• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

Mr. Jonh

Banned
HK-47 said:
Its part of the setting. The Witcher is really a series that was parodying aspects of fantasy. The sex card crap is all optional.

Not all of them. And some appear from nowhere like
the witch in the cave. There were even children right by your side.

But yes, the game's representation of sex wasn't exactly the better. Of woman? It was excellent. The strongest and best characters of the game were mostly female. Even if not entirely likable. Like Triss.

God this game is just so fucking annoyingly random. So the giant plants sprouting from the ground killed me a few times in the swamp. I go ahead and look them up, weak to silver, fire, find out what style i need to use, that they attack with poison, etc. Next time i show up prepared, and i do every possible thing right. I cleared the mob of drowners first, then immolate, drink poison resistance potion, attack with silver sword, strong style. And they fuckin mop the floor with me. None of what i did helped. At all.

Same deal sort of, chapter 1, the beast. Fought the bitch about 20 times, no way in hell i was gonna be able to pull it out. I looked it up online. Apparently, i had been using the right strategy. So i try again, no fucking luck. On the 30th fucking try, things happen no differently, i'm about to die, and the hound's got 2/3 of her health left, and then... i one-shot her out of nowhere. Stupid fucking random.

And the whole sex card collecting thing, women throwing themselves at you and so on... what fucking puerile bullshit... Also, i don't know why they confused swordmanship with goddamned baton twirling, majorette style, what the shit.

Salaadin

Using Swallow at that first boss made it a cinch.

Use Igni against the plants. Try to upgrade it so it has Incinerate. Blast them and run out of range and theyll burn to death.

Truant

This game should NEVER be played with the isometric camera.

I love isometric mode, but the game became so much more enjoyable to me when I went for the over-the-shoulder cam.

epmode

Fistwell said:
God this game is just so fucking annoyingly random. So the giant plants sprouting from the ground killed me a few times in the swamp. I go ahead and look them up, weak to silver, fire, find out what style i need to use, that they attack with poison, etc. Next time i show up prepared, and i do every possible thing right. I cleared the mob of drowners first, then immolate, drink poison resistance potion, attack with silver sword, strong style. And they fuckin mop the floor with me. None of what i did helped. At all.

Same deal sort of, chapter 1, the beast. Fought the bitch about 20 times, no way in hell i was gonna be able to pull it out. I looked it up online. Apparently, i had been using the right strategy. So i try again, no fucking luck. On the 30th fucking try, things happen no differently, i'm about to die, and the hound's got 2/3 of her health left, and then... i one-shot her out of nowhere. Stupid fucking random.
Can't say I ever ran into any real trouble with the combat. Are you playing on a high difficulty or something?
And the whole sex card collecting thing, women throwing themselves at you and so on... what fucking puerile bullshit...
I like it too!

Salaadin said:
Using Swallow at that first boss made it a cinch.

Use Igni against the plants. Try to upgrade it so it has Incinerate. Blast them and run out of range and theyll burn to death.
Thanks for the tip. I was using igni, but i'm guessing i havent upgraded it enough, it only deals dammage once. I'll look up incinerate.
And FWIW, using swallow didnt make the first boss a cinch in my case.

WrikaWrek

Banned
I just got the Enchanced edtion, and is it me or the graphics aren't as impressive?

I remember when i played the original, at the beginning when the camera pans to the castle, it's all lit, and it's bright, and it looks so good.

Now it's darker, and the lightning isn't as impressive. Do i have to activate some rendering mode? I have everything maxed out.

Vlodril

The beast was definitely random. I almost quit the game at that part.. After 7-8 tries (and cutscenes and dialog..) i also won randomly.. As far the plants go igni is the way to go indeed.

Macmanus

Although I've been cognitive of this game since it's inception, I just got around to diving in this weekend.

Wow. It is everything I hoped for and a bit more. I really love pretty much all of it. The optimization and voice acting is lack luster at times, but I find that easy to get over in the grand scheme of things.

bathala said:
U want Witcher 2. here new trailer.
enjoy

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-official-the-witcher/63501

PS: graphics look fucking awesome

Yes! Thanks for the heads up. Looking forward to an excellent follow up to one of the better PC RPG's in recent years. Can't say I'm a fan of the more youthful looking Geralt but it looks great nonetheless.

Certainly seems like I'll have to upgrade to get it to run, but that's been the case for quite some time now.

Macmanus

How much emphasis do I need to put into magic? (signs)

I want to be a swordsman first with a few back up spells. Which ones are the best for leveling up? Is this even a viable strategy?

Also: I will be utilizing alchemy a lot. I had no issue destroying the beast the first time I fought him because I stacked literally every potion available to me at that point in the game.

Salaadin

Macmanus said:
How much emphasis do I need to put into magic? (signs)

I want to be a swordsman first with a few back up spells. Which ones are the best for leveling up? Is this even a viable strategy?

Also: I will be utilizing alchemy a lot. I had no issue destroying the beast the first time I fought him because I stacked literally every potion available to me at that point in the game.

Youre going to want to keep some magic levelled. I didnt use anything but Igni and Aard. The trap and defense spells were worthless to me.

The stun effect of Aard is nice when youre surrounded and want to the get rid of some enemies quickly (you can one shot thing when theyre stunned).
Igni is useful against plants once you get the incinerate effect. In fact, its all I used when fighting plants. Theyre a bitch without it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Ignii is the win button if you really level it up, completely ridiculous spell.

Well after 3 years I finally beat this bastard. I had constant crash issues across 2 computers, 2 OS's, and 3 graphics cards that kept pissing me off enough to drive me away but I've finally soldiered through it. Despite my technical issues this was one hell of a game, holy shit.

Spoiler question:
So are we supposed to believe that the Grandmaster of the Order (the big bad) is actually Alvin? When he teleported away Triss specifically mentioned that he could have gone not just anyplace but any time. So did he go back in time, grow up and become this Grandmaster? Is that why he tried so hard to convince you to join him? An interesting thought whether I'm right or completely off my rocker.

Cep

Banned
Sinatar said:
Ignii is the win button if you really level it up, completely ridiculous spell.

Well after 3 years I finally beat this bastard. I had constant crash issues across 2 computers, 2 OS's, and 3 graphics cards that kept pissing me off enough to drive me away but I've finally soldiered through it. Despite my technical issues this was one hell of a game, holy shit.

Spoiler question:
So are we supposed to believe that the Grandmaster of the Order (the big bad) is actually Alvin? When he teleported away Triss specifically mentioned that he could have gone not just anyplace but any time. So did he go back in time, grow up and become this Grandmaster? Is that why he tried so hard to convince you to join him? Interesting whether I'm right or completely off my rocker.

It is purposefully left ambiguous, but evidence points to this.

Pretty decently executed on the part of the writers/designers.

Sanjay

Would also like to mention at one point in the game
Alvin mentions to Geralt that he wants to be a witcher, you can answer "Don't become a witcher, become a knight" to which Alvin replies "I will be a Witcher-Knight!" suggesting a knight who hunts monsters, as the Order of the Flaming Rose does, which I found amazing because you your self bought this kid up to what he became in the end. You can find more stuff on it here, http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Alvin

Regarding the identity of The Grand Master.
While it isn't explicitly stated it seemed pretty clear that it was Alvin. Another sign amongst the others already pointed out was when Geralt describes the traits of the Witchers to Alvin. I seem to recall the Grand Master echoes whatever you said earlier on to Alvin towards the end. Personally I thought it was a great little twist.

Verapamil

Banned
Since my in-laws are in town and I am confined to the PC at night, I've restarted and will beat the damn boss at the end of Chapter 1 this week! I SWEAR IT!!!!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So i'm somewhere in chapter 5 and i've had enough, Fuck this game i'm done. The stupid boss fights, lack of vitality regeneration (you can blame it on me for not making enough potions but let's not get into how poorly done potion making is) and just pure frustrating has annoyed me enough.

I'm currently trying to kill
Javed?
and of course you have to fight two bastards before it, who end up taking your health down to around 50%. Yes i even tried to kite them WoW style with igni and it somewhat worked, only to end up getting raped by the spoiler.

It feels like i'm beyond gimped at this stage.

Ferrio

Banned
So steam sale got me hooked on this game. So far my only really big complaint is the poker AI, it's so blatantly cheating.

Otherwise, like it quite a bit... Just got to
part in Chapter 3 where I pick between tris or shani

I picked this up for $6.50 in the Steam sale beacuse of the EE, actually I bought it when it came out but I couldn't get into it. But goddamn what a great game. Easily the best RPG of the past decade. I enjoyed every single second of it, and at 60 hours that's a long time with no real let downs. I really like Geralt of Rivia. I feel like Dragon Age is kind of a rip off now. The Witcher's universe is so much more interesting and having a defined main character means no more being called "warden" throughout the whole game. 11/10

SenorDingDong said:
Regarding the identity of The Grand Master.
While it isn't explicitly stated it seemed pretty clear that it was Alvin. Another sign amongst the others already pointed out was when Geralt describes the traits of the Witchers to Alvin. I seem to recall the Grand Master echoes whatever you said earlier on to Alvin towards the end. Personally I thought it was a great little twist.

holy fuck. I never even thought of that :lol what a mind fuck. Also another hint is when
Triss tells you Alvin might be able to transcend time
. Holy shit goddamn wtf

looking at the guide included with the game pretty much confirms it...

Frozen Reflections
1. Conversation about destiny – its course depends on what you have
said to Alvin:
• The Great Master wanted to save the world to efface his fault of
being “different”.
• The Great Master wanted to save the world to appropriately use his
gift of foretelling the future.
• Everyone is the architect of his own fortunes, and Jacques’ ambitions
reached so high that he wanted to become the charismatic
master of the world, the savior of humanity.
2. Conversation about the other races – the Great Master wants to lead
the people south to prevent extinction or change into skullheads. The
course of the conversation depends on what you have said to Alvin:
• Other races want to prevent the Great Master from attaining his
goal.
• Other races are history, creatures destined for annihilation who
were given a chance to die honorably on the field of battle.
• Other races were not enemies of the Great Master; they were the
first to shed blood.
3. Conversation about Witchers – the course of the conversation
depends on what you have said to Alvin:
• The Witchers held important secrets and subconsciously wanted to
use them to create perfect men, but they lacked a coherent vision.
• Witchers are history; that is why the Great Master wanted to create
their new and improved version.
• Witchers, as warriors, have too many doubts and human impulses.
They are too weak to survive.

Ferrio

Banned
Wow, I beat it.... haven't successfully made it through a rpg in awhile. Very good game, quite a few things though that really make it from becoming great.

Stuff that irked me
1. Gold - The stuff was so hard to come by in the beggining of the game, even doing all the optional quests I was scraping for it. Once I hit chapter 4 i had tons of gold, but at that point there was nothing worth buying anymore. No point in getting swords/armor since better stuff was given/quested for.

2. Difficulty Ramp - I played on normal, and the beggining it was fairly challenging... by the end it was a complete masacre. Aard is completely broken as a spell because of the one hit kills, and even if I didn't use that my group attack would kill anything near me easily. Only time I ever ran into trouble was from enemies that used cheap tricks such as perma stuned from wraiths.

3. Wish decisions had a tiny bit more weight. AT the end i was expecting some ending based on my decisions in the game... but no you just get the one assassin ending. They do do the lead up to the ice base... but that wasn't much (yay I get adda for one group of enemies I easily killed myself)

4. Inventory.... FUCK annoying.

Things I liked

-Dialogue was awesome, voice actors weren't great but the lines were.
-Story, except for chapter 4... it was just kinda filler and served no purpose except for berengar to conveniently show up.
-Combat, a little button mashy but I liked it. Lots of the spells did seem useless though, maybe that was me.

WTFs:

-What was the point of the side weapons you carried? Was it just bling bling?

Vlodril

WTFs:
-What was the point of the side weapons you carried? Was it just bling bling?

No idea. You could get various weapons too (axes, swords,daggers) which i personally never used since you had the witcher ones.

Ferrio said:
3. Wish decisions had a tiny bit more weight. AT the end i was expecting some ending based on my decisions in the game... but no you just get the one assassin ending. They do do the lead up to the ice base... but that wasn't much (yay I get adda for one group of enemies I easily killed myself)
There are some decisions you make that effect how quests later on play out. One of them seemed so insignificant that I didn't even realize it changed things until this current play through. So they might have a bit more weight than you realize, but yeah they don't effect the overall ending that much.

Okay, so I started the Game, currently chapter one. I have much fun with it, and Gerald sure has a hand with women:

Ohh, thanks for bringing me home, but my grandma..., so lets meet at the Mill and fuck the shit out of me please
:lol
And the cards, I hope my girlfriend never watches at these scenes :D

Zozobra

I picked this up during the Steam sale as well and ehh, I dunno about this game. I'm only about an hour in and the gameplay seems interesting enough, but man does this voice acting ever put a damper on my immersion. I think I'm just spoiled by Bioware games.

For those who got the Enhanced Edition on Steam, I noticed that it said there was a game guide included. How do I access that?

Shinjitsu

Banned
Tryckser said:
Okay, so I started the Game, currently chapter one. I have much fun with it, and Gerald sure has a hand with women:

Ohh, thanks for bringing me home, but my grandma..., so lets meet at the Mill and fuck the shit out of me please
:lol
And the cards, I hope my girlfriend never watches at these scenes :D

If your girlfriend is bothered by nude drawings in a video game, you've got some issues you might want to work out.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Zozobra said:
I picked this up during the Steam sale as well and ehh, I dunno about this game. I'm only about an hour in and the gameplay seems interesting enough, but man does this voice acting ever put a damper on my immersion. I think I'm just spoiled by Bioware games.

For those who got the Enhanced Edition on Steam, I noticed that it said there was a game guide included. How do I access that?

Wow seriously? The voice acting is actually quite decent for a localized European RPG. I can only really think of Risen as an example that does it better.

I think you can access the guide by right-clicking on The Witcher in your Games list on the Steam interface. I may be mistaken, though. It's definitely somewhere in your Witcher folder in the steamapps directory.

1stStrike

Banned
I just started up this game again and holy shit I forgot how terrible the game engine is. It still runs like shit even after all of these years.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Full combat rebalance mod came out today.

The combat system basis has been rebuilt and it has been done single-handly by Andrzej "Flash" Kwiatkowski. The aim he was motivated by was maximizing the realism of the gameplay, this way making it more similar to the world created by Andrzej Sapkowski and maintaining the gameplay to the highest possible standard at the same time. The fights have became more brutal, they need more tactics and strategy, but on the other hand the combat system rules have become more logical. We warmly encourage you to test the modification on your own – and experience a completely new game!

I started this and got about 8 hours in then lost my save. I guess now is good a time as any to finally pick it back up.

Just started playing this. Installed some adventure mods from developers site also was about to install texture pack but it was in German so I was afraid I would mess something up.
Anyway what camera option did you folks prefer? OTS seems nice but what if I get surrounded? Is it me or combat seems to be a bit simplistic.... Just timing presses?

I kinda hoped it would run better on my rig.

And lastly, any tips for the newb?

Ferrio

Banned
Melhisedek said:
Just started playing this. Installed some adventure mods from developers site also was about to install texture pack but it was in German so I was afraid I would mess something up.
Anyway what camera option did you folks prefer? OTS seems nice but what if I get surrounded? Is it me or combat seems to be a bit simplistic.... Just timing presses?

I kinda hoped it would run better on my rig.

And lastly, any tips for the newb?

Getting surrounded is no problem, group attack and you're all good.

Ya the combat is pretty simple, long as you employ the correct stance to the right enemy and time your swings you're golden.

Tailzo

A good friend of mine, who has excellent taste in rpg games, just lent me this game. While I think it seems interesting, I don't like the mouse clicking combat. I am aware that there is another configuration, with mouse and keyboard. But I am more at ease with a controller in my hand. Is there any way to play this with a 360 pad?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Perfect time for this thread to be bumped... I'm in the midst of playing the game, just made it to the start of Ch 3 last night. Ch 2 was pretty freaking long, lots of stuff to do.

Anyways, I had to pick the game up because it was the first (to my knowledge) Polish-developed game, and me being 1/2 Polish and all... so I am much more of an oldskool Japanese RPG type guy, but this game is a pretty good effort all things considered.

There's some janky elements here and there, the combat seems pretty shallow (though the timing aspect of your sword strikes and the multiple combat styles you can cycle through give it a bit more depth than your average american RPG). The alchemy system seems clunky, and the VA/dialogue isn't the greatest. Plus the whole sex card thing is pretty juvenile. And the whole setting of the game is just so generic. Medieval town with elves and dwarves and a big swamp? I hope the settings get more interesting as you go through the game.

But I love Geralt as a character, when
at the end of chapter 1, I totally told the Reverend and his supporters off, Geralt acted like such a badass
. The environments are at least very detailed and full of life. The game looks pretty good on my machine (Asus RoG laptop), and I am very appreciative of all the quests you can do. Sure, the lot of them are pretty generic fetch-quests or "collect 3 wolf pelt" type quests but how is this different from most non-Bethesda WRPGs? While the choices aren't necessarily as plentiful as something in a Bioware game, at least they seem to have meaning and there's no way to know the 'right' solution. I hear as you progress through the game your actions in the previous chapters have MUCH more effect on the way the storyline turns out. Though the whole "choose your own adventure" element that is core to WRPGs isn't a big deal to me. I could really give or take.

The whole detective mystery of chapter 2 was pretty creative, unfortunately I think I was too quick to accuse people and got locked out of a couple of quests, and locked out of discovering the "right" solution to it.
Was tricked into murdering the pimp, who I later found out wasn't all that bad a guy
. Probably my favorite part of the game so far, even though you are literally SWAMPED (no pun intended) with quests both main and sub in this one. Was kinda hard to follow everything that I was supposed to be doing, thankfully the journal has a fantastic interface.

Anyways, kudos to CD-Projekt, it's still an enjoyable game though not without its issues. I'm definitely eagerly anticipating Witcher 2 now, and am expecting it to have some more polish (no pun intended).

epmode

Tailzo said:
A good friend of mine, who has excellent taste in rpg games, just lent me this game. While I think it seems interesting, I don't like the mouse clicking combat. I am aware that there is another configuration, with mouse and keyboard. But I am more at ease with a controller in my hand. Is there any way to play this with a 360 pad?
There's no official support for pads. You might be able to rig up some Xpadder config? I doubt it'll work well with the menu system though.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Well I started out again, ran through the first chapter pretty quick since I had finished already once before. After that, I spent 10+ hours in the 2nd chapter :lol. Finally got through it last night and the game is really starting to pick up after a slow start. Here's hoping that I get an inventory upgrade soon >.>

_tetsuo_ said:
After the first 2 chapters ran fine I'm getting 30fps and below in the third :(
Common problem. The daytime lighting in the Trade Quarter is brutal on systems. I had to bump down some of my settings once.

Top Bottom