting out patches for the game, any expansions or are they focusing on the next one?

epmode

Effect said:
Been thinking of picking up the boxed version if I come across it in Walmart as a quick buy. Are they still putting out patches for the game, any expansions or are they focusing on the next one?
Patches are probably done. But don't take that as a lack of support. This game received one of the all-time best free content patches for a single-player game. The post-release support has been excellent.

Binabik15

Hey Gaf, I just read the first Geralt book and now downloaded the demo of this game and, uhm, the combat flat out sucks so far. Geralt is standing in front of the enemy, staring, the enemy stares back and after what feels like forever Geralt finally hits the guy. Played until the "bandits stole secrets guarded for centuries blabla cutscene", then the game crashed.

Is the enhanced version better, gameplay wise? Because I can´t convince myself of buying it if it really controls like the demo. But Geralt is a pretty cool dude, so I want it :/

Darklord

Banned
Binabik15 said:
Hey Gaf, I just read the first Geralt book and now downloaded the demo of this game and, uhm, the combat flat out sucks so far. Geralt is standing in front of the enemy, staring, the enemy stares back and after what feels like forever Geralt finally hits the guy. Played until the "bandits stole secrets guarded for centuries blabla cutscene", then the game crashed.

Is the enhanced version better, gameplay wise? Because I can´t convince myself of buying it if it really controls like the demo. But Geralt is a pretty cool dude, so I want it :/

Err, are you sure you're doing the combat right? He seems pretty fast and wild in combat, especially with in the group stance.

I sunk about an hour more into the game during the weekend (making it about 4 hours total) and I need some tips in regards to the controls. I having a difficult time enjoying the game due to the interface. Any tips?

Drek

Gully State said:
Yeah I've been using the pulled back view. Also, is there a need to use dodge?
Not a ton, but if you can incorporate it, it helps. The real crux of the combat system is just rolling out your chains like a mofo. On normal thats good enough for nearly every fight. Mix in a little savvy alchemy use and the game isn't too challenging at all.

Sorry for bumping this thread, but can anyone recommend some good places to get mods for the Witcher? Also how are the texture mods for this game? Do they make a huge difference and how taxing is it on hardware?

I'm planning on replaying this soon and I have a quick question about the Enhanced Edition/directors cut/whatever. If I have the original boxed copy of the game, can I get all this stuff or is it an entirely new product? If it is free, where can you download it?

Volcynika

Linkzg said:
I'm planning on replaying this soon and I have a quick question about the Enhanced Edition/directors cut/whatever. If I have the original boxed copy of the game, can I get all this stuff or is it an entirely new product? If it is free, where can you download it?

Register your game at the official site. I don't have a direct link where to get the EE after registering, but it should be somewhere on there.

http://www.thewitcher.com/registration/en/www/support.html

Noogy

Yasae said:

I'm so happy with the Steam version. I had this when it came out (prior to the EE) and the pixelated cutscenes nearly killed it for me. The version I picked up on Steam is so stable and beautiful I can't believe I only paid $14 for it.

kamspy

Holy crap this game is cool.

Eastern European PC gaming FTW! I can't get enough of those crazy bastards and their technically ambitious games! Viva la Call of Pripyat!

Started playing EE Witcher again yesterday, running with everything maxed out and was getting some tearing, which was extremely annoying. Now I'm using D3D Overrider and the game is running perfect :)

Gotta love the soundtrack to this game, it's so much like Braveheart!

Fox318

Picked up the EE edition off of steam during the holiday sale. This is quite possible one of the best games I have ever played. Its awesome . I'm only 2-3 hours in and I can't get enough!

I'm not sure if I'd go so far as to say the game was under appreciated because iirc it sold well, but I really wish more people played this game. One of the best RPGs of the past 5 years, its an amazing amazing game. Love the way your decisions come back to impact you 10 hours later.

Fox318

Sir Garbageman said:
I'm not sure if I'd go so far as to say the game was under appreciated because iirc it sold well, but I really wish more people played this game. One of the best RPGs of the past 5 years, its an amazing amazing game. Love the way your decisions come back to impact you 10 hours later.
I'm now more excited to see what the rest of the game has to hold for me.

Its funny I'm usually not a huge RPG person but right now I'm playing. The Witcher, Torchlight, Mass Effect, and Tales of Vesperia. :lol

Cep

Banned
Sir Garbageman said:

Yeah, some of them come back to hit you with the subtlety of a freight train.

Awesome! One of the best games I have ever played.

Mr. Jonh

Banned
One of the best things of this game, and you're bound to find them soon enough if you're just beginning, is how long after you choose something, even chapters after, something happens which derived from your choices, and you have this small slide show of art, and Geralt explaining what he did, what happened, why he did what he did.

For example, how
giving the Scoia'tael the weapons in the first chapter will make sure they have enough ammo to kill your informant in the next chapter. That one was awesome. And Triss, how she disdains me every time i see her now, just because i though a doctor was better than a goddamn whore of a sorceress :( . But whatever, Shani's hotter, nicer, and more helpful to others than her. Bitch. Fuck you Triss, i hope you rot in hell. But first help me till i get the bad guys!

rjfs

Neo Member
I picked this up during the steam sale and started playing this game last night. Everything seemed great until I got to the second town. Now every time combat starts my character can move around but not attack. About 3 seconds after the weirdness starts the game just crashes to the desktop.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

I've searched for answers and even tried reinstalling the game, updating all drivers etc. I'm running Win 7 64, with an i7, 8 gigs of ram, and a geforce 260. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Posted yesterday on CD Projekt's website:

All those who cannot wait to learn more about the continued adventures of Geralt of Rivia will be happy to know that in March of this year we will hold a press conference during which we will officially present our newest production: The Witcher 2.

We will also divulge some details about the new technology created by CD Projekt RED for the specific purpose of producing The Witcher 2.

http://www.thewitcher.com/community/en/news/955.html

Can't wait! It was this thread that convinced me to buy The Witcher (which I loved), and one of the reasons I joined up here.

Ducarmel said:
I cant believe this game is still on my backlog, despite having plenty of time to play it over other games.

If you enjoy WRPGs fire it up when you have the chance. Solid gameplay systems, interesting characters, and a legitimately gray morality system. Starts off a little slow but when the game opens up it really gets its hooks into you. Can't endorse the game enough.

Anyone else found the Finale/Epilogue lacking ?
Felt like they had to rush it.

The ending was brilliant though.

Would be nice for the sequel if you could play as the other Witchers, or have them follow you like in DA/ME.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
theMrCravens said:
Anyone else found the Finale/Epilogue lacking ?
Felt like they had to rush it.

The ending was brilliant though.

Would be nice for the sequel if you could play as the other Witchers, or have them follow you like in DA/ME.

No I would dislike a party system in The Witcher. Would complicate things and Geralt is an excellent PC.

I just discovered this game after it being recommended to me by a friend.

It's fantastic.

One thing though that really stands out is how seamless the finishing moves are interwoven to the combat. After lulzing at DA:O's terrible incorporation of those, watching Geralt do it is like a breath of fresh air.

Ps: the sex cards are so nast they're hilarious.

Salaadin

March? Thats not far away at all. Its asking for too much but hopefully a release date of early next year is do-able. I want more.

My biggest complaint about the first game is how theres not a ton of variation in the areas you get to see. I wish it was more open..not to the extent of Oblivion or something but it did get kinda dull staring at a drab town, swamps, and sewers for a good chunk of the time.

Cep

Banned
HK-47 said:
No I would dislike a party system in The Witcher. Would complicate things and Geralt is an excellent PC.

Agreed.

Also, I never thanked you for suggesting the game to me. If it was not for that, I doubt I would have ever made it out of the first chapter.

How About No said:
Can anybody play this on Windows 7? Every time I go to install it or launch it is says the "TAGES" driver is out of date or something =/

Works fine for me.

My setup
E8400
4GB ddr2-800

Retail version..Did you install all the patches?

Gully State said:
Works fine for me.

My setup
E8400
4GB ddr2-800

Retail version..Did you install all the patches?
It won't even let me istall the game. On the CD screen, it only gives me an option to launch the game, not install it, even though it's not on this machine. And if I click launch, it gives me the TAGES error...

Wait, it said it was installed under the program manager. Where the fuck did that come from...

How About No said:
It won't even let me istall the game. On the CD screen, it only gives me an option to launch the game, not install it, even though it's not on this machine. And if I click launch, it gives me the TAGES error...

Wait, it said it was installed under the program manager. Where the fuck did that come from...

I don't understand how you can have a TAGES error as there isn't any DRM in the enhanced edition.

Gully State said:
I don't understand how you can have a TAGES error as there isn't any DRM in the enhanced edition.
It was actually the original edition CD if that makes a difference...

...and was previously installed on another machine...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
loter said:
I dislike the portrayal of women in this game. Quite misogynistic and objectifying, I do say.

Its part of the setting. The Witcher is really a series that was parodying aspects of fantasy. The sex card crap is all optional.

Top Bottom