• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

Minamu

Miri said:
It is. The cards are history though.
Really? :( Source please.

RustyNails said:
I was afraid of this answer. Bah. Time to reload I guess.
The creature remains should remain on the ground until you go back and pick it up though. Unless you've played for like hours since the kill, then I don't know :S

jett

D-Member
Finally done with Chapter 3, I hope I never return to that place and its horrible framerate and nightmarish loading times.

Moobabe

jett said:
Finally done with Chapter 3, I hope I never return to that place and its horrible framerate and nightmarish loading times.

I'm on the verge of finishing chapter 3 before I got an "invalid IFO" file so I'm validating on steam. Only 5 files needed validating but that's 5 gig....

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Has Yaren Bolt (the lumberjack dwarf boss) gone missing from the swamps for anyone else? I need to speak with him one last time to finish the quest, but he's not at his waypoint or anywhere near by at any time of the time. It's not a major quest but it drives my OCD side crazy to see it unfinished like that.

iavi

Snuggler said:
Has Yaren Bolt (the lumberjack dwarf boss) gone missing from the swamps for anyone else? I need to speak with him one last time to finish the quest, but he's not at his waypoint or anywhere near by at any time of the time. It's not a major quest but it drives my OCD side crazy to see it unfinished like that.

I just ran into this. Got that notice from Triss at the end of chap 3 saying that I should finish all those quests up, went around to do them, and couldn't complete that one because he was nowhere to be found. PISSED. ME. OFF. It was the last one too! after running around the swamp like an idiot, I just said fuck it and finished the chapter.

On that note, the beginning of chapter 4 is such a beautiful change of scenery.

iavi

Tacitus_ said:
Supposedly.

The game is a direct sequel, right? God, man, I hope they do. There's nothing that makes me feel more invested in a series than allowing me to actually 'build' the universe as I progress. ME2 was the first game to hit me like that, and honestly because of it, it's one of my favorite games of all time. Actually...on that note, does anybody happen to know of any other PC series with a well-written narrative that use a similar system?

iavi

EviLore said:
Your decisions and some of your equipment will carry over if you import your save.

Equipment too? Nice. Funny thing is though, none of my current equipment is anything special. In fact, I've almost written it out of the game. I'm getting on through capter 4 now and I've only changed my combat equipment once, and that was to reforge my steel sword with some meteorites.

While I'm hoping that there is more of an incentive to upgrade in 2, I'm kind of digging this simplicity. Allows me to focus on other things such as the alchemy.

Tacitus_

Miri said:
Equipment too? Nice. Funny thing is though, none of my current equipment is anything special. In fact, I've almost written it out of the game. I'm getting on through capter 4 now and I've only changed my combat equipment once, and that was to reforge my steel sword with some meteorites.

While I'm hoping that there is more of an incentive to upgrade in 2, I'm kind of digging this simplicity. Allows me to focus on other things such as the alchemy.

Well there's basically one weapon upgrade before chapter 4 outside of reforging so you're not missing much. Act 4 and 5 grant you some nice upgrades though if you do the sidequests.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Miri said:

witcher2slide.jpg

iavi

EviLore said:

No mention of combat pieces, I'm cool with that. More armor equips will do just fine. Here's to hoping that Geralt's appearance changes depending on the armor equip.

On a side note, I fear for the writers over at CDPROJECKTred. Is it even possible to do that many endings justice? Seriously...

Miri said:
No mention of combat pieces, I'm cool with that. More armor equips will do just fine. Here's to hoping that Geralt's appearance changes depending on the armor equip.

On a side note, I fear for the writers over at CDPROJECKTred. Is it even possible to do that many endings justice? Seriously...

It does, there's even hoods in the game.

Binabik15

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
It does, there's even hoods in the game.

Now we need a glowing sword and Geralt is a Jedi, force pushing fools and slicin and dicin with his stylish hood up!

PS: I had the same glitch, but it ALSO had one of the swords pointing upwards through Geralt´s body, wipping back and forth.

poisonelf

Miri said:

Yes, I only changed weapons once, exactly as you up to that point. I don't want to spoil anything, but there is something you can easily miss:
Search the Fields map, there is a place with wyvenrs and royal wyverns. Kill them and you'll find a steel sword lying around. For some reason it's more powerful than the best meteorite sword I've managed. You'll also get a super silver sword but you can't miss that one I think.

I think the substitute for a large array of equipment choices were meant to be the potions. I'm really regretting playing through the game (I'm almost at the end now) in normal mode. I only had 3 tough fights in the game, everything else was easy clicking.

Having to pay attention to the recipes, collecting the appropriate ingredients and questing for powerful formulas would have been great and fitting, but when the game asks you at the start it sounds a bit daunting since you haven't seen what it's all about.

EviLore said:
How many endings now? That's insane. And I was having trouble with the choices in the Witcher so far... I already love this game, I can't think of a way that it won't be incredible.

jett

D-Member
For fuck's sake, I hope CDProjekt got their shit in order when it comes to QA for W2. So many crashes. Game has crashed while it was saving too. :|

Well into Act III and the combat is finally jiving with me. Once you level up the combos, his flurries look a lot more visceral. My biggest moral dilemma right now is who I should give the child too (I suppose it's not really a moral dilemma) as I've already
bed Triss (multiple times) but Shani seems a bit on the possessive side
. It's strange but this is the first game where I just want to be as neutral as possible instead of skewing good or evil. That in and of itself speaks volumes of how good the choice/consequence system is.

Miri said:
They're not 16 completely unique endings. Some of them are just minor changes, like who is present in the ending. Some of them are determined early in the game too, so you may do something in act 1 and now you're down to 8 possible endings.

Red

jett said:
For fuck's sake, I hope CDProjekt got their shit in order when it comes to QA for W2. So many crashes. Game has crashed while it was saving too. :|
Hasn't happened to me! Though I did need to delete + validate a few files from Steam to get the Reverend to show up.

Kenka

Gully State said:
Well into Act III and the combat is finally jiving with me. Once you level up the combos, his flurries look a lot more visceral. My biggest moral dilemma right now is who I should give the child too (I suppose it's not really a moral dilemma) as I've already
. It's strange but this is the first game where I just want to be as neutral as possible instead of skewing good or evil. That in and of itself speaks volumes of how good the choice/consequence system is.

Exactly how I felt. It felt so instinctive for me in that game to stay away of all this racistic shit. Brilliant narration and choice system. You can feel that the guys have put their heart into the storyline.

Salaadin

Gully State said:

Let us know who you end up going with.
Triss/Shani spoilers:
I didnt entirely trust Triss especially after the person in the mirror conversation that she tried to brush off. Id rather leave the young boy with the sweet nurse and not the shady witch. You are right about Shani though.

Ill be doing a second play through soon and mixing up my chocies. Im curious to see how things will change.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I made it to chapter 4 in my last session (35 hrs in). Best environment, yet, wow. I love the view at Lakeside, what a gorgeous place. I was exploring and I came across the most disgusting and terrifying enemy I've seen in any RPG, though, goddamn. You probably know what I'm talking about, yuck.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Snuggler said:
I made it to chapter 4 in my last session (35 hrs in). Best environment, yet, wow. I love the view at Lakeside, what a gorgeous place. I was exploring and I came across the most disgusting and terrifying enemy I've seen in any RPG, though, goddamn. You probably know what I'm talking about, yuck.
products_raisins_box_l.gif

So, I'm nearing the end of Ch. 5 and I realized that I must have missed a book/conversation that will give me journal/bestiary entry needed to complete a signboard quest for the giant leech acid exploding monsters in the swamp cemetary area. Is there any way to get that entry this late in the game?

poisonelf

jett said:
It's been a crash fest for me too. I've read tons of suggestions from the steam forums so far nothing worked.
I tried turning off auto-save, deleting save files so I have only a few, turning off AA, playing with Steam off-line, and more that I can't remember.

From what I've read it's like it hates some PC setups for unknown reasons. Lots of people have the same problems with crashes that nothing will fix. I'd have finished the game by now if not for this constant torture, I just lost 20 mins of playing just now.

I hope there is nothing similar with the sequel as well.

poisonelf said:
It's been a crash fest for me too. I've read tons of suggestions from the steam forums so far nothing worked.
I tried turning off auto-save, deleting save files so I have only a few, turning off AA, playing with Steam off-line, and more that I can't remember.

From what I've read it's like it hates some PC setups for unknown reasons. Lots of people have the same problems with crashes that nothing will fix. I'd have finished the game by now if not for this constant torture, I just lost 20 mins of playing just now.

I hope there is nothing similar with the sequel as well.

I've gone OCD with pressing F5 thanks to this game. And for sure this is not a Steam related issue as I have the boxed copy.

poisonelf

I own both the Collector's retail version, where it crashed to the point that I gave up (before EE), and now the Steam version, with a new PC, where it crashes all the time...

I'm starting to think it's personal :p

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Currently replaying The Witcher via the Steam version and I've had two crashes so far with 31 total hours clocked.

Every PC RPG I've ever played has crashed multiple times over the course of a playthrough, so that's in line with expectations. Makes me a compulsive quicksaver.

iavi

EviLore said:
Currently replaying The Witcher via the Steam version and I've had two crashes so far with 31 total hours clocked.

Every PC RPG I've ever played has crashed multiple times over the course of a playthrough, so that's in line with expectations. Makes me a compulsive quicksaver.

Before the Witcher, I was playing Alpha Protocol... Every 5 minutes. Every. 5. Minutes. Ended up finishing it, as I loved the game, but seriously; I don't think I've ever raged on twitter so hard.

poisonelf

I had almost no crashes with Two Worlds 2 or Risen as far as I remember, perhaps a couple over the entire playthrough on Two Worlds as you say, but nothing close to the Witcher. Being a compulsive 'saver' is always good though.

The other thing with the Witcher is that most crashes take place when loading, and since there are loading screens for everything, fucking everything, there is little to do to avoid the crash. One more reason to be excited for the sequel, no loading screens :)

However all of the above are a testament to how great this game is, I wouldn't have subjected myself to this for almost any other game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I've had several crashes in 35 hours, the majority of them happened in the final gameplay part before the end of chapter 3. That part seemed a bit unstable, but the rest of the game wasn't problematic.

I'm also OCD about saving, though. I didn't realize that it creates a new save everytime I hit F5 so it takes forever to load my saves since there must be hundreds of them.

iavi

Snuggler said:
I'm also OCD about saving, though. I didn't realize that it creates a new save everytime I hit F5 so it takes forever to load my saves since there must be hundreds of them.

I'm not actually OCD about saving, as much as I should be. Bolded on the other hand? Drives me nuts. I'm the everything-absolutely-perfect-in-Itunes type. And having a cluttered list of saves might actually make me give the game up.
It did for Oblivon

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Miri said:
I'm not actually OCD about saving, as much as I should be. Bolded on the other hand? Drives me nuts. I'm the everything-absolutely-perfect-in-Itunes type. And having a cluttered list of saves might actually make me give the game up.
It did for Oblivon

You're not on an xbox. go to Documents\The Witcher\saves, select all the saves except the most recent few, and cut and paste to a new folder (for me, "Witcher old saves").

Minsc

Gold Member
2-5 crashes over the entire game sounds about right for me. It was a pleasant surprise, and I didn't hit many weird bugs either.

I also cleaned up my Witcher folder every once and a while, my running total of Witcher saves if I didn't delete them would probably max out a NGP game card I think. Hopefully for Steam's cloud sake a hearty few dozen of TW2 saves don't take up multiple GBs.

A lot of the non-major loading screens (enter a building / leaving the building) were nearly instantaneous which was nice, and I ended up preferring auto-save on, rather than off, as it came in handy a few times, and didn't really alter my experience either way.

iavi

EviLore said:
You're not on an xbox. go to Documents\The Witcher\saves, select all the saves except the most recent few, and cut and paste to a new folder (for me, "Witcher old saves").

Haha, yeah I know. In my stated example I actually was. I'm going to start using me some of that F5.

Enk

makes good threads.
Finally finished Witcher last night. Despite it being not as indepth with its character building as some other western RPGs I greatly enjoyed it. Some quick thoughts:

- My major choices in the ended up being:
- Triss
- Tried to stay neutral but I think I ended up siding with the Scoia'tael
- Chose to finish the Grand Master myself

- Played on normal but maybe I should've played on hard since I seemed to be overpowered most of the time (with the exception of fighting Javed)

- Chapters 2 and 3 began to drag for me after a while. I think it was due to running back and forth between the swamp and town most of the time

- This is one of the few games where I really had to sit down and think about my decisions. Even now that I'm done with the game I feel like I've made some wrong choices
(mostly with how I handle the Order and the Scoia'tael)

- Love the sense of humor this game has. Though one drunken night I had to stumble all the way from one side of town to the other to find a fireplace. Took about a good 5 -10 minutes of stumbling.

- I'm not really big into game stories these days but the one told here was done much better than most.

- Ending spoilers: It was pretty vague about it (at least in my ending) but is the game suggesting that
the Grand Master is Alvin

- Loved the music in the game. Especially in chapter 4 and beyond. I really liked the tune that plays at night when you're running through Murky Waters.

- Liked that the game doesn't have some big reveal
of Geralt's memories
. Seems like they're saving that for the sequel.

- Game crashed pretty often. Seemed like every gaming session resulted in at least one crash.

elseanio

I'm 29hrs according to steam (got the game 2 weeks ago) and had one crash. Game just froze up, and went to desktop. Hope this doesn't jinx it :D

Performance is just bearable in Trade Quater with view distance on medium.

Enk

makes good threads.
Ferrio said:

I thought that was a interesting little twist and one I didn't see coming. I didn't really get a sense from the Grand Master that he had ties in the past with Geralt. Kind of makes me want to go back and rewatch some of the interactions between Geralt and the Grand Master to see if there was anything I missed.

Do the choices you make in the conversations with Alvin early on have an effect on the Epilogue?

Top Bottom