• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

Ferrio said:
Just use them, no reason to save them.

Are there any other combinations of meteorites I should go for? If I find better ones what can I do than?

Also how long do whetstone effect lasts on weapons?

This game will consume me I tell you :)

Minsc

Gold Member
kittoo said:
I dont have GTX 295 or any SLI card for that matter. I have a GTX 470. Should I use some specific drivers too?

Hopefully your GTX 470 runs it well enough on the newest drivers! I'd guess you'd get slightly better than my 5870, how's the performance for you?

Melhisedek said:
Are there any other combinations of meteorites I should go for? If I find better ones what can I do than?

I recently went through the game again, and despite trying to save all those rocks, never got around to using any... even on the harder settings they're not too crucial.

The whetstones (and better versions you find later for 40% additional damage) I think last a long time, 8+ hours. It will tell you on your sword after you use it.

Another tip, a lot of potions have a decent length (5-10+ hours). If you use a couple and get too intoxicated, chances are you can rest for an hour and still have most of the potions active for a good 4+ more hours, clearing the toxic level and letting you use even more potions... not that it's often necessary, but if you want to get crazy about stacking them, just use really long duration potions first, rest an hour and repeat with the shorter ones, like swallow.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Seeing that pic of the Professor up there posted on the previous page, he reminds me so much of Lezard from Valkyrie Profile :p

Witcher 2 seriously has potential to be the best western-made RPG since the Infinity Engine days.

Varna

Melhisedek said:

Been a while, but three Red stones will give you some the most attack power of all the custom swords. I usually keep it as a side arm until later in the game when the swords you find pretty much eclipse everything else.

Melhisedek said:
I think in general I usually slap any 3 together because if you wait too long you'll end up finding a sword out in the world that'll have better stats anyways.

djtiesto

Wrapping things up with the game... approaching
the Old Manor to fight Javed
. Finished nearly all of the quests of the game, went through on the side of the Scoa'itiel (sp?). Also have to do those 2 bonus quests that came with the Enhanced Edition. Hopefully will have it done by the weekend.

I really liked chapter 4 of the game, the environments were pretty nice (love the color scheme of the Field) and it felt different from the rest of the game... you weren't in the city/swamps, and had much more of a lighthearted feel than the oppressiveness of the rest of the game, until the end. Was kinda hoping
to explore the underwater city of Ys...
Nice to see someone on the dev team must be a Falcom fan :D

Really excited for the sequel now, I'm hoping it's much more optimized (the game CHUGS at points, especially when there are a lot of enemies on screen) and that combat is more in depth.

Minsc

Gold Member
djtiesto said:
Wrapping things up with the game... approaching
the Old Manor to fight Javed
. Finished nearly all of the quests of the game, went through on the side of the Scoa'itiel (sp?). Also have to do those 2 bonus quests that came with the Enhanced Edition. Hopefully will have it done by the weekend.

I really liked chapter 4 of the game, the environments were pretty nice (love the color scheme of the Field) and it felt different from the rest of the game... you weren't in the city/swamps, and had much more of a lighthearted feel than the oppressiveness of the rest of the game, until the end. Was kinda hoping
to explore the underwater city of Ys...
Nice to see someone on the dev team must be a Falcom fan :D

Really excited for the sequel now, I'm hoping it's much more optimized (the game CHUGS at points, especially when there are a lot of enemies on screen) and that combat is more in depth.

You still have a few awesome hours of story to go, and a short but sweet video at the end!

djtiesto

Melhisedek said:
When does the story picks up a notch, am in Chapter two and visiting the marsh right now

End of chapter 2, I'd say.

unfortunately, you still have to deal with that swamp in chapter 3, but it's not nearly the trudge it is in the second chapter, and there's not very many missions to do there at least

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I got back into this game recently and started chapter 3. So I enter the Trade Quarter and the framerate is bad... like really bad. Probably because of all the npc's in this area. I turn down some graphical settings but it's still choppy as hell. I'll probably continue to fiddle with the settings, but it sucks that I have to start dialing stuff down. The game ran ok up until this point.

Wthermans

Banned
Creamium said:
I got back into this game recently and started chapter 3. So I enter the Trade Quarter and the framerate is bad... like really bad. Probably because of all the npc's in this area. I turn down some graphical settings but it's still choppy as hell. I'll probably continue to fiddle with the settings, but it sucks that I have to start dialing stuff down. The game ran ok up until this point.
Yeah I avoided the Trade Quarter as much as possible and tried to only visit it at night (since most NPCs are indoors) during Chapter 3. I finished Chapter 3 and just got to Chapter 4, but TF2 has been sucking up all my playtime. I really need to get around to finishing the game.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Creamium said:

there will be one very graphics heavy episode in the last chapter but this will be over in two minutes or so.

And this square is the only place in city where framerate suffers

RustyO

LTTP...

Brought it as a gift for a mate ages ago, grabbed myself a copy off Steam whilst I was at it.

Think it's about time I gave it a crack :lol

Edit: How you doing Trish? :lol

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
RustyO said:
LTTP...

Brought it as a gift for a mate ages ago, grabbed myself a copy off Steam whilst I was at it.

Think it's about time I gave it a crack :lol

Edit: How you doing Trish? :lol
i just got this game today and my first impression is also triss' boobs.

also, the voice acting is awesome and i like how seriously the story and setting are taking themselves.

oh, and im liking the mouse only gameplay.

Wthermans said:
Yeah I avoided the Trade Quarter as much as possible and tried to only visit it at night (since most NPCs are indoors) during Chapter 3. I finished Chapter 3 and just got to Chapter 4, but TF2 has been sucking up all my playtime. I really need to get around to finishing the game.

I had the same problem on XP but since I upgraded to windows 7, it's smoother (HD4890)

Whoompthereitis said:
Played for a bit, seems neat. Love the isometric view. A lot more linear than I expected...I assume it opens up later?
How much have you played? Still in the castle prologue or past that?

Whoompthereitis said:
Played for a bit, seems neat. Love the isometric view. A lot more linear than I expected...I assume it opens up later?

The Witcher is a little more linear than something like Fallout 3 or Dragon Age, so if you were expecting that much freedom, you may be disappointed. But it does allow freedom in a lot of choices, from important to minor. Still though, there are a bunch of sidequests packed into a relatively small area each chapter, so there still is a lot of non-linearity.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
LordPhoque said:
I had the same problem on XP but since I upgraded to windows 7, it's smoother (HD4890)

Same here. After I had that problem I formatted my pc and installed 7 on it and the difference is enormous. It's still the most taxing area of the game, but it's actually playable now with an almost smooth framerate.

I hit a bit of a bump in the game itself though. Once I found out I had to visit the swamp again in ch3, my interest dropped quite a bit tbh.

Minsc

Gold Member
Whoompthereitis said:

The game is so much nicer in OTS + wasd, you should try to give it a shot like that for a good few hours. I tried isometric at first and found OTS infinitely more enjoyable, there's so much more personality in the world seeing it in the OTS view.

The Witcher never really seemed particulary linear to me while playing it, but I see how it definitely is. You're free to make plenty of choices in dialog and free to choose the order you do all your missions in, and the world is a decent size. I could see how the lack of areas to explore is the main complaint, but just huge number of missions and the size of everything mixed with the occasional cavern or dungeon kept me from feeling stuck on a path.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Minsc said:
The game is so much nicer in OTS + wasd, you should try to give it a shot like that for a good few hours. I tried isometric at first and found OTS infinitely more enjoyable, there's so much more personality in the world seeing it in the OTS view.

The Witcher never really seemed particulary linear to me while playing it, but I see how it definitely is. You're free to make plenty of choices in dialog and free to choose the order you do all your missions in, and the world is a decent size. I could see how the lack of areas to explore is the main complaint, but just huge number of missions and the size of everything mixed with the occasional cavern or dungeon kept me from feeling stuck on a path.

It reminds me somewhat of Deus Ex - you have no control over where the story is heading but you have a great deal of influence of how you go about getting there.

Should I buy the armor from chapter III or will I find something better in chapter IV (I'm nearly done with chapter III, I just have to start the last quest)

Minsc

Gold Member
LordPhoque said:
Should I buy the armor from chapter III or will I find something better in chapter IV (I'm nearly done with chapter III, I just have to start the last quest)

You don't really get better armor (than what you can purchase) till Chapter 5 I believe, it becomes a main quest late in the game. Chapter 4 is really long, so it's probably worth getting still.

Minsc said:
You don't really get better armor (than what you can purchase) till Chapter 5 I believe, it becomes a main quest late in the game. Chapter 4 is really long, so it's probably worth getting still.

Thanks.

Inkwell

Banned
I finally started this game. I'm pretty excited to finally be playing it. I'm especially hyped with all the Witcher 2 talk and preorders going up. I've skimmed over some of this thread, but I figured I would ask you Witcher experts for any tips.

Lets take combat for example. I decided to use the OTS + WASD controls. I think I understand how combat works, but I'm still taking quite a bit of damage. Should I just be dodging like crazy? Whats the best way to heal during combat? Also, some enemies seem like they are taking a lot of damage before going down. Those ghouls in the crypt are a good example.

Next lets talk inventory. I have the feeling I'm holding onto a lot of extra items (like food) that I don't need. What's worth keeping and what's worth selling? While I'm on the topic of items, is there anything important I should be keeping an eye out for to purchase? One thing I'm a little unsure of at the moment are the books. I'm not quite sure how important they are, but the high prince seems to indicate they might indeed be important.

Finally, I'm just wondering if there's any general tips and suggestions you guys might have. Especially things you wish you had known your first time through the game.

Inkwell said:
Lets take combat for example. I decided to use the OTS + WASD controls. I think I understand how combat works, but I'm still taking quite a bit of damage. Should I just be dodging like crazy? Whats the best way to heal during combat? Also, some enemies seem like they are taking a lot of damage before going down. Those ghouls in the crypt are a good example.

Click, wait, click again, wait, click again. Pause game by hitting space bar, drink healing potion if you have any. Use a sign. Repeat from the beginning.

Inkwell said:
Next lets talk inventory. I have the feeling I'm holding onto a lot of extra items (like food) that I don't need. What's worth keeping and what's worth selling? While I'm on the topic of items, is there anything important I should be keeping an eye out for to purchase? One thing I'm a little unsure of at the moment are the books. I'm not quite sure how important they are, but the high prince seems to indicate they might indeed be important.

Sell food, books, and drop contacts once you read them. Books are the main way of getting the backstory of The Witcher's universe.

Inkwell said:
Finally, I'm just wondering if there's any general tips and suggestions you guys might have. Especially things you wish you had known your first time through the game.

Do the side quests. You don't want to miss any of the collectible cards do you? :D

Minsc

Gold Member
Inkwell said:

Best way to dodge is to interrupt your opponent's attacks by your own. After that, dodging works best by not letting your enemy be in range to attack ;)

Enemies taking a lot of damage to kill usually mean you're not in the right stance. The strong (i forget what it's called, I think of them as strong, fast, and crowd) stance does the most damage, so unless 3+ swings all miss in a row, use that on the tougher enemies. The other big thing is to use a Witcher sword on non-humans. Actually you'll find it's harder to remember to not use a Witcher sword, because the normal swords only do more damage on humans, so just always use the witcher sword unless you're fighting a particularly hard group of human opponents.

Only thing I think is worth purchasing really are the unread books (that unlock potions and monster descriptions, so you can loot the bodies), and the armor. I liked to read the journal entries from the books so I ended up buying any unread books that were sold. It's hard to get money for the armor if you keep buying the books though, but you should eventually get enough money in Chapter 3. Side quests and selling helps. Gambling does too.

The fight at the end of the first chapter (prologue?) can be a huge pain. I wish I knew I just had to run around in circles while my health regens, instead of loading 15 times through the cutscene to figure it out (and that you can save after that cutscene if you're quick enough, so you don't' have to keep running through it). Enchanting your blade helps too, but it's still a hard battle for so early on.

Inkwell

Banned
Thanks guys. It looks like I'm generally doing things right. Right now I have a sword, axe, and dagger for weapons, but I've only been using the sword. It's the same sword you get at the end of the prologue.

Inkwell said:
Thanks guys. It looks like I'm generally doing things right. Right now I have a sword, axe, and dagger for weapons, but I've only been using the sword. It's the same sword you get at the end of the prologue.
Yeah, you'll probably never use the other, non-sword weapons. You'll get a silver sword as a second option for dealing more damage to monsters. Those two swords, with a few modifications, will actually be good enough to last you much of the middle portion of the game. I just use the extra weapon slots to sell off weapon loot.

Alucrid

Banned
So. I've had this for like...two or three years just sitting on my Steam account and I figure that it's time to sit down and play it. Are there any mods/tweaks I should know about to make my experience more enjoyable?

Alucrid said:
So. I've had this for like...two or three years just sitting on my Steam account and I figure that it's time to sit down and play it. Are there any mods/tweaks I should know about to make my experience more enjoyable?

I was actually looking for this thread to ask the same question.

Minsc said:
The fight at the end of the first chapter (prologue?) can be a huge pain. I wish I knew I just had to run around in circles while my health regens, instead of loading 15 times through the cutscene to figure it out (and that you can save after that cutscene if you're quick enough, so you don't' have to keep running through it). Enchanting your blade helps too, but it's still a hard battle for so early on.
It really is. Eventually I settled on picking up the Buzzed talent and getting drunk before the fight. Don't remember how effective it was anymore, but it worked out I think.

-COOLIO- said:
i just got this game today and my first impression is also triss' boobs.

also, the voice acting is awesome and i like how seriously the story and setting are taking themselves.

oh, and im liking the mouse only gameplay.

Oh really?

Althoran

I stopped playing a while ago. I got stuck in chapter 3
at the end of the chapter when the big spider is chasing you. I am always too slow to escape it.
Anyone have suggestions on how to get past this point?

Althoran said:
at the end of the chapter when the big spider is chasing you. I am always too slow to escape it.
Use the Aard sign to knock down tunnel entrances/exits with the support beams on them. It slows it down somewhat. And don't stop running, ever, just run past any minor enemies you see.

Althoran said:

IIRC you have to use the "force push" sign (sorry I forgot the name) to knock down the beams in each room, causing the roof to collapse to slow the spider down. After advancing a little bit a cut scene will occur.

Amneisac

So, this is available for $6 from Amazon. Taken from CAG:

witcher

It gave me a weird error when I checked out, but my account says the order went through.

It says I have to download the game to get the key, but I guess this probably isn't Steamworks, so I can't just put the key and register it to my Steam account. Still, for $6.

Amneisac said:
So, this is available for $6 from Amazon. Taken from CAG:

witcher

It gave me a weird error when I checked out, but my account says the order went through.

It says I have to download the game to get the key, but I guess this probably isn't Steamworks, so I can't just put the key and register it to my Steam account. Still, for $6.

Why would you want to get locked down? Original Witcher has no DRM. The retail copy has been patched such that there isn't even a disc check..

Amneisac

You mean 'locked down' to Steam? I guess I just like not having to keep up with discs, so even if I don't to put them in when I play, I'll have to keep them to reinstall in the future, etc.

vocab

So is there any way to make this game run better? The opening part has frame rate issues that is all over the place. High 90's to 40's. I was playing Enhanced 1.4, and the performance was really distracting. I'm gonna wait for a steam sale to get back into it, but is there any tweaks or certain configs I am missing? Also I'm hearing this game uses only a single core and 2 gigs of ram? Is that true?

How do I fix the stupid lights and sun coming through the walls and ground, it's so annoying..

Google says set AFR2 for SLI or disable SLI all together .. Tried both, can't get it fixed..

Any help?

Top Bottom